• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plans derailed - suggestions welcome...

ChristineW67

Time of past OR future Camino
June "2014"
So, the good news is that I was offered my dream job (if a job could be a dream). The bad news is that the start date cuts sharply into my pilgrimage. I have been planning (since last August), to walk for six weeks from SJPDP. Now I only have three weeks and I have no idea what parts to cut. I do want a Compestela, because I need the slate cleaned from indiscretions of my younger and much wilder child. :)

I have tickets all the way to Biarritz and lodging the first night in SJPDP. So where would you go from there? What parts, if you must, would you skip? And what parts would you never want to miss? I think I can walk probably walk 25 kilometers per day, provided I avoid injury. I appreciate your input.

And even though I'm a little sad about not walking the entire way, I still feel thrilled that I'm going to undertake at least part of the way.

Love and Light,

Christine

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well, you have three basic options. The first is to start in SJPP and walk as far as you can in three weeks. Then come back next year, resume exactly where you left off, and finish. This of course delays the absolution of your youthful transgressions for a year. Which gives you roughly an additional 365 to rack up a few more indiscretions (more bang for the buck as we say in America).

Your second option is to walk from SJPP to Logrono (roughly 7 to 8 days), shoot forward by train and/or bus to say Astorga, and resume walking to Santiago. This skips the Meseta entirely (one of my favorite parts) and allows you to obtain your Compostela this year, thus putting your past to rest. The downside to this plan is that you will wonder what you missed walking from Logrono to Astorga.

A third option is to start in say Fromista and walk straight through to Santiago. This will give you a taste of the Meseta and gets you your Compostela this year.

Personally, I would vote for the first option, but then again, I don't know what the scope and magnitude of your indiscretions. Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Well, you have three basic options. The first is to start in SJPP and walk as far as you can in three weeks. Then come back next year, resume exactly where you left off, and finish. This of course delays the absolution of your youthful transgressions for a year. Which gives you roughly an additional 365 to rack up a few more indiscretions (more bang for the buck as we say in America).

Your second option is to walk from SJPP to Logrono (roughly 7 to 8 days), shoot forward by train and/or bus to say Astorga, and resume walking to Santiago. This skips the Meseta entirely (one of my favorite parts) and allows you to obtain your Compostela this year, thus putting your past to rest. The downside to this plan is that I bet you will wonder what it would have been like walking from Logrono to Astorga.

A third option is to start in say Fromista and walk straight through to Santiago. This will give you a taste of the Meseta and get you your Compostela this year.

Personally, I would vote for the first option, but then again, I don't know what the scope and magnitude of your indiscretions. Good luck with your decision and Buen Camino.
awesome answers! What is really great is that all three options are good options. Thanks so much.

Do start at SJPP and walk as far as you can - DO NOT go on to Santiago since you will then lose any motivation to return and finish it off properly - that walk into Santiago after all that time the effort and the experiences is a great high which should not be missed or lessened. They grant Compostelas every year - the clerks in Santiago will be happily waiting for you in the next year in the next decade or in your next reincarnation. Do not trade this feeling now for a piece of paper.

Your dream job may turn out to be a nightmare - who knows? If it is the dream job then you will get your holidays next year and will be able to go to Santiago to both give repentance for your past and thanks for your present? So - I would go with doing the Camino in two easy sections, start as you meant to start and stop when you run out of time ... you could take it really easy and still use less than the three weeks, which would allow you to be at home prepping for the new job, so, perhaps just go exactly half-way so that you have another exact half next year when you get your holidays ....
- apart from the alteration in your plans it sounds great news - you get the great job that you wanted and you get to do two Caminos!!!

of our wild pasts .... I always think of the new and young king, Henry V, who is sent tennis balls by the French dauphin - telling him to stay the wild boy he was rather than pretend to be an adult and make claims on the dukedoms of France (Shakespeare of course)
" And we understand him well,
How he comes o'er us with our wilder days,
Not measuring what use we made of them."

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I would start in Burgos, 500 km, perfect for 21 days, I would not skip parts in between. From Biarritz you can easily go to San Sebastián, and from there to Burgos there should be trains and buses fairly often.

Just follow the plan you have already set up, walk as long as you can, and come back again when you can. The camino will still be here.

As for atoning for youthful mischief -- walking a camino can't do that. Only grace can wash your sins away, and that comes free of charge, unearned. Camino walking, however, goes a long way to show just what "grace" IS, in a world where nothing comes without a price tag.

Congratulations on the wonderful job. I hope it is everything you have hoped for!

I would go with scruffy & Rebekah. Start at the beginning and go as far as you can, and then finish it up another time. I foolishly (but logically) skipped a bit on my first Camino, and could not rest until I had returned to do it again.

Maybe you could start earlier, if that might be a solution?
Otherwise, my preference would be to walk as far as you can and then return to complete your Pilgrimage. Anne

Yes I agree walk as far as you can from Sjpdp , then came b next year or what ever is possible, that way you could complete your Camino, unless you are one of the rare one's that get disappointed by the Camino and never want to come back or ever heard again about Camino de Santiago.

This would give you strength to carry on with your new job , even it is the dreamed one!

Buen Camino and enjoy every minute !

I'd say SJPDP to Roncevalles first, then Burgos to Santiago.
I think Roberts Second option is the best but for you to optain a compostela unfortunately miss out on the meseta which you may regret later. Remember its not the destination its the journey. walk as far as Sahagun or leon and then return when you build up your holidays in your dream job and complete you will be glad you did.

Wish you all the best in your new job for the future

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So, the good news is that I was offered my dream job (if a job could be a dream). The bad news is that the start date cuts sharply into my pilgrimage. I have been planning (since last August), to walk for six weeks from SJPDP. Now I only have three weeks and I have no idea what parts to cut. I do want a Compestela, because I need the slate cleaned from indiscretions of my younger and much wilder child. :)

I have tickets all the way to Biarritz and lodging the first night in SJPDP. So where would you go from there? What parts, if you must, would you skip? And what parts would you never want to miss? I think I can walk probably walk 25 kilometers per day, provided I avoid injury. I appreciate your input.

And even though I'm a little sad about not walking the entire way, I still feel thrilled that I'm going to undertake at least part of the way.

Love and Light,

Christine
Have you also considered an alternative Camino to finish in Santiago, then you could walk the Francés as planned at some time in the future maybe. If you cancel SJPDP accomodation you could maybe start in Leon and walk to join the Primitivo, or start in Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. You would need to factor in the travel time to get from Biarritz to Leon or Oviedo but it could be the way forward. For me a shorter camino and reaching Santiago was the most important deciding factor - and was the right decision for me.
Buen Camino

Have you also considered an alternative Camino to finish in Santiago, then you could walk the Francés as planned at some time in the future maybe. If you cancel SJPDP accomodation you could maybe start in Leon and walk to join the Primitivo, or start in Oviedo and walk the Primitivo. You would need to factor in the travel time to get from Biarritz to Leon or Oviedo but it could be the way forward. For me a shorter camino and reaching Santiago was the most important deciding factor - and was the right decision for me.
Buen Camino
Hi Tia Valeria,

Its funny you should mention this, because I was just logging on to take a look at other routes. I have been pouring over Frances guidebooks and memoires since August that I guess I completely forgot about other options. I was thinking Primitivo too. Thanks for offering suggestions. I just love this forum.

christine

I only have three weeks and I have no idea what parts to cut. I do want a Compestela, because I need the slate cleaned from indiscretions of my younger and much wilder child. :)
I have tickets all the way to Biarritz and lodging the first night in SJPP
And it's in SJPP where I would start, leaving all options open. By the time you have walked a week or so, you'll have the "hang" of what, when and how. Consider the various aspects of the previous postings, which all have their merits, and just go ahead! To Santiago you'll get, one way or the other!
Ultreya!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walking the Camino gives me a clean slate? That means no push-ups in purgatory for me now that I walked the Camino last summer? That rocks!
:D

Walking the Camino gives me a clean slate? That means no push-ups in purgatory for me now that I walked the Camino last summer? That rocks!
:D
Yup! That's right, Mark. And it cuts your time in purgatory by half. I'm not Catholic, but I'm borrowing this idea.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
And it's in SJPP where I would start, leaving all options open. By the time you have walked a week or so, you'll have the "hang" of what, when and how. Consider the various aspects of the previous postings, which all have their merits, and just go ahead! To Santiago you'll get, one way or the other!
Ultreya!
Thank you for saying this. A week on the way will help me sort issues. I get so caught up in the timing and planning of things that are so very often out of my control.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Maybe you could start earlier, if that might be a solution?
Otherwise, my preference would be to walk as far as you can and then return to complete your Pilgrimage. Anne
I do wish I could start earlier - like tomorrow! But my youngest of 5 sons graduates high school on June 13th. 5 boys, 5 diplomas - and I'm tired! I fly on the 15th, just enough time to clean up after the grad party!

Hi Christine,
Take a walk from Leon and see the Cross de Ferro, all parts are great.
Trevor

If you're going through Paris you could get a cheap flight to Porto and walk the Portuguese. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. I have managed to squeeze a few more days free so I have just a day or two shy of a month. I've decided to start in SJPD as planned on the 17th of June and just try my best to keep options open. I'll know more of my capabilities after the first week. My backpack kit is complete and my boots are broken in. That's good enough for now.

Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. I have managed to squeeze a few more days free so I have just a day or two shy of a month. I've decided to start in SJPD as planned on the 17th of June and just try my best to keep options open. I'll know more of my capabilities after the first week. My backpack kit is complete and my boots are broken in. That's good enough for now.
Great solution, you will no the answer as you go. Who knows you may finish anyway.
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.