• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Plastic Water Bottles and the Camino

jirit

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Periodically the question of using or purchasing plastic water bottles is raised.

Most know that fresh potable drinking water on the Camino Frances in Spain, is readily available from the numerous fountains that line the route. Even on the lesser traveled routes fresh clean water is almost aways available for free. Therefore it is completely unnecessary to "purchase" water in plastic water bottles. By taking a sustainable refillable container instead and refusing to use single plastic disposal water bottles, we collectively go a long way to keeping the camino a little more cleaner and the environment and our world just a bit more safer.

It is important to remember that even recycled plastic rarely "disappears' from the environment and much of plastic bottles simply ends up in landfill sites or along the trail in fields and rivers. Even with advances in the manufacture of plastic bottle the average time for a plastic bottle to completely degrade is at least 450 years. It can even take some bottles 1000 years to biodegrade! Four million plastic bottles are simply thrown away in Spain alone. Sadly most plastic even as it degrades into small particles, simply ends up in the ocean, where marine life later consumes it. Now in the food chain this means we are consuming this very same plastic!

The same applies to plastic bags and containers, and other single use plastic items.

Please keep this in mind as you organize your equipment list for your camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just don't understand how people have been conned into thinking that bottled water is necessary. In Australia we have had good potable water supplies in our cities and country towns for over 100 years. In the 1980s, when the marketing of bottled water here started, we laughed at the idea of paying for something that came free out of taps. Nothing about our water supply has changed since then, yet bottled water is ubiquitous.

I usually buy two 600ml water bottles at the beginning of my walk, and keep them and refill them, but you have me thinking that this time I might take my two aluminium ones instead.

I grew up in Norway and am used to very, very good water straight from the tap and admit to being a bit fussy about water. I don't like the taste of water from metal containers and don't like adding to the huge amounts of plastic waste by buying bottles, so I have bought a Water-to-Go filter bottle which I use at home as well as when I walk. I usually bring or buy one other bottle to keep water to refill my filter bottle. I think the water tastes better and I never have to worry about the quality of the water in taps or fountains. I'm very happy with it. Great for air travel as well - just empty it, take it through security, and fill it up from the tap in the toilets on the other side. No need to buy that overpriced water bottle for the flight.

Just a few facts about plastics that you either knew, or had forgotten, or were simply afraid to ask.

http://ecowatch.com/2014/04/07/22-facts-plastic-pollution-10-things-can-do-about-it/

And a lesson of the Camino, is that we discover new things from doing the Camino that we can now incorporate into our everyday lives. Bottom line it ain't just a Camino problem but a global problem.

Something to consider as you make your way to Compostela.

I personally prefer re-filling a plastic water bottle that I carry from start to finish (particular favourite is the plastic bottle for CABREIROÁ - a Galician bottled water supplier, as it is strong and comes from Galicia). I find that metal water containers are noisy (why oh why do so many peregrinos seem to knock them about during the night) and the water in metal containers also seems to end up tasting horrible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Still and all, I continually recommend to anyone who will listen that the "best" (IMHO) solution to this question is to use two or more 500 ml water bottles, first purchased full of spring water, mineral water, or some other product. There are many method for toting these two bottles.

But, like other issues, this is one of those "belly-button" issues in the Forum. Everyone will have one...an opinion. I respect each opinion. Mine just happens to be different, and is based on actual experience and background knowledge of plastic recycling...

Personally, over three, soon to be four Caminos starting this coming Thursday, I have used NiteIze "Clip n' Sip" stainless steel clips to fasten the bottles to the front of my rucksack harness or waist belt. This keeps the bottles handy, and moves at least 1 Kg of weight to the front of my harness, improving weight distribution. It is not necessary to carry bottles in the side pockets of your rucksack.

Actually, I regularly carry four such 500 ml bottles, to allow for carry of my required protein powder-based supplements, rehydration powder mix, and plain water. So, this moves two kilos to the front of my harness.

While I respect the environmental aspects of the argument, this is still no reason to go all "hair-shirt" on this issue. I advise acting responsibly. Most alternative carrying systems (plastic bottles metal bottles, bladder systems, etc.) are heavier even when empty, retain odors, and cost more.

I originally planned to use a 2-liter bladder system with my Osprey rucksack, but discovered that the bladder system weighed 11 ounces when empty, compared to the comparable volume of four empty 500 ml bottles weighing about TWO ounces. The total carrying capacity was still two liters of water, but the four, 500 ml bottles allowed me variety the type of beverage carried. The bladder systems can never do this.

That is when I made the decision to switch to the free, reusable, recyclable water bottles. In addition, as the bottles become unserviceable, usually after a month or more of daily use, I recycle them appropriately, preferably in a container labeled for this purpose.

I would like to note in passing, that nearly ALL micro fleece clothing is typically made from recycled water bottles. That is how the original product "Polar Tec" was invented. It was spun-down fibers from processed, recycled soft drink and water bottles obtained from plastic recyclers. Most all the other micro-fleece material and garments (usually vests, jackets, vests, and gloves) are derivatives from this invention. So, very good alternatives for respecting the entire product cycle of this ubiquitous bottles do exist.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I was a confirmed water bladder advocate for many reasons - ease of use, lengevity and it all woorked quite well until one time in Burgos when I filled it from the albergue tap. first sip and it was disgusting. Very strong chlorine taint so I dumped it all out at the first fuente and refilled but (was it me?) the bladder never tasted the same again.

Now it's two 500ml bottles at the start - refilled at taps and fuentes - and sipped through a SmarTube.

I wouldn't buy bottled water normally.

I am 62. I have survived to this age without carrying water bottles with me night and day, at home, in the car, or at work (for 20 years in the tropics). Never. I have more than the 'recommended' amount of caffeine per day (though as a physician I am very sceptical of recommended amounts) , and black coffee is my main source of fluid outside of cooking. I have never bought in to 'three litres a day' nor any other slogan. I have walked on camino five times, and completed several marathons without any rigid policy of hydration, and certainly not pre-hydration, nor ever used any additive salts. I do drink bottled water on marathons, just for the convenience. Generally, I do what my grannies did - I use common sense. I DO carry water with me on the camino. I usually buy a plastic bottle of water at the airport on arrival in Spain and refill it from nearest tap whenever it is empty. It will easily last three or four weeks. On the road, from a fuente, at base from the bathroom or kitchen in the albergue. I don't pay too much attention to signs advising me on potability or otherwise. I kind of look at it and see if it looks clean.
I am totally respectful of what other people wish to do, but I don't have to agree with them. And I certainly shy away from telling other people what they should do. Sometimes in the tropics I needed to boil water, whether from a domestic tap or a well or whatever, and filter it. I am hugely aware of the problems of waterborne diseases and have spent a lot of time treating them. But Spain is a developed country. I think bottled water is a con, and I buy the one bottle per camino, for the bottle not for the water. I quite often use a bladder which I bought six years ago. in my rucksack. Again I fill it from the bathroom tap. Every so often I think I ought to clean it, though I don't know how, and I have never got around to it yet.
I am open to advice on what is the best thing to do with my single plastic bottle at the end of the camino.

Last edited:
I am 62. I have survived to this age without carrying water bottles with me night and day, at home, in the car, or at work (for 20 years in the tropics). Never. I have more than the 'recommended' amount of caffeine per day (though as a physician I am very sceptical of recommended amounts) , and black coffee is my main source of fluid outside of cooking. I have never bought in to 'three litres a day' nor any other slogan. I have walked on camino five times, and completed several marathons without any rigid policy of hydration, and certainly not pre-hydration, nor ever used any additive salts. I do drink bottled water on marathons, just for the convenience. Generally, I do what my grannies did - I use common sense. I DO carry water with me on the camino. I usually buy a plastic bottle of water at the airport on arrival in Spain and refill it from nearest tap whenever it is empty. It will easily last three or four weeks. On the road, from a fuente, at base from the bathroom or kitchen in the albergue. I don't pay too much attention to signs advising me on potability or otherwise. I kind of look at it and see if it looks clean. I am totally respectful of what other people wish to do, but I don't have to agree with them. And I certainly shy away from telling other people what they should do. Sometimes in the tropics I needed to boil water, whether from a domestic tap or a well or whatever, and filter it. I am hugely aware of the problems of waterborne diseases and have spent a lot of time treating them. But Spain is a developed country. I think bottled water is a con, and I buy the one bottle per camino, for the bottle not for the water. I quite often use a bladder which I bought six years ago in my rucksack. Again I fill it from the bathroom tap. Every so often I think I ought to clean it, though I don't know how, and I have never got around to it yet.
I am open to advice on what is the best thing to do with my single plastic bottle at the end of the camino.

Absolutely agree with you. And about plastic botlles on the Way: Please if you feel you are carring to much weight, take your bottle, empty it ( it could be a good present for any plants ) and carry it with you until the moment you can put it into a recycling container. You can do it too, with every single bottle, can, piece of paper, etc you find on the Way. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
I have more than the 'recommended' amount of caffeine per day (though as a physician I am very skeptical of recommended amounts) , and black coffee is my main source of fluid outside of cooking.
There's a recommended amount of caffeine per day? Black coffee is my main source of fluid too!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Personally, over three, soon to be four Caminos starting this coming Thursday, I have used NiteIze "Clip n' Sip" stainless steel clips to fasten the bottles to the front of my rucksack harness or waist belt. This keeps the bottles handy, and moves at least 1 Kg of weight to the front of my harness, improving weight distribution. It is not necessary to carry bottles in the side pockets of your rucksack.
Based on the last time I read this tip I ordered a Clip n' Sip and have used on multiple 15 mile hikes. I really like it! Thanks so much for passing this info along. I use it in conjunction with my SmarTube. Great set up. The lady who introduced me to the idea of doing the camino (she walked a few years ago) saw my set up and said "Where did you get that??" She said she is ordering one also. Very handy gadget....

Attachments

• 152.JPG
    152.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
On my Sept '15 camino I bought two 500 ml bottles in Pamplona - one lasted to Leon, having been refilled countless times. In Leon the bike shop man gave me one advertising his shop - it managed to last for the rest of the trip and home to Oz. So maybe I will take it back in May '17 and add another el-cheapo 500 ml for balance and re-filled both/either as I go.
This is a good topic - gets us thinking about the environment - both the personal and the global aspects. Cheers

Last edited:
There are no WRONG answers. Like so many issues in this Forum, matters of personal preference are just that. In the end, whatever works best for you...works best for you! It is what it is. That is it.

All we, and I extend this to all the veteran pilgrims who contribute here, beg you do do is to be a responsible bottle owner and user if you choose to use the plastic bottles as I do. Acting responsibly, especially when your trusty, cheap, and easy to live with 500 ml plastic bottles no longer have utility, means disposing of the bottle appropriately.

No, the drainage ditches to either side of much of the Camino ARE NOT appropriate disposal containers for unneeded plastic bottles, or ANYTHING else for that matter. If it ain't water (urine is okay guys), it does not go into the drainage ditch, period. I WILL send Rebekah to nag and haunt you...

The one admonition I would add to everything said here is to please, please drink enough water and appropriate liquid refreshment as you walk. Once you no longer have the need to urinate, as inconvenient as it may be for some of the ladies, you are dehydrated. Having enough liquid to "make water," "water the grass," or whatever euphemism you choose means you have more than your body needs at the moment for cell metabolism and joint lubrication, among other uses.

I had three, short but scary "dirt naps" last April walking from Porto. In other words I had three, sudden onset syncope (fainting) episodes over five days. Very embarrassing! My cardiologist and internist, not to mention my family, back in the States were NOT amused. Being a 60+ large fellow, they put me through a complete battery of diagnostic tests when I returned. The official diagnosis was "stupidity" compounded by failure to hydrate properly and replenish lost blood salts. I accepted the medical diagnosis sheepily...

Starting my next Camino, from Madrid on Thursday, I intend to "force hydrate." Based on discussions with my doctors, I plan to consume 500 ml of non-alcoholic liquid every hour, whether I am thirsty or not.

I have fruit-flavored rehydration salt tablets, purchased in a running store. Nuun make a complete line of these tablets, Crack them in half to get them in a 500 ml bottle, shake and voila! instant rehydration solution. I have also used Camelbak brand tabs to good effect on past Caminos.

The basic plan is to alternate plain water, hydration solution, then liquid protein (whole different medical issue) on a three-hour, rotational schedule, thirsty or not, after I have my "breakfast" protein drink and coffee. MUST have coffee...coffee is life!

I hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I found that a front waist pack that holds two bottles worked better for me. I just didn't like something clipped to my straps. I'm also bringing the two plastic water bottles I've been using in it. They have that nice pull top, which is easier than un-screwing a top. I like to have water with me on the plane, so will refill them in the airport after going through security.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @Seabird - just wondering which waist pack you have please?
I ordered three different ones from Amazon, and this is the one I kept. My 8" tablet fits inside, which holds my guidebooks and music (for the ukulele I'm bringing). The bottle holders are deep enough that the bottles are secure (unlike one of the packs, in which the bottles tended to tumble out). And I really like the straps that go around the bottle holders. You can snug up the pack, similar to the pack lifter straps on a backpack.

Of course, with the bottles full, the waist pack sags down some. But I adjust the tension so it sits at a comfortable position. I've used it multiple times, with and without my full backpack, and I find it works well for me.

That looks great! Thank you. I fear I have made some poor decisions in buying equipment even though I did a lot of research beforehand :(
Buen Camino

I ordered three different ones from Amazon, and this is the one I kept. My 8" tablet fits inside, which holds my guidebooks and music (for the ukulele I'm bringing). The bottle holders are deep enough that the bottles are secure (unlike one of the packs, in which the bottles tended to tumble out). And I really like the straps that go around the bottle holders. You can snug up the pack, similar to the pack lifter straps on a backpack.

Of course, with the bottles full, the waist pack sags down some. But I adjust the tension so it sits at a comfortable position. I've used it multiple times, with and without my full backpack, and I find it works well for me.

Hi, Seabird, so glad to see someone else with a waist pack as dorky as mine! I carry two half liter REI bottles, one in each of those little side pockets, and it is all quite comfortable. Though it certainly makes having a "sleek uncluttered" look impossible!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One thing I haven't seen addressed in this discussion is whether it's a good idea to re-use disposable plastic bottles. I was under the impression that the plastic breaks down quickly after the first use and may have things leeching into the water that we wouldn't want to ingest. I have stopped doing that, maybe out of an abundance of caution, and bring some of those PBA-free bottles. Then refills from the tap.

One thing I haven't seen addressed in this discussion is whether it's a good idea to re-use disposable plastic bottles. I was under the impression that the plastic breaks down quickly after the first use and may have things leeching into the water that we wouldn't want to ingest. I have stopped doing that, maybe out of an abundance of caution, and bring some of those PBA-free bottles. Then refills from the tap.

Hello peregrina2ooo. I have been using plastic bottles for years and years, refilling it dozen of times. Never have a problem with it. BUT! I usually clean the bottles daily including taps them refilling it.

That looks great! Thank you. I fear I have made some poor decisions in buying equipment even though I did a lot of research beforehand :(
Buen Camino
@auldies - don't beat yourself up! It's an evolving process. I've made several changes after I bought some things. I started with a smaller waist pack and swapped the poncho I bought for a different one. And I invested in a nice Patagonia jacket, which I've decided to leave behind. These are some of the biggest changes (and money), but we can only make the decision that seems right at the time. As one forum member gently reminded me, it's good for me to let go of being the most prepared pilgrim ever. Because, despite all the "right" decisions beforehand, everything may get all changed up on the path, anyway.

Buen Camino and Ultreya!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Seabird, so glad to see someone else with a waist pack as dorky as mine! I carry two half liter REI bottles, one in each of those little side pockets, and it is all quite comfortable. Though it certainly makes having a "sleek uncluttered" look impossible!
Yes, dorky is the word, isn't it! There's nothing flattering about it, but it balances well with a pack on my back. Here's a pic for anyone considering whether s/he wishes to be seen in one.Kingsport1.jpg

Do you have a link for these please?
I can't seem to find them on their website.
Thank you.

Run a Google or Bing search for "nite ize drink n clip." Recently I found that this handy product disappeared from Nite Ize's web site. It might be discontinued, which would be a shame. However, if you run the web search, you will locate available sources of the clips that you can order them from.

To my friends and fellow pilgrims living out of North America, I know for a fact that sporting and running shops in Europe carried this product last summer. So, it is worth searching on your local search engine to find shops in our area that you can buy these from, or order them from, while supplies last.

Even if they stopped making these handy gadgets, there should be some in the supply chain for months to come. However, if you find them, I advise you BUY THEM at any reasonable price, IMHO. FYI, the original list price from Nite Ize was USD 3.99, plus shipping, tax, etc.

There are similar products out there. I have tried some. But, I find that the Nite Ize variant works best for me. Also, be sure to secure the clip to any bottle neck using a silicone "O" Ring from your local DIY shop. The #18 "O" ring works best, IMHO. Yes, it is difficult to get over the bottle neck. But once it is on, holding the clip to the bottle neck, it WILL NOT come apart.

I hope this helps.

I was a confirmed water bladder advocate for many reasons - ease of use, lengevity and it all woorked quite well until one time in Burgos when I filled it from the albergue tap. first sip and it was disgusting. Very strong chlorine taint so I dumped it all out at the first fuente and refilled but (was it me?) the bladder never tasted the same again.

I've had exactly the same experience. I've added plently of lemon juice to my water and will leave it overnight, hopefully that will sort the problem out. If not, I'll probably switch to plastic bottles (I have a Vapur collapsable bottle which I'll be taking).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I try to use the minimal amount of throwaway plastic here in the US and never buy bottled water. Plastic water bottles are one of the biggest waste of money and they are one of the worst polluters of the environment (along with those stupid little plastic grocery bags).
On all my CF's I bought 2-3 bottles of water in the 1/2 liter size while in SJPdP and used them the entire Way, refilling them at fountains and taps. The only reason I don't carry reusable pack bottles is because I carried-on my pack the whole way on the airlines, and having two water bottles adds to the packs size (I scrunch and tie it down as small as possible).
DON'T buy plastic water bottles everyday!
http://plasticparadisemovie.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
it's good for me to let go of being the most prepared pilgrim ever.

Thank you @Seabird. I can definitely relate to the above.
Feeling a little better about some of the equipment choices that haven't worked out (pre Camino) after your kind words and my man's encouragement.
Carol
PS I don't think your waist pack looks at all dorky :)

I am still using the plastic water bottle that I bought (full) in NZ nearly three years ago. My wife is disgusted, but it does get a rinse every so often :rolleyes:. I use it around town, but not on walks, where I use a bladder. Weight is not my major consideration there, but the convenience of the bladder over every other solution that I have seen when it comes to having water readily available when I want to drink it. I am no longer sufficiently flexible to reach a bottle stowed on the side of my pack, and while there have been some impressive hooks, straps and other bottle holders explained over the years, they all seem to me to be more cumbersome than a bladder valve. That said, if I weren't using a bladder, I would be joining the buy a bottle (or two) on arrival brigade, and refilling them along the way.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Feeling a little better about some of the equipment choices that haven't worked out (pre Camino) after your kind words and my man's encouragement.
Carol
We all get to where we need to go, one way or another. And thanks for the vote of sartorial confidence.

Yes, dorky is the word, isn't it! There's nothing flattering about it, but it balances well with a pack on my back. Here's a pic for anyone considering whether s/he wishes to be seen in one.View attachment 25007
Not dorky at all. What would you say about mine then? ;)

PS (Although it's a photo hip-pack with two side pockets ideal to fit 500ml bottles)

Attachments

• 1583-Bostjan on Praza do Obradoiro (Santiago de Compostela, 22.06.2011).jpg
    1583-Bostjan on Praza do Obradoiro (Santiago de Compostela, 22.06.2011).jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 41
Not dorky at all. What would you say about mine then? ;)

PS (Although it's a photo hip-pack with two side pockets ideal to fit 500ml bottles)

Well, much the same as I would say about mine..... We have good sense and good taste.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Plastic bottles have the right to make it to Finisterre too!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Carol

I've had a look and as is often the case when we Aussies see something that would be so good for our Camino eg. the Waterfly waistepack - "this item does not ship to Australia" :(
I've done the same, bought so many things, only to decide later that "it's not quite what I wanted" or I see an alternative that would be better. I'm not going until September, but I feel as if there is some rush that I get everything I need.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.