• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please critique my Camino Frances May/June 2022 General Plan!

CA_Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
El Camino Real de California
Camino Frances (2017)
Hey fellow pilgrims! I'm just beginning to research hiking the Camino Frances in May/June 2022 so that I arrive in Santiago on my 65th birthday. I've built a spreadsheet to understand distances and locations of alberques that were known to be open in 2021. I used a list recently published somewhere on this forum.

Since I have lots of time, I've allowed myself 6 weeks to complete the trek from SJPP to Santiago. My goal is to average about 12 miles (20 Km per day) with a built in rest day after every 7 or so days of hiking.

Though plans are still very tentative, I would like to meet up with my wife somewhere between Leon and Sarria to hike the last segment together. From Sarria on we plan to use Deluxe hotel accommodations booked through Camino Ways.

I plan on carrying everything myself except possibly from when I meet up with my wife we might do pack forwarding and only carry light day packs (TBD).

QUESTIONS:
  1. Any suggestions for towns of interest for my rest days?
  2. Anyone planning to travel the same days and wanting to hike some of it with me, at least until I meet up with my wife (assuming that happens).
  3. Anyone have experience with pack forwarding services? Are they reliable?
  4. Anyone have experience with Camino Ways premium hotel bookings? Are they really premium?
  5. Anyone have experience with Camino Ways dinner bookings? Are they worth the extra?

Attachments

• CA_Pilgrim Camino Frances Plan May-June 2022.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 106
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This sounds like a wonderful plan.

But if I may critique it ;)

Any suggestions for towns of interest for my rest days?

You may not know ahead of time when you need a rest day. Your body will tell you! You may also prefer to keep moving, but just take 'short' days as a rest. Really anywhere can be a nice rest day. But of course there are larger towns that have a few more 'sights' to offer.

Burgos, Logrono, Leon, Astorga, Ponferrada etc

But consider also, that on a rest day you might want to rest and not walk around much.

Anyone planning to travel the same days and wanting to hike some of it with me, at least until I meet up with my wife (assuming that happens).

Be careful what you wish for LOL. To plan to meet a stranger and walk together in my view is unlikely to work. You might not like them, have nothing in common or worse, walk at a totally different pace.

Be aware that you will make friends within hours of leaving your start point!

Anyone have experience with pack forwarding services? Are they reliable?

Yes, I have had to use JacoTrans. They were 100% reliable. But there are others.

Anyone have experience with Camino Ways premium hotel bookings? Are they really premium?

Haven't used them, or any other agency. Not sure I saw many 'Premium' hotels on that section from Sarria. You could just book your own of course. Very easy on booking dot com

Anyone have experience with Camino Ways dinner bookings? Are they worth the extra?

No, haven't used a service for dinner bookings. Again, you could do a bit of research and book them yourself, but I guess you are after the convenience factor.

Your Plan

Just regarding your pdf plan, it would appear that you have selected places to stop based on distance.
Be aware, that there may be limited accommodation options.

Amenal for example has one place to stay as I recall, whereas Lavacolla, a little further on has many choices at all budgets.

Also, just in my view, I would suggest just booking one or two days ahead at most.
At least till Sarria.

I have seen many Caminos ruined with Pilgrims trying to maintain a schedule of booked accommodation, which through injury or other reasons, they struggled to maintain.

By all means have a plan............but hold it loosely!

I have a very detailed plan for my next Camino, but it's just a plan.
It will go 'out the window' by day 2 or 3 I'm sure.
But the planning was just a 'vehicle' for me to look at the route, and towns, and distance options.
Who knows what will happen or how I will feel once my feet hit the trail.........

I too build in rest days.
But it is more about making sure the total number of days for my Camino is achievable, rather than stopping in a specific place.

plan.jpg

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Where is your wife flying (I assume) in from?

I ask because my experience is that the Camino will take your best laid plans early on and turn them topsy turvy. It is nice to hear that you have time.

You may need more or fewer rest days (my first rest day on my first Camino was decided on by my soaked sock blisters, not on how nice the town was), may not walk the speed you hope (I averaged 18 km.day, but I'm older than you), the weather may turn ugly (my first Camino was rain the first 3 weeks), etc.

If you are walking in from SJPdP, you will be able after about 2 weeks to generally predict your speed of travel. Then you and your wife will have a better idea of where you will be, when. She may be able to purchase tickets more last minute, according to your actual travel speed.

I am also planning to walk my third Camino May - July 2022, probably from Somport, to Puenta de la Reina, then onto SdC. My husband wants to meet me in SdC so we can travel together around Spain. My dilemma is how to predict the unpredictable. That is, when I'll arrive in SdC, how much time I'll need to decompress, etc.

Others on this forum can tell you their experiences with pack forwarding services, pre-booking accommodations, etc. I never used them and I traveled solo. Nevertheless, don't let anyone suggest you are less of a pilgrim if you do. Your pilgrimage is a pilgrimage of the heart, not of the weight on your shoulders (which should be lifted if you do it right, wink, wink).

Buen Camino. We may meet after all.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When in Burgos, see the museum of human evolution. It is the archeological laboratory and research home for the Atapuerca dig site. It is *astonishing* as a collection. If you are able to on the day *before* you get to Burgos, stop at the Atapuerca dig — they offer tours.

In 2018 we had plans for me to meet my DH roughly at Leon, but he started to have shin splits slowing him down after he had been almost sprinting from Saint Jean…. He just had felt so good and so free… Anyway, for the days when I was actually in transit to Madrid, I just kept an eye on his location using “find my friends” on our phones. I didn’t want to wait for him for 2 days in Leon, so I had him wait one night for me, and I met him in Fromista. I advise that you consider Fromista forward to roughly Astorga as your set of possible days just as a more practical time-frame for “what if you slow down/what if you speed up” variations.

All the rest that I would say has already been said by @Robo.

BC

When in Burgos, see the museum of human evolution. It is the archeological laboratory and research home for the Atapuerca dig site. It is *astonishing* as a collection. If you are able to on the day *before* you get to Burgos, stop at the Atapuerca dig — they offer tours.

In 2018 we had plans for me to meet my DH roughly at Leon, but he started to have shin splits slowing him down after he had been almost sprinting from Saint Jean…. He just had felt so good and so free… Anyway, for the days when I was actually in transit to Madrid, I just kept an eye on his location using “find my friends” on our phones. I didn’t want to wait for him for 2 days in Leon, so I had him wait one night for me, and I met him in Fromista. I advise that you consider Fromista forward to roughly Astorga as your set of possible days just as a more practical time-frame for “what if you slow down/what if you speed up” variations.

All the rest that I would say has already been said by @Robo.

BC
Totally agree with the Museum of Human Evolution. My first Camino, I didn't visit it, although I was having rest day in Burgos. My second, I did and I am soooooo glad I did. It ws amazing.

Totally agree with the Museum of Human Evolution. My first Camino, I didn't visit it, although I was having rest day in Burgos. My second, I did and I am soooooo glad I did. It ws amazing.
Stones and bones evolutionary anthro is “adjacent” to my field (medical anthro) and archeology is DH’s first love….so stumbling right through the Atapuerca river bed and then into the museum…. Well that’s just a gift I won’t ever forget…

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with @Robo. It's good to have a very loose plan, and to be aware of the opportunities along the way. I would definitely listen to my body and take rest days (if necessary) depending on how I felt, or if a town was interesting rather than "it's day 8, time to take a rest day." You might prefer to take a rest day in Pamplona after just 4 days of walking, because it's a more interesting place than Los Arcos. And I noticed that you haven't listed Logroño as a stop. I loved Logroño, especially doing a tapas crawl with my fellow pilgrims on Calle del Laurel - a rest day after an evening of tapas, beer and wine would be my choice, if I were to take rest days. However, prefer doing a couple of shorter stages in a row to "rest." More easily achievable if you book into a private room on night between the two short days. For instance I walked 20 km from Sansol to Logroño, stayed in a pensión, slept in after the tapas crawl, had a leisurely breakfast, then walked a short 12 km to Navarette.

You asked about "deluxe" hotels between Sarria and Santiago - as @Robo also said, you are unlikely to find any 4 or 5 star hotels in this stretch. Some booking companies will book you into hotels that are not walking distance to the Camino, and you will need to call a taxi to get there. Use Gronze.com to look at hotels. They first list the albergues and less expensive accommodations. For a special treat book the Parador in Santiago.

And as far as dinners - dinners are easily sorted, and you may want to dine with friends that you meet along the way.

Many of us here live to plan/help plan Caminos, so please use this wonderful resource to find some hidden gems!

Another thought - if it works out for you and your wife, rather than her joining you in Sarria, think about a couple of days earlier and meet in O Cebreiro instead. Much more interesting than Sarria, and you can take the lovely route through Samos. Spend the night there and see the monastery.

Also, rest in Sahagun, not El Burgo Ranero.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Where is your wife flying (I assume) in from?

I ask because my experience is that the Camino will take your best laid plans early on and turn them topsy turvy. It is nice to hear that you have time.
Thanks for the reply Kathy. At this point it is very much just an idea. She may or may not join me depending on many competing work and family events. After your post, input from others, and thinking it through a bit more I think I'll build in a rest day prior to the day she is scheduled to arrive. That gives us a bit of buffer for mishaps. As the time approaches, and it becomes a bit clearer whether she will come, we'll check out the possibilities for her arrival airport. She will be departing out of LAX, so I'm sure there will be some choices in destinations.

And I noticed that you haven't listed Logroño as a stop. I loved Logroño, especially doing a tapas crawl with my fellow pilgrims on Calle del Laurel
I also loved Logrono with its beautiful main street that comes alive with happy locals as the sun sets in the evening. The variety of tapas offerings was outstanding and the drinks were very reasonable.

Another source of answers to questions like the luggage forwarding services may be found using the Forum Search Engine. It may help find recent posts as well.

I wish I could recall the specific thread, but recently a pilgrim who had used a camino planning service was upset that due to unexpected problems which had cropped up, she could not keep up with her pre-reserved lodgings and schedule developed by here camino planning company.

As easy as it is to use hotel.com or booking.com or Gronze to locate and get lodgings booked, I have never used a planning service, so I can't give a personal recommendation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Robo did a great job of answering your questions.

To add to the refrain - do not use a tour service! I too have come across tour pilgrims who are taking cabs every couple of days because they can’t keep up.
Or, they found a town or hotel they love and want to stay longer..but couldn’t!

Using distance as your only criteria to determine your walks can be problematic. You also have to account for altitude differences! I met a woman and her daughter from FL who had practiced for their camino together…but had great difficulty on mountainous areas. So they had to use taxis. In addition what about weather? Suppose you hit a very high winds and heavy rains?

Packing service -From Roncevalles, Recommend using Correos.
Correos is the postal service in Spain. Highly reliable. There service is called. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/rucksack-transfer

They offer a flat fee service from your starting point to your final destination. The print out labels are easy to use and most of all, making changes is so simple. A quick email the night before and almost an instant response. They are very helpful..some companies charge for changes in your schedule, Correos does not!

Use booking.com for your hotels or accommodations. Their website gives you lots of information and ratings of places. Further info about a place to stay go to tripadvisor.com. Spending time researching your options is part of the fun of planning it. I usually stay in a mixture of places. There are not a lot of 4 star hotels along the Camino. In Sarria, Hotel Alfonso IX lists itself as a 4 star hotel and it may have been a four star once upon a time, but no longer. Many tour companies use it. But there are better accommodations in Sarria.

Lastly, do not prebook dinners…

Last edited:
I would definitely recommend against booking dinners. On my first Camino in 2008 as a newbie I went with a company and dinners were part of the package. We often had to pass by lovely looking spots to go to our booked restaurant, also we were at the mercy of whatever opening hour that was set ( often too late for us). On later Caminos we often caught the tail end lunch menu around 4 pm, and just had something light later on..
A 5* recommendation for Sarria is the restaurant beside the Hotel Roma.
Very easy to book nice accommodation through booking.com. Also Caminofacil has excellent luggage service.

One caveat to using booking.com or other hotel booking sites - make sure to cross reference the place on Gronze. On the booking sites they will list places that are in or near the town that you want to stay in, but not necessarily close to the Camino. Gronze will tell you if it's directly on the Camino, or how far off the Camino it is. I know people who have discovered that they need to take a taxi to their booked accommodations, and that there are no other pilgrims nearby.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Planning is great but you know the saying -, 'Man Plans - God laughs' or something like that.
Robo, Trecile, Faye and everyone else have all given good advice - it is easier to get a gauge on things once you have starting walking. Working out your days based on KMs alone doesn't allow for the size of the place for accommodation - small places may not have a lot, or the terrain, which can vary a lot too. And you'll find it easy to book ahead yourself if you want to. If you dont want to phone you can use Booking.com - super easy.

I would like to meet up with my wife somewhere between Leon and Sarria to hike the last segment together. From Sarria on we plan to use Deluxe hotel accommodations booked through Camino Ways. I do not recall many deluxe hotels, in this section - but plenty of nice places to stay. I can share the name of a few if you are interested. When you've met up with your wife, you may find apartments a good option to rent as they come with washing machines, all the amenities, great beds, lots of space and are very nice. Over 2 different Caminos we found a really nice one in Arzua, and another in O Pedrouzo.

I plan on carrying everything myself except possibly from when I meet up with my wife we might do pack forwarding and only carry light day packs (TBD). It will be easier to meet up with your wife in places that are more accessible for transport. I'd suggest Astorga (2 days walking out from Leon), a lovely town, lots to see, and the first day out for her is a very gentle incline she will barely notice. You'll also be able to get a nice hotel there. On my last trip we booked a large apartment on the town square and it was a nice treat. But it will depend on how far you have walked, you can decide closer to the time. On my second Camino my cousin who was working in London wanted to join us for a week. So we worked out where we would be in 2 days time, and he made his way there, I had booked a bed for him, and he walked for a week and went back to London. (Oh the wonder of PreCovid days)

QUESTIONS:
  1. Any suggestions for towns of interest for my rest days? It will depend on how you feel at the time and the weather, and also what you are interested in. All the bigger cities have plenty to see. Burgos - definitely the Museum of Evolution - really good. Ponferada has a Templar castle to visit. If you are into Westerns you could visit the Sad Hill Cemetery ( I think a taxi would be required - someone else will know that info). At Sarria its worth a side trip to Lugo. Sometimes you may just want a short day, instead of a whole day off. You have enough days to see Finisterre or Muxia, or both, after Santiago. You may also want to walk longer days after the first week or so, as you get "Camino fit'.
  2. Anyone planning to travel the same days and wanting to hike some of it with me, at least until I meet up with my wife (assuming that happens). You will find plenty of people to walk with, without preorganising.
  3. Anyone have experience with pack forwarding services? Are they reliable? I used Jacotrans, they were excellent and easy. There are others as well. The envelopes are in the albergues, just fill them out , put the money in and attach to your pack with the band supplied. Its that simple ,you dont have to preplan.
  4. Anyone have experience with Camino Ways premium hotel bookings? Are they really premium? No Never used them, I book ahead by a day if at all. I wouldnt want to lock myself into a schedule. Booking my own accommodation also means I check the location and get on or every close to the Camino for convenience (and because I dont like to backtrack)
  5. Anyone have experience with Camino Ways dinner bookings? Are they worth the extra? Never done that either, and never would. Getting dinner is always easy, you can usually choose albergue dinners or go out to a cafe or restaurant etc. I think I only once had a 'bad' dinner over 3 Caminos - and that just made for a good excuse to go out and try Tapas.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Booking.com is convenient but it's far better for the owner of a place if you book it with them directly. Booking chargeso high fees, burdening the establishments for our convenience. So use Booking.com to get a general picture, then get in touch directly via phone or WhatsApp. The other advantage of doing this is that you may find places available even if Booking shows them to be full.

You have a good deal of advice/suggestions/experience already offered.

My small offering is to remind you that 2022 is a Holy Year, so it is reasonable to anticipate a large rise in the number of pilgrims vying for accommodation, particularity in the last 100 kilometres or more before SDC.

Hey fellow pilgrims! I'm just beginning to research hiking the Camino Frances in May/June 2022 so that I arrive in Santiago on my 65th birthday. I've built a spreadsheet to understand distances and locations of alberques that were known to be open in 2021. I used a list recently published somewhere on this forum.

Since I have lots of time, I've allowed myself 6 weeks to complete the trek from SJPP to Santiago. My goal is to average about 12 miles (20 Km per day) with a built in rest day after every 7 or so days of hiking.

Though plans are still very tentative, I would like to meet up with my wife somewhere between Leon and Sarria to hike the last segment together. From Sarria on we plan to use Deluxe hotel accommodations booked through Camino Ways.

I plan on carrying everything myself except possibly from when I meet up with my wife we might do pack forwarding and only carry light day packs (TBD).

QUESTIONS:
  2. Anyone planning to travel the same days and wanting to hike some of it with me, at least until I meet up with my wife (assuming that happens).
  4. Anyone have experience with Camino Ways premium hotel bookings? Are they really premium?
  5. Anyone have experience with Camino Ways dinner bookings? Are they worth the extra?

There are a few extremely pleasant paradors along The Way, at which you might consider staying overnight, should you find yourself afflicted by pains attributable to a bulging wallet:

Hotel Restaurante San Antón Abad
+34 947 58 21 50

Hotel Real Monasterio San Zoilo
+34 979 88 00 50

Parador de León
+34 987 23 73 00

I stayed at the first two and am very glad I did. Have not yet stayed at the last one.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You have a good deal of advice/suggestions/experience already offered.

My small offering is to remind you that 2022 is a Holy Year, so it is reasonable to anticipate a large rise in the number of pilgrims vying for accommodation, particularity in the last 100 kilometres or more before SDC.
Yes! You would do well to monitor availability.. book thr firs few nights out of SJPdP and then monitor, especially from Sarria to SdC.

One caveat to using booking.com or other hotel booking sites - make sure to cross reference the place on Gronze. On the booking sites they will list places that are in or near the town that you want to stay in, but not necessarily close to the Camino. Gronze will tell you if it's directly on the Camino, or how far off the Camino it is. I know people who have discovered that they need to take a taxi to their booked accommodations, and that there are no other pilgrims nearby.
A very good point, @trecile. When I was planning my 2020 (cancelled camino) doing the 2nd half of the Norte and on to Muxia, I had to often take a much closer look at the offerings available on booking.com. I discovered some that were listed were too far off the path to consider. I was glad I discovered this ahead of time and made arrangements elsewhere.

QUESTIONS:
Everyone is different. Your plan looks good. I have walked the Camino twice before and am starting from home on April 16th 2022 and returning home on May 29th. I know the Camino well and have attached my plan for your review By the way, I am 76.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

QUESTIONS:
I recommend you reconsider the locations of your rest days. Burgos is a MUST! Leon is also worth additional time. As are Ponferada & Astorga. Pack forwarding is extremely reliable. We used this service throughout our Camino & never had a problem. Only stipulation is that you know where you are stopping on the days you use the service, & make the arrangements by phone for pickup & delivery the night before.

A very good point, @trecile. When I was planning my 2020 (cancelled camino) doing the 2nd half of the Norte and on to Muxia, I had to often take a much closer look at the offerings available on booking.com. I discovered some that were listed were too far off the path to consider. I was glad I discovered this ahead of time and made arrangements elsewhere.
Yep! That is true…someplaces are not on the camino…but usually, if one reads the reviews and ratings (location) one gets a sense of how far off it is, or whether the owner will pick out up the guest.

One of the great advantages of using booking.com is that all the reservations will be together in a folder on-line, makiing it easy to peruse, change and cancel reservations all in one place. When I am staying in one or two places , I try to contact establishments directly. But when I may need to change accommodations everyday, having them all organized and easy to manipulate is worth it to me. I may need to shift 10 or more reservations. Doing it with a company like booking makes it easy.

Doing it with a company like booking makes it easy.
I love booking.com for all the reasons you list, @Marbe2. It is so appreciated and when I had to cancel 20+ reservations because of covid in 2020, it worked a charm...can't say that about the three airline reservations I had booked for four people.🙄

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Robo did a great job of answering your questions.

To add to the refrain - do not use a tour service! I too have come across tour pilgrims who are taking cabs every couple of days because they can’t keep up.
Or, they found a town or hotel they love and want to stay longer..but couldn’t!

Using distance as your only criteria to determine your walks can be problematic. You also have to account for altitude differences! I met a woman and her daughter from FL who had practiced for their camino together…but had great difficulty on mountainous areas. So they had to use taxis. In addition what about weather? Suppose you hit a very high winds and heavy rains?

Packing service -From Roncevalles, Recommend using Correos.
Correos is the postal service in Spain. Highly reliable. There service is called. https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/rucksack-transfer

They offer a flat fee service from your starting point to your final destination. The print out labels are easy to use and most of all, making changes is so simple. A quick email the night before and almost an instant response. They are very helpful..some companies charge for changes in your schedule, Correos does not!

Use booking.com for your hotels or accommodations. Their website gives you lots of information and ratings of places. Further info about a place to stay go to tripadvisor.com. Spending time researching your options is part of the fun of planning it. I usually stay in a mixture of places. There are not a lot of 4 star hotels along the Camino. In Sarria, Hotel Alfonso IX lists itself as a 4 star hotel and it may have been a four star once upon a time, but no longer. Many tour companies use it. But there are better accommodations in Sarria.

Lastly, do not prebook dinners…
Thanks Marbe!

Regarding altitude, I think I'm Ok there. We like in the Santa Ynez Valley with mountains all around us. We hike weekly to various peaks. Just a few days ago, we replicated the uphill hike from SJPP to Orrison with no problem and then turned around and went back down! Next week we are doing a Grand Canyon Hike down and up Bright Angel Trail.

Your other points are very well taken and seemed to be echoed by a lot of folks. I sincerely appreciate the feedback!! Loke the Postal Service recommendation. I plan to look into this, but currently still thinking of doing a minimal pack and carrying it, at least on the first part when I'm alone.

Seems like the general consensus on the booking sites is NO, particularly on the dinners. Points well take from everyone. Again thanks!

I would definitely recommend against booking dinners. On my first Camino in 2008 as a newbie I went with a company and dinners were part of the package. We often had to pass by lovely looking spots to go to our booked restaurant, also we were at the mercy of whatever opening hour that was set ( often too late for us). On later Caminos we often caught the tail end lunch menu around 4 pm, and just had something light later on..
A 5* recommendation for Sarria is the restaurant beside the Hotel Roma.
Very easy to book nice accommodation through booking.com. Also Caminofacil has excellent luggage service.
Thanks! Great advice and really appreciate the restaurant tip!

Awesome piece of advice. Double thanks!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Anyone planning to travel the same days and wanting to hike some of it with me, at least until I meet up with my wife (assuming that happens). You will find plenty of people to walk with, without preorganising.
Thanks Anamiri for taking the time for such well though responses. Very much appreciated! Regarding the quoted response, I've received this same advice from several people, so it seems it's just newbie jitters on my part. Looking forward to the opportunity to meet an talk with fellow pilgrims from all walks of life.

I did not see this one coming! Thanks for the heads up!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There are a few extremely pleasant paradors along The Way, at which you might consider staying overnight, should you find yourself afflicted by pains attributable to a bulging wallet:
Thanks so much for the recommendations!!

QUESTIONS:
I have what might be a really easy plan for you. It is tons of fun to plan. Been planning my 1,100k trek from Sevilla to Muxia and maybe beyond for months. I leave Sunday. I have printed my plans because I like to look at them. Sunday morning I will check my backpack again, look at my plans and toss them in the garbage. Then when I start I will just walk. On the less traveled caminos you do have to check where the next town may be. Sometimes it is 20-25+K. On the Frances you don't have those worries. So walk. When your body tells your brain you are a little tired stop. When your body tells you brain eat, you eat. When your body tells your brain that's it there ain't no more you stop for the night. Wake up and repeat. When you meet a pilgrim that you feel a connection to chat, when you feel like chatting. Walk with others when your heart wants it and walk alone when your heart needs it. Traveling from town to town on the CF is easy. So no worries where you meet your wife. You will be reunited very easily. Then enjoy your time together. You do not need to pay some service for something you can do yourself. If you want to stay in luxury if it is available check the web, ask at the hotel you are at. Call them directly or have the hotel you are staying at call the next stop because booking services take a chunk out of the profit of hotels and they have taken a beating. Don't rush off to eat at a predetermined restaurant. Who knows you might actually get into the albergue life and want to eat a communal meal with new friends or at a local restaurant with them. Sitting around a table with 8 or 9 new friends from points all over the world is far more memorable and enjoyable than a fancy dinner. It is easy to know where to stop. You have time. If your body tells you to rest then rest for a day. If you walk into a town or city and are enchanted or moved to stay then stay.Believe me, this is true. Enjoy the experience, let it unfold as body, mind and spirit dictates. Buen camino
Also if you disagree you can throw this in the garbage like I throw my plans :)

Hello Ca member, did you decide to go with Camino Ways? We are planning a trip for Aug of 22. Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Some food for thought - for me, a native Californian now living in Oregon, the idea of planning for the California Mission walk is much more daunting than planning a Camino! Especially the Camino Francés.
Why? Because of the pilgrim infrastructure in Spain. One could literally show up in St Jean Pied de Port with no reservations, plans, or even gear and find everything that they need right there in that small French town, including a built in community who will help you along the way. You don't even need a map or guidebook as the route is so well marked.

+34 947 58 21 50

+34 979 88 00 50

Parador de León
+34 987 23 73 00

I stayed at the first two and am very glad I did. Have not yet stayed at the last one.

Here area few hotels/places I have stayed at over the years.

I stayed at the Hotel Anton Abad in 2015. Maybe it's been renovated since then. So that may account for our different perspectives? The room we had was worn, fixtures broken,our aircon (it was hot) did not work. And when we had dinner, the wine they served us had turned sour and the food was less than mediocre. We chalked it up to part of our camino experience but would not go back. ..But IMO definitely not four stars! I would not stay there for the price .

Hotel Real Monasterio San Zoilo is worth the splurge! It is so tastefully done! Rooms were large, beds were excellent, spotless, and excellent food. My favorite!

There is a Parador in Villafranca del Bierzo. It is rather a bland concrete building. But it is clean, serves meals..so so, t depends upon what you order (skip the Lamb).

Hotel Roncevalles is a nice place to stay. Clean with comfy beds and Very good food!

Leon - I stay at Hospederie Monastica Pax…run by the Benedictines ( not 4 stars but great quality) The rooms are large and comfortable and the facility is spotless. You can join the sisters for Vespers or Compline.

Astorga… Hotel Spa via del Plata… close to 4stars. It is a suite with a sitting/living room. IMO the best hotel in Astorga. Lots of the hotels need renovations in Astorga. This one was-terrific.

Hope this helps your planning!

+34 947 58 21 50

+34 979 88 00 50

Parador de León
+34 987 23 73 00

I have to confess to staying in the first two.

Both really nice. and a great experience.

San Zoilo in particular is an amazing experience, complete with 'guest only' cloisters.....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks Marbe!

Regarding altitude, I think I'm Ok there. We like in the Santa Ynez Valley with mountains all around us. We hike weekly to various peaks. Just a few days ago, we replicated the uphill hike from SJPP to Orrison with no problem and then turned around and went back down! Next week we are doing a Grand Canyon Hike down and up Bright Angel Trail.

The good news is that on the Camino Frances, altitude is a non factor in terms of oxygen uptake or altitude illness. There is no elevation high enough on the Camino Frances to be an issue in terms of altitude sickness or oxygen pressure levels. The highest point is at Cruz de Ferro, which sits at about 1,530 meters/5,020 feet.

Hiking uphill and gaining elevation requires two separate fitness issues that must be dealt with:
  • cardio fitness
  • leg muscle strength
Walking parts of the Frances will require some long uphill grades and many shorter uphill grades. These grades can exceed 30% at times, though most are an average of around 12%. That requires lifting body weight vertically, in addition to propelling it forward, for hours on end.

Cardio fitness is NOT an indicator of leg muscle tone or strength for prolonged uphill walking. In fact, paraplegics can have exceedingly excellent cardio fitness. You CAN use the strength exercises to help build Cardio-fitness, however.

Flat landers who do not focus on both of those two fitness areas will have difficulties walking uphill for prolonged periods of time. They also may confuse their shortness of breath and muscle fatigue as an altitude-related issue, when it is actually a fitness issue.

If either of the two areas are not fit enough, then compensation must be made by dramatically slowing walking speed/pace, and much more frequent, but short, rest stops. Even then, it will not be fun.

If hills are not available to do walking, then a treadmill that can exceed 14% incline will work (you can elevate the front legs on a treadmill if needed). Stair climbing, partial squats, step platforms, etc. can be added to a fitness routine.

Studies show that issues like shortness of breath or illness, for most normal individuals, will begin to appear past 8000 feet/2438 meters. So if one is going to exceed that elevation for mountaineering or backpacking, than a bit of acclimatization is advisable; but it is not needed for the Camino Frances where the elevation stays well below 8000 feet/1890 meters.

Even the Camino Vadiniense, which I believe reaches the highest elevation of all Spain's camino routes, only reaches 1785 meters/5886 feet.

When I did my through hike of the Colorado Trail, I would be going from about 905 feet/276 meters to elevations between 8,000 to 13,000 feet /2438 to 3963 meters. I spent 3 days in Vail, Colorado (8,150 feet/2485 meters), and then another two days in Leadville, Colorado (3094 meters/10,051 feet).

For the Camino Frances, no special acclimatization needed. :)

I’d recommend at least considering more time in Estella, either instead of stopping at Villatuerta, and definitely instead of a rest day in Los Arcos. I had a rest day in Estella and it was a highlight of my Camino (just the section to Burgos). We stayed at the Hostería de Cortidores which has private rooms and dorms that look straight out onto a beautiful turquoise river with herons, kingfishers, Muscovy ducks and local children diving up stream after school! The town itself is a decent size but not massive; it’s quaint, full of history, and has plenty to see at a leisurely pace (churches, a museum, rock formations, wildlife, etc). Plus you can sit on a small gravel beach in the town by the river and just while away time. We had a heron right by us for half an hour there. I wouldn’t miss it out; one of my favourite places! It’s infinitely more interesting than Los Arcos where I think you’d struggle to do much on a rest day besides… rest with a book?
I’ll be returning to resume my own Camino from Belorado to Sarria, on May 21st 2022. I don’t imagine we’ll cross ways but maybe?

QUESTIONS:
Hello CA-Pilgrim. We are doing roughly the same as you and your wife. I am starting my Camino on the 16 of May, I am pre booking all my accommodation prior. My wife is flying in from Australia and we will meet up in Burgos to continue on from where we left off in 2018. I’m only planning to walk an average 20 km per day and have allowed 37 days with no rest days. I do suggest to book your own accommodations it is a lot cheaper, all the best and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
lso if you disagree you can throw this in the garbage like I throw my plans
🤣 Thanks for the advice. Yes, perhaps I'm overthinking it. As an American who has never been on the Camino before it's difficult to conceive of being able to hike from town to town and have such wonderful infrastructure support.

Hello Ca member, did you decide to go with Camino Ways? We are planning a trip for Aug of 22. Thanks!
Too early for me to be making any reservations. I'm not starting until around May 11 (2022) or so (TBD). I'll probably not use them based on input I'm getting but it's still TBD.

the idea of planning for the California Mission walk is much more daunting than planning a Camino!
It did take a lot of planning for me. Expedia and Amtrak made it a lot easier. These days we now have Uber and Lyft as a reliable tool for much of the Mission Trail. The most difficult sections were between Mission San Miguel and Mission Soledad. It's VERY rural with little infrastructure. It also gets VERY HOT between Mission San Miguel and Mission San Antonio. The topography makes heat accumulation in that area problematic in the summer months. Although I had an amazing stay at the historic Hearst Hacienda Lodge just outside the gates of Mission San Antonio.

Let me know if you need any help in planning. Also this link is really good: https://missionwalk.org/.

€46,-
Here area few hotels/places I have stayed at over the years.
Thanks! I'm developing a "recommended" and a "not recommended" List using Microsoft OneNote. That way it syncs with my phone and I'll have the information with me as I travel.

Let me know if you need any help in planning. Also this link is really good: https://missionwalk.org/.
Considering that it's less expensive to fly to Spain and walk the Camino, I don't know if I will attempt the Mission Walk. Butch Briery gave me a copy of his guidebook a couple of years ago, and I might do a section or two some day.
My post above was just to let you know that if you can plan and do the Mission Walk, the Camino is a piece of cake!

The good news is that on the Camino Frances, altitude is a non factor in terms of oxygen uptake or altitude illness. There is no elevation high enough on the Camino Frances to be an issue in terms of altitude sickness or oxygen pressure levels. The highest point is at Cruz de Ferro, which sits at about 1,530 meters/5,020 feet.

Hiking uphill and gaining elevation requires two separate fitness issues that must be dealt with:
  • cardio fitness
  • leg muscle strength
Walking parts of the Frances will require some long uphill grades and many shorter uphill grades. These grades can exceed 30% at times, though most are an average of around 12%. That requires lifting body weight vertically, in addition to propelling it forward, for hours on end.

Cardio fitness is NOT an indicator of leg muscle tone or strength for prolonged uphill walking. In fact, paraplegics can have exceedingly excellent cardio fitness. You CAN use the strength exercises to help build Cardio-fitness, however.

Flat landers who do not focus on both of those two fitness areas will have difficulties walking uphill for prolonged periods of time. They also may confuse their shortness of breath and muscle fatigue as an altitude-related issue, when it is actually a fitness issue.

If either of the two areas are not fit enough, then compensation must be made by dramatically slowing walking speed/pace, and much more frequent, but short, rest stops. Even then, it will not be fun.

If hills are not available to do walking, then a treadmill that can exceed 14% incline will work (you can elevate the front legs on a treadmill if needed). Stair climbing, partial squats, step platforms, etc. can be added to a fitness routine.

Studies show that issues like shortness of breath or illness, for most normal individuals, will begin to appear past 8000 feet/2438 meters. So if one is going to exceed that elevation for mountaineering or backpacking, than a bit of acclimatization is advisable; but it is not needed for the Camino Frances where the elevation stays well below 8000 feet/1890 meters.

Even the Camino Vadiniense, which I believe reaches the highest elevation of all Spain's camino routes, only reaches 1785 meters/5886 feet.

When I did my through hike of the Colorado Trail, I would be going from about 905 feet/276 meters to elevations between 8,000 to 13,000 feet /2438 to 3963 meters. I spent 3 days in Vail, Colorado (8,150 feet/2485 meters), and then another two days in Leadville, Colorado (3094 meters/10,051 feet).

For the Camino Frances, no special acclimatization needed. :)
Thanks, Dave, for clarifying regarding the altitude issue. I was thinking about grade but it may have been expressed awkwardly. Not even a 2000 meter mountain on the CF to climb.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Echoing what LTNY and VNwalking said: when possible, make your reservations directly with the hotel/hostel/casa rural. They have really taken a hit financially and b00king.c0m takes a fee from them. And if it matters, you may well get a cheaper price or a room upgrade.

I don't think you mentioned if you speak a little Spanish (do at least get a foundation of tourist Spanish) but even if you don't, you can contact accommodations via WhatsApp. There are a good number of templates of what to say to ask for a room (someone here - or I - can point you to one) - and it will endear you to hotel staff that you're an English speaker that is at least trying to communicate in their language.

Buen Camino! G-d willing, I'll be on the Francés then too.

Last edited:
Thanks Anamiri for taking the time for such well though responses. Very much appreciated! Regarding the quoted response, I've received this same advice from several people, so it seems it's just newbie jitters on my part. Looking forward to the opportunity to meet an talk with fellow pilgrims from all walks of life.
I forgot to point out that I think you're going at the best time. May/June is lovely.

Thanks, Dave, for clarifying regarding the altitude issue. I was thinking about grade but it may have been expressed awkwardly. Not even a 2000 meter mountain on the CF to climb.

I didn't read your specific post to CA_Pilgrim, so I went back and read your original full text and it seems pretty clear that your were talking about the physical effort of achieving altitude/elevation gain and not about the stuff I posted about. :)

I have read posts from time to time in the past from new members which had expressed concerns about the effects of altitude and oxygen levels. That made me think about doing a post covering both aspects of the subject. I actually thought your post had good information on the topic.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My wife and I walked SJdPP to Santiago aged 61/60 and took 45 days to do it, generally having a rest day/short day every 7 days. So I agree with your approach!
Locations of our rest days/short days depended on the attractions of the town (Pomferada, with its fine castle and library), some early accomodation woes (we taxied to Pamplona when Zubiri, Larosuana were both full and taxied back to resume the walk), festivals (Pamplona and Longronno), a nearby site we wanted to explore (Vega del Valcarce) and need for a rest (Villafranco del Berzo).
Most of these stops were not known prior to us getting there.
We also varied our daily distance depending how we felt and the accommodation options we met. Often we avoided the 'official' stages and enjoyed the little villages.
We had the pre-covid luxury of not booking ahead, in fact I only booked one night and due to my error arrived a day early but all ok, so basically none of our camino was planned out. The weekly rest days just seemed to suit us.
Final bit of advice: Remember 'Plan' should be a Verb and not a Noun!
i.e. it is good to do the planning but do not be bound by 'the plan'.
Have a great camino!

QUESTIONS:
Without taking time to read through all the other replies to see if someone else has already mentioned this, I only have two suggestions re your itinerary.

1 - stop at Estella rather than Villatuerta. There's more to choose from in the evening

2 - IMO there would be nothing to do in El Burgo de Ranero for a rest day (except rest). If it was me, I'd push on for two more days and take the extra time To pilgrim watch near the cathedral in Leon

Most of all Burn Camino

CA_, it was fun to read this post, as it always gets me excited to 'plan' a camino. As others have already stated, make your plan then put it in your pocket and follow your heart on the Frances! I want to offer one critique (my own 'lesson learned' from my walk on the Frances)... and one suggestion:
1- Consider reflecting on those 'side trips' or 'must see' places along the Frances. There are posts on this forum regarding 'must see' places along the route, as well as short side trips (via feet or bus) that I did not take into consideration whilst planning. Eunate and Samos, are two of the most popular. With your schedule, you will have time to consider these and still take your rest days. I'm planning my next CF to incorporate everything I missed on the last (not a process that I'm disliking!) I'll paste a couple links below in case you are interested.
A bonus note: gronze.com, camino ninja and other apps are exceptional resources and provide for greater flexibility when the plan goes out the window ;)
A short note on rest days: some pilgrims find that they cannot rest (their shoes call them at 6 am on their rest days) --so being in a place where you can actively rest is a good idea. Also, there are those that walk 5-10k on their 'rest days'. Depending upon your personal schedule and traveling style, this may be a technique for you.
2- My suggestion: I think you would enjoy the Le Puy route. Planning is more of a consideration, as most hostels prefer you book ahead--it's almost a necessity; and most hostels come with both breakfast and dinner -- and they are typically exceptional home-style french country meals. It's a completely different feel of Camino, and an exceptional walk of which I am particularly fond. Maybe one for the future!

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/camino-must-see.65884/
https://galiwonders.com/en/blog/10-essential-places-on-the-french-way/

Buen Camino, neighbor. Enjoy your walk, and wishing you a happy birthday in Santiago!

Consider reflecting on those 'side trips' or 'must see' places along the Frances. There are posts on this forum regarding 'must see' places along the route, as well as short side trips (via feet or bus) that I did not take into consideration whilst planning. Eunate and Samos, are two of the most popular. With your schedule, you will have time to consider these and still take your rest days. I'm planning my next CF to incorporate everything I missed on the last (not a process that I'm disliking!)
But also realize that it's really impossible to go to every "must see" place on the Camino - you can drive yourself crazy trying to do "everything."

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.