• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Please help me decide which way to go!!!!

Wich way should I walk?!

• Total voters

Paulo Arantes

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Apr/May 2017
Frances Oct/Nov 2024
Hi! I am a first time peregrino planning on doing a way of Santiago on May next year. First I was planning on doing the French way but I am kind of afraid of it being too crowded (I am looking for a more solitary experience). So I started to research and found that the Via de La Plata is a less crowded way and with many people saying it is the most beautiful, but I would not be able to make it on 5 weeks.
So, what do I do. Do I make the french way (may be it is not that crowded and is as beautiful) or do I walk the Via de La Plata shorter, like starting on Merida or start in Sevilla but some stages I do by car?!

Thank you.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Paulo, welcome to the forum.

May will certainly be busy on the Camino Frances, but it might be hot on the Via de la Plata (especially in the southern parts). There are other alternatives, especially if you prefer solitude, as shown on this site. Then search the forum for posts about any of the routes that interest you.

As you learn more about the alternatives, feel free to ask any specific questions that you have.

Ok, there is another difference between the two ways (actually several):

The VdlP can be, at least in its southern part, be already very hot in May.
There is far less flexibility on the VdlP when it comes to the length of stages compared to the CF. You have the cloice between very long 30+km and very short <20km stages.
As for having only 5 weeks, start wherever you want, there is no law that you have to start at a certain place to do a 'whole Camino', the only exception being that for qualifying for the Compostela you have to walk, amongst other conditions, at least the last 100km to Santiago.

Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I think you'd enjoy the French Way very much and 5 weeks is a good amount of time to do it.
Sure, it can be a bit crowded in some spots, but every time I walked it I saw empty beds in albergues quite frequently. The overcrowding issue is often exaggerated on this forum.
Either way, I suppose there is no wrong choice.
cheers

The overcrowding issue is often exaggerated on this forum.
Or maybe the overcrowding issue is very unpredictable and seems to go in waves. Some reliable forum members report crowding and some reliable forum members report that there were empty beds, even at the same time although not on exactly the same segment of the path. I expect that none of them were exaggerating. Either there is an empty bed or there isn't. The overall notion of "too crowded" is very subjective.

Cheers!

The Camino Del Norte is a little less crowded. It is a little longer but completely do-able in 35 days.

Jim

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I don't know about the first 700 km of the Frances, I was lucky to walk them in 2007 and 2012, but the last 100km on the Frances (May 2016) was mahem. Even 2013, Burgos to Leon was getting a bit loud en route, and you could most often see people ahead and behind you.

The Portuguese is also an option, and from Lisbon could be done in 5. Some guidebooks show it done in 30 stages. Taking a few days off, making some stages shorter, 5 weeks would work.

So, what do I do...............................

Thank you.

Hello Paulo Arantes,,,,,,,,,,How I envy your dilemma.

So, what do you do? May I please suggest one of the following.............
(A) Flip a coin
(B) Trust your own judgement
(C) Ask a friend
(D) Blindfold yourself and stick a pin in a list of choices
(E) Contemplate your navel

Whatever you decide,
Buen (best for you choice) Camino

The Camino Del Norte is a little less crowded. It is a little longer but completely do-able in 35 days.

Jim

Jim is right! Also, I always take the opportunity to promote the Norte! (It is the only route I have done, but that is because I love it!)
The ocean views, the harbour villages, the hours of solitary walking (no other pilgrim in sight) and the companionship at the hostels!

So much joy!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Or maybe the overcrowding issue is very unpredictable and seems to go in waves. Some reliable forum members report crowding and some reliable forum members report that there were empty beds, even at the same time although not on exactly the same segment of the path. I expect that none of them were exaggerating. Either there is an empty bed or there isn't. The overall notion of "too crowded" is very subjective.
Either way, certainly nothing to be afraid of, or cause of any concern. Carpe diem....
Why stress over any aspect of a holiday? Walk without fear.

Don't think of your journey being a "Trip of a lifetime" think of the experience of being part of your lifetime. Don't think you can find all answers before the first step. Go, go where your heart tells you and you will soon find any preconceived notions don't fit. Our experiences and stories will help you but the best advice I can share is GO!.......... Ultreya..... Willy/Utah/USA

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Billion likes to Willy :)

full

I walked in late may to late june in 2015 and only ever had accomodation issues in one town.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Paulo

if you are looking for a solitary experience I would go with the Via de la Plata, as it has less people walking it but the number of allburges is more limited.
I walked the whole Plate and from Leon of the french in the summer of 2010. I found the Plata to be a better experience in thinking than the french.

Debra

Wow!! Thank you ALL for the replies.
I decided to walk the French way this time since it is my first time and "Carpe Diem".
I'll have less concerns about the route and any difficulties I have, I'll look at them as opportunities to learn more about myself.
Again, thank you all.
I'll start my walk on April 13.
Buen Camino!!!

Walk the Ingles for your solitary time (takes a casual 4-5 days), then do a shorter portion of another route.

All good time in all things . . . . . .

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The mere fact that there are empty beds does not say much about the crowdedness on the CF. There are much more albergues along the CF. I did not walk the CF, but when after walking the Primitivo I reached Melide the crowdedness on the last stages of the CF came as quite a shock to me ( much more than I expected beforehand)

Walk the Ingles for your solitary time (takes a casual 4-5 days), then do a shorter portion of another route.

All good time in all things . . . . . .
He walked back in April 2017, but it is still a good recommendations for his next camino. He has some photos posted for his walk.:)

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back