• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Portuguese coastal camino in Nov

Barkley

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2023
We are thinking of walking the Portuguese Coastal Camino in November. Would love to hear from the experiences of other and open to advice & suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked several sections of the Camino Portuguese last November but then also walked the whole thing in March this year. Both were spectacular with great walking weather and cool but not cold temps. Be prepared for rainy days though which featured at both times I walked. Less pilgrims on the trail in November than there were in March but neither time was too busy. The biggest difference was the shorter walking days in November with it beginning to go dark around 4.00 pm….having said that, I always found the time between dark and ‘beer and food time’ to be mystical and cozy in the ancient villages and towns where I was staying. Very few tourists in November so it’s a delight to witness the true local communities going about their lives. Spain and Portugal are so family focused in their cultures, it is always a joy to observe several generations of families out in the squares and bars enjoying time together. Bom Caminho/Buen Camino !

One additional thing that I should have mentioned……I walked the coast from Porto up to Vilar do Conde and then cut inland to join the central route. I would advise you to do the same in November as storms at this time of year can be pretty fierce making constant coastal walking a bit of a ‘sand and spray fest’ !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One additional thing that I should have mentioned……I walked the coast from Porto up to Vilar do Conde and then cut inland to join the central route. I would advise you to do the same in November as storms at this time of year can be pretty fierce making constant coastal walking a bit of a ‘sand and spray fest’ !
Isn't Vila do Conde just a 1 1/2 days out of Porto? I was thinking of doing the coastal starting in late October to finish my convoluted camino. I know there is always the chance of high winds and rain especially that time of year. Did you make your decision to go to the central route based on weather forecasts or from locals who warned against it? Thanks for your help.

Isn't Vila do Conde just a 1 1/2 days out of Porto? I was thinking of doing the coastal starting in late October to finish my convoluted camino. I know there is always the chance of high winds and rain especially that time of year. Did you make your decision to go to the central route based on weather forecasts or from locals who warned against it? Thanks for your help.
Hello…..no not really. I wanted to sample coastal walking for a couple of days but was attracted more to the variety of landscape and cultural aspects of the central route so I crossed over. I feel that I experienced the best of both worlds. The thought of trudging on day after day up the coast on tarmac, boardwalk and sand was way less appealing. I would also be wary of November storms rolling in from the Atlantic.

I have thou
Hello…..no not really. I wanted to sample coastal walking for a couple of days but was attracted more to the variety of landscape and cultural aspects of the central route so I crossed over. I feel that I experienced the best of both worlds. The thought of trudging on day after day up the coast on tarmac, boardwalk and sand was way less appealing. I would also be wary of November storms rolling in from the Atlantic.
i have thought about that the potential for really foul weather. I walked the central from Lisbon in 2017. I am doing a “combo camino” this year. Doing the Camino Vasco to the Meseta and then in Leon taking the bus or train to Porto. Wanted to walk the coastal for awhile. I love walking along the ocean but maybe not during typhoon season. I’ve been thinking of waiting till I get the Porto and then checking out the long-term weather forecast. Then I will decide whether to play it safe and walk up the central again, or roll the dice and walk up the coast. Thanks for your advice.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I walked the coastal litoral from Porto in October/November '21. The weather was great and I even got a swim in. Walked in shorts most of the time, and had only one rainy morning. That being said, I was prepared for storms and cold weather. There were a few other pilgrims around. I loved it.

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
What a wonderful day walking by the sea! My backpack felt good, my dry bag with poncho strategically clipped to the outside was handy! My first stop was in a bakery cafe near the mouth of the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back