• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preferred Boots or Shoes in the UK???

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I have been asked by a man from the UK who is having difficulty finding footwear for the Camino.

He has some over=pronation issues and hasn't been able to find appropriate footwear.

Can you folks in the UK steer me to some of the boots or shoes THAT YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY WORN on the Camino and where he might shop?

Thanks!
Annie

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We favour the Hi-Tec boots which have removeable insoles with arch support. Hi-Tec, and others produce differing insole inserts also which might help.
Our own boots have been the Altitude IV Waterproof.
The Hi-Tec site has a list of stockists in the UK, although some only have limited variety.
Can you give the general area of the UK the person lives, which might help to give a recommended stockist (of any boot)

I rely on Brasher Hillmasters, the recent remodelling has successfully addressed a long term issue with heel lifting. Previously I used heel wedges to help with fitting. The fitting service in Cotswold, or Field & Trek are as good as you are likely to get.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I second Tincatinker, the Cotswold Outdoor boot fitting service is excellent, they measure your foot and send you up ramps and down rocky slopes to make sure the fit is right - and there is no pressure to buy. I have got a wonky heel since I walked the Frances last year and they have fitted me with two pairs of boots since, one leather and one goretex. (Scarpa and Salomon respectively) They also have a good range of insoles to replace the normally quite flat footbed - I use Superfeet and love them!

I third the recommendation for Cotswold. They make a point of recruiting staff who have spent longer in the outdoors than it takes to pick up the next video game, and always give good advice. On my last long Camino I wore North Face boots, which were incredibly comfortable but started to crack (without failing completely) towards the end. I got full money back and I almost felt guilty having walked a Camino Frances in them, so I bought a replacement pair there and then. They are Scarpa boots, which were not quite as comfortable but I've worn them practically every day for 18 months and they´re only starting to crack now.

I live in Portugal, but buy a lot of things from SportsDirect and Field and Trek. Right know, I have a pair of Karrimor KSB Trekking boots on, in leather and they are great and are not so expensive has that. I bought them for my day use.

For the Camiño, I bought a pair of Hi-Tec Tornado Mid WP, but I think that this model has been discontinued. There are other great models though just like the V-Lite Sphike Waterproof or the Sierra Lite Waterproof.

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If he can get to Keswick, George Fisher will fit your friend with exactly what he needs. They really do know their boots, and our feet, and I'm not just saying that out of Cumbrian loyalty. They have a website as well, but the personal advice and fitting you get in Keswick is second to none: www.Georgefisher.co.uk

Another vote for Cotswold, excellent staff who have lots of experience, don't seem to mind how long you take to decide, let you take the boots home to try and then refund until entirely satisfied.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I usually use a full weight hiking boot for my hill walking in Ireland but my most recent purchase, Lowa 'Munros' weighed in at 2.06 kgs for a pair of size 11's so I went with Meindl Meran GTX's for my recent St Jean-Finisterre-Muxia camino, 985 kms with not a foot problem in sight, the Meran's weigh in at 1.6 kgs for size 11's, the weight is saved by using 2.2 mm leather rather than the 2.6 or 2.8 mm leather that my more normal boots use, they also have a slightly softer sole compound which helps a little with the amount of tarmac walking on the camino, I did replace the manufactures insoles with 'Superfeet' insoles as a personal preference.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Has anyone used the phone service "Holafly" during their Camino? Apparently it is a phone plan which eliminates the high cost of roaming charges and international phone plans offered from many...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.