• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparation and nail care on the Camino

T

Tigger

Like anything else on the Camino, It is important to prepare your nails for the exigencies of your Camino walk. Without going overboard, Probably 4-6 months is sufficient, though imagine my horror when I caught my longest nail in the sheets when making my bed and it broke off right down to the quick. (ouch and blood- I had stupidly allowed it to grow too long in my vanity) My first thought was that at least it happened several months out. I was much chastened and learnt my lesson before it mattered, crucially.
It is important to have all nails of the same length, and to achieve this you might have to be extra rigourous in trimming over the coming months. There is the decision of whether to have oval nails or square and many other difficult decisions best made after adequate trial and error and of course reading this post. My recommendation is to ideally trim all nails to an oval shape ( best suited to not getting caught in backpack buckles ) and short to medium length for both attractiveness and practicality.
Strengthening of nails is also an important factor in being active and attractive, as we use our nails for so many purposes, especially when for weight reasons, we are carrying fewer 'tools'. Our nails need to be strong, healthy, well trimmed and filed to assist in any major or minor emergencies. You may have to leave your back scratcher at home and if your nails are too short you may suffer greatly should bed bugs have their wicked way with your tender flesh. Opening zip locks, pulling our USB ports, tugging on shoelaces, buckling, zipping, unzipping, sweat wiping or stray hair wrangeling and so many other regular, everyday occurrences are assisted by having active and attractive nails.
For strengthening I recommend a combination of excellent diet, vitamin something cream and perhaps a few coats of clear nail strengthener.
I have done considerable research on brands taking into account ease of use, weight of bottle, effectiveness, long lasting effects. ( NB It is NOT recommended to decant any form of nail products into light plastic bottle for Camino transportation no matter how tempted you are to dump that heavy glass. There are serious consequences if you do - a toothbrush engulfed in nail lacquer, even clear, which has melted its plastic container, is hardly a toothbrush anymore.)
My overall winner were the ***** ******* products which I believe to be available world wide, though perhaps someone could advise me on availability in Spain? Thanks in advance.
Our next problem on the Camino is that of dirt and germs. It is NEVER a good look to have dirt under your nails, even if you have recently buried your soiled toilet paper wonderfully efficiently off the trail...use a stick! Take EVERY opportunity to wash your hands and nails thoroughly at every opportunity ( remember what the Queen says) and soak them well under the shower ( yes, it can be done in three minutes)
It is regrettable that airline authorities have seen fit not to allow nail files or scissors on international flights, but I think there may be shops in Spain and it would be possible to purchase a small set of nail scissors and a metal nail file, cheaply and donate it to the wife of the xray machine operator on leaving Spain and perhaps even a small vial of acetone as your "dangerous liquid of the day'. We pilgrims are like that! Generous of soul!= and discarded utilities.
It is not long now until I can put all my preparation, product testing and hard yards into practice.

...and remember 'If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.'...

or as Shakespeare said

'Could I come near your beauty with my nails, I 'd set my ten commandments in your face. -King Henry VI. Part II. Act i. Sc. 3.'

Tune in for more 'TiggerTips'!

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
4-6 months to prep nails? I am heading out on my 7th Camino and can garantee that hand nails have never been a concern. I don't require anything of my fingers on the Camino than I do at home. Cut relatively short, carry a glass nail file or small emery board and a 5ml bottle of clear polish and you're done. Toe nails are a lot more important, and they don't require anything but a good cut, straight across. And when they fall off, well, they fall off. The Camino is really not that complicated. Deep breath. It will be ok.

4-6 months to prep nails? I am heading out on my 7th Camino and can garantee that hand nails have never been a concern. I don't require anything of my fingers on the Camino than I do at home. Cut relatively short, carry a glass nail file or small emery board and a 5ml bottle of clear polish and you're done. Toe nails are a lot more important, and they don't require anything but a good cut, straight across. And when they fall off, well, they fall off. The Camino is really not that complicated. Deep breath. It will be ok.
Now you have given everyone spoilers for my 1000 words TiggerTips on toenails! :(

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When members seek advice, I will happily give it, including what works well for me. That is quite different from posting an unsolicited testimonial for a commercial product. The latter is, in my view, spam or a commercial post. It is no different to any other unsolicited advertising we are subjected to in our modern world.
LULZ

You have me in Fitz, Doug! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Like anything else on the Camino, It is important to prepare your nails for the exigencies of your Camino walk. Without going overboard, Probably 4-6 months is sufficient, though imagine my horror when I caught my longest nail in the sheets when making my bed and it broke off right down to the quick. (ouch and blood- I had stupidly allowed it to grow too long in my vanity) My first thought was that at least it happened several months out. I was much chastened and learnt my lesson before it mattered, crucially.
It is important to have all nails of the same length, and to achieve this you might have to be extra rigourous in trimming over the coming months. There is the decision of whether to have oval nails or square and many other difficult decisions best made after adequate trial and error and of course reading this post. My recommendation is to ideally trim all nails to an oval shape ( best suited to not getting caught in backpack buckles ) and short to medium length for both attractiveness and practicality.
Strengthening of nails is also an important factor in being active and attractive, as we use our nails for so many purposes, especially when for weight reasons, we are carrying fewer 'tools'. Our nails need to be strong, healthy, well trimmed and filed to assist in any major or minor emergencies. You may have to leave your back scratcher at home and if your nails are too short you may suffer greatly should bed bugs have their wicked way with your tender flesh. Opening zip locks, pulling our USB ports, tugging on shoelaces, buckling, zipping, unzipping, sweat wiping or stray hair wrangeling and so many other regular, everyday occurrences are assisted by having active and attractive nails.
For strengthening I recommend a combination of excellent diet, vitamin something cream and perhaps a few coats of clear nail strengthener.
I have done considerable research on brands taking into account ease of use, weight of bottle, effectiveness, long lasting effects. ( NB It is NOT recommended to decant any form of nail products into light plastic bottle for Camino transportation no matter how tempted you are to dump that heavy glass. There are serious consequences if you do - a toothbrush engulfed in nail lacquer, even clear, which has melted its plastic container, is hardly a toothbrush anymore.)
My overall winner were the Sally Hanson products which I believe to be available world wide, though perhaps someone could advise me on availability in Spain? Thanks in advance.
Our next problem on the Camino is that of dirt and germs. It is NEVER a good look to have dirt under your nails, even if you have recently buried your soiled toilet paper wonderfully efficiently off the trail...use a stick! Take EVERY opportunity to wash your hands and nails thoroughly at every opportunity ( remember what the Queen says) and soak them well under the shower ( yes, it can be done in three minutes)
It is regrettable that airline authorities have seen fit not to allow nail files or scissors on international flights, but I think there may be shops in Spain and it would be possible to purchase a small set of nail scissors and a metal nail file, cheaply and donate it to the wife of the xray machine operator on leaving Spain and perhaps even a small vial of acetone as your "dangerous liquid of the day'. We pilgrims are like that! Generous of soul!= and discarded utilities.
It is not long now until I can put all my preparation, product testing and hard yards into practice.

...and remember 'If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.'...

or as Shakespeare said

'Could I come near your beauty with my nails, I 'd set my ten commandments in your face. -King Henry VI. Part II. Act i. Sc. 3.'

Wow! I just read that, twice. Now I'm gonna get really drunk.

I have seen quite a few people with nasty injuries that were caused by not cutting their toenails short though.

Davey

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I myself, am more concerned with my eyebrows and eyelashes. Knowing that a wand of mascara is not only an unnecessary extra weight, but also would require make-up remover.
There is also the issue of hairy legs. What dilemmas we fashionistas face.

My overall winner were the Sally Hanson products which I believe to be available world wide, though perhaps someone could advise me on availability in Spain? Thanks in advance.

or as Shakespeare said

:D:D:D Brilliant! Thanks Tigger! One simply cannot overstate the importance of attractively trimmed nails on the Camino. And as @Kanga so rightly mentions, eyelashes and leg hair, another source of angst... What to do...?!

I myself, am more concerned with my eyebrows and eyelashes. Knowing that a wand of mascara is not only an unnecessary extra weight, but also would require make-up remover.
Make up remover not required when you use a "tubing" mascara that rinses away with warm water, but is not affected by sweat or tears. I would name the brand I use, but don't want to get on Dougfitz's bad side. :p

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Panic stations! We leave Australia in just four days for SJPDP and I thought I had everything covered; did not even consider my nails, nor make-up. Looks like I will just have to go unprepared. Really hoping we meet some of you on the way. We plan to walk to Leon at least, where we started last year, but have time to continue to Santiago if our bodies hold up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Finger nails? I was thinking toe nails (typical male?) - which I suggest need to be kept short so as not to break off or dig into your boots especially when going down hill. I will be seeing my podiatrist about a week before I leave home, but will take along a pair of clippers to keep them in check. Still I can understand how important a girls hands and fingers are!!:)

I consider hairy legs as another layer of insulation. If someone gets close enough to contemplate my hairy legs they better have a glass of vino tinto to offer.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

or as Shakespeare said

Are you serious???!!!!

I met a Spanish peregrina in a crowded ladies bathroom on the Camino del Norte. She was straightening her hair with electric straighteners. I asked her how she had room for the hair irons, and she said 'by leaving everything else at home'. All we ladies laughed so much. And then borrowed the straighteners.

More @Tigger tips please...
And yes she is joking people! Lighten up!

Last edited:
Panic stations! We leave Australia in just four days for SJPDP and I thought I had everything covered; did not even consider my nails, nor make-up.
Since you have not been treating your nails for the Camino for the last 4-6 months I would seriously consider postponing your walk. Surely your travel insurance company will understand and compensate you. ;)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Finger nails? I was thinking toe nails (typical male?) - which I suggest need to be kept short so as not to break off or dig into your boots especially when going down hill. I will be seeing my podiatrist about a week before I leave home, but will take along a pair of clippers to keep them in check. Still I can understand how important a girls hands and fingers are!!:)
I take a pair of toenail clippers and also use them carefully for my fingernails and also for trimming my bangs mid trail. A true multipurpose item!

I take a pair of toenail clippers and also use them carefully for my fingernails and also for trimming my bangs mid trail. A true multipurpose item!
They are also good for opening packages, cutting bandages and gauze to fit, and splitting that bocadella to share with a fellow pilgrim...just wash them off a little first....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey all,
In my not so humble opinion...
*Tigger, your post was incredibly long, but I did get a kick out of reading it.
*Dougfitz, you were really hard on Kanga's cousin as she had good intentions. Although I have observed you are a man of intelligence who likes dealing with facts and figures...not female trivia.
*Davey, please refrain from getting drunk over Tigger's post as I doubt she'd want to feel responsible if something bad happened to you as a result.
*To the rest of us (myself included), for taking puns at Tigger's expense...with the exception of Dougfitz, whose factual reply was quite serious. Tigger's post certainly has provided some laughs today, except probably not for him! :)

They are also good for opening packages, cutting bandages and gauze to fit, and splitting that bocadella to share with a fellow pilgrim...just wash them off a little first....
Well, I guess the toenail clippers have multi, multi purpose uses, although I'm trying to envision them cutting a bocadilla in half and it's not working for me! o_O

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Haha, clinique do a small near weightless mascara which washes off with plain warm water. No need for remover and doesn't ryn when you cry.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Camino Chris, are you suggesting that @Tigger is entitled to some lower standard of compliance with the forum rules or that her advice not be subject to the same standard of rigour as any other forum member based on the fact that she is related to a moderator? I certainly don't think so! If doubt she thinks so - I would be very sorry if she does, and I am very concerned that it appears that you think so.
I am rather new to the forum and have not fullly studied the rules like I need to. I was mostly thinking of how we women sometimes (often) put alot of thought into the details of our appearance. I had enjoyed other threads Tigger started, so although this one was long, I found it amusing. As to what her offense was regarding the forum rules, if it was because she promoted a particular brand of products, I'm confused as many of us mention our favorite brand of socks, poncho etc.
And no, I did not think she should have any preferential treatment, It just didn't seem to me that she had done anything wrong. Apparently, my mistake. Sorry.

To appease @dougfitz I have removed the product name from @Tigger 's post. Although if Tigger cares to inform us that she personally uses said product, and her satisfaction with it forms the basis of her recommendation that it be taken on Camino, then the name will be restored.

@Camino Chris your confusion is understandable. The forum rules forbid "commercial posts" but there is nothing wrong with personal recommendations from members who have no commercial interest in the product. And I can assure you that Tigger has no commercial interest - in any product.

This was obviously a lighthearted thread written for fun.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Camino Chris, are you suggesting that @Tigger is entitled to some lower standard of compliance with the forum rules or that her advice not be subject to the same standard of rigour as any other forum member, based on the fact that she is related to a moderator? I certainly don't think so! If doubt she thinks so - I would be very sorry if she does, and I am very concerned that it appears that you think so.
Sir,

Since you have cast nasturtians on my good character, my ethics and my sense of humour and more importantly raised claims of corruption and nepotism on this august board, you leave me no other choice then to leave and quit this board henceforth.

I shall not participate here again.

Buen Camino ALL!

Adios.

Tigger/Jane

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sir,

Since you have cast nasturtians on my good character, my ethics and my sense of humour and more importantly raised claims of corruption and nepotism on this august board, you leave me no other choice then to leave and quit this board henceforth.

Buen Camino ALL!

Adios.

Tigger/Jane
@Tigger I don't know anything about nasturtians, but I thought that I would cast some nasturtiums your way, because they are so pretty! :)
nasturtiums.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sir,

Buen Camino ALL!

Adios.

Tigger/Jane
Well tigger
I didn't know whether I should reply or not.....
But here goes..
Why should you leave because of some untoward comments
I wouldn't!
Your advice is as valid as anyone else's whether it's regarding feet or fingers!
Two days ago....someone recommended a foot cream called Gehwol..
Many people on the forum were interested and my tube is already on the way from amazon
I can't believe that this post has become so nasty
There's no need for it
So my tuppenceworth of advice is ...cancel that resignation letter
Best wishes Annette

Sir,

Buen Camino ALL!

Adios.

Tigger/Jane
Come back please, you're great craic ;-)

Well that escalated quickly...

And is exactly why I rarely if ever post anything. I'll leave that to the place I do feel safe and welcome enough to do so in - a women's only group on FB. Love the info I find here btw. Wish there were more Tiggers...
Hi Elizabeth, ..women only!!
There's a lively Irish song that begins with the words......
"They say that the women are worse than the men"!!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The wonderful thing about tiggers
Is tiggers are wonderful things!
Their tops are made out of rubber
Their bottoms are made out of springs!
They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is
I'm the only one
Tiggers are cuddly fellas
Tiggers are awfully sweet
Ev'ryone el-us is jealous
That's why I repeat... and repeat

The wonderful thing about tiggers
Is tiggers are marvelous claps!
They're loaded with vim and vigor
They love to leap in your laps!
They're jumpy, bumpy, clumpy, thumpy
Fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!
But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is
I'm the only one
I-I-I'm , the only... oof!

Where I come from you are not considered a "real woman" unless you shave your legs with an axe. (double headed optional)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
LOL, I took some chapstick that had some red coloring in it and my fellow caminantes teased me mercilessly about it! If I had been fussing over my nails, they would have laughed me off the Camino:)). I clip mine down before I go, take an emery board, and don't think another thing of it.

I wanted to bring my nail technician on pilgrimage with me, but she wanted to cycle and I like to walk, so it didn't happen. Dang. Now my cuticles are all over the place.

Oh, the humanity.......

A selection of Camino Jewellery
It is interesting when an old post gets resurrected like this. As far as I can tell, the current member using the forum name @Tigger is not the same member who started this thread back in 2017.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back