• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing mentally for a solitary Camino

AZgirl

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012 , via de la Plata 2014
Madrid/frances Sept/Oct 2017
Next : mozarabe 2021
Hello all,

I will be going on Camino this sept. I have wanted to walk the Levante for a while now. Like most here, I love being on pilgrimage. While I started my previous caminos solo it wasn't long until I was getting to know the other pilgrims. I think I will be able to adjust to walking alone, but would love advice or any tips on what could be a very different experience than my previous two.

Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Seems like the mental preparation is a theme these days! I never put effort into preparing myself mentally - I don't really know what that would mean. :confused:

Depending on many circumstances - some predictable and some not - you will be one of: (a) content :), (b) thrilled :D, (c) lonely but content:cool:, (d) lonely and discontented :(, (e) not lonely but discontented:oops:, (f) annoyed :mad:, (g) etc.!

Most likely you will experience all of these at different times. Just accept that, and don't have the expectation that you will always be :)

Last edited:
Hello all,

I will be going on Camino this sept. I have wanted to walk the Levante for a while now. Like most here, I love being on pilgrimage. While I started my previous caminos solo it wasn't long until I was getting to know the other pilgrims. I think I will be able to adjust to walking alone, but would love advice or any tips on what could be a very different experience than my previous two.

Thanks!
Hi, AZ,

I walked Levante alone in 2015. It is solitary, yes. I've met exactly 3 pilgrims all the way to Zamora. But you do not need "preparations". Either you want/need that solitary Camino or not. That's all there is... Quite simple actually ;)
People are really friendly although most of them don't know much of the Camino that runs through their village. Or better - they know nothing, haha. One more reason to talk with them. But they will let you alone if you wish so. Just be prepared for some "looks", especially if woman. Around Las Pedroneras be a bit more alert. A lot of foreign seasonal workers (won't go into details nationality wise) with somewhat different attitudes toward women than you've might been accustomed.
Otherwise nice and safe!!!

Ultreia!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@AZgirl, some of us tend to introspection more than others--and I land on the contemplative end of that continuum.
So here's a voice from that end of the spectrum (your experience may differ, as does @C clearly 's...both are valid).

There's a lot of inner preparation that can support a solo camino.
  • First, being able to be with yourself--alone without the need for distraction--is a skill that can be developed and polished in daily life. Developing both tenderness and a interest towards one's inner landscape is essential. You don't have to 'love' yourself--or even like yourself at a personality level--but an attitude of openhearted friendliness is essential. Rumi's poem The Guesthouse captures this attitude perfectly.
  • Directly knowing the flow of day to day experiences with a quiet awareness (whatever they are, pleasant or unpleasant) is incredibly useful. So it can look like formal meditation (sitting or walking). Or it can just mean noticing day to day activities and experiences. Every day there are thousands of things to notice--walking, breathing, standing, sitting, restlessness and calm, interest and boredom (and everything else). A lot comes up while walking alone--and we have to meet it. So practicing this before you go gives you the means to do that.
  • Being able to rest quietly with unpleasant experiences is essential when you walk by yourself--there is no way to vent or rely on others for support when the going gets tough.
It depends so much on your intention for the walk, but if you are wanting walk as a way of 'diving in,' these are essential. And even if you simply intend to walk--these give the tools to face the inevitable challenges of boredom, loneliness, and self-doubt that can face everyone out there from time to time.
Either way they're things you can do now.

I never put effort into preparing myself mentally - I don't really know what that would mean. :confused:
I apologize, @AZgirl , for being flippant. However, my point was somewhat serious. For me, the camino is not something that requires or deserves particular mental preparation that is different from how I approach other challenges in life. As @Viranani says, everyone has a different but valid view.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you can prepare mentally. Having already done long distant journeys should give you an insight to what lays ahead for you.
I think you have to want to do it and to embrace every day as living the lifestyle you want and not just to tick another camino off your list.
Good Luck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm not sure if you can prepare mentally.
What C was saying. If preparation means having a sense of what lies ahead and being ready for that...yes, agreed. Until you walk no amount of preparation can prepare you for reality of the Camino. It (like everything) is unimaginable. We think we know what it'll be like but that's totally impossible. Like childbirth, parenthood, you name it.

And then there is the preparation that offers the inner skills and resiliency that are necessary to go the distance and face whatever comes--good, bad, or indifferent.
Everyone thinks to walk the body, but what about the mind/heart? Not everyone thinks to train them.

What C says here:
Most likely you will experience all of these at different times. Just accept that, and don't have the expectation that you will always be :)
Is a part of that, and a vital part. Especially the part I underlined.
Some people have innate skills, some people need training.;)

Last edited:
Hi, AZgirl,

I am not able to comment on the inner preparation part, being more like CClearly in my approach to this. But a much more pragmatic suggestion is that if you don't speak Spanish, you should try to beef it up a bit. The Levante will bring you through many towns where the tourist trade is not booming, and being able to speak with people in a bar or cafe at night might add companionship to what is likely to be a very solitary camino.

When I first started walking alone, though I speak Spanish, I was always reluctant to go in a place and sit by myself. I got over that, and it opened up a world of company at night after walking. Even if you don't speak Spanish, and even if it doesn't come easy to you, you should, IMO, force yourself to go into the local bar. You are likely to be pleasantly surprised. I have been invited to partake of meals, invited to play Parcheesi, bombarded with questions, given opinions on topics far and wide, etc etc.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. So glad you are getting to the Levante soon, I will look forward to hearing all about it!

And then there is the preparation that offers the inner skills and resiliency that are necessary to go the distance and face whatever comes--good, bad, or indifferent.
Everyone thinks to walk the body, but what about the mind/heart? Not everyone thinks to train them.
Akin to stretching and training your spiritual muscles in preparation for the journey.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, AZgirl,

I am not able to comment on the inner preparation part, being more like CClearly in my approach to this. But a much more pragmatic suggestion is that if you don't speak Spanish, you should try to beef it up a bit. The Levante will bring you through many towns where the tourist trade is not booming, and being able to speak with people in a bar or cafe at night might add companionship to what is likely to be a very solitary camino.

When I first started walking alone, though I speak Spanish, I was always reluctant to go in a place and sit by myself. I got over that, and it opened up a world of company at night after walking. Even if you don't speak Spanish, and if it doesn't come easy to you, you should, IMO, force yourself to go into the local bar. You are likely to be pleasantly surprised. I have been invited to partake of meals, invited to play Parcheesi, bombarded with questions, given opinions on topics far and wide, etc etc.

Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. So glad you are getting to the Levante soon, I will look forward to hearing all about it!

What brilliant advice, spot on, so wonderful to share such gems. I used to find myself in similar positions, ok touring on a motor bike and most of my mates struggled with English after a few beers and always left the speaking to me.

I used to shy away from situations but one day decided to try and learn Spanish. Been at it ever since sometimes good sometimes not so good. Trouble in U.K. Not many if any opportunities to practice.

Nonetheless I stick at it and every time I go to Spain I just jump right in. Sometimes I get it right, sometimes it goes all to poo, but it is such fun.

So just do it dive in and get them lessons started, people are lovely if you give em a chance

Ian

Hi @AZgirl thanks for starting another great thread, which brings forth great and simple wisdom from people. I appreciate every post above. Thanks especially @Viranani for the Rumi poem.
Once again on the forum, how pleasing it is to see "unity in diversity". @Ian T having read your post I've just sent an email to a language school! It's not terribly convenient for me from where I live, but you made me realise I've been using that as an excuse for too long!

Once again on the forum, how pleasing it is to see "unity in diversity"
I appreciate every post above.
I am noticing the same thing, Tim--how lovely it is to like like like like, even when I may not be the 'same as'...

You are likely to be pleasantly surprised.
Laurie's very pragmatic advice is spot on--as is her reassurance to dive in. With very limited experience off the Frances, I found these little surprises every day. I have to post this pic--the Mayor of a small town on the San Olav, who had just given me a personal tour of the town--after I did exactly what Laurie suggested: took a breath, and went into the local bar. With only a little language, what can be helpful is a translation app on the phone. I just use Google Translate because it's there and works well enough. Even when it doesn't work, there can be great hilarity, which feels very connecting when you're walking alone. Laughter needs no language.

Attachments

• IMG_1360.JPG
    IMG_1360.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 23
Hello all,

Thanks!
Just do it....

Hello all,

Thanks!

AZgirl:

I have not walked the Levante but have walked other remote Camino's. The best advice I can offer is to learn Spanish. After a while you, at least I, longed to have a conversation. That said, I do enjoy the solitude most of the time.

Ultreya,
Joe

I have never really thought too much about mental preparation. When walking solo I find the days are very easy. I am left alone with my thoughts and I can focus more clearly on what is around me or simply let my mind drift off in any direction it chooses. I enjoy that. However, I find the dinners and evenings alone more difficult to handle. You don't want to block people out or prevent potential contact with anyone nearby, but I find a good book or some other distraction like that makes the dinner hour pass by more enjoyably than simply staring at the walls. Of course learning some conversational Spanish would open up many more opportunities to connect.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Having walked solo for four of the five years so far, here are some suggestions:
- Practice going out to restaurants and eating alone. What does it take for you to be comfortable doing this? Notice how much more interaction you have with the waitstaff.
- If you haven't started a journaling practice yet, get a good journal (Moleskine! for example) and start now. What are the deep questions in your life you want to chew on? What are the thoughts and reflections you want to record? Likely, you'll find that once this process starts, it continues with its own momentum. For me, I find that Thought B doesn't come along until I've got Thought A safely jotted down in the journal. So I find this process very useful. And this time alone is the perfect time to start those interior conversations with yourself.
- Without a companion to assist in a time of difficulty, you'll need to be a bit more self-sufficient. A better kit of first aid supplies; a better check on weather and the right clothing for it; an appropriate array of smartphone apps oriented to the region you'll be traversing, including emergency info.
- I emphasize the previous suggestion on buffing up your local language skills. For me, the Michel Thomas iphone app was the key to learning to think through, and actually be able to operate in, the local language. I've used his German and French to great success, and I know Spanish is also available.
- And last but not least, prepare to be humbled, vulnerable, and dependent on the kindness of strangers. This is perhaps the greatest gift for the solo pilgrim.

Bon Chemin!

And last but not least, prepare to be humbled, vulnerable, and dependent on the kindness of strangers. This is perhaps the greatest gift for the solo pilgrim.
Oh, my, yes. Perfectly said.
(We're having an embarrassment of riches right now, with several meaty threads abut heart matters. Thank you everyone, for your wisdom and inspiring words!)

Having walked solo for four of the five years so far, here are some suggestions:
Many, many likes for this.

During my preparation for walking St Olav's Way, I added a high proportion of long solo walks. Not only will it help your physical preparation, it assists develop your mental resilience to the fact that you might be alone for much of the day.

@AZgirl, not only did I put myself in more mentally demanding situations when I was preparing for St Olav's Way, I did a lot of thinking about what circumstances I might face, and how they might be handled. Of course, many of these things didn't happen, and many things happened that I hadn't thought about. But what I wanted to do, and had done, was to make sure that some unexpected and difficult situation didn't become a walk stopper just because I was facing it alone.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, AZgirl,

When I first started walking alone, though I speak Spanish, I was always reluctant to go in a place and sit by myself. I got over that, and it opened up a world of company at night after walking. Even if you don't speak Spanish, and if it doesn't come easy to you, you should, IMO, force yourself to go into the local bar. You are likely to be pleasantly surprised. I have been invited to partake of meals, invited to play Parcheesi, bombarded with questions, given opinions on topics far and wide, etc etc.

Buen camino, Laurie

Year ago in Mexico City I was invited to a Pasada (Christmas party) I used broken Spanish and the gentleman I was conversing with used his best English. We helped each other and had a wonderful time talking about two worlds. He introduced himself saying "I speak English like Tarzan". I use that phrase "Hablo Espanol como Tarzan" often. It opens doors and lets people know you aren't afraid to try..... ultreya..... Willy/Utah/USA

Reading last posts from @Doogman & @Kitsambler I thought I'm kind of lucky because I really don't need any preparations (not that I say they do!). Actually I crave for that sort of solitude. Even preparing and eating all by myself. I mean I can seat all day long in a bar just watching the life goes by in front of me. It's like a neverending movie for me. Same with sitting under the tree in the middle of nowhere. In these moments I really feel connected to myself. Not being afraid of your thoughts helps a lot. It's just me, with all bad, weird, good, funny, strange thoughts. And I embrace them. There isn't much to do about that. Observe and embrace I'd say.

Oh how I long for Camino right now....................

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@AZgirl, hi. Like some others above I am comfortable with my own company. But relish the opportunities, when they come along, to chat with others.

Possibly my level of introspection led to me do long training walks (of 20 to 40 km) by myself. I found these helped me prepare my mind and my body for doing those distances. And as there are only three principal routes I can take I was soon free to think over many hours of why I was preparing to do 1600 or so kilometres.

The outcome, for me, was this: when I got going the stamina and mental approach to walking I had developed in the previous four years took over the mechanics of putting one foot in front of the other. This left me ready to appreciate and enjoy the people and places I encountered.

That is what worked for me. Maybe some other approach is what will work for you.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Solo walking on less traveled paths is a challenge but it's also great fun one finds oneself thrust into situations and engaging with people that one might not come across otherwise.
OK sometimes after a couple of weeks of meeting no-0ne I can feel myself going a little bats%*t crazy but that's always an impetus for me to drag out my rusty linguistic-well I was going to say skills but that would be an offence against the trade descriptions act-attempts and connect with locals.
I love walking with others to but I must say the solo path is the one that speaks to my heart.

Last edited:
Hi @AZgirl thanks for starting another great thread, which brings forth great and simple wisdom from people. I appreciate every post above. Thanks especially @Viranani for the Rumi poem.
Once again on the forum, how pleasing it is to see "unity in diversity". @Ian T having read your post I've just sent an email to a language school! It's not terribly convenient for me from where I live, but you made me realise I've been using that as an excuse for too long!

Hey that is brilliant, I have tried everything, adult ed evening classes not too good for me, private lessons in a small group not too bad, once employed a lady who also taught Spanish Ab Fab as we chatted and she structured me every lunchtime with homework for gods sake.

Best thing is to just immerse yourself as best you can, I once got stopped by the police for riding a motor bike, they say erratically, well I had the verbs Ser and Estar taped to my petrol tank, best way to learn em. He did not see the educational benefits of this approach.

Just go with whatever gets you started then dive right in. I'm not the most gifted of the bunch and I get along.

Have fun it's great

Ian

Oh how I long for Camino right now....................
What I have enjoyed on this forum so far is that after 17 years of walking the frances and reading other peoples perspectives on lots of different aspects that I will say to myself." I did't really look at it that way or that's how I felt" I find I'm learning more about my pilgimage the more I read and being nicely forced to think deeper.

Not being afraid of your thoughts helps a lot. It's just me, with all bad, weird, good, funny, strange thoughts. And I embrace them. There isn't much to do about that. Observe and embrace I'd say.
K1 that's a lot, said succinctly and to the point--condensed wisdom. ;)Perfect.

I skimmed through this rather quickly, and would have loved to linger over many of the ideas, as this is a thoughtful, heartfelt collection of various points of view--the inner minds and hearts of many whom I admire.

A few things really sprang out, to be honest.

--the need to be comfortable with being alone. You may want to do some solo time now, and observe how your mind does with alone-ness. To be alone is not to be lonely; there is such a difference.

--I have found that at times, my mind can be a little jumpy when I walk alone (I prefer walking alone, I love it, I relish it). For those times, I have several mantras that work well for me. Often, I have made them up on the spot, after seeing a "sign" from the universe: Is your heart open? open it wider. Is your heart open? open it wider.

I also have some poetry memorized that I recite slowly, giving extra thought to each mind. My most recent was sonnet 118--

Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments...Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds...(et cetera)

The Lord's Prayer and the 23rd Psalm are good for those who are Christian.

It is also helpful, when alone with one's mind, to try a practice of love and forgiveness. Try perhaps taking a shortlist of mental cues? Who do I wish to forgive? For what am I grateful?

Often, thoughts that are unsettling or disturbing are like clouds. They will come, and then they will pass. Don't fear being in their shade for a short time.

Buen Camino--

Deb

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just do it....
AZ girl, I should have added what was in my mind at the time......"then lean into whatever unfolds". I am not one who can necessarily plan on what I will be thinking, but many here have shared their wise words with care and concern. And you will meet more of this along the way, which I'm sure you have already discovered. I treasured my time alone, as I treasured the beautiful souls I met along the way. Go well, and go safe. Buen Camino

I treasured my time alone, as I treasured the beautiful souls I met along the way. Go well, and go safe. Buen Camino
My only addition to all the wonderful comments and suggestions in this thread is "Be prepared to ask for help"...don't wait, or worry, just reach out and the camino will provide. I find the kindness of strangers to be most remarkable and truly heart warming.

--the need to be comfortable with being alone. You may want to do some solo time now, and observe how your mind does with alone-ness. To be alone is not to be lonely; there is such a difference.

--I have found that at times, my mind can be a little jumpy when I walk alone (I prefer walking alone, I love it, I relish it). For those times, I have several mantras that work well for me. Often, I have made them up on the spot, after seeing a "sign" from the universe: Is your heart open? open it wider. Is your heart open? open it wider.

YES - being comfortable with yourself, that's the word that describes my feelings 100%. Thanks, Deb!!!

And althought I'm not a practising Christian, more like pagan or maybe even agnostic, my mantra especially when going uphill is "Be good, be good, be good,..." meaning act nice to others, don't let your bad thoughts and feeling prevail over being nice to others.

I remember our family gathering (15+ people) after my 2011 CF. I was silent most of the time in the crowd and in the end almost everyone thanked me for the lovely afternoon. They thanked me! Only the next day I realized that all the laugh and good mood was somehow result of my energy. And I did nothing. Nothing at all, just sitting there, smiling, being soft (which I'm not otherwise...) and polite and nice... Such an after Camino gift.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Knowing some basic Spanish will help you a lot. Even if it is not enough for conversation, it is useful for a friendly chat.
It is also nice if you like football to get through the long evenings.
Almost every day there is is a soccer match to see in the local bar.
Above all regular contact with the dear ones at home is the best way to cope with a lonely Camino.

I begin each day with a short thought that I developed when working in Indigenous communities here in
Canada. I say it not as a seeking but more as a centering of self. When on the Camino, I pulled on my pack, stuck my nose into the wind and said, out loud or in my thoughts:

I thank the Creator for this fine day
and my place in it.
I ask the help of the Creator in being
the best person I can be today and in recognizing
the good and the worth of all people and
things that I encounter.

Meegwetch (thank you)

I begin each day with a short thought that I developed when working in Indigenous communities here in
Canada. I say it not as a seeking but more as a centering of self. When on the Camino, I pulled on my pack, stuck my nose into the wind and said, out loud or in my thoughts:

I thank the Creator for this fine day
and my place in it.
I ask the help of the Creator in being
the best person I can be today and in recognizing
the good and the worth of all people and
things that I encounter.

Meegwetch (thank you)

I meant to indicate that the foregoing thought was my preparation :)

Hello all,

Thanks!
Be prepared to meet yourself throughout your life. Be generous to yourself and others who come to you through memory. Learn to stop and listen to your heart. Find gratitude in it all.

Many, many likes for this.

During my preparation for walking St Olav's Way, I added a high proportion of long solo walks. Not only will it help your physical preparation, it assists develop your mental resilience to the fact that you might be alone for much of the day.

-I like this advice from Dougfitz very much. As I contemplate doing a lot of walks in preparation for my first Camino, it occurs to me this will be a good way for me to become more accustomed to being by myself. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back