• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Protecting backpack during flight and from rain

grandmawendy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept23-Oct6
I will be doing my first (and probably last) Camino in Sept. and am flying from the States. Looking for a way to protect the backpack I have borrowed on the flight. (It will have to be checked due to size and poles). Hoping to find something that will also work as protection from rain since we will undoubtedly run into that on the pilgrimage. I already have a rain jacket and am bringing a light poncho as well, but it isn't heavy enough to double as protection for baggage on an international flight.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have taken to packing my pack in an Osprey Airporter Pack Travel cover, and posting it to Ivar with other things that I want at the end of my camino to Ivar's storage service. In the past, I have used a light rain cover, most recently another Osprey product, their Ultralight Raincover, for rain protection. There are other options for both checking a backpack and rain protection. Most solutions that I have seen that try and combine these two functions seem a bit heavy to contemplate carrying them on the camino.

The last two times I’ve flown from US to Europe with my pack, I’ve used the bag wrapping service at the airport. They wrap the pack in something kind Saran Wrap so that there are no loops or straps hanging out that might get caught on something and tear my pack.

Check your poles, carry on your pack. If your pack gets delayed or lost, what is your plan B? It happens more often than you think.
A good poncho with an extra pocket on the back for your pack will keep you and your pack drier than a rain coat and a cover. Look at an ALTUS.
I cringe every time I see the enormous amount of plastic wasted to wrap a suitcase or pack. I realize sometimes it is really needed, but for something as easy as a checked bag, just use an extra bag that can be reused, like an IKEA bag.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be doing my first (and probably last) Camino in Sept. and am flying from the States. Looking for a way to protect the backpack I have borrowed on the flight. (It will have to be checked due to size and poles). Hoping to find something that will also work as protection from rain since we will undoubtedly run into that on the pilgrimage. I already have a rain jacket and am bringing a light poncho as well, but it isn't heavy enough to double as protection for baggage on an international flight.
Rei has a great one that folds into itself so u can store it in the backpack

Be sure to try all rain gear at home and make adjustments where needed.

-Paul

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A lightweight nylon laundry bag will protect the pack during shipping (think bright color). I pack everything inside my pack in light waterproof bags of different colors(categories). I don't use a pack cover, if I did, consider a bright color (safety yellow-green) for visibility.
I agree with this. I got ours from a dollar store. We left them at our hotel with a couple of other things for pickup on our return. Nothing would be a great loss. Tuck the cord inside. I did see bag wrapping stations at Spanish airports but never at American ones, thus the bags.

Two different requirements.
Protect backpack during luggage handling when flying - needs to be sturdy and with handles.
Protect backpack from rain - needs to be light and waterproof.
I agree but it depends on the amount of protection you deem acceptable. Your camino backpack as checked into a flight's luggage compartment is not likely to have any expensive items that would be damaged by crushing so I don't think sturdiness is the biggest requirement. Your two biggest problems would be damage by loose straps getting caught in conveyor belts and loss of the pack's contents due to the above or theft by baggage handlers. Wrapping in plastic or using cheap fabric bags goes a long way to solving those issues. Theft isn't completely solved but it is less likely.

You could still use a sturdy and lockable suitcase with your pack, poles and knife inside and then ship the empty suitcase to Santiago for use on your return flight.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use my cheap decathlon backpack rain cover over the back of my backpack. Then a sturdy bin liner wrapped around the whole pack with tape. My theory it's just necessary to protect/ contain all of the straps etc from snagging. I don't want any extra weight so I chuck away the bin liner when I get to Biarritz and buy similar when I fly back. Little bit of work for each flight but my osprey bag is a little bit too big for Ryanair cabin baggage and I need my poles. If we could hire poles for a reasonable cost for the Camino I'd get a smaller pack and carry on avoiding the problem

I use my cheap decathlon backpack rain cover over the back of my backpack. Then a sturdy bin liner wrapped around the whole pack with tape. My theory it's just necessary to protect/ contain all of the straps etc from snagging. I don't want any extra weight so I chuck away the bin liner when I get to Biarritz and buy similar when I fly back. Little bit of work for each flight but my osprey bag is a little bit too big for Ryanair cabin baggage and I need my poles. If we could hire poles for a reasonable cost for the Camino I'd get a smaller pack and carry on avoiding the problem
You can buy a pair of poles for €30; there is simply no way a hire business could work.

I checked my bag on the first two Camino ventures. Used a IKEA blue bag, same bag for both trips. Bag is cheap and light in weight. Checked because of poles and a knife I liked. Next go around in March 24 will carry onboard. Had a bad experience with Swiss Air losing my bag for 5 days on a non-Camino trip. Buying a pole, (I only use one),and an Opinal knife will be easier on my mind.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would say if you backpack is too larger for carryon you are likely taking too much. Our packs were carry on. Didn't bring poles on the camino, when when I flew with poles I used a cardboard poster tube to protect poles for check through.

As to protecting pack check through. Ikea sells a $5 75l duffel which weights something like 6oz and is really durable.

For rain protection... either a poncho which does double duty or think about a pack liner. Trash compacter trash bag is the low cost / easy to find option. A variety of stores that cater to ultralight backpackers sell liners which are even lighter and still highly effective.

Our notes about packing for camino https://verber.com/camino-packing/

I got something similar to this at REI for transport. Unfortunately, I don't know if they have anything like this anymore; theirs were rip-stop nylon.

For protection, you can always buy a rain fly, which packs down tight, too.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.