• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Public transit along Camino Portugués

Tom Gross

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
We are a group of 7 (70+) planning to do a combination coastal and central camino starting in Porto next fall. 3 of us will need public transport for part or all of every stage. Can this be easily managed? 3 of us have had experience on the Camino Francés and are looking forward to introducing the others in a way that’s not too intimidating. Thanks

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This isn’t the answer you asked for as I can’t give precise details on public transport in those areas, but if there are several people sharing, it would be more convenient and not very expensive to take Uber to cover these short distances. In Portugal especially, Uber is very good value (e.g. from my home in Lisbon to the airport takes about 30-35 minutes and usually costs €10-12).

Another option, if you have time, is to walk shorter stages to eliminate/reduce the need for transport.

Bom caminho!

We used local taxi services on various stages of the Portugues if one or two of us needed a ride. I'd ask someone working at a bar or cafe to call for us (and I'd leave a tip, if we weren't ordering anything). Or we would do an internet search for the nearest town taxi service and use WhatsApp to communicate. For a few longer distances with our group of 5 (and our bags) we pre-arranged rides with Camino Facil.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There is also public bus service up and down the coastal highway on the Portuguese side. That's a little tricky because there are several different companies plying parts of the route from Porto to Caminha, but you can go into any tourist office and get the schedules. Also, note that the metro from Porto goes all the way to Póvoa de Varzim and you can take the CP train from Viana do Costello to Caminha. Other than that, Uber and taxi. So, on the Coastal Portuguese, at least, it's possible to use some combination of the above.

This isn’t the answer you asked for as I can’t give precise details on public transport in those areas, but if there are several people sharing, it would be more convenient and not very expensive to take Uber to cover these short distances. In Portugal especially, Uber is very good value (e.g. from my home in Lisbon to the airport takes about 30-35 minutes and usually costs €10-12).

Another option, if you have time, is to walk shorter stages to eliminate/reduce the need for transport.

Bom caminho!
Thanks for your response. Uber would be a good optio where available. Tom

We used local taxi services on various stages of the Portugues if one or two of us needed a ride. I'd ask someone working at a bar or cafe to call for us (and I'd leave a tip, if we weren't ordering anything). Or we would do an internet search for the nearest town taxi service and use WhatsApp to communicate. For a few longer distances with our group of 5 (and our bags) we pre-arranged rides with Camino Facil.
Thank you. Camino Facil pre-arrangement would probably be the least stressful option. Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are a group of 7 (70+) planning to do a combination coastal and central camino starting in Porto next fall. 3 of us will need public transport for part or all of every stage. Can this be easily managed? 3 of us have had experience on the Camino Francés and are looking forward to introducing the others in a way that’s not too intimidating. Thanks
Short answer is no. Where there is public transport it is infrequent and timed to meet the needs of the local population - either schoolchildren or those attending markets.

A taxi service will usually be available; your hosts will help you.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back