• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transport along the Camino St James Route

James Storrie

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking in July 2016
Hi, I have completed afew of the Caminos now and I am planning to return in May to the St James/French way and walk only the optional or could be referred as the other ways as indicated in the briely book in green. To do this I will need to bus, train or Uber between towns, cities etc to join these trails. Does anyone know if buses etc run the complete lenght of the trail and stop at every destination?Screenshot_20240401-080955_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That sounds like a complicated and discontinuous way to walk bits and pieces of the Camino!

There is not a bus system that runs the complete length of the trail and stops at every destination, let alone a hop-on hop-off service! "Every destination" would include hundreds of towns, villages, hamlets. You would need to research every section to identify which bus company might serve it, and how often the service runs. When you are there on the trail, you can ask the locals when the next bus passes through, but it might not be until the day after tomorrow!

Isn't there some other way to decide which parts of the Camino Frances you want to walk? However, I suppose this could be considered a challenge to be overcome, a puzzle to be figured out, even if the purpose is not clear.

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
That sounds like a complicated and discontinuous way to walk bits and pieces of the Camino!

There is not a bus system that runs the complete length of the trail and stops at every destination, let alone a hop-on hop-off service! "Every destination" would include hundreds of towns, villages, hamlets. You would need to research every section to identify which bus company might serve it, and how often the service runs. When you are there on the trail, you can ask the locals when the next bus passes through, but it might not be until the day after tomorrow!

Isn't there some other way to decide which parts of the Camino Frances you want to walk? However, I suppose this could be considered a challenge to be overcome, a puzzle to be figured out, even if the purpose is not clear.
Thx for your info, I'm returning from NZ. I agree it could be difficult but a good challenge. I want to fill the gaps and walk only the optional routes available start to finish, without walking the complete route again, I have other things to do on this visit north and only limited time. But you've turned a light bulb on, I wonder if I could travel like a backpack via jacobtrans (unlikely but worth reaching out that way)

Some parts of the Camino have pretty good bus service and others not so much. You could take a taxi where there is no bus. Check Rome to Rio to get the names of bus lines between towns and then check the bus site for connections. Times are not always pilgrim friendly, but correspond to the villagers need for shopping, work transportation, medical apps, etc. It might take longer to do only alternate routes if you are waiting on transportation very long.

Thx for your info, I'm returning from NZ. I agree it could be difficult but a good challenge. I want to fill the gaps and walk only the optional routes available start to finish, without walking the complete route again, I have other things to do on this visit north and only limited time. But you've turned a light bulb on, I wonder if I could travel like a backpack via jacobtrans (unlikely but worth reaching out that way)
For that particular application, make a list of the "non-optional" sections you want buses for. Then ask Apple Maps or Google Maps for the transit directions for each of those sections.Alternatively, you could go to the website of each bus company and get the itineraries showing the times and locations of each stop. If you have a friend in Spain, you could ask them to go to the bus station and photograph the schedules.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Had you thought of cycling these legs. No need to worry about transport then.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back