A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Purchase hiking poles?

Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP to Pamplona 2011
Pamplona to Longrono 2012
Sarria to Santiago 2018
I want to make the purchase in Santiago. Any suggestions as to where? Is there a second hand store where such items are sold or is new the only option? Thanks in advance.
Tio

Advertisment

Roahne

Camino(s) past & future
Ingles (2017)
Finisterre/Muxia (2018)
Portuguese (2019)
There is a Decathlon City not too far from the historical center. Good place to pick up some inexpensive poles

Camino(s) past & future
CF11, CF12, CP13, CF14, CA15, S.Anton15, CF15, CI15
Ditch Pig16, CF17, CP17, CdN, CM, CF18, LePuy19
Purchase in SdC, pour quoi? If that is where you are starting from here would be my suggestion to check out the larger albergues where people have left poles behind as they departed Spain.

RJM

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
A few times, but soon again I hope....
I don't know if they are still there, but if you go to the plaza in front of the cathedral, and go to the building in the plaza directly opposite the cathedral, you might find the set I left there after my last Camino. They are green aluminum, and leaning against a column. ;)

Telelama

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (Sep - Oct'14)
Frances (May - Jun'15)
Portugues (May - Jun'16)
Primitivo (2018?)
Or go the airport! That's where we had to bin ours. The baggage workers in Madrid Barajas aiport were on strike, so no checked luggage. If you're arriving by air, keep your eyes open. Kind of miss those poles...

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
I want to make the purchase in Santiago. Any suggestions as to where? Is there a second hand store where such items are sold or is new the only option? Thanks in advance.
Tio
Hi, the Pilgrim House at Rua Nova 19 has a bin at the front door where arriving pilgrims can abandon their poles and sticks. I left mine there, and there were a few others in the bin. I am sure you can pick one up there for free. Perhaps Nate and Faith of the Pilgrim House could confirm that.
Jill

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
yes
Tio
Go to the Albergue Blanco. They have a full bin of discards, free for the taking.

Bobolink

Time well spent pays dividends.
Camino(s) past & future
Walking the French Way Sept.-Oct. (2017)
I never used hiking poles before my trek on the Camino de Santiago. In preparation, I spent much time on the internet gleaning information and I saw many pictures and videos of pilgrims, both young and old, walking with poles. I decided to use them. If I didn't like them, I could just leave them at an Albergue. I am glad I did! I brought my collapsible, adjustable poles from home. Carbon fiber and easy to pack. Can't imagine trekking the Way from SJPP to SdC without them. Very helpful for balance and takes pleasure off the knees. They are needed for both up mountain and down wet slippery slopes and I really enjoyed my sticks on the flats too. They helped with my rhythm and stamina. I saw plenty of trekking poles left behind at the Pilgrim's office in Santiago, but I could not part with my old friends. We have many more adventures ahead.Buen Camino

natefaith

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Sarria-Santiago (2009)
León-Ponferrada (2014)
Camino Inglés (2017)
Hi, the Pilgrim House at Rua Nova 19 has a bin at the front door where arriving pilgrims can abandon their poles and sticks. I left mine there, and there were a few others in the bin. I am sure you can pick one up there for free. Perhaps Nate and Faith of the Pilgrim House could confirm that.
Jill
Yes! We have quite a few trekking poles, in good condition, that pilgrims have left behind before heading home. Just ask any of us once you come into Pilgrim House. Our hours all this year are 11am - 6pm, every day except Wednesdays and Sundays. We open back up for the year on March 5. IF you're coming into Santiago before March 5, you can check at the Pilgrim's Office, or any of the albergues to see if they have some left behind. Let me know if you have any questions @Tio Huero and Buen Camino!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I always wonder what happens to all the poles left behind in Santiago. I've often wondered if there was some kind of service that collected all the many left behind poles (I have left 2 sets myself). They could be brought to the pilgrim office, and brought back to SJPdP, to be sold cheaper in "as is" condition. The main negative I can think of is that it would reduce tourist dollars brought in to local Spanish economy.

So I wonder...what happens to the hundreds upon hundreds of poles and sticks left each year in Santiago? Surely there are incredible amounts when over 250,000 pilgrims end their Caminos there and if even a small percentage leave their poles, it would still be a huge amount!

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 29 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 101 15.6%
  • May

Votes: 165 25.5%