• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Pilgrims Office, SJPP - Hiking Poles

BabzHikes

Time of past OR future Camino
October 2023
Does anyone know if the Pilgrims Office in St Jean have free trekking poles (donated from previous hikers) available to give for a donation? I live here in the United States and don't want to bring my hiking poles with me. I dislike the thought of buying a pair just for this one trip.
I did try searching prior to posting this, and couldn't find anything that gave me an answer. So, I apologize if this is a redundant question. Thank you in advance. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Does anyone know if the Pilgrims Office in St Jean have free trekking poles (donated from previous hikers)
There is always the slight possibility, but there is really no system that gets poles from the end of the Camino (usually Santiago) where they are abandoned/donated, back to the common starting points such as SJPP.

There are nearby stores selling poles.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
you'd think that maybe one of the baggage transportation companies could grab them every so often. Just a thought
Yes, that thought has been expressed. Perhaps it is done occasionally.

However, it would take a significant overall effort - promoting and managing a central drop-off point in Santiago, processing the packaging for shipping back to various starting points (Sarria, Leon, Burgos, Pamplona, Roncesvalles), and paying for that shipping through commercial shipping companies. There is not likely to be a volunteer driver to do the 1600 km return trip on a regular basis. Then there is the question of what the various equipment stores would think.

So, it's a nice idea, but not as easy as it might seem at first!

However, it would take a significant overall effort - promoting and managing a central drop-off point in Santiago, processing the packaging for shipping back to various starting points (Sarria, Leon, Burgos, Pamplona, Roncesvalles), and paying for that shipping through commercial shipping companies. There is not likely to be a volunteer driver to do the 1600 km return trip on a regular basis. Then there is the question of what the various equipment stores would think.

I hadn't thought about how the various stores would take it... Good point. Need to keep them in business.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

The Pilgrim House in Santiago collects poles but I don’t know what they do with them. I assume some have made their way to Saint Jean.

Maybe an opportunity for someone like Express Bourricot?
They transport luggage from St Jean to Santiago.
They could bring back poles.
But I suspect it's very much a 'one way' operation, in stages perhaps. not a dedicated van barrelling down the road and back again.

The logistics and economics of it just don't make any sense sadly.
(Sorry, I consult in Logistics)

The only reason to do it might be from a sustainability point of view with some funding to support the initiative.

On the flip side, poles can be bought almost anywhere inexpensively 😟

Last edited:
I was thinking of Express Bouricott!! They will be doing my transfer from SJPP to Santiago. (They are also picking me up at the airport when I arrive) I think I'm going to ask them what they think.
I'm just thinking of the hundreds of poles. Seems like such a waste. I understand that it may not be feasible. I also understand that it's not funded. I would just think that the Pilgrims Office is "connected" to Santiago's office, right?
Anyway, I was just hoping to recycle.
Thank you, for your input!!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I was thinking of Express Bouricott!! They will be doing my transfer from SJPP to Santiago. (They are also picking me up at the airport when I arrive) I think I'm going to ask them what they think.
I'm just thinking of the hundreds of poles. Seems like such a waste. I understand that it may not be feasible. I also understand that it's not funded. I would just think that the Pilgrims Office is "connected" to Santiago's office, right?
Anyway, I was just hoping to recycle.
Thank you, for your input!!

It will be interesting see what responses you get.
The people at Express Bourricot are wonderful.
But at the end of the day........they are running a business.
It's hard to imagine how it might work.

We've used their transfer from St Jean to Santiago for 'post Camino' luggage.
(as well as airport/station pickup and mountain shuttle)
The luggage service to Santiago worked really well.
On the surface, it seems expensive at I think 70 euros, it's well worth it.
Cross border postage (post office), I haven't tried, but the post office has limits on how long they will hold stuff in Santiago.
Transporting luggage day to day can become a logistics headache and gets costly. Way more than 70 Euros.

Sorry, I'm just a fan, and I think it's good that new Pilgrims understand the options they have regards luggage. :)

It will be interesting see what responses you get.
The people at Express Bourricot are wonderful.
But at the end of the day........they are running a business.
It's hard to imagine how it might work.

We've used their transfer from St Jean to Santiago for 'post Camino' luggage.
(as well as airport/station pickup and mountain shuttle)
The luggage service to Santiago worked really well.
On the surface, it seems expensive at I think 70 euros, it's well worth it.
Cross border postage (post office), I haven't tried, but the post office has limits on how long they will hold stuff in Santiago.
Transporting luggage day to day can become a logistics headache and gets costly. Way more than 70 Euros.

Sorry, I'm just a fan, and I think it's good that new Pilgrims understand the options they have regards luggage. :)

I couldn't agree more. I had heard such wonderful things about them. I'm glad I have asked them to pick us up and transfer my after Camino luggage on to Santiago.
I'm going in October. I will try to make a post, letting you know what they say.
I still wonder if they're driving luggage to Santiago, it just doesn't seem like it would be that hard for someone from the pilgrim's office to drop by a bunch of poles at the hotel where they drop off the luggage and they can bring it back to the pilgrim's office in St. Jean... Then again, that all just seems too easy.

Anyone wanting to actually manage a process by which discarded equipment from Santiago is deployed back to St Jean or Pamplona would be welcomed in so far as their funds lasted.

It’s one of those ‘obvious’ opportunities which has, so far, been disregarded by anyone who has to live on euros as opposed to dreams.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Does anyone know if the Pilgrims Office in St Jean have free trekking poles (donated from previous hikers) available to give for a donation? I live here in the United States and don't want to bring my hiking poles with me. I dislike the thought of buying a pair just for this one trip.
I did try searching prior to posting this, and couldn't find anything that gave me an answer. So, I apologize if this is a redundant question. Thank you in advance. Buen Camino
I went back to find one I left next day a few years back and they had a cupboard full, worth asking before buying. Offer a donation as they are a charity!
Worth a try.

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

There is a sports equipment shop a bit more than half way between town centre and the big supermarket (itself well worth the visit).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Try some local albergues/hostels. People are always for getting their poles

There is always the slight possibility, but there is really no system that gets poles from the end of the Camino (usually Santiago) where they are abandoned/donated, back to the common starting points such as SJPP.

There are nearby stores selling poles.
If you don't find them in SJPP, there is always a good possibility to find some in a pilgrim hostel.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’m not sure there are “hundreds of poles” left in Santiago. I’ve taken and returned with mine (checked of course) on ten Caminos. I assume the poles left can be used by those walking from Sarria or only to Finisterre.
Also, Bouricott transport is a business in SJPdP and is unlikely to help take a big part of business away from their neighborhooding business in SJPdP. I suggest you either take your poles or buy a pair in SJPdP. They have all price ranges including inexpensive ones.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello,
You can get them at the very friendly Pilgrim House for a donation.
I've used them for my last two Camino's.
Regards.
Roland.

Hello,
You can get them at the very friendly Pilgrim House for a donation.
I've used them for my last two Camino's.
Regards.
Roland.
For sure. But by the time the OP reaches Pilgrim House, having walked to Santiago from SJPdP, the need for them will likely have passed. It is leaving the acquisition a little late.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
For sure. But by the time the OP reaches Pilgrim House, having walked to Santiago from SJPdP, the need for them will likely have passed. It is leaving the acquisition a little late.
Exactly, worded quite eloquently. Glad someone chimed in. I'm not going to Santiago FIRST...lol.

I paid $65 euro for mine at a store in SJPDP. (Just for a point of $ reference) They made all the difference and it was the best purchase I made on the Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The Pilgrim House in Santiago collects poles but I don’t know what they do with them. I assume some have made their way to Saint Jean.
On my Torres/Geira, one of my Black Diamond folding poles broke a few days out of Santiago. I wanted to continue on to Muxia/Finisterre, and @natefaith led me to a bin in the back of the Pilgrim House where I had my pick of hiking poles. I then gave them to some Spanish friends outside Madrid, where they are still being used. So that’s one pair of poles that escaped the trash!

You could post poles to your starting hostel and in Santiago post them home again but tbh it’s probably cheaper to buy some at the start.

You could also look for a suitable wooden branch whilst walking

You could post poles to your starting hostel and in Santiago post them home again but tbh it’s probably cheaper to buy some at the start.

You could also look for a suitable wooden branch whilst walking
Although a suitable wooden branch will not provide the benefits to your knees of two trekking poles (speaking from painful personal experience). And two wooden branches, which I've seen some use, will not have the straps that facilitate their effective use.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back