• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

purchasing walking poles in St. Jean PdP

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino in fall of 2015....and it's nearly here. Start my walk from St. Jean PP on August 14th.
I'm arriving in St. Jean PdP next week to begin my walk. I'm not bringing my walking poles because I don't want to check any of my luggage on the airplane due to multiple stops before I arrive.

Are walking poles available and what is the approximate cost to purchase them in St. Jean PdP? Single wood pole and/or aluminum telescope poles....have not yet decided what type to buy.

I hear that there is a "free" basket of them in Santiago but is the same thing available in St. Jean PdP?

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
Single wooden poles are available in dozens of stores. Telescoping poles are available in a couple of sporting goods stores in the 75-100E range.

Hi Martha,

Welcome to the Forum!

In SJPdP check out the shop Direction Compostelle re hiking poles. You might use the handy email contact form on their site to ask what they have in stock and at what price.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Margaret....I'll check it out today!
Buen Camino!
Martha

I'm arriving in St. Jean PdP next week to begin my walk. I'm not bringing my walking poles because I don't want to check any of my luggage on the airplane due to multiple stops before I arrive.

Are walking poles available and what is the approximate cost to purchase them in St. Jean PdP? Single wood pole and/or aluminum telescope poles....have not yet decided what type to buy.

I hear that there is a "free" basket of them in Santiago but is the same thing available in St. Jean PdP?
Hi Martha, I too am purchasing poles in St. Jean and for the same reason. I emailed the shop in St. Jean and they are holding a pair, although I don't think it's necessary because, by the photo of their shop, they have many. I'll look for my email and send you name of the store, but meanwhile, someone might respond who knows of it. I think it's right near the Pilgrims' Center.

Hi Martha. As a Pilgrim who could not have walked without poles due to a training injury, may I make a suggestion? I relied on my poles to get to Santiago and was a keen observer of pole use by others.

I had light weight telescopic (adjustable) poles. A pair. (Fizan Lite Compact)

Firstly, I would use a pair of poles, as this provides the right balance and helps you maintain a natural gait. With one pole you will tend to favour one side and may even put your back out of alignment.

Secondly, Whilst wooden poles look nice, they are heavier, and may lack straps. An important element so that you don't need to 'grip' the pole. Also they are non adjustable. You will want to adjust the height at times.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Martha,

Welcome to the Forum!

In SJPdP check out the shop Direction Compostelle re hiking poles. You might use the handy email contact form on their site to ask what they have in stock and at what price.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith
Hi Margaret, does this shop have an English version? I cannot locate my email from the shop I had corresponded with, but they quoted more like 30 euros for poles, but perhaps they were not referring to collapsable type, which I had requested. If collapsable poles are as much as 75-100 Euros, as Falcon269 had indicated, that's a bit steep for me, so I may reconsider bringing the ones I have been training with, as much as I hate to check any kind of luggage.
Thanks…Maggie

Maggie,

The owner of the shops Direction Compostelle/Boutique du Pelerin knows English. Thus you can contact him in English.

MM

Maggie,

The owner of the shops Direction Compostelle/Boutique du Pelerin knows English. Thus you can contact him in English.

MM
Found the email from Pierre; it is the same shop. He had quoted me 30 euros for poles, so I have sent another message to ask if the price was for collapsible type (which I did request). I'll let Martha know it's the same shop.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks Margaret....I'll check it out today!
Buen Camino!
Martha
Hi Martha, the shop that Margaret sent you the message on, is the same one where I had requested poles. Pierre quoted me 30 Euros but I have sent another message to him asking him to confirm if they are the collapsable type (which I had requested he hold for me).

I've used fiberglass poles, Pacer Poles, and wooden bastons that I purchased from local shops.

All worked fine for me.
I do not use straps when I'm walking with any of my poles,
If you fall, it's a good way to break a wrist, imo.
I realize this is a matter of choice - just sayin.

For what it is worth, I bought a collapsible pole this year in April from this shop (Boutique du Pélèrin in the rue de la citadelle in SJPdP). I was prepared to buy the best hi-tec equipment available no matter what it would cost but it turned out there are only two kinds on offer, at a price of 15 EUR or 20 EUR for one pole. The brand name is élémenterre. You can see it here: http://www.elementerre.fr/produit.php?ref=tramp&id_rubrique=19&id_car=6&id_rubrique=6&lang=2
I see that the price quote to me was probably for one pole, although I did ask for a quote for a pair. I'll ponder this. Thanks

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've used fiberglass poles, Pacer Poles, and wooden bastons that I purchased from local shops.

All worked fine for me.
I do not use straps when I'm walking with any of my poles,
If you fall, it's a good way to break a wrist, imo.
I realize this is a matter of choice - just sayin.
Thanks Annie; I'll ponder this a bit. With our pathetic Canadian dollar sinking, it us upping my costs significantly in the exchange rate. I may just bring what I've been using and bite the bullet and check them through.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Martha. As a Pilgrim who could not have walked without poles due to a training injury, may I make a suggestion? I relied on my poles to get to Santiago and was a keen observer of pole use by others.

I had light weight telescopic (adjustable) poles. A pair. (Fizan Lite Compact)

Firstly, I would use a pair of poles, as this provides the right balance and helps you maintain a natural gait. With one pole you will tend to favour one side and may even put your back out of alignment.

Secondly, Whilst wooden poles look nice, they are heavier, and may lack straps. An important element so that you don't need to 'grip' the pole. Also they are non adjustable. You will want to adjust the height at times.

Thank you so very much for your advice....I showed it to my son, an avid backpacker, and he totally agreed. He is bringing his poles over today to teach me how to use them so that when I arrive in St. Jean PdP on Thursday I'll know what size to get and how to use them. Gracias...Martha

Thanks Annie; I'll ponder this a bit. With our pathetic Canadian dollar sinking, it us upping my costs significantly in the exchange rate. I may just bring what I've been using and bite the bullet and check them through.

Yeah Maggie, and honestly, those inexpensive bastons (6-10 euros) you buy from the locals are beautifully made and make a great remembrance of your trip. You can just stick a label on them and check them through on the way home. No need to wrap them. They are literally indestructible!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I emailed the shop and got an fast reply: wood sticks are 6, 9 or 10 euros depending on the model.
Telescopic stick with antichoc is 15, 18 or 20 euros. He doesn't say a pair so am assuming that's per pole.
My son tells me I need two so will bite the bullet as I don't want to deal with security on the flight as I have two layovers before I reach Madrid.

Yeah Maggie, and honestly, those inexpensive bastons (6-10 euros) you buy from the locals are beautifully made and make a great remembrance of your trip. You can just stick a label on them and check them through on the way home. No need to wrap them. They are literally indestructible!
Just emailed Pierre. He will hold a pair for me and a hat! Thanks Annie

I emailed the shop and got an fast reply: wood sticks are 6, 9 or 10 euros depending on the model.
Telescopic stick with antichoc is 15, 18 or 20 euros. He doesn't say a pair so am assuming that's per pole.
My son tells me I need two so will bite the bullet as I don't want to deal with security on the flight as I have two layovers before I reach Madrid.
So glad it's all working out for you Martha; and for me too. Pierre is holding me a pair, as well as a hat!.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Dear Martha, you did not say where your first stop is when arriving in Spain,but all large and medium size towns have Chinese bazaar shops and all of them from our experience sell shock absorber collapse able poles and they sell at 5 or6 euros each, we got 4 in Pamplona and they were perfectly adequate for the whole journey. It was certainly cheaper than paying to have them checked in with Ryanair as security will not allow walking poles in carry on luggage in Santiago. Saying this we have never had any problems with other Spanish airports so not sure why Santiago security are so strict.Maybe the tourist office in St.jean would know if there is a bazaar there as the walking poles are no different from the basic ones bought at any sports shop. Hope you can find what you need at a reasonable price. Best wishes for your camino.

We bought poles at the shop in SJPdP and I was most impressed with the owner who speaks fluent English and was extremely helpful. He gave my son lessons in how to use the collapsible poles and the pair he bought cost 20 euro for each pole. When he got to SDC he posted them home to Australia in a specially designed post pak which is triangular in shape and is used expressly for that purpose. If you go to the little post office in the Pilgrims Office Complex in SDC the staff there (very nice young man when we were there) will help you to pack your poles and fill out the necessary customs forms to get them home.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back