A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Question about occasional luggage transfer

shierly

Camino(s) past & future
I plan to walk the Camino in September 2019
So.. I'm in research stage of my camino, and I have a question about luggage transfer that I can't seem to find the answer for anywhere.

I understand that people who use daily luggage transfer will have a day pack with them too, but for those who would like to only use the service occasionally (e.g. on particularly difficult days or after injury), how do you carry your stuff during the day (water, food, extra layers, etc) if you send your backpack ahead?

Thanks.

Advertisment

CdnDreamer

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2015 & 2018) San Salvador (2018)
At first I used a small bag but found it wasn't comfortable. So I bought a duffle bag at a "china" store in Spain and put all the extras into it (sleeping bag, extra clothes, extra medicine) and sent that ahead with the luggage transfer company. I spent a lot of time and money getting the right backpack, so I found it was great to still use my backpack each day.

shierly

Camino(s) past & future
At first I used a small bag but found it wasn't comfortable. So I bought a duffle bag at a "china" store in Spain and put all the extras into it (sleeping bag, extra clothes, extra medicine) and sent that ahead with the luggage transfer company. I spent a lot of time and money getting the right backpack, so I found it was great to still use my backpack each day.
Oh I like that idea.. there are lightweight foldable duffel bags too.

Camino(s) past & future
September (2018)
I have been considering doing as you have related, but am concerned that if I choose to use a luggage transfer, and use my current 38 L backpack that without it being full all the weight will be at the bottom and so I’m wondering If I should switch to smaller daypack- even though that’s not my preference.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2015
I have been considering doing as you have related, but am concerned that if I choose to use a luggage transfer, and use my current 38 L backpack that without it being full all the weight will be at the bottom and so I’m wondering If I should switch to smaller daypack- even though that’s not my preference.
Perhaps you could lace up the pack to hold things closer to the back. Or you could could carry your sleeping bag or quilt fluffed up to fill most of the pack's space with the transport service carrying the heavier items like your spare footwear and clothes.

Advertisment

Camino(s) past & future
September (2018)
Perhaps you could lace up the pack to hold things closer to the back. Or you could could carry your sleeping bag or quilt fluffed up to fill most of the pack's space with the transport service carrying the heavier items like your spare footwear and clothes.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. It’s crazy how we/ I obsess over all of this isn’t it? I’m just trying to do what I can to be prepared and enjoy myself. Thanks for your input.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
if I choose to use a luggage transfer, and use my current 38 L backpack that without it being full all the weight will be at the bottom
I don't think this should be a problem for that size of backpack and the amount of weight you will be carrying. You likely have a pouch at the top you can use for some "heavy" items, your spare jacket and rain gear go in the main part, and water in the side pouches. If it fits properly, the weight will mostly be transferred to your hips, anyway, so I don't think it would be a problem to dump everything in the main part.
For sure, don't use a flimsy little backpack. (And I wouldn't carry my sleeping bag just to fill the space.)

Really it won't be a problem. :)

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (Planning)
but for those who would like to only use the service occasionally (e.g. on particularly difficult days or after injury), how do you carry your stuff during the day (water, food, extra layers, etc) if you send your backpack ahead?
Inside my backpack, I always carry a mini-backpack I bought in Decathlon for less than AUD5. It weights 100g.
https://www.decathlon.com.au/p/8331388_arpenaz-10l-day-hiking-backpack-blue-purple.html#/9-235-_

(I've been so happy since Decathlon opened in Australia!)

The few times I sent my backpack ahead, this little one was enough to carry the basics (documents, socks, poncho, water, etc). On the other days, that is what I used to walk around towns, if I could leave my normal pack at the accomodations. I thought it was lighter and easier to deal with than a duffle bag, which is also an interesting option.

In days that were raining, I would also chuck a few items inside it, then inside the normal bag, then everything under the poncho just to add an extra layer between important things and rain :p

Anamiri

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
For a normal size pack, it was 5 euros until Sarria, then 3 euros. There is a sliding scale of fees I think as I saw some people sending giant suitcases ahead, they were paying more than 5 euros. Try the Jacotrans website.

shierly

Camino(s) past & future
For a normal size pack, it was 5 euros until Sarria, then 3 euros. There is a sliding scale of fees I think as I saw some people sending giant suitcases ahead, they were paying more than 5 euros. Try the Jacotrans website.
BTW is it possible to send “care packages” or send luggage ahead not to Santiago but to the next main stop (e.g from SJPdP to Logrono then to Leon etc)? I may need to replenish my medications etc every so often and don’t want to carry too much at a time.

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (Planning)
You can send packs/backpacks/boxes ahead to any city along the way with luggage transfer, you just have to write the proper tags on the packs you are sending and add the correct amount of money in a little envelope, or pay online, depending on the company.

A lot of people usually send their things to every stop, so they have their bag at the end of the day. You can send your extra medications with your backpack.

Also, if you need things that can be bought over the counter, you will find pharmacies quite often. every medium/large village has at least one.

shierly

Camino(s) past & future
You can send packs/backpacks/boxes ahead to any city along the way with luggage transfer, you just have to write the proper tags on the packs you are sending and add the correct amount of money in a little envelope, or pay online, depending on the company.

A lot of people usually send their things to every stop, so they have their bag at the end of the day. You can send your extra medications with your backpack.

Also, if you need things that can be bought over the counter, you will find pharmacies quite often. every medium/large village has at least one.
So it costs the same to transfer it daily and to a particular city in one go? (Ie 5 euro for next town or 20 euro for 4 towns ahead?)

Anamya

Keeping it simple
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015)
Camino Portugues (2017)
Lebaniego (Planning)
So it costs the same to transfer it daily and to a particular city in one go? (Ie 5 euro for next town or 20 euro for 4 towns ahead?)
Yup, they usually charge "per stage" (one stage being roughly 10km-25km).

Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
BTW is it possible to send “care packages” or send luggage ahead not to Santiago but to the next main stop (e.g from SJPdP to Logrono then to Leon etc)? I may need to replenish my medications etc every so often and don’t want to carry too much at a time.
You can mail things to yourself to post offices along the way. Check to find out how long they will hold them.

Camino(s) past & future
Travel318
You can’t send things four stops ahead unless you made arrangements with an albergue to hold it for you. The service limits distance it will drop bags. Jacotrans os great. Ask them via their Facebook page or twitter.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP – SdC (2017)
Waiting for an opportunity to walk again...
I had a backpack flight cover with me, like a big dry sack, that came in very handy for sending the heavy stuff ahead when I needed to walk a little lighter due to foot injury. I could even share it with my two walking companions thus lightening their load for the day as well. And I still had my backpack on me to attach my hiking umbrella to.

Camino(s) past & future
Travel318
How much are you typically charged for transportation? Is there a limit to the size of the pack they will transport for you? Is it safe?
It’s typically 5 euro. Super safe (it’s their business. You’ll always find your bag waiting for you. I think 25lb is the limit. You can make pickup request here. https://www.jacotrans.es/en/ Best to do it before 8pm the night before. Note that there are different #’s to call for four regions or you can email request. If this is confusing, ask your host to help you. Their FB page was also easy.

shierly

Camino(s) past & future
I had a backpack flight cover with me, like a big dry sack, that came in very handy for sending the heavy stuff ahead when I needed to walk a little lighter due to foot injury. I could even share it with my two walking companions thus lightening their load for the day as well. And I still had my backpack on me to attach my hiking umbrella to.
I had to look up hiking umbrella after I read this. OMG best invention ever. Definitely will need to get one before my camino!

Camino(s) past & future
Aug-Sept(2016) SJPDP-Finisterre, July-Aug(2017) SJPDP-Muxia-Finisterre, July-Aug(2018) El Norte
I found my hands free umbrella to be invaluable for providing shade on the Meseta.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPP – SdC (2017)
Waiting for an opportunity to walk again...
I had to look up hiking umbrella after I read this. OMG best invention ever. Definitely will need to get one before my camino!
I used mine practically every day, once for rain, the other 35 days for the sun. It made such a difference! Highly recommended.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018
...how do you carry your stuff during the day (water, food, extra layers, etc) if you send your backpack ahead?
We bought a 20 liter dry sack at REI to hold things we needed to ship ahead. It was also useful as “carry-on” for the flights to and from Spain.

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 32 4.6%
  • April

Votes: 106 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 172 24.7%