• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Question about Via de La Plata from Merida starting November 02, 2023

Roger0704

Let's walk the talk.....
Time of past OR future Camino
I did CF April/May 2018...
Gonna Do Camino Norte April 2019
Question...

How would the weather, accomodations be from Merida till Santiago ( also taking Sanabres) ( 02/11-08/12-23).?
Who will also be on the trail then ?
I start the 30-9 from Almería on the Camino Mozarabe, and there is an opening for me, to go from Merida all the way..!!
And now it starts itching....
Who can give me a little honest information to make a good decision...

Thanks already for the help

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
By the time you start walking from Merida there will be very few people walking that route. It starts getting cold(er) in the hills of Galicia by the start of November and the vast majority of people have finished hiking by early November. I suggest you look at Gronze or other sources about accommodation because quite a few places close later in the year when the numbers of hikers drops dramatically. That said, I think it’s great to walk in some degree of solitude. I have done it on the Via August and San Salvador/Primitivo and I think it’s great.

Go for it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have walked the Via de la Plata in January twice. Many places are closed so you may have to walk long stages. You would also need to be sure to carry some food on occasions. I have mostly walked in cool dry weather but there have been days of rain and snow. Occasionally freezing temperatures overnight. Weather is very unpredictable but you should expect it to be cold around Salamanca and on the Sanabres sections through Galicia.

Did Vigo to Ferrol / Ruta do Mar in late November to early December last year. Weather was autumnal so nothing really to worry about. There were a couple of days when there was heavy rain around Vigo and had a problem drying out the boots but it happens.

Travelling at that time of the year means you see some of the wonderful Xmas celebrations as the Spanish start the Xmas season early.

Attachments

• IMG_0075.JPG
    IMG_0075.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0083.JPG
    IMG_0083.JPG
    863.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3641.JPG
    IMG_3641.JPG
    6 MB · Views: 4
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
following! I hope to start the VdlP mid october in Sevilla.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello I am hoping to start the Plata in Salamanca, walking from Salamanca to Santiago from roughly 20 September to 20 October. Can anyone give me advice about bringing warm clothing? Do I need anything very different from the caminos I have done in April-August? Will I need to carry a warm jacket? Warm socks?

You have walked many caminos. I would say that you don't need anything different for a camino in April-May. The secret is to have light layers that can be combined for whatever weather you might have. I would never take a "warm jacket" because my light rain shell over some of my light layers works just as well and is more versatile. I never use thick socks, but almost always take a merino wool pair for night time or walking in rain. (Normally I prefer light synthetic socks.)

Thanks. That makes sense to me.

I cannot figure out how to add the caminos I have done since 2019 to my profile :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Question...

How would the weather, accomodations be from Merida till Santiago ( also taking Sanabres) ( 02/11-08/12-23).?
Who will also be on the trail then ?
I start the 30-9 from Almería on the Camino Mozarabe, and there is an opening for me, to go from Merida all the way..!!
And now it starts itching....
Who can give me a little honest information to make a good decision...

Thanks already for the help
Hi, I plan to walk from Sevilla to Salamanca, starting, about 2nd November (that is probably as far as I can walk on this occasion). Any advice/ information very gratefully received. I plan to stop for a (rest / sightseeing) day in Zafra; and also at least a day in Merida. I would prefer to plan days not longer than about 30 klm per day... all information/ advice gratefully received.

One of the features of the VDLP compared with busier routes in the north is that there are fewer towns with accommodation, which of course controls the distance you get to walk each day. I like walking longish distances but often found I was limited to around the 20k mark because the alternative was double that. Look at Gronze to get an idea what you are facing and just accept what you can’t change and what is not practicable for you. Apart from that, just enjoy what should be a fun and rewarding journey

I should also say that by the time you plan to start there won’t be many hikers so keep an eye on Gronze or whatever for information about accommodation that has closed at the end of the ‘season’.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
Hello, Has anyone travelled by train or bus from Santiago to Zamora on to Granja de Moreruela, I've checked online and it seems there is a train from Santiago to Zamora. I will be flying from the...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?
I left them on the trail about 4-5 k before Cea I expect to be in Santiago on April 27-28. Mu email is written on the sides of the poles (for just this eventuality). If you find them and we can...
I think I’m on day 12, so not quite two weeks in. Thus far the VDLP is definitely a different animal than the CF. And I have to say, I’m struggling to enjoy it as much as the CF last year. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back