Question on cinching down backpack | Camino de Santiago Forum
Camino Guides (for sale) | Camino Guides made by pilgrims

By Signing up to the forum (free) you will be able to:

-- Ask any Camino related question you might have
-- Participate in the camino conversation on this forum
-- Get an weekly e-mail (Saturdays) with the most popular topics from the last 7 days
-- Be able to download pdf's and other Camino Resources
Sign
Weekly forum email Daily forum email Luggage Storage in Santiago de Compostela
Search 30 000 Camino Questions right here... your question might have been asked before
Dismiss Notice
Have a question you would like to ask? Here is how you do it!

Question on cinching down backpack

Discussion in 'Equipment Questions' started by MBenny, Sep 14, 2017.

1. MBenny

MBenny New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF April-June 2018
    I have just received my Exos 48 and love how light it is. I know part of the light weight to the pack is the lack of straps but I am wondering how to keep from the gear puffing out the pack. The straps go around the sides of the pack but nothing goes across the front(or is it the back?) I just put in what I have begun to collect in packing squares. I feel if things puff out it would be easy for the load to shift. I have just begun so if you have ideas I can try new ways to pack.

2. jozero

jozero Oh... That's what the shell is for... Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF January 2013
    CF April 2016
    CF January 2018
    I think you'll find that there won't be a whole lot of shifting once you have all your gear in the pack. The Camino isn't an aggressive mountaineering experience but rather a simple hike on flat trails and roads. The other thought that comes to mind however, is that if you have so much gear in a 48 litre pack that it puffs out, then you probably just have far too much gear. If you've pared things down as far as you can then compression bags will help keep some things under control but again, if you are carrying that much weight that it needs to be compressed to fit, 800kms is going to feel very, very long!
    Buen Camino!

Camino Chris and Peter Barker like this.
  3. MBenny

MBenny New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF April-June 2018
    Thank you for your help. I guess I needed to hear just that. I am in the beginning stages of preparing and thought I was doing good. Downsizing is the first step. I will look into compression bags too

jozero likes this.
  4. Camino Chris

Camino Chris Veteran Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (April/May 2017)
    My daughter in law used her new Exos48 on our spring Camino and she is 5'7" and only weighs 120 lbs. She loved the pack and got it xs/sm. I thought it looked fine on her and she had no problems carrying her load. Try not to worry, you will be fine!

jozero likes this.
  5. jozero

jozero Oh... That's what the shell is for... Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF January 2013
    CF April 2016
    CF January 2018
    I'm sure you're doing great, not an easy thing to let go of our fears and pack very light! If you haven't already, check out a fellow first-timer's packing list
    First time posting anything here, but I have been lurking these forums for several months now.... he has a great list and a very usable weight. It won't be the same as yours but a good starting point for you. When your ready, feel free to post your packing list and there will be many who will offer suggestions :)
    Good luck!

Camino Chris likes this.
  6. Kitsambler

Kitsambler Jakobsweg Junkie

Camino(s) past & future:
    Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017
    The Exos 48 is the perfect pack for Camino walking - I've used mine for four years now. The straps you seek are on the sides, arranged in z-fasion. A nice video explanation of all the pack features, including the compression straps, is here:

amparo likes this.
  7. MBenny

MBenny New Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    CF April-June 2018
    Thank you all for your support. I think I just need to play around with how to pack it. The pack is nowhere near full just not very even. I am going to try compression bags next instead of square ones. I need to learn how to keep everything up against my back. The side straps should work. No stress just excited to be playing Pilgrim

Phil W likes this.
  8. Kitsambler

Kitsambler Jakobsweg Junkie

Camino(s) past & future:
    Le Puy 2010-11, Prague 2012, Nuremberg 2013, Einsiedeln 2015, Geneva 2017
    If you keep the long axis of your bags parallel with your spine, rather than perpendicular to it, this might help.

amparo likes this.
  9. domigee

domigee Veteran Member Donating Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Started walking in 2012
    There are compression straps on the shouldver straps, both at the top (near the neck) and lower down (underneath the little pouch). They make the bag stay closer to your body.

amparo likes this.
  10. Glenn Rowe

Glenn Rowe Active Member

Camino(s) past & future:
    Ah-hem! You may not be a religious or spiritual pilgrim but, if you're walking the entire route, you're not playing at anything. You have one or more reasons -- motivations -- for undertaking such a journey. It might be a good idea for you to begin considering what they are. The answer may not come to you right away; in fact, it may not come to you until you're nearing the end of your journey.