• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Questions about walking alone

eddy_sarah

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances -- August 2013
Hello, all!

I am thrilled to be starting my camino walk in 24 days (...not that I'm counting, or anything...). I just graduated from college, will turn 23 on the trail, and am planning to be in Europe for the next 4 months. I couldn't be any more excited.

Although I am not too worried about traveling alone, for the sake of my parents I'd love to hear any feedback travelers have about traveling solo (particularly as a young female). I am flying into Barcelona, plan to spend a night there and then stop in Pamplona before starting in St. Jean. Besides general caution, were there any things people did to keep themselves safe? Anything you would do differently?

Grateful for your feedback, and please introduce yourself if you will be on the trail anytime between late August-late September!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Congrats on walking the Camino!

I was 30 (and am female) and have started each Camino alone. However, in my experience I'm never alone. You meet people on the first day who will be your friends and shortly after some of them, if not most, will be your family.

This never made since to my father who truly worries about me when I travel. However, last weeks he met me in Santiago so he could witness an ending to a walk. He met my "family" and all of the people he met calmed his nerves. He saw that my new friends new me very well and would do anything to help me if I was in need. I often say that I truly believe a fellow pilgrim would do anything for me if I was in need. I hold dear to this belief and that is one reason it is so easy to start walking-- you make instant friends and family!

I'm confident that you are safe, but I do understand that it is hard for people outside of the Camino culture to understand this. If you can try to express this to your father it might help, but he may not understand until he sees how you are when you return from your walk.

Burn Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Exercise normal caution and you will be fine. Fellow pilgrims will be very protective, generally. If you act available, you will attract both the ones you want to meet and the ones you don't! If you associate with everyone, I doubt you will be singled out by anyone. I met a German girl who attracted a stalker in Burgos, probably through no fault of her own, and several other Spanish pilgrims stayed with her for a couple of days until the stalker gave up. She suffered nothing more than annoyance, but make sure that the vibrations you send out cannot be mistaken.

Buen Camino!

Hi, eddy_sarah,

Maybe you should introduce your parents to this forum so they can see and feel some of the Camino energy first hand.

Regarding walking alone I would second falcon269, specially about acting (non)available. I was walking alone myself too (male in 40's) and tend to limit even the most formal conversation to the minimum, reading in the far corner, eating solo etc. But somehow walked most days on the second half of CF with this girl from Barcelona (an opera singer), policeman from Valencia, student from Denmark and PR consultant for Porsche from Germany :lol:

Ultreia!

Hi! I'd agree with the posts above. The Camino is probably as safe as anywhere so enjoy the freedom and trust that you'll experience while also taking sensible precautions (minimise the cash you're carrying, don't leave cell phones on café tables etc.). Employ a bit of extra caution in the larger town and cities.

Do take care when passing through Barcelona, which has quite a bad reputation for pickpocketing and other theft. You may be a bit lost but try to look confident rather than a potential victim. There are hardships and social problems in Spain, and people do occasionally approach you for money/cigarettes etc as they would in many places. They're probably not trying to rob you so just be respectful but assertive.

Buen Camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hullo,

These days on the Camino there will always be a pilgrim not far behind you and the ones ahead. When I walked (alone) the pilgrim community was like a perfectly spaced beaded necklace all the way to Santiago. Still it is good to be aware life can be unpredictable - a friend who walked the year before had an encounter that made her fearful although she was not in any way harmed. Similar to a previous post to your question pilgrims supported her and kept her close for the next few days. Carrying a staff is a good idea too, to be wielded ninjaesque at any misbehaving person on the path and otherwise put to good use on some of those scrambles down steep scree slopes. Walk tall and have a wonderful journey.

When I set off on my first camino I was a 19yr old lad. Within 2 days I met other lone walkers who quickly became my family so much so that we walked all the way to Finisterre together. To this day we talk on facebook.

Daunting at first perhaps, but once you get into the swing of things it's easy peasy. Exercise the same amount of caution you would in any other hostel of the world and you will have a fantastic time.

Good luck and enjoy your post-camino European adventure!

Hi Eddy_Sarah,
Welcome :) Would like to wish you the best of luck for your upcoming first Camino journey. Will be start my first Camino in Sept from St. Jean

Buen Camino
Aidan :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you for the replies! You've all put my nerves at ease. I'm hopeful that I'll come into a good camino family that I can stick with.

I just finished my Camino on July 23rd in Muxia. I walked alone, but rarely did I feel alone. There are always people to meet and like the others said, pilgrims take care of each other. I had injured my knee going in to Roncesvalles and so many pilgrims offered to help me the week or two afterwards.
P.S. I stayed in Orisson the first night and all of us felt like an instant Camino family that night after dinner. It was a wonderful feeling when we all arrived into Roncesvalles the next day and had dinner again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Eddy_Sarah,

I get into SJPDP on 31st August late morning. Still undecided whether ill make the walk to roncesvalles that day.
Perhaps ill see you on the trail!

Great replies - true, Barcelona is Renowned! for its pickpockets ... in an big town or city there are predators but they only want to steal - stranger you don't like the feel of comes up immediately take two steps backwards, you will be out of their range - but it won't happen. The Camino Frances is considered to be the safest 'street' for a single woman on the planet.
Buen Camino!

There is a code in Camino that you are a pilgrim and locals will stick to saying hello or they don't say anything until you say hello. I walked 7 days in July and I am going back for part 2 in July and will be starting from Rioja (where I left off) when are you starting? There are days that you want to walk solitude and days you want to company and make it clear to anyone who walks with you that you might want some private time as its amazing to be walking alone and its totally safe. But always respect where you are and cloth properly and keep your valuable safe and send copies of your documents (passport, creditcards etc. to someone) not in Camino but that you can reach if you lose something. Start early and finish early so you can rest your feet, your body and your soul and leave a bit of room in your time to see what's around you. Buen Camino! Private message if you want to connect up.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ps: Pamplona is also well known for pickpockets - esp. Estafeta street behind the Plaza Castillo where all the crowded bars are and people standing outside of it as its thick with crowd and lost my blackberry there. So don't carry your cellphones, wallets in your pockets as they will lift it so keep it safe close by. Avoid crowds - its a chance for stuff like this. Too bad I was careless for 2 mins and too late when I got through the crowd, phone gone.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back