• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Re: best french cell phone company for le puy route #2

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
I am the first to heartily admit that I remain an unabashed dinosaur and resist all attempts by friends, colleagues, and family to succumb to the cell phone madness-I have been often distressed by fellow pilgrims who walk through enchanting villages, over impressive mountains, by wonderful valleys their ear pressed into the bit of plastic blah blah blah and who apparently do not see a thing - apparently fearing to alone with their thoughts and soul. In Santiago this past Spring there seemed to be more cell phones then pilgrims, pilgrims who cannot remember to shut them down when entering into churches. Despite my antediluvian opinions I do recognize the need to phone ahead to insure lodging on the Le Puy Camino so I will probably surrender ungraciously and purchase something simple in Le Puy-something which I will have no regrets leaving behind in the airport when I return home (which recycle basket does it go into?). My question-do the different forms of lodgings in France albergues, gites, pensions, B&B's, hotels etc have coin fed computers as in Spain for the occasional e-mail, Facebook (yes, you can guess my opinion on this one too), my weekly Skype connections? Or must I unconditionally surrender and take a more expensive model for these needs.
Scruffy

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm sorry to report the demise of the local internet cafe, and coin-operated computers never caught on in France. Wifi is your best bet for a data connection. However, many places treat the wifi as only the owner's private network, and do not share the password with pilgrims or set up a separate access area for pilgrims. This tends to force pilgrims onto cell-network data usage, which has a very different (and much pricier) expense profile than here in the US. It is usually possible to sniff up an unprotected network connection fairly often, just not when and where you would expect.

For your situation, if expense is the chief concern, I would recommend an inexpensive phone-only model. If you are more concerned about data connectivity, then perhaps it is time to consider a non-disposable data phone that you would retain (and continue to use) once you return home.

scruffy1 said:
I do recognize the need to phone ahead to insure lodging on the Le Puy Camino.
Scruffy

We did that route in September and never once called ahead. We have a flexible budget, but all levels of lodging were available.

If it were a weekend, with possible rain on the way, I think calling might not be a bad idea. There are little signs along the trail with numbers to call.

Smartphones have indeed wiped out internet cafes. Wi-Fi is pretty easy to find, but if you need regular internet access, you'll need a device.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks with a big Sigh!

It depends when you are walking whether you need to book ahead. May is the busiest month for walkers in France, followed by the early part of September. There are phone boxes in some towns/villages that you can use for ringing ahead- but not always. Sometimes gite owners will ring ahead for you to the next place. But Kit is quite right about internet access- you are not going to find any kind of computer to use in most gites or in most towns/villages. Local libraries do have computer access, but they tend to have quite limited hours in rural places, and I never found one open when I was passing through...
Margaret

do you feel we would need a cellphone for the Camino Portugal (Porto to Santiago) in May in order to book ahead for accomodation? ie is it as busy as the Spanish route?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No need whatsoever, fewer people and true smaller albergues, but I never needed one. Let me rephrase, I am very comfortable living in the early 20th century and feel no need whatsoever to be immediately available to drop everything in order to pick up yet another uninvited interference into my thoughts, my meditations, my studies, or my prayers. They invented the answering machine for people like me who can access reality when it is convenient to me, I do not possess a cell phone and have not yet decided if to take one to Le Puy-should you bring one along do remember to shut down 2/3 of the applications and capabilities of your phone since it will cost you dearly upon return. Pick up a cheapo there with limited possibilities of use.

Most read last week in this forum

I have just boarded an Iberia flight to Madrid, and so far have seen two people come on with collapsed poles attached to their backpacks. The topic that never dies……
The standard response to what to do when you get bed bugs, is to wash and dry everything at 60 degrees. But if you do that to your silk sleeping bag liner or your merino socks or t shirts or down...
I will do the Camino Frances from mid June to mid July and will start in Pamplona. Should I take a fleece/cold weather garment?
Hey all! Having rabbit holed many, many packing lists, I'd love y'alls feedback on my packing list - https://lighterpack.com/r/p6hm36 For context, I'm 49, medium experienced hiker, weigh 200lbs...
Does anyone have experience with the Patagonia Cool Daily long sleeve hoody on the Camino? Last summer on the Norte I wore the REI Sahara long sleeve t-shirt and while I liked it I found it a bit...
The new "Experience" line from Altra looks interesting. Has anybody tried them yet? I will order a pair of Altra Experience Wild and report back after some day hikes. They have the traditional...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.