• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Redoing the bits I missed on the CF: Transport access questions

Burton Axxe

Time of past OR future Camino
April-May 2023
Hi all.

In late October I'm returning to the CF to do the parts I was unable to complete on my first Camino (April this year). Now, I'm geogrphically quite familiar with the area and I am one of those who can usually find relevant transport data without resorting to inquiring in forums. But a few things have me stumped and I thought it might be better to defer to someone who is either on the ground or really knows their stuff.

Keep in mind that I have strict flight day restraints and would prefer not to waste any days.

There are two parts:

1. I arrive in Madrid on a Thursday at 14:30 and will take the train to Pamplona, expecting to arrive around 20:00ish. The aim is to get to Roncesvalles next morning because the route from Roncesvalles to Pamplona is one that I didn't do before. One website tells me that there is a daily bus leaving Pamplona at 13:50 everyday, while Rome 2 Rio tells me that a bus leaves at 10:00 every morning. The latter would be fine, as I want to start walking from Roncesvalles immediately. But which is correct? If it is the 13:50 departure, that's too late for me and I would like to know my opitions for getting from Pamplona to Roncesvalles in the morning -- outside of an expensive solo taxi ride.

2. After, I want to go from Pamplona to Carrion de las Condes in order to walk from there to Leon, another section I missed previously. On most days, it would seem that a train Pamplona to Burgos would be best, spend the night in Burgos, and then take the 10:30 Alsa bus next morning (10:30) to Carrion. However, this bus does not run on Sundays and also appears (according to Omio) not to run on Mondays, which is when I would need to catch it. Is it correct that this bus does not run on Mondays as well ?

If so, it seems like Pamplona to Palencia by train followed by Palencia to Carrion by bus (same day) and spending the night in Carrion before I start would be my best bet.

Any advice is welcome with thanks in advance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi all.

In late October I'm returning to the CF to do the parts I was unable to complete on my first Camino (April this year). Now, I'm geogrphically quite familiar with the area and I am one of those who can usually find relevant transport data without resorting to inquiring in forums. But a few things have me stumped and I thought it might be better to defer to someone who is either on the ground or really knows their stuff.

Keep in mind that I have strict flight day restraints and would prefer not to waste any days.

There are two parts:

1. I arrive in Madrid on a Thursday at 14:30 and will take the train to Pamplona, expecting to arrive around 20:00ish. The aim is to get to Roncesvalles next morning because the route from Roncesvalles to Pamplona is one that I didn't do before. One website tells me that there is a daily bus leaving Pamplona at 13:50 everyday, while Rome 2 Rio tells me that a bus leaves at 10:00 every morning. The latter would be fine, as I want to start walking from Roncesvalles immediately. But which is correct? If it is the 13:50 departure, that's too late for me and I would like to know my opitions for getting from Pamplona to Roncesvalles in the morning -- outside of an expensive solo taxi ride.

2. After, I want to go from Pamplona to Carrion de las Condes in order to walk from there to Leon, another section I missed previously. On most days, it would seem that a train Pamplona to Burgos would be best, spend the night in Burgos, and then take the 10:30 Alsa bus next morning (10:30) to Carrion. However, this bus does not run on Sundays and also appears (according to Omio) not to run on Mondays, which is when I would need to catch it. Is it correct that this bus does not run on Mondays as well ?

If so, it seems like Pamplona to Palencia by train followed by Palencia to Carrion by bus (same day) and spending the night in Carrion before I start would be my best bet.

Any advice is welcome with thanks in advance.
I attached the bus route from this summer from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• roncesvalles.pdf
    109.9 KB · Views: 12
What about taking the train from Pamplona to Fromista and a cab to Carrion? Kind of a long trip with a layover in Palencia but, looks like the train runs Sunday and Monday

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What about taking the train from Pamplona to Fromista and a cab to Carrion? Kind of a long trip with a layover in Palencia but, looks like the train runs Sunday and Monday
Thanks for your two responses.

That late departure from Pamplona to Roncesvalles is problematic. How would a pilgrim get up there earlier in the morning?

Regarding Palencia to Carrion, there is a direct bus that connects well with the train’s arrival from Pamplona, whereas if I went via Fromista, I’d have to transfer trains, involving a 3 hour wait, and yet still be a taxi ride short of my destination.

The ideal would be a Monday morning bus from Burgos to Carrion but that doesn’t seem to be a thing, unless someone knows otherwise.

Ok, only one bus per day to Roncesvalles so a cab is the alternative.

If the bus doesn't run Mondays, you have to wait until Tuesday if you don't want the alternative with a 3 hr wait in Palencia. Trains and buses are good in Spain but not always exactly what we want.

Your bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles seems to be your pain point, due to the time of your arrival from Madrid to Pamplona.

I see you are walking the missing links in their original order but could you perhaps get a better fit by walking the Carrion de las Condes to Leon section first and then transporting the Pamplona for the other missing link?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Your bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles seems to be your pain point, due to the time of your arrival from Madrid to Pamplona.

I see you are walking the missing links in their original order but could you perhaps get a better fit by walking the Carrion de las Condes to Leon section first and then transporting the Pamplona for the other missing link?
Indeed this represents one possible solution- go from Madrid to Burgos, stay overnight in Burgos then bus to Carrion next morning. Might do.

The issue then is Leon to Pamplona on the return, in time to catch that afternoon bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles. I’m also a little concerned about snow etc if I delay Roncesvalles (it would become early November).

Most read last week in this forum

For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
Hi! I plan to go on El Camino Portugues starting in Vigo this summer, and after, I am going to explore Europe. I need a suitcase for my trip after El Camino, and I have been struggling to...
Looking to book a train from Santiago to Madrid in late June and there are no trains on any day even today on the Renfe site? Queries to Renfe generate an error. Does anyone know what is happening?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back