• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Renault 4

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Because I know that the most members of this forum are from "over the ocean" I doubt that they would contribute to this thread. Nevertheless, that is really an item that had became something special over the years compared to my Camino "hook". It's Renault 4, simple 4-gear car (TL-850ccm & later GTL-1100ccm), kind of an "tin envelope with an engine" so to speak, but with the same charm as maybe VW Bug in the States. I used to have three of them in the row when I was a student, 20+ years ago: bright yellow, red and blue. So many memories.........., ahhh....

As a peculiarity- this car had the shifting rod in form of an umbrella handle, which was mounted in (out of) the middle of the dashboard. Very appropriate for smokers ;)

As I know the car was originally designed (and ordered from) for Foreign Legion and only then became a hit in France. Don't really know how it came to ex-Yugoslavia??? Have to dig into that some more ;)

I've only succeded to take 4 photos of that car in Spain (they are almost extingushed I guess throughout Europe - maybe not France) and I'd be very happy if you happened to have some photos of that particular car.

Thanks all in advance! :)

K1

PS (Oh, yes, the car was often used for transporting goods from the fields etc., so they developed the pick-up version also)

Attachments

• 1464-F4 in Furela (Fonfria-Pintin, 17.06.2011).jpg
    1464-F4 in Furela (Fonfria-Pintin, 17.06.2011).jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 1545-R4 in Furelos (Ventos de Naron-Melide, 20.06.2011).jpg
    1545-R4 in Furelos (Ventos de Naron-Melide, 20.06.2011).jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 1555-R4 in a village before Calle (Melide-Brea, 21.06.2011).jpg
    1555-R4 in a village before Calle (Melide-Brea, 21.06.2011).jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 1048-R4 in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos (Sahagun-Reliegos, 06.06.2011).jpg
    1048-R4 in Calzadilla de los Hermanillos (Sahagun-Reliegos, 06.06.2011).jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 45
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Because I know that the most members of this forum are from "over the ocean" I doubt that they would contribute to this thread. Nevertheless, that is really an item that had became something special over the years compared to my Camino "hook". It's Renault 4, simple 4-gear car (TL-850ccm & later GTL-1100ccm), kind of an "tin envelope with an engine" so to speak, but with the same charm as maybe VW Bug in the States. I used to have three of them in the row when I was a student, 20+ years ago: bright yellow, red and blue. So many memories.........., ahhh....

As a peculiarity- this car had the shifting rod in form of an umbrella handle, which was mounted in (out of) the middle of the dashboard. Very appropriate for smokers ;)

As I know the car was originally designed (and ordered from) for Foreign Legion and only then became a hit in France. Don't really know how it came to ex-Yugoslavia??? Have to dig into that some more ;)

I've only succeded to take 4 photos of that car in Spain (they are almost extingushed I guess throughout Europe - maybe not France) and I'd be very happy if you happened to have some photos of that particular car.

K1

PS (Oh, yes, the car was often used for transporting goods from the fields etc., so they developed the pick-up version also)

Would you believe that there is a classic car in a barn located in the same village where you have taken your 'Avatar' image from.
I have a few images of classics that I have seen on the CF but they are locked in and old computer - I am going to try putting it in the freezer - see if it will fire up again.?

K1

I never had a four but I had a six same basic design but more plush as for the four I know a little village in the sierra navada where they ,sixes and fiat pandas breed

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And mine was yellow with a folding fabric roof the kids stood on the back seats with their heads out and waving their arms in the air and before seat belts you could get six kids inside and three in the boot. They don, make them like that any more, thanks be to God

Being a 4L fan, I never miss an opportunity to walk around and take photos of models seen during my travels in Europe.

I am away from home for the winter and cannot access all of my files.

This one was taken in Coca, Camino de Madrid in the Spring of 2013.

Attachments

• IMG_0182.JPG
    IMG_0182.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
Would you believe that there is a classic car in a barn located in the same village where you have taken your 'Avatar' image from.
I have a few images of classics that I have seen on the CF but they are locked in and old computer - I am going to try putting it in the freezer - see if it will fire up again.?
Does your freezer need any help? I would be more than willing to help him. Or is that - her??? ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Being a 4L fan, I never miss an opportunity to walk around and take photos of models seen during my travels in Europe.

I am away from home for the winter and cannot access all of my files.

This one was taken in Coca, Camino de Madrid in the Spring of 2013.

Ahhhhhhh, what a beauty. Not a spot of rust that I could see from the pic. Thanks so much for that Canuck!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

And mine was yellow with a folding fabric roof the kids stood on the back seats with their heads out and waving their arms in the air and before seat belts you could get six kids inside and three in the boot. They don, make them like that any more, thanks be to God
Why thanks to anyone? Wasn't that fun??? For everyone? Hehe.....

Okay , so it took a while! This was a R4 at the end of the Burgos Airport detour - 4 or 5 years ago now and then there is this other oldie that was in a barn in Rabe de las Calzadas.

aaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Okay , so it took a while! This was a R4 at the end of the Burgos Airport detour - 4 or 5 years ago now and then there is this other oldie that was in a barn in Rabe de las Calzadas.
The second (red) car is badged as a SEAT. Did they make a Renault clone?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In the 60's SEAT = FIAT.
I'm almost sure it's Fiat (the front grill!!!).

But thanks for reviving this thread :D
I should've done this, but have to figure it out why I can't post ANY document on this forum. Maybe some defaults on my new lap top are to blame, I don't know yet...

Nevertheless... it's nice to see new posts with R4 :D

K1

Dobar dan kinkyone. Send me a pm with your email address and I will look for some pictures of your beloved "cookies tin" as we mention it here in Holland.

I had three of them. A green De Luxe ,bought it second hand ,year 1968.
A red one, basic execution ,bought new in 1971 and another red one ,second hand ,used by my wife around 1980 till 1985

These were bad cars. very rusty poor quality. The floor of mynew one was rusty after 2 years and I could see the street through a hole in the floor like a Fred Flinstone car. I worked at a Renault workshop as a mecanic -and there I decided I did not want to do that job anymore because of so many problems with that brand.
I never had any Renault anymore.

Since than I was a salesman in heavy transport trailers up to 100 tons payload.
Sold trailers to a.o Viator Ljubljana, Cestne Podetje Celje, Maribor etc etc. Better job than working on Renault cars
But like you. As I see one very rarely I allways look at it.

Lep pozdrav

I'm almost sure it's Fiat (the front grill!!!).

But thanks for reviving this thread :D
I should've done this, but have to figure it out why I can't post ANY document on this forum. Maybe some defaults on my new lap top are to blame, I don't know yet...

Nevertheless... it's nice to see new posts with R4 :D
the SEAT cars were FIAT cars , built in Catalunya nearby Barcelona.
They were slightly cheaper than Fiat. I had one for about two years, type 127 . Nice model for the time being beginning of the seventies.
Nowadays SEAT belongs to Volkswagen Group and they are great cars.
My last one ,an Altea, I drove four years, towed my campingtrailer all over Europe and no technical problems at all. But I wanted a diesel engine and chose a Japanese car last year , anewSuzuki SX4 S Cross, made in Hungary by the way , with a lot of torque.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dobar dan kinkyone. Send me a pm with your email address and I will look for some pictures of your beloved "cookies tin" as we mention it here in Holland.

I had three of them. A green De Luxe ,bought it second hand ,year 1968.
A red one, basic execution ,bought new in 1971 and another red one ,second hand ,used by my wife around 1980 till 1985

These were bad cars. very rusty poor quality. The floor of mynew one was rusty after 2 years and I could see the street through a hole in the floor like a Fred Flinstone car. I worked at a Renault workshop as a mecanic -and there I decided I did not want to do that job anymore because of so many problems with that brand.
I never had any Renault anymore.

Since than I was a salesman in heavy transport trailers up to 100 tons payload.
Sold trailers to a.o Viator Ljubljana, Cestne Podetje Celje, Maribor etc etc. Better job than working on Renault cars
But like you. As I see one very rarely I allways look at it.

Lep pozdrav
Wuuuhaaaahhhhhh, Albertinho :p
Tudi tebi lep pozdrav!

As you can see from my OP I too had 3 different R4's. Oh, many many many nice memories... But, yes, the steel was baaad. With first two of them I too had to "change" the floor. But there again, plenty of home made mechanics with welding tools, Balkans, you know ;)

K1

PS (Those manager-shit-heads over here drove every firm into bankruptcy and stole what was left... shame..., there's no more Viator, CPC or else..., sorry)

Wuuuhaaaahhhhhh, Albertinho :p
Tudi tebi lep pozdrav!

As you can see from my OP I too had 3 different R4's. Oh, many many many nice memories... But, yes, the steel was baaad. With first two of them I too had to "change" the floor. But there again, plenty of home made mechanics with welding tools, Balkans, you know ;)

K1

PS (Those manager-shit-heads over here drove every firm into bankruptcy and stole what was left... shame..., there's no more Viator, CPC or else..., sorry)
dobar dan Hvala.
I did not know all those companies disappeared . I haven't been there since 2006 when my area changed for Catalunya in Spain untill my retirement in 2009.

I will have a look into my picture collection for some pics of these "biscuit tins"
Lep pozdrav and regards from the Netherlands

Last edited:
FIAT=Fix it again Tony, I worked on a FIAT 131 in the mid 80's, talk about unreliable.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I found some car pictures @KinkyOne. Not all yet

Last I found a picture of the drawbartrailer I sold a lot of in Slovenia

Then for those who are from the other side of the big ocean. The most wanted car in the world, deliverytime 7 years ! The East German Trabant, made of a kind of plastic. Here pictured along side the former Berlin wall which devided east and west in two.

I pictured this nice Peugeot 403 car in France last summer, great cars. Far better quality than Renault which last but not least was pictured somewhere in Portugal during our caminho Portuges of 2013image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

image.jpg

When in Burgos this May I had a haircut (well it was my birthday). The hairdresser was a VW Camper nut and spent more time talking about his "babies" and showing me pictures than he did cutting my hair! It got even worse when his fellow fanatic came into the shop! After my last Camino I found myself talking to a man in a bar (unusual that?) in Madrid. He had just finished restoring a Rolls Royce Shadow II and showed me the pictures. This gave me an excuse to show him pictures of the toys I had until a few years ago (a 1971 MGB roadster and 1967 Bentley T1).

Because I know that the most members of this forum are from "over the ocean" I doubt that they would contribute to this thread.
I know that it was assembled in Australia for a few years in the early 1960s. When I looked it up on Wikipedia, it appears to have been assembled in Africa, Central and South America and Africa, as well as a large number of countries in Europe. I think you would be surprised how widespread its distribution might have been.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@Albertinho
Oh, what a beauty, that R4 :cool:

I've seen Trabant partly eaten by pigs on a farm in Croatia. Haven't tried those sausages though ;)

When in Burgos this May I had a haircut (well it was my birthday). The hairdresser was a VW Camper nut and spent more time talking about his "babies" and showing me pictures than he did cutting my hair! It got even worse when his fellow fanatic came into the shop! After my last Camino I found myself talking to a man in a bar (unusual that?) in Madrid. He had just finished restoring a Rolls Royce Shadow II and showed me the pictures. This gave me an excuse to show him pictures of the toys I had until a few years ago (a 1971 MGB roadster and 1967 Bentley T1).
Wow, Allan, you're a real show off ;)

I know that it was assembled in Australia for a few years in the early 1960s. When I looked it up on Wikipedia, it appears to have been assembled in Africa, Central and South America and Africa, as well as a large number of countries in Europe. I think you would be surprised how widespread its distribution might have been.
Very true. Especially South American countries seems to take over production (like VW Beetle) of "passed away" european cars.
Renault 4 was of course distributed and also made in northern African countries (French colonies) a lot. I even heard that special edition of R4 was used by Legion Etranger!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You talk about the Trabant ? I know very long time ago they were so,in the Netherlands and Belgium untill they were forbidden due to the safetyrgeluations .
I have seen many of them in the former German Democratic Republic and Hungary but never heard they were assembled outside the GDR.
Interseting. I was a collector of modelcars for many years from the former easter European countries and visited those countries many times, spooting their "exotics "

You talk about the Trabant ?
I had understood the thread was about the Renault 4! My comment was an observation that Renault was sold in many more places than just Europe, and there might be some of us from the rest of the world, older perhaps, who remember them.

The Trabant was never sold here in Australia to my knowledge, although there were imports of other Soviet bloc makes such as the Lada from time to time.

Last edited:
I had understood the thread was about the Renault 4! My comment was an observation that Renault was sold in many more places than just Europe, and there might be some of us from the rest of the world, older perhaps, who remember them.

The Trabant was never sold here in Australia to my knowledge, although there were imports of other Soviet bloc makes such as the Lada from time to time.
Yes you are right. The focus on the R4 was taken away by my focus on other brands.

Yes you are right. The focus on the R4 was taken away by my focus on other brands.
Shame on you, Albertinho ;)

And @dougfitz , last year in Calzada del Coto (just after Sahagun) I was very surprised to see Lada 4x4 which is sort of iconic car in rural parts of Slovenia. The owner I was talking to was very honoured with my surprise and impression and told me that he has two of those. He also added that no 4x4 car could do the job as Lada :) Very true as I know.

For R4 - I remember 1st Jan 1998 when overnight fell close to half a meter of snow and in the morning I was "drifting" here and there on the highway (no plough were there at the time) to my home with my R4 GTL with ease. Slowly but sexy ;)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Shame on you, Albertinho ;)

And @dougfitz , last year in Calzada del Coto (just after Sahagun) I was very surprised to see Lada 4x4 which is sort of iconic car in rural parts of Slovenia. The owner I was talking to was very honoured with my surprise and impression and told me that he has two of those. He also added that no 4x4 car could do the job as Lada :) Very true as I know.

For R4 - I remember 1st Jan 1998 when overnight fell close to half a meter of snow and in the morning I was "drifting" here and there on the highway (no plough were there at the time) to my home with my R4 GTL with ease. Slowly but sexy ;)
Times have gone . The Yugo, the TAM, My sales agent in Maribor was a former TAM employee. Enough of this. Back to the camino :p
Lep pozdrav Buen camino:p

Anyone car enthusiast walking the Camino Madrid should try to be in Navacerrada on the first Sunday of the month as they have a vintage/veteran car rally in the main square/street.

K1

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,012.7 KB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,010.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hehe, Albertinho, thanks :)
But only R4 is on photo no.(guess) 4!
Photos 1&2 is Renault 6, photos 3&5&7 is Citroen Dyane or 2CV(6) and I don'r really recognize the car on photo no.6. But maybe the character in front of it is you??? Am I right? ;)

Hehe, Albertinho, thanks :)
But only R4 is on photo no.(guess) 4!
Photos 1&2 is Renault 6, photos 3&5&7 is Citroen Dyane or 2CV(6) and I don'r really recognize the car on photo no.6. But maybe the character in front of it is you??? Am I right? ;)
Dobar dan @KinkyOne

After our camino Ingles last year and our caravantour through Portugal and Spain, we ended up at a campingsite around Bordeaux in France .on the sunday was a kind of country music festival which we attended and except for too many cowbows and less Indians :p there were these cars.
Indeed there was the fancy coloured R4. The Citroên model is the "2 CV. Deux cheveaux model.
The Ford Cortina with me in front of was pictured in the great Beaulieu car museum in the south of England ,nearby Southampton .We were there last october. In this model I had my driving lessons, long time ago:D
The added picture with uncle Sam was taken at the country festival.

Lep pozdrav.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
russia and camino 2014 043aa.jpg russia and camino 2014 047aa.jpg russia and camino 2014 062aa.jpg

Hey Guys - here are some more classic cars. In August last year I was approaching Tores del Rio when I heard a huge racket - I thought that a carnival or circus had visted town but it turned out to be a classic rally - enjoy these pics!

russia and camino 2014 032aa.jpg russia and camino 2014 035aa.jpg russia and camino 2014 036aa.jpg russia and camino 2014 038aa.jpg russia and camino 2014 041aa.jpg

Attachments

• russia and camino 2014 041aa.jpg
    russia and camino 2014 041aa.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 5
View attachment 15853 View attachment 15854 View attachment 15855

Hey Guys - here are some more classic cars. In August last year I was approaching Tores del Rio when I heard a huge racket - I thought that a carnival or circus had visted town but it turned out to be a classic rally - enjoy these pics!

View attachment 15846 View attachment 15847 View attachment 15848 View attachment 15849 View attachment 15850
Thanks for posting RENSHAW, but I have to comment on your last two pics (and #5, because it's the same car) or should I say on title of the photo "russia and camino 2014...". Those cars have nothing to do with Russia. For both, white and red, I can pretty sure say that they are Fiat 600.
But they can also be a Yugoslavian franchise assembled in "Crvena zastava" (Red flag) factory in Kragujevac (now in Republic of Serbia), called "fitcho" or "fitch-ko". Very popular in former YU, just imagine whole families went to the seaside (with tent and a boat in/in that little car) for their summer holidays - hilarious ;) I remember those times well. Those cars were made in 3 models: 600, 750 & 850, with 767, 795 & 843 ccm engines. The production started in 1960 and ended in 1985. In those years 923.487 cars were made. They were also used by the police, army, rescuers, driving schools and at the car races :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
A promotion started here right now. A step-counting sweater from Wolkswagen records how far you walk, and if you walk 613 km (which is the range of the latest model) before 16th June, you can win...
Past,present and future Thanks for sharing your adventures! This forum will be a touchstone someday in the future ..where you had gone and how far, from where and when A Canterbery tales sort of...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...
Seems to be a lot of people posting about stuff they lost on the Camino recently. I managed to leave a nice new-ish polo shirt somewhere drying and didn't notice for over a week. I hope someone...
Did you meet Bjørn Krohn? Died aged 48 in an albergue, I don't know where, tuesday 21th. I didn't know this until now.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back