• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Rest day during the first week?

lbpierce

Linda Breen Pierce
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
I plan to walk the Camino Frances route (from Roncevalles) May-July, 2013. I will be 65 years old when I start and I plan to walk the route in 39-40 days, plus some rest days. I am fairly fit but want to maximize my odds of finishing the route within the time I will have.

I have read on this Forum that the first week can be tough because your body is adjusting to the heavy walking workload. My question: does it make any sense to take a rest day in the middle of the first week to make it easier on your body?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
lbpierce said:
My question: does it make any sense to take a rest day in the middle of the first week to make it easier on your body?
Why shouldn't it?
On the other hand, it depends upon your physical preparedness. If you take it easy during the first 10 days of your Camino (low mileage), you should be able to walk without day stops.
I am 10 years older than you and have several times done the same stretch, which you intend to do, without rest days. The Camino Francés is not excessively demanding :)

Take a rest day when you need one. You will know! You can plan one if you want. Pamplona is nice. So is Estella. The chicken festival in Santo Domingo is in May, and fun to watch. There is a parade and a running of the bulls. I think May 10th is the main day, but I may be off a day or two.
SANTO DOMINGO DE LA CALZADA

Logrono Province - May 10--15 - "Fiestas de Santo Domingo de la Calzada".
Located 46 kms, from Logrono, on ancient "Jacobean Route"; 13th century Romanesque-Gothic Cathedral, with Santo Domingo's Sepulchre.
Celebrations begin on May 10 with "desfile de los _ carneros" (lambs' procession] - two especially fattened lambs to be sacrificed at dawn, on May 12: "almuerzo del Santo" (Saint's Feast). Procession of "ramos y Ins prioras", oxen-drawn carts festively decorated with oak boughs; procession of dancers in typical dress, musicians with particularly attractive wickerwork headress; more processions on May 11, followed by dancers and music inns, and the meats and vegetables for Saint's Feast; procession of "golden wheel" in memory of Saint's miracle. May 12 - main day of festival - Saint's Feast, solemn Mass, procession in typical pilgrims' costumes, singing of popular traditional songs - "villancicos". Also bullfights, "verbenas", fireworks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hola - I never think of them as "rest days"! For medieval pilgrims (and maybe a lot of us modern pilgrims) making the pilgrimage to Santiago was a once in a lifetime experience...therefore they would have stopped to explore the great cities of Spain and to visit their Cathedral and shrines ...Pamplona, Burgos, Leon. Enjoy your pilgrimage and explore these gifts along the Way.

Buen camino

John

I'm a big fan of them, either when I stay somewhere I want to look round or I find a really nourishing place to stay (and where I can stay a second night) or when my body demands it. If you want to in the first week, then do. You will know at the time. I've blogged about it here:

http://pilgrimpace.wordpress.com/2010/09/24/rest-days/

and there are a few comments on the post by experienced pilgrims.

Go well, at the pace that suits you, and enjoy!

Andy

We don't just take one the first week. We take one every week. We pick a town we want to see, and enjoy having the time to see local museums, eat a good lunch etc. They are some of the best days of the trip. Good for the aches and fatigue too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have never taken complete rest days, as such. I prefer to move forward and walk a little every day but as Fraluchi says, if you plan a short day - like Viana to Logroño which is only 9km - you will practically have a whole day free in Logroño. In May/June the sunsets well after 10pm so you have long days.
I would suggest playing it by ear. If you are really pooped after 5 days, have a short day/rest day. You might find you don't need to do it again for over a week. Let your body and the Camino dictate. (You have chosen a lovely time to walk the Camino!)

I too am pushing 65 and have walked the Camino three times in the last three years. You have given yourself plenty of time to walk so don't worry about the kilometers. Do remember that you will be passing through some beautiful scenery - mountains and Meseta slow and enjoy the view, you will pass through and lodge in beautiful villages and towns stop a bit early or leave later in order to explore those places which strike your fancy, there is more medieval art and architecture to be seen than you can imagine so look for it, you will be meeting wonderful people and enjoying life both spiritually and materially along the whole way. Walk slowly, allow the Camino to influence you, stop to see anything which looks interesting, beautiful, or incomprehensible, if the church will be open only in another hour wait for it, stop and drink coffee or beer or wine and talk with other pilgrims or the wonderful Spanish people, visit museums, monasteries, and vineyards, and yes, if your body says rest well rest. And finally, if you can set out a bit earlier, say two weeks, you will enjoy one of the most wonderful springtime explosions of wildflowers to be imagined aa well as benefiting from wonderfully cool weatherto walk. Buen Camino!

I would not "pre-plan" a rest day. You have plenty of time to complete the Camino in a very easy manner with rest days if you want them. I find that the less structured the plans...the more relaxed things go.
One of the wonderfull things about the Camino is to get away from the pressure of having to pre- plan everything and meet schedules.
Don't over plan...just let it happen.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, just take rest days if and when needed. On my first Camino I stayed for a day in Estella to get over blisters. It's one of those Spanish towns with a nice plaza where you can sit with a beer and watch people and life. I loved it! Buen Camino!

Thank you all for your supportive responses. I think the ole "playing it by ear" is a terrific mantra for this journey. I know I will take an extra day in Burgos and Leon because of all those cities have to offer. And then there is time for me to enjoy about three more non-hiking days and still make my flight home, and I will let my body, heart and soul decide when those days might happen.

Pamplona is a a great place to stop for a day off (rest day is not really the right word because you end up spending the day on your feet wandering around anyway!). It's a beautiful city and a great chance to try pinxos y vino without having to be in bed by 10pm.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola Linda,
The benefit of having a year to plan your Camino is being able to learn enough about the Way, its cities, museums, historical sites, monasteries, etc. There is so much to see that the only way to take advantage of them is to identify that which is important to you and just be aware of it.

As you begin to walk, pay attention to your body. When you need some extra rest, look at your list and see what is close; then go for it. Don't be afraid to take a taxi or bus to get to your chosen location of interest.

If you are having a such a grand time on your pilgrimage seeing what Spain and the Camino have to offer, don't be afraid of making up some time by taking a bus far enough to catch up. However, you do have ample time already in your schedule.

A pilgrimage is a personal journey. There are not judges evaluating your daily progress or activity. The only thing to remember is to walk the last 100 km, getting stamped twice daily, if you want a Compostela at the end.

Enjoy yourself and the more you are prepared the more you will find joy on your Way. Notice I did not say plan, but to be prepared. The Way has a funny way of changing our plans; she gives to us what we need when we need it. If you plan your days too stringently you will become frustrated because it will not go as you have it planned. Be prepared and then remain flexible and ready to adjust to what is offered you.

Enjoy a wonderful Camino,

Michael, I love your idea of preparation vs. planning. And I'm really getting excited about exploring some of the great towns on this route. Since I have a year to research all the beautiful places to explore, I just may have to add some days to my journey to take advantage of them :). Frances, thanks for the recommendation to stay in Pamplona; I think I will want to do that. I love the idea of not planning more than one day ahead and even then, be ready to change plans.

You cannot go wrong by taking a day off in Pamplona , and who knows? maybe Estella as well - take it easy - 40 days sounds about right - start slow :D You will be suprised how many people are your age or older.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back