A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

River Route or Aqueduct to Rates from Vila Do Conde

2020 Camino Guides

Socalgal

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 17
Hi Pilgrims, we are going to take the coastal route to Vila Do Conde then go inland to Rates. Brierley's book says not to take the aqueduct route but our friends did it last year and said it was easy to navigate. My question to you all is how much road walking is involved in either route? If you have any intelligence on this subject please let me know! Thanks

el guapo 123

El guapo
Camino(s) past & future
2014 2016 2018
Hi Pilgrims, we are going to take the coastal route to Vila Do Conde then go inland to Rates. Brierley's book says not to take the aqueduct route but our friends did it last year and said it was easy to navigate. My question to you all is how much road walking is involved in either route? If you have any intelligence on this subject please let me know! Thanks
Hi we took the aquaduct route or tried to and got hopelessly lost. Had to be rescued by a Good Samaritan who took us by car to Rates. Next time we take the coastal route. But it was memorable and either decision will work out in the best Camino tradition!!

onwayhome

Camino(s) past & future
Frances Ponferrada-Santiago,(c1986)
Frances SJPP-Santiago (2011)
Portuguese Porto- Finisterre (2016)
St Michaels Way (2016)
The aqueduct route is quite possible, though good directions (see brierley) are essential. The route is completely unmarked, no signs or arrows and not that many pilgrims to follow . There's a fair amount of tarmac, I don't remember it being on busy roads once beyond VdoC.

mishlove

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugués...April/May (2014)
Camino Ingles..........Sept. (2015)
Did Vila do Conde to Rates a number of years ago and it was mostly road. Just asked as many people on the way, the way to Rates and got there.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 366 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock