• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Routes from Scotland ?

alan.jamieson

Hi I'm Alan and I have just tasted the Camino in France, I thought by chance , but I met people and experienced feelings which took me by surprise. I feel I have a journey to do before it is to late to become a whole person again. I would like to walk from were I live in Scotland to the ferry from here to Zeebruge in Belgium. Any advice on a good route from Belgium down across France ?
Thanks to all.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmmmm...Alan meet Gareth...Gareth...meet Alan... :D LOL....there are a few sarcastic folk out here (oh wait...no that would just be me!) Seriously, check out Gareth Thomas blog..he started in Worchester...and is doing it all on foot to Santiago...someone who while currently on the road, has left some excellent notes in the forum and a fantastic blog, with the best pictures and recommendations! Welcome, enjoy, write!!
(Here let me see if I can add his link... http://whizz-kidz-pilgrim.blogspot.com there that should work when actually post this!)

We leave tomorrow evening...I'm so excited I could puke! I have my pack, fully loaded, sitting next to me in my cubicle...to be weighed again in our shipping dept. at work!! What a sight...walking in here in heels, skirt & jacket...the usual female office stuff, and a full pack over my shoulder!! For once they get to see, the REAL me!!

Alan, wishing you all the best in your planning! Besides Gareth there are a lot of really experienced people here who will share whatever they have to answer and help you!

Buen Camino
Karin
http://ksam-caminoportuguese.blogspot.com

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Alan

I think our friend Dael from Fife has also done this route - the ferry is from Rosyth to Belgium I think? - anyway have a search through his postings. If you want Ill contact him to see if he has any further info and try and put you two intouch with each other.

Slainte

John

Hi all,
I am up to my eyes in D.I.Y at the moment. I will dig out my journal and pop off a P.M. tomorrow re our cycling route from St. Andrews tae Paris and onward.
Dael

Thanks for all the replies ! That looks like tonights research ready to start, I feel more positive already, great to feel your not alone, even if being a pilgrim is , I assume , a minority quirk these days.

Alan

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Alan and welcome to the Forum :)
What you are aiming for is perfectly feaseable. In 2005 I set out from home, Tynemouth, got the ferry to Amsterdam and walked south to Le Puy to pick up the GR65. I think Zeebruge is further west than Amsterdam so Le Puy wouldn't suit, but the Vezelay route is now marked all the way. Difficulty is that there are few gites d'etapes as you go through Belgium and northern France and not a lot on the Vezelay route. I didn't take a tent and so tended to walk on fairly major routes so as to hit the towns that appeared big enough to have a B+B - didn't always get it right.
Buen Camino,

Brendan

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks for the information Peter, I hadn't heard that, that's a blow I was hoping to go next spring,well I shall just have to walk down to Newcastle or Hull instead if no one takes over the route.
Alan

Hi Alan

I've just picked up on your question. Last year we cycled through Belguim and Northern France to Reims (we're going from there to Vezelay later this year). We used canal and river towpaths all the way from Bruges through Gent, Tournai, Mons, Charleroi, to Namur where we turned south along the Meuse. Useful info at http://www.gamber.net/cyclebel/

We also had brilliant guides to the RAVeL network which also is based on the waterways - I emailed the Wallonia tourist office and they sent them to me free. See http://met.wallonie.be/opencms/opencms/fr/ravel/

From Namur we also had a French GR 654route guide which will take us all the way to Vezelay. As its a walking route we haven't been following it too closely, but it does have a useful list of accomodation including some specifically for pilgrims (eg Abbeye de Leffe where the brothers no longer make the lager but they still have plenty to offer pilgrims -a cup of tea was less easy to supply!)Also detailed maps. I think the following is the book we have although the cover is different
http://www.stanfords.co.uk/stock/gr654- ... ay-142563/

I think for walking you would still find the 'chemins de halage' good. (We learnt a lot of french canal terms!) There are villages and small towns along them. One of our best nights was in a gite a la ferme in a small town, Pont a Celles. We arrived too late on a Saturday afternoon for the tourist information in the town hall to be open, but once we were brave enough to approach the locals sitting outside the bar and ask in school french for their help, we had lots of help to find somewhere for the night.

Do get in touch if you want further information or discussion. We really enjoyed our journey and can't wait to get back on the road this September. We crossed Harwich - Hook because we live in East Anglia, having cycled to Harwich on a previous weekend.

best wishes

Bridget and Peter

Hi Bridget & Peter

Thanks for the information, the canal tow paths sound a great idea, I live right beside the canal here in Linlithgow, it would be home from home !
Another evening checking out the websites !

thanks

Alan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
alan.jamieson said:
that's a blow I was hoping to go next spring,well I shall just have to walk down to Newcastle or Hull instead if no one takes over the route

NorfolkLine have just announced they're taking over the route next spring, 3 sailings a week.
http://www.aferry.to/news/viewpost.asp? ... 34&Lang=UK
You'll have to hope it's not like their Dover-Dunkirk route, as there's no foot-passengers on that.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back