• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ryanair Baggage Requirements

aussieannie

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2008) Le Puy to SJPP (2010) Camino Primitivo (2010)
VLP (2013) Norte (2016/17)
I have just been trying to book a Ryanair fare from Santiago and I have to choose a luggage option. I was wanting to put my 37 litre backpack in the overhead lockers, but there is a size restriction of 55x40x20. Unfortunately there also seems to be a restriction to checked baggage size (also 55x40x20 with a weight of 10kg) My backpack dimension is 70 H 33 W 30 D, so does that mean I would not be able to check my backpack? Has anyone else had difficulties with luggage restrictions on Ryanair? I

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've flown Ryanair several times and my backpack always met the requirements and fit in that metal frame thing at the airport. I've never carried a pack that weighed 10 kgs or more. Always around 7 kg. Maybe you can throw out some stuff to lighten it.

My backpack dimension is 70 H 33 W 30 D, so does that mean I would not be able to check my backpack? Has anyone else had difficulties with luggage restrictions on Ryanair? I

I think you may have misunderstood the Ryanair baggage rules. There are several categories of baggage and charges. It is possible to have larger bags than your pack as hold luggage but there is a higher fee for them.

Screenshot_2023-03-06-00-47-33-877.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just been trying to book a Ryanair fare from Santiago and I have to choose a luggage option. I was wanting to put my 37 litre backpack in the overhead lockers, but there is a size restriction of 55x40x20. Unfortunately there also seems to be a restriction to checked baggage size (also 55x40x20 with a weight of 10kg) My backpack dimension is 70 H 33 W 30 D, so does that mean I would not be able to check my backpack? Has anyone else had difficulties with luggage restrictions on Ryanair? I

Are you sure on these figures.
The 20kg checked-in bag option allows dimensions of 81cms (height), 119cms (width) and 119cms (depth)
Which is huge! https://help.ryanair.com/hc/en-us/articles/360017825598-20kg-Check-in-Bag

We posted at the same time @Bradypus ! :rolleyes:

I think you may have misunderstood the Ryanair baggage rules. There are several categories of baggage and charges. It is possible to have larger bags than your pack as hold luggage but there is a higher fee for them.

View attachment 142629
Thanks Bradypus! Do you think that a 37litre backpack would fit in the overhead lockers?

I've flown Ryanair several times and my backpack always met the requirements and fit in that metal frame thing at the airport. I've never carried a pack that weighed 10 kgs or more. Always around 7 kg. Maybe you can throw out some stuff to lighten it.
Thanks RJM. I was hoping to put my 37 litre pack (which will weigh about 7kg) in the overhead locker. I assume that is what you were able to do!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks Bradypus! Do you think that a 37litre backpack would fit in the overhead lockers?
I have put a 35 litre pack in the overhead lockers on Ryanair flights on several occasions. But the dimensions you gave in your first post sound much bigger than that. If it is a soft bag which is not full and can be bent into shape to fit the sizing crate then it should be ok.

Thanks RJM. I was hoping to put my 37 litre pack (which will weigh about 7kg) in the overhead locker. I assume that is what you were able to do!
Yes, I carried on my backpack. I always get rid of everything I don't need anymore before I fly home and I pull all the straps in tight to make the pack as small as possible. I've never had a problem putting it in the overhead. In fact I see people carrying on bags way bigger than my backpack.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My backpack dimension is 70 H 33 W 30 D
Are those the dimensions given by the back pack manufacturer? If so, they would indicate a fully-packed pack, including the top pouch. What matters is the measurements of your packed backpack.

Depending on the structure of the frame and the pouches, you might be able to get it under the size limit. Wear an extra layer of clothing, or include some things in the second "personal" bag that you might be allowed to carry.

Yes, I carried on my backpack. I always get rid of everything I don't need anymore before I fly home and I pull all the straps in tight to make the pack as small as possible. I've never had a problem putting it in the overhead. In fact I see people carrying on bags way bigger than my backpack.
Thanks RJM -I think I’ll risk it- fingers crossed!

Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

View attachment 142629
Are those the dimensions given by the back pack manufacturer? If so, they would indicate a fully-packed pack, including the top pouch. What matters is the measurements of your packed backpack.

Depending on the structure of the frame and the pouches, you might be able to get it under the size limit. Wear an extra layer of clothing, or include some things in the second "personal" bag that you might be allowed to carry.
Thanks C clearly - - that makes sense

My husband’s backpack does not meet the dimensions Ryanair specifies for cabin luggage although it does weigh less than 10kg. It just has to be put through in the ordinary checked luggage category. Anyone turning up at the boarding gate with baggage that doesn’t meet the measurements of what they have paid for risks being charged a punitive rate to check it in.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
In my experience with Ryanair, you are much more likely to get away with bending the rules with a backpack than with a wheelie bag. But yes, as @Portach said, you are taking a risk if you only pay for non-priority and attempt to carry anything larger than a student book bag.
Thank you!

aussieannie, I agree with this. My usual 44L Osprey Talon has a hard frame height of 55cm. My 49L Six Moons which came back last Nov in the cabin on Ryanair has a hard frame height of 58cm. If they were fully packed they'd be over the size limit, but by displacing what I would normally walk with in the top carrier/pocket section, and putting it into the separate allowed smaller bag, everything is fine. If all else fails you put on a few more layers and sweat it out!

Ryanair-Free-Luggage-Policy.jpgblogRyanair_v2-01-01.jpg
I've always paid extra and flew priority and never had a problem with my backpack (32 and 48 liter size) being allowed onboard and I recall them even saying if I wanted to check it on in the hold I could do so for free.

I've never had a problem on Ryanair travelling free of charge i with a backpack loaded, fairly minimally, for the camino 8n the cabin.

One trick I use is a waist pack ( I refuse to use the American nomenclature, shocking as it is to European ears). Ryanair considers it to be part of the passenger, not baggage, and you can stuff a fair amount of gear in there. That and wearing all your clothes should see you right. Also, board last when the gate staff just want to get the plane loaded and go have a coffee, and look old and doddery. Works for me 👹

It really isn't a question of whether you bag will fit in the lockers. It is whether they will allow you to take it on board.
In terms of checked luggage, I don't think size makes a difference only weight. If you bag weighs less than 10kg you should have no trouble checking it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've never had a problem on Ryanair travelling free of charge i with a backpack loaded, fairly minimally, for the camino 8n the cabin.

One trick I use is a waist pack ( I refuse to use the American nomenclature, shocking as it is to European ears). Ryanair considers it to be part of the passenger, not baggage, and you can stuff a fair amount of gear in there. That and wearing all your clothes should see you right. Also, board last when the gate staff just want to get the plane loaded and go have a coffee, and look old and doddery. Works for me 👹
I find keeping the pack on your back at the gate helps too.

A 37 litre pack of normal shape should fit easily. The problem might be if the pack is long and narrow (ie alpine style) and does not fit in the sizing frame at the gate. As others have pointed out Ryanair and other low-cost airlines can be very pedantic about dimensions.

A 37 litre pack of normal shape should fit easily. The problem might be if the pack is long and narrow (ie alpine style) and does not fit in the sizing frame at the gate. As others have pointed out Ryanair and other low-cost airlines can be very pedantic about dimensions.
To be clear, the cheapest ticket includes only a bag that must fit under the seat in front of you, not in the overhead locker.

I will fly to Spain on Easyjet and back from Santiago this year either on Easyjet or Ryanair to UK.

On both i will book priority and extra legroom seats which give you the overhead use with a large bag the 55 cm or 56cm depending on which airline and smaller under seat bag.

The under seat bag i use is a Sea to summit ultra sil daypack ; which when empty weighs 70grms and 18-liter capacity day pack weighs just 1.1-ounces and compresses to the size of an egg when not in use!

That's the one on my back on boarding!! I will carry the G4-20 synched down.

I also wear a lightweight Rab fleece with really large side pockets; i carried my liquids and electricals in it for going through security and the flight plus anything else in my shorts or on my person !(just took it off and put on conveyer as is;meant not having to loosen pack to remove stuff )

My new pack is a Gossamer Gear G4-20 63.5cm x 28cm x 24cm 42ltr pack it is squishy;has a removable seat pad to give it form it is super comfy with a 5kg load.
Because it is squishy it goes down to below 55 when synched !

I f your pack is squishable (a technical term ha!ha!) you can spread the load between the two packs and your clothing which greatly helps meeting their very generous dimensions (sarcasm just in case i had you fooled)

I think if your pack has a frame you might be stuffed!!!

Worked for me.
Best of luck
Woody

My backpack dimension is 70 H 33 W 30 D, so does that mean I would not be able to check my backpack?
I am going to repeat the advice to check how small you can make this pack, particularly whether you can reduce its height. As it stands, the dimensions suggest that it will need a whopping 70 li of space, which seems a far cry from the 37 litres you think it can carry.

To be clear, the cheapest ticket includes only a bag that must fit under the seat in front of you, not in the overhead locker.
View attachment 142649View attachment 142650
I've always paid extra and flew priority and never had a problem with my backpack (32 and 48 liter size) being allowed onboard and I recall them even saying if I wanted to check it on in the hold I could do so for free.
Look at the attachments. Also you can research it all on ryanair's website.

Thanks Gerard! The old & doddery should work for me!

I ”risked” it last year. Managed to get my 38l pack onboard twice. If they took it from me at least I would know it’s in the hold.
It is a risk as if they take it off you you are liable for higher baggage fees for the hold than if you had booked at the time of booking your ticket. Saying that, I'm going to try squishing mine into the overhead locker, can't wait!

If my experience with Ryanair is anything to go by, the issue is not whether a backpack can be squished into the overhead locker. The issue is whether it can be squished into that metal frame thing at the airport, as others have already pointed out. Ryanair and also easyJet have been the most rigorous, in my experience, to enforce their restrictions on dimensions. Their staff makes you put your hand luggage into the sizing crate one by one - or is this no longer the case?

When flying with other airlines, for example on cheap Lufthansa and Iberia tickets, I was sometimes amazed when standing in line at the gate to see the huge suitcases that other passengers were bringing on board as hand luggage without being challenged.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Their staff makes you put your hand luggage into the sizing crate one by one - or is this no longer the case?
In my experience the staff only insist that you put your bag in the sizing crate if they think it is over the limit. It would take too long to make everyone show their bag fits when it is obviously small enough. They really want to speed up the boarding process as much as possible.

Their staff makes you put your hand luggage into the sizing crate one by one - or is this no longer the case?
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I have travelled with a 30l backpack and a small handbag without paying for baggage. I have never been asked to put my backpack into the sizer, but they seem to be much stricter with actual cases. Once, on a very busy flight, I was told to put my handbag inside the backpack.

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. I have travelled with a 30l backpack and a small handbag without paying for baggage. I have never been asked to put my backpack into the sizer, but they seem to be much stricter with actual cases. Once, on a very busy flight, I was told to put my handbag inside the backpack.
Very helpful thread, thank you. Flying option needed from London if trains in France halted for industrial action Re strike. Happily pack measures 50 cm.

Not sure about Ryan air but easy jet have a tool on their app called a cabin bag sizer that allows you to measure your pack to find out if it complies with the overhead baggage dimensions-never used it tho as travel with my walking poles so the pack has to go in the hold

‘Wear an extra layer of clothing’ reminds me of the times I’ve worn my hiking boots, put on several extra layers of clothing and carried small but heavy items in my jacket pockets on my flight home - all to get my checked luggage under 20kg and not have to pay excess luggage fees!

Just to clarify, you didnt add the 10kg cabin bag, just used the bag under seat option? I'm travelling g light, 5kg, and bag almost the dimensions for handbaggage.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m traveling right now via RyanAir and just using the free underseat bag option. It is a VERY small bag and they have been enforcing the rules, sending folks to pay an extra fee when their bag is too big eother at check-in or while boarding. Fortunately, my lightly packed 26L osprey pack cinches down pretty well and fits in the measuring box.

🤣 This thread looks so familiar. Is there a tag for how to beat the rules we don't like? Getting there and back with our stuff is all part of the journey. Annie just vented about people who thought more of their self than others and didn't follow basic guidelines.

We all know where it leads. Yes, you may skirt the system on occasion. Other times you are the one delaying the flight while the bag that you knew was too big for carry-on is tagged and checked at the gate... if you even get it past security.

Please consider Annie's post. Have a bit of kindness for fellow travelers and stop guessing. Just follow the rules! I realize there are questions to clarify ambiguous guidelines, but don't press your luck with the obvious. It's not cute. It's annoying to everyone delayed when the plan doesn't work.

This thread looks so familiar. Is there a tag for how to beat the rules we don't like? Getting there and back with our stuff is all part of the journey. Annie just vented about people who thought more of their self than others and didn't follow basic guidelines.

We all know where it leads. Yes, you may skirt the system on occasion. Other times you are the one delaying the flight while the bag that you knew was too big for carry-on is tagged and checked at the gate... if you even get it past security.

Please consider Annie's post. Have a bit of kindness for fellow travelers and stop guessing. Just follow the rules! I realize there are questions to clarify ambiguous guidelines, but don't press your luck with the obvious. It's not cute. It's annoying to everyone delayed when the plan doesn't work.
Gosh, this seems like a very harsh and unfair criticism of thread participants, given that most of us are trying to understand, clarify, and explain how to follow the rules.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is there a tag for how to beat the rules we don't like? Getting there and back with our stuff is all part of the journey. Annie just vented about people who thought more of their self than others and didn't follow basic guidelines.
Just one question, @Tigger: Did you ever fly with Ryanair? ;)

I’ve read through the thread and I can’t see that it is about skirting the system or delaying the flight or not getting through security. It is about understanding Ryanair’s rules about baggage dimension. Ryanair is easily the most famous budget airline in Europe and their rules and fee structures are legendary. I had a look at their website. They still have a hefty fee for not checking in before arrival at the airport and/or not being able to check in electronically and/or print out your boarding pass (see below). For those not familiar with the current €-£-$ exchange rates: €55 equals $60 - and it’s not really “optional” when you learn about it only after you arrived at the airport and discover that your only option is checking in at the Ryanair desk to get your boarding card.

Ryanair fees.jpg

Last edited:
not only these low costs airliners. Also this arrogant airliner “Royal “Dutch KLM refused my small case that goes with me inside the cabin since many years and is made for that use but it had to go on hold as the very unpleasant and arrogant groundstwardes told me off.
Result was that one criminal employee from the luggagehandling department at amsterdam airport opened my case and robbed my valuables .
Arriving in Porto I discovered this. On the way back home in Porto no problem to get the same case on board. Next year when I will go to Santiago to do volunteering work there, I fly from Belgium or the German airport Weeze Never again from amsterdam nor KLM .

Last edited:
Rucksacks are very flexible. I've not yet had an issue "stuffing" mine into the metal measuring thingy on the rare occasion that I have been asked. (if it goes in, it comes on board with you)

And yes, I'm aware that not all large rucksacks can magically comply :)

Rucksacks are very flexible. I've not yet had an issue "stuffing" mine into the metal measuring thingy on the rare occasion that I have been asked. (if it goes in, it comes on board with you)

And yes, I'm aware that not all large rucksacks can magically comply :)
I have two small rucksacks which both claim to be 35L. One is made entirely of soft pliable nylon and can be squashed quite easily into all sorts of shapes. The other has a built-in rigid backplate which cannot be bent much without risking damage. It is just a few cm too long to fit the Ryanair sizing crate.

I’m traveling right now via RyanAir and just using the free underseat bag option. It is a VERY small bag and they have been enforcing the rules, sending folks to pay an extra fee when their bag is too big eother at check-in or while boarding. Fortunately, my lightly packed 26L osprey pack cinches down pretty well and fits in the measuring box.
Hoping to do same...

I’ve read through the thread and I can’t see that it is about skirting the system or delaying the flight or not getting through security. It is about understanding Ryanair’s rules about baggage dimension. Ryanair is easily the most famous budget airline in Europe and their rules and fee structures are legendary. I had a look at their website. They still have a hefty fee for not checking in before arrival at the airport and/or not being able to check in electronically and/or print out your boarding pass (see below). For those not familiar with the current €-£-$ exchange rates: €55 equals $60 - and it’s not really “optional” when you learn about it only after you arrived at the airport and discover that your only option is checking in at the Ryanair desk to get your boarding card.

View attachment 144707
Sure, but surely it’s incumbent on the customer to understand the rules of the ‘product’ they are buying, ie. Checking in and acquiring a boarding card yourself as opposed to a check in agent.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
OP is interested in booking a flight with Ryanair. It appears Ryanair offers:

a) flight $ with carry-on smaller than box size 1, but OP pack is larger than box size 1.

b) flight $$ with small check bag size, but OP pack is larger than small check bag.

As is usually the case, two very kind participants took the time to review the rules on Ryanair and proposed option c in posts #3 & #4.

c) flight $$$ with large check bag size and OP bag is within the size of large check bag.

So, it appears if OP would like to use Ryanair, option c is the answer.

But it continues... Will the bag fit in the overhead? 🧐 Maybe, Maybe not. Ryanair does not offer the traveler this option. Should we discuss how to make this happen?

When one goes to Decathlon and purchases €25 in supplies do they expect to depart with more than they bought? When one goes to the grocery and chicken is on sale do they expect beef at the chicken sale price? So why is buying a plane ticket any different?

On my last trip to the UK I considered Ryanair to Dublin as they had a flight for €1! However, as has been stated above, after adding in the cost of selecting my seat and printing a boarding pass, luggage, terminal fees and taxes... it was no longer such a bargain for me. Spirit Airlines is similar in the states charging for everything including water in flight.

That said, it's a product offered at a fair price that works for many people. These airlines are up front about the offer. Don't be disappointed in the service because the provider doesn't deliver more than was offered. Digression about the probability of a lost bag, strategies to carry your bag to the aircraft and insure it is onboard only seem to feed fear.

I understand the concern and desire to have one's pack as a carry-on. on the other hand these are some things I have seen people bring along with the full size carry-on item that they assume don't count:

*women with very large designer purses
*platinum members with small tower CPUs taking multiple bins
*children sitting on parents lap, yet child has little roller bag of toys
*diaper bags
*knitting projects
*winter coats
* an urn ⚱️
all stuffed in the upper bin along with the roller board.

Where does it end? I don't want to pay more than anyone else. However, I try to consider how I would feel if were in business. The margin is small. It's an agreement. Each person should sign up for what they need.

Sure, but surely it’s incumbent on the customer to understand the rules of the ‘product’ they are buying, ie. Checking in and acquiring a boarding card yourself as opposed to a check in agent.
I was merely pointing out the idiocyncracies of Ryanair to the potentially uninitiated 😉.

Speaking only of flying to and from Camino walking in France and Spain: Ryanair (and EasyJet) were the only airlines that had me put my backpack into a metal frame (it passed) and asked me to store the small shoulder bag away that I, a woman who does not keep keys and money in a trouser pocket, usually carry when flying - you need coins and banknotes to buy food and drink on Ryanair flights. All this was done while waiting in a long queue long before boarding even started so nobody was held up.

Iberia once asked or ordered me to hand over my backpack (not a size issue), also while waiting in line for the gate to open; this happens when the airplane is smaller than the one initially planned or for similar reasons - upon arrival you pick up your luggage on the airfield next to the airplane’s stairs. This happened to me and others on numerous non-Camino related short distance flights. Here is a tip: it is useful to think quickly and get out stuff like reading glasses, light coat, purse or similar stuff that you want to have with you during the flight. I do try to be helpful when I share experience and knowledge. 🥹

Last edited:
I was merely pointing out the idiocyncracies of Ryanair to the potentially uninitiated 😉.

Speaking only of flying to and from Camino walking in France and Spain: Ryanair (and EasyJet) were the only airlines that had me put my backpack into a metal frame (it passed) and asked me to store the small shoulder bag away that I, a woman who does not keep keys and money in a trouser pocket, usually carry when flying - you need coins and banknotes to buy food and drink on Ryanair flights. All this was done while waiting in a long queue long before boarding even started so nobody was held up.

Iberia once asked or ordered me to hand over my backpack (not a size issue), also while waiting in line; this happens when the airplane is smaller than the one initially planned or for similar reasons - upon arrival you pick up your luggage on the airfield next to the airplane’s stairs. This happened to me and others on numerous short distance flights. Here is a tip: it is useful to think quickly and get out stuff like reading glasses, light coat, purse or similar stuff that you want to have with you during the flight. I do try to be helpful when I share experience and knowledge. 🥹
Sure…. Btw I think Ryanair don’t take cash onboard….but anyway…

IB is one of the increasing number of airlines that sells ‘hand baggage only’ fares’ and these were launched only a few years back. Of course it has lead to the issue of not enough overhead locker space on many flights, and as you say a request for folks to check in their bags at the gate.

I always find your posts knowledgable, factual, neutral, and sourced from the proper source not a tabloid newspaper so thank you for your continued ‘excellence’!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I think Ryanair don’t take cash onboard
Quite possible. Things are changing … cashless only then, is it? While I’d be ready for it, I’d still want to have my purse with me. I know that Ryanair makes many travellers happy. These days, I tend to book other airlines when there is an option, in particular since Iberia, even Lufthansa, as well as other carriers offer now low-cost hand-luggage only tickets.

Quite possible. Things are changing … cashless only then, is it? While I’d be ready for it, I’d still want to have my purse with me. I know that Ryanair makes many travellers happy. These days, I tend to book other airlines when there is an option, in particular since Iberia, even Lufthansa, as well as other carriers offer now low-cost hand-luggage only tickets.
I use them quite a lot as they have such as incredible network! It sometimes seems there is no route they don’t fly in EU. Did a search this morning from Sofia to ‘everywhere’ on Skyscanner as I needed a flight back into Germany or Italy, and there they were will so many cheap multiple options!

Yet to have a bad experience and have used them maybe 30-40 times. Of course others will have their own stories good and bad!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes I always keep medication in a tiny bag should my hand baggage be taken at the gate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hope you don’t mind me asking. why wouldn’t you use a card?
I don't mind you asking at all. I just prefer to pay cash. In some cases I may not have funds in my Euro bank account and I try to avoid card transactions that involve currency conversion. But mostly I object to not being able to pay cash and I know that the only way to influence that decision is buy exercising my right not to buy things with a method I prefer not to use. If Ryanair find they don't make as much money not taking cash, they might change their mind (not that I think that's likely to happen!). They do rely more heavily than other airlines on inflight purchases, I think.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't mind you asking at all. I just prefer to pay cash. In some cases I may not have funds in my Euro bank account and I try to avoid card transactions that involve currency conversion. But mostly I object to not being able to pay cash and I know that the only way to influence that decision is buy exercising my right not to buy things with a method I prefer not to use. If Ryanair find they don't make as much money not taking cash, they might change their mind (not that I think that's likely to happen!). They do rely more heavily than other airlines on inflight purchases, I think.
Thank you for responding. I don’t know if they rely more heavily on inflight sales than other airlines but it feels that they were one of the pioneers (alongside Easyjet) of selling airline fares as ‘modular’.., seats, boarding, food, etc, as separate, and it seems key to all airlines nowadays.

From recollection when I started travelling within USA in late 80s, USA airlines never provided free food in coach? And it felt quite weird to Europeans! I remember travelling Southwest aot around the west coast area and it felt ‘different’. Back in a Europe you would even get a meal on a tray free on even a one hour flight. In fact the free hot breakfast from LHR to Belfast on British Midland was legendary! Of course now even the traditional carriers in Europe charge for food, which gives them revenue and cost benefits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all charge for food. Aegean/Olympic and Bulgarian Airlines still just give you something, but it's usually just a biscuit and coffee on short flights. The cheaper your flights are the more reliant you are on extras to make a profit. I remember when Easyjet first started flying from Liverpool they gave away free flights to the firts 100 customers (or something) so I went to Barcelona for nothing.

I used to fly quite regularly between Britain and Ireland and it's quite noticeable that the Ryanair staff spend the whole 30-40 min flight trying to sell things.

Indeed and a few more beside. Sadly gone age the days where you could have a few glasses of free vino on a short flight gratis.

The ‘low cost’ airlines can offer such competitive fares as they are, well… low cost to operate (albeit the term tends to be used to signify the actual fares).

They have a much smaller costs base than bigger traditional airlines, as they are far simpler and far less complex to run. This helps them also manage disruption in many cases more effectively.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I’d rather pay 13€ for a flight from Spain to London (as I recently did) then pay 31€ for the same flight with a “free drink”. These low-cost airlines charge you for what you need, which is great when you don’t need much! If you require food, drink, two checked bags, and overhead carry-on, your “low price” ticket will suddenly be the same price as a regular airlines ticket. Sounds fair to me

These low-cost airlines charge you for what you need, which is great when you don’t need much!
I agree. If I was travelling next week I could get from Stansted to Santiago for £20. Considerably less than the cost of a coach ticket from home to the airport!

I agree. If I was travelling next week I could get from Stansted to Santiago for £20. Considerably less than the cost of a coach ticket from home to the airport!
Yes, the question I'm raising is whether that €20 (sorry my computer doesn't have a pound sign!) actually covers the cost of the flight?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, the question I'm raising is whether that €20 (sorry my computer doesn't have a pound sign!) actually covers the cost of the flight?
I think that is probably a very complicated question to answer. I suspect not in this particular case but one seat on one flight doesn't really paint much of the big picture. Would it be better to fly half-full in quiet seasons or sell remaining seats below cost to offset possible losses? Ryanair and other companies will have to take a very long view. The point I was trying to make is that at the very low fares which are often available it is unreasonable to complain about baggage limits or the need for online check-in. A realistic balance between cost and convenience.

I think that is probably a very complicated question to answer. I suspect not in this particular case but one seat on one flight doesn't really paint much of the big picture. Would it be better to fly half-full in quiet seasons or sell remaining seats below cost to offset possible losses? Ryanair and other companies will have to take a very long view. The point I was trying to make is that at the very low fares which are often available it is unreasonable to complain about baggage limits or the need for online check-in. A realistic balance between cost and convenience.
I completely agree about complaining!

I was really saying that companies like Ryanair factor in a certain amount of onboard sales per passenger into their calculations.

’d rather pay 13€ for a flight from Spain to London (as I recently did) then pay 31€ for the same flight with a “free drink”. These low-cost airlines charge you for what you need, which is great when you don’t need much! If you require food, drink, two checked bags, and overhead carry-on, your “low price” ticket will suddenly be the same price as a regular airlines ticket. Sounds fair to me
Hi Vacajoe!
I agree with you that budget airlines hook you in with very low base prices and then charge for everything else. Sometimes they are the only option!
My base price from Santiago to Stansted was £9 but because of carry on,two cabin bags and extra leg room i paid £46!
I want my pack with me hence i am willing to pay the price to allow that to happen.
But on my day of departure Ryanair was only one available (most convenient for me as no point getting a better deal on a flight if on arrival in UK you have a 150 mile journey home)
I also think people lose track of how big a bang for your buck you get!
A bus return to Lincoln from where i live costs around £10 slightly under 40mile round trip! (approx 184 miles for £46
£46 gets you 689 miles from Gatwick to Santiago they have to make money somewhere. (plus they have a toilet onboard 🤣 )
Woody

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
All of my recent RyanAir flights (and oddly, there have been a lot!) have been 100% full. As stated before, it’s hard to say whether my low cost covered my share of the fuel, gate charge, salaries, and so on, but overall they definitely made money.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The short answer is no, it does not. The airlines are often contracted to move daily cargo such as mail, and overnight business items. The flights must be reliable, travel a regular schedule, and go regardless of volume. People subsidize the necessary flights. Thus, they rather prefer the low maintenance traveler with only carry-on baggage.

The size restrictions can be pretty strictly enforced. If it’s greater than the cabin baggage size it has to be checked in and go into the hold. Do select this option when paying for your flight or you’ll pay a hefty premium at the gate.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.