• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SAD news .....Two pilgrims die in the CAMINO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

In Lorca.- Navarra.-

Fallece un peregrino danés de 76 años en Lorca (Tierra Estella) al sufrir un problema cardíaco

Diario de Navarra
..Un peregrino danés de 76 años que se encontraba realizando el Camino de Santiago en compañía de su mujer, falleció ayer a las por la mañana a causa de un ataque al corazón mientras realizaba la travesía a la altura de Lorca (Tierra de Estella), según fuentes del Gobierno de Navarra.

Un agricultor fue advertido por los gritos de la mujer y acudió al lugar de los hechos pero no pudo hacer nada para evitar su muerte. Hasta Lorca también se trasladó una ambulancia de los Servicios de Urgencia de Estella que tampoco lograron reanimar a la víctima.

A Danish pilgrim of 76 years in Lorca (Estella Earth) when suffering passes away a cardiac problem Newspaper of Navarre . A Danish pilgrim of 76 years that was realising the Way of Santiago in company of his wife, passed away yesterday to in the morning because of an attack to the heart while it realised the passage around Lorca (Land of Estella), according to sources of the Government of Navarre. An agriculturist was noticed by the shouts of the woman and went to the place of the facts but he could not make nothing to avoid his death. Until Lorca also an ambulance of the emergency Services of Estella moved that either did not manage to reanimate to the victim.
--

In Villalcazar de Sirga (Palencia)
PALENCIA
Un peregrino canadiense muere en un hostal de Villalcázar
17.05.11 - 00:16 - A. G. | PALENCIA.
Un hombre de 77 años, que hacía el Camino de Santiago, fue encontrado muerto ayer en el hostal Las Cantigas, de Villalcázar de Sirga, donde se había hospedado para pasar la noche. Todo parece indicar que el peregrino, de nacionalidad canadiense, murió por causas naturales.

In Villalcazar de Sirga (Palencia) PALENCIA A Canadian pilgrim dies in an inn of Villalcázar 17.05.11 - 00:16 - A.G. | PALENCIA. A man of 77 years, who made the Way of Santiago, was found yesterday in the inn the Cantigas dead, of Villalcázar de Sirga, where he had stayed myself to spend the night. Everything seems to indicate that the pilgrim, of Canadian nationality, died by natural causes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
two very widely separated locations.
Villalcazar is btween Fromista and Carrion.
Lorca is nearer the front of the Camino between Puente La Reina and Estella.

Strange to hear of two deaths at about the same time...however it appears that both were from natural causes.

It is sad news to hear of any deaths on the Camino. But both these pilgrims seem to have had a good innings and right up to the end were engaging in life.
Better to go like that, with the bit between your teeth, than die of boredom in an old peoples home somewhere.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Death has been present in the camino since ancient times, on one side it is because of the nature of the task, in modern times I think it is because the majority of pilgrims are over 60, the risk is greater as we grow older, it is more dangerous to walk those distances, but what the heck, for me would be a beautiful way to end my days.....

May they rest in peace.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I was surprised to read that the "majority of Pilgrims are over 60..."

I am not sure that is correct from my observations. I would have thought that the reverse was true. :?: :?:

The figures from the pilgrims' office website for 2010 are as follows.

Pilgrims' Age:
79.981 pilgrims were younger than 30 years old (29,33%), 158.642 were between 30 and 60 years old (58,17%), and 34.080 were aged above 60 years old (12,50%).

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am hoping that someone here can help me. My father was the Canadian pilgrim who died on the Camino. Is there a forum anywhere where people he met on the Camino might tell me about the time they spent with him before he died? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Hello Sirna, I too offer my condolances and was wondering what I would do in your situation.
As you probably know, each Pilgrim carries a Pilgrim passport, where each overnight stay is stamped in this little booklet. If you are now in possession of this passport, check out all the stamps and the dates and you could then publish them, in date order on the Forum. You could also calculate approx the date your father should have arrived at Santiago, because I guess that his fellow Pilgrims are still walking and therefore might not have or don't want to have internet access. If you can guess more or less the date of what would have been his arrival at Santiago, maybe through a note posted there, somebody of his fellow walkers might just see it. Anne

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
With his pilgrims pass in your possession you would know where he stayed and the date, if was traveling with some other pilgrims it is likely they registered at about the Same time, each hostel records the details of pilgrims as they arrive. (under privacy they may not release that info to you)

As far as web points of contact go this forum is probably the best.

The previous suggestion i believe has merit, if you can estimate his expected end date (aprox 25 km per day) you may be able to post your contact details in the pilgrims office and people who he befriended on the way can contact you.

I am sure people here can assist you to contact the pilgrims office in Santiago

I wish you well

Frank

Hello jsirna,

I agree with the 2 former posts.

I imagine Pilgrims arriving in Santiago at the Pilgrim's office - they might not know that your father died - and could there be a recent picture of him with your demand of a contact published somehow, the chances are the best to really find fellow pilgrims. Which, I perfectly understand, must be very important for you.

My thoughts are with you and your family

Según la prensa española.-

Un hombre de 77 años, que hacía el Camino de Santiago, fue encontrado muerto ayer en el hostal Las Cantigas, de Villalcázar de Sirga, donde se había hospedado para pasar la noche. Todo parece indicar que el peregrino, de nacionalidad canadiense, murió por causas naturales.
El hombre fue encontrado muerto a las 12.45 horas de ayer, y al lugar se desplazaron efectivos de la Policía Judicial de la Guardia Civil para investigar el hecho, así como el forense y el juez, que ordenó el levantamiento del cadáver.
El cuerpo del hombre fue trasladado al Tanatorio de Palencia. Entretanto, ayer se iniciaron las gestiones para localizar a los familiares del fallecido a través de la embajada canadiense en España, según han informado fuentes de la Guardia Civil.-

According to the Spanish press
A 77-year-old man, which made the Camino de Santiago, was found dead yesterday in the hostel Las Cantigas de Villalcázar de Sirga, where had been staying for the night. Everything seems to indicate that the Pilgrim, of Canadian nationality, died of natural causes.
The man was found dead at 1245 hours yesterday, and to place the Judicial Police of the Guardia Civil troops moved to investigate the fact, as well as the coroner and the judge, who ordered the lifting of the corpse.
The body of the man was transferred to the funeral of Palencia. Meanwhile, yesterday began efforts to locate the relatives of the deceased through the Canadian Embassy in Spain, as reported sources of the Civil Guard.
I believe that the best information can get her at the Inn where he died.

http://www.hostallascantigas.es/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
i agree to the former posts,

if we are pilgrims in this world, and if the camino helps us to remind us this fact, teh camino is a very strong preparation to be ready for our death.
the camino made me think seriously about life, about the most important things in life, which are left behind in our daily lives at home...
so, it is great to hear that those people who died on the camino, went to God prepared to meet Him!!!!!

jsirna said:
I am hoping that someone here can help me. My father was the Canadian pilgrim who died on the Camino. Is there a forum anywhere where people he met on the Camino might tell me about the time they spent with him before he died? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Jsirna, If you were able to put his first name here on the forum, and perhaps which part of Canada he was from, you might be fortunate to get replies from people who walked with him, even if the replies are not immediate. I hope so, as I am sure it would mean a lot to you.
Margaret

My wife Sylvie reports that the news has traveled up and down the trail via the Albergue owners, so I imagine there will be conversation and prayers tonight at the supper meal. Sylvie will suggest that anyone with personal information contact jsirna via this forum, and Sylvie will also forward me any news via facebook, and I will forward to jsirna as well.

http://www.sylviehanes.ca for Camino updates daily.

"But both these pilgrims seem to have had a good innings and right up to the end were engaging in life. Better to go like that, with the bit between your teeth, than die of boredom in an old peoples home somewhere."

- Steve.Belfast

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you all so much for your suggestions and your help. We know that my dad was doing what he wanted to do by walking the Camino and we know he met wonderful people. It would mean a great deal to us to hear from those people as you can imagine. My father's name was Harry and he is from London, Ontario Canada.

I have contacted our member Johnnie Walker who volunteers at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago and this is his reply.

"William I fear little can be done. The only record the office has are the lists of the hundreds who arrived on the same day-we have no contact details. However they could send their details to the office in case pilgrims may be trying to contact them. I can do this if you wish. Also we could link them with the local Amigos should they wish to visit that part of the camino where their loved one died.
For the 6-7 weeks I am on pilgrimage I can be best contacted on: xxxxxxxxx
Best wishes
John"

I have left out Johnnie's contact e-mail for his own security but if you would like to PM me (see PM button to the right of the post) I will forward it to you.

I hope we can help.

William

Hi jsirna,

First off, my condolances to you and your family.

I am in Santiago a few times a week (I live just outside of town)... let me know if there is anything I can do for you from this end. My email: ivar.rekve[at]gmail.com

Saludos,
Ivar

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We live two or three days down the trail from Villacazar. We put up a notice at the hostels in Moratinos and St. Nicolas del Real Camino, as those who may have walked with your father may well be in the area. I hope you hear from someone.

Rebekah

dear jsirna,
i am currently walking the camino, and learned yesterday that a canadian pilgrim, who we met while waliking last week and with whom my son and i had dinner a week ago, had passed away in his sleep in the alburge in whicb he was staying. he was 77 years old, and his home was in Guelph, Ontario. was this your father? if so, please contact me (email: sanjiva.wijesinha@monash.edu) as i would like to offer you my condolences and talk about him.
sincerely,
dr sanjiva wijesinha

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Dear jsirna,

May I share some words that helped when my Dad passed away, slightly modified but appropriate I believe.

Last Night I Met an Angel

Last night I met an Angel
As I tossed and turned and sweat
I worried on the things to do
Those completed, those not yet

Where were all the papers
Insurance, car and such
What bills had been forgotten
Make a total, see how much

The calls, at first a trickle
Was a deluge in my ears
Every story and remembrance
Bringing laughter, leaving tears

Those he met on the Camino
Got in touch to share a tale
Ready laughter, understanding
Disbelief his heart would fail

The Angel, bright eyes shining
Said, slow down, I’ve things to tell
Don’t make your search for answers
Or what needs done a living Hell

Calmness came upon me
As the Sun’s warmth dried my face
I’d found my solid center
In his wisdom and his Grace

Again, I looked upon his face
Bright eyes shining, never sad
He smiled, and then I realized
That Angel was my Dad

Harry
Buen Camino
Class of 2011

Thank you -- again everyone your help and support.
I have learned that my dad actually went by Henry on the Camino --- not Harry. This is interesting since all his life he only used Henry with family and Harry with everyone else.

Currently, I am trying to get in touch with Phil and Sheila Wall who would have walked with him. They dropped pictures off at my dad's home so obviously don't know about his death. I don't know where they are from but I know from my dad's journal that he walked with them on May 9th and I think stopped for the night in Villa Franca.

Again --- any help is appreciated.

jsirina,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear of your father's passing.

The photos that were dropped off, if they were through the post do you know where they were posted from?

You might run the names past the two Canadian confraternities:-

French Canada has its own named ''Du Québec à Compostelle''.

See it here: http://www.duquebecacompostelle.org/

For the Canadian Company of Pilgrims,
go there: http://www.santiago.ca/ben.html

The London, England based Confraetrnity of St James attracts people from both these Isles and also other countries.

office@csj.org.uk

They might be able to tell you if they know who the couple are and no doubt would pass a message on.

philip

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This forum is a good place to wait for information. To keep this thread near the top of the topics, make a posting once a week so it will be noticed by new members. If you have a full name, you can search it a number of places on the internet. Try http://www.zabasearch.com for one site. There are others. Good luck with your information search.

It is sad news to hear of any deaths on the Camino. But both these pilgrims seem to have had a good innings and right up to the end were engaging in life.
Better to go like that, with the bit between your teeth, than die of boredom in an old peoples home somewhere.
Walk in your own footsteps and die in your own footsteps and you will have lived a full life.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back