• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Safety warning on Albergue Maribel Roncal in Cizur Menor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dutch_pelgrima

I would strongly advice pelgrims NOT to stay at the albergue Maribel Roncal in CIZUR MENOR. The reason is that the rooms of this albergue are situated around a courtyard/garden AND cannot be locked. Thieves can enter the premises easily by just climbing the garden wall, which they did in the night from 10 to 11 May 2012. While the pelgrims were sleeping they searched all the 5 (!) rooms and stole money, cameras and telephones from several pelgrims.

Maribel pointed out some small safe deposit boxes in the rooms after it had happened. In case you use your phone as an alarm clock or have something of value that is too big for the small boxes (eg a tablet), or if you don't like the idea that someone is watching you and your belongings at night, avoid this place.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Re: safety warning on Albergue Maribel Roncal in CIZUR MENOR!

12 years ago people walked with very little 'technology' so there wasn't much to steal from pilgrims. Thieves knew that most pilgrims kept their cash and cards in body belts under their clothing but today they have a choice of iPads, smart phones, tablets, digital cameras, gps, mp3 etc.
There are many albergues that are not secure. I wouldn't avoid one just because they have been hit.

There are many albergues that are not secure. I wouldn't avoid one just because they have been hit.

I wouldn't either ... I would however put all my valuables including my passport in a bag at the bottom of my sleeping bag or inside my pillowcase. I am a very light sleeper. I doubt anyone could manage to find and/or take anything in either of those 2 locations without waking me even if I was dirt tired after walking all day. I AM rather surprised at the audacity of the crooks ... and slightly amazed that of all the people sleeping in the same room that no one woke up or was otherwise alerted to suspicious behaviour during the night.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

dutch_pelgrima said:
I would strongly advice pelgrims NOT to stay at the albergue Maribel Roncal in CIZUR MENOR. The reason is that the rooms of this albergue are situated around a courtyard/garden AND cannot be locked.
We stayed here before and the described location actually is the albergue's charm.
That there had been theft during your stay, the scale of which seems ludicrous, should not be a reason to send this albergue into oblivion. Rather a warning to pilgrims that, wherever they stay, important belongings must be kept under constant control (passport, money, electronics, etc.)

fraluchi said:
dutch_pelgrima said:
I would strongly advice pelgrims NOT to stay at the albergue Maribel Roncal in CIZUR MENOR. The reason is that the rooms of this albergue are situated around a courtyard/garden AND cannot be locked.
We stayed here before and the described location actually is the albergue's charm.
That there had been theft during your stay, the scale of which seems ludicrous, should not be a reason to send this albergue into oblivion. Rather a warning to pilgrims that, wherever they stay, important belongings must be kept under constant control (passport, money, electronics, etc.)

I strongly agree with Fraluchi. The Roncal Albergue is charming ; I have stayed there during six caminos and Maribel Roncal was always a most gracious hospitalero. Of course wherever you stop "important belongings must be kept under constant control". Shared dorm rooms in most albergues generally are not locked. These thefts are unfortunate, but to stigmatize this special place which has existed as an albergue serving pilgrims for many years should be unthinkable.

Margaret

Regarding the robberies noted at the Roncal albergue in Cizur Menor near Pamplona in recent posts Mundicamino http://www.mundicamino.com/noticias.cfm reports today the following

"Jueves - 24 mayo de 2012 / europapress.es
Dos detenidos por robar en un albergue de peregrinos en la Comarca de Pamplona ...."

Here is the Google translation of their full report.

"Thursday - May 24, 2012 / europapress.es
Two arrested for stealing in a hostel for pilgrims in the region of Pamplona ....

The Provincial Police recently stopped two men to commit theft in a hostel for pilgrims on the Camino de Santiago is located in the region of Pamplona, ​​as reported by the Government in a note.
This is AQ, 39 year-old resident of Barañáin, and FM, 29, resident of Logroño, with several similar backgrounds and with a warrant of arrest and detention of a court of Pamplona.
The past 11 and May 12 Provincial Police received a report of three pilgrims who had suffered the theft of mobile phones, cameras and cash as they slept in a shelter the Camino de Santiago in the region of Pamplona.
It so happens that several pilgrims observed on both nights, two men handling bags inside the shelter, but at the time thought they were also pilgrims.
Upon learning of these facts, the Regional Police deployed a monitoring device that, on the morning of day 13, caught a man who agreed to the lodge climbing a wall. Although he fled, was intercepted and arrested.
Once in police custody, the detainee provided a false identity but police determined it was FM Later investigations led police to find out who the other man who participated in the robberies was AQ, who was arrested the day after.
Among the assets recovered by the Provincial Police two cameras and four mobile phones, several of which are fully consistent with those described in the complaints.
SIMILAR ACTION IN AUGUST, 2011
In August 2011 the Provincial Police developed the operation 'Santiago', which led to the arrest of two persons who were found to have a lot of stolen about thirty people at various shelters for pilgrims of Navarra.
The thieves accessed at dawn and establishments were made with all valuables in their path: phones, cameras, sunglasses, cash and even a printer."

I stress that In spite of the successful capture of these thieves and recovery of the stolen goods all pilgrims should be CONSISTANTLY BE CONSCIOUS OF THEIR SURROUNDING AND NEVER LEAVE VALUABLES UNPROTECTED!!

Margaret

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And it proves that the authorities do care about safety; they may seem nonchalant at times, and there are obstacles to catching thieves, but the Camino is quite an economic engine for Spain, and the governments, local and national, do what they can.

I agree that this is a charming Algergue and we need to be careful not to toss out the baby with the bathwater. Every time I got the chance to buy a dozen eggs and boil them I did. I would put them carefully into the refrigerator with a note asking that no one eat them - my name on the carton. EVERY morning, no matter the albergue, they were always gone. :( I resigned myself to the fact that someone was hungry and needed them more than I. Anything more valuable than hard-cooked eggs I keep in a pouch around my neck and under my pillow. Now, more than ever, Spain needs our Camino business. Buen Camino

That is kind of depressing that someone would steal hard-boiled eggs. I wasn't thrilled when my beer went missing in one albergue, but wanted to think it was a mistake. I guess not. Sad.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Food pilfering happens everywhere, not just on the camino. Virtually every hostel I've been to in the world has a sign saying something along the lines of "don't eat other people's food" yet it still happens. It's just a problem of communal living...

Just a thought - a boiled egg would not 'go off' over night - in the sense of not being perfectly still edible - even if not kept in a refrigerater for a short time. So maybe you would wish to not leave eggs there.

I do applaud, however, Ruby Slippers' resignation and acceptance about her lost eggs. Someone may have needed them. :?

My father and I were blown away by Maribel Roncal at Cizur Menor - We visited early August this year.... One of the few Albergues that offered camping on their grounds. The lady/hospitalario was very friendly and extremely helpful. We camped outside in the beatiful gardens and had no issues..
We liked this particular Albergue so much that we decided to re-visit for another nights stay on the way home from our camino.. We camped again. Unfortunatley my mobile phone was stolen.
I do however take full responsibilty - beacause on this particular night I had my phone under my pillow as appose to having it in my bag, and we slept without a tent that night because it was so Hot. It is scary to think that somebody got so close while I was sleeping..

So I suggest not to Avoid this Albergue - but just to keep personal belongings close and safe - As you should at every Albergue.

Buen Camino :D

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My friend and I stayed at Albergue Maribel Roncal in Cizur Menor on the 5th of June 2012 and found it to be pleasant and safe. They provided a locked room for my bike and no one was robbed while they slept as the doors were closed and locked. Both my phone and netbook were charging, as I slept, on a wall outlet along with another persons phone all night and all were there in the morning. My four panniers, with all my belongings, were still under my bunk. I find that many of my things disappear because I have not paid attention to when and where I put them. The lady who runs the place was quite friendly and helpful making sure we knew how to lock up our bikes. Loved the pond where the turtles live, and watching her feed them. At this point in my life I have decided not to be attached to stuff who's disappearance could put a damper on a wonderful experience.

And so the warning is....?

I stayed at Maribel Roncal's Cizur Minor Albergue
and found it delightful. She is a truly generous soul
who loves looking after pilgrims. It was a priviledge
and an honor to stay in her albergue.

Firstly let me say I am sorry to read you had this unpleasant experience on your Camino.

It too is part of the Camino History and today we are fortunate that we travel in relatively peaceful times however opportunists (and we don't know their circumstance or need) have always been a fact of life.

Albergue Roncal and Maribel were a highlight of our Camino. Maribel did, in our case, warn us about the security risk and I guess with a tough economic climate the targetting of all albergues/hostals worldwide is an issue. It is an excellent suggestion to pop valuables at your feet inside your sleeping bag or travel super light and use the internet when it's available at Albergues rather than taking a tablet or similar. Your call of course however I would be so sorry to see this wonderful Albergue and it's gracious hostess avoided because of this unfortunate incident.

Take care, Buen Camino, Catherine.
http://scribesarcade.wordpress.com/2012 ... onfession/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This makes me very sad, as this one of the nicest places I stayed, and Maribal is wonderful. Its a real bummer about thieves but this can happen anywhere. I would advise you to sleep with anything expensive and/or irreplacable, but I had way more problems with the tourist auberges with no kitchens, and inconsiderate so called pilgrims, and lock up of facilities. For example, in Najera I had to stay a night in the tourist place. At 5 am some geek did his laundry, impossible to sleep. Lost 3 euro on the computer as it didnt really connect with the internet,such a waste of time and messages not sent. The only other time I stayed in tourist place, they locked up the wing that contained aseos, so only one toilet for many many pilgrims. It seems these private places take advantage of tired pilgrims who just go into the first auberge...and sometimes the municipal is way farther back or not clearly indicated and these new places are so situated as to grab you when you first enter town.
But doent condemn Maribel and do stay in Cezar Menor,just be a bit wary.

This night, 28th June 2014, there has been a robbery in Cizur Menor at Albergue Maribel Roncal.

The theft came about 2:40 am and went to minimum 2 rooms. Two mobile phones has been stolen, as far as I can tell (I left quite early and not everybody was up).
As already mentioned by other pilgrims, this Albergue can not lock any room. For criminals it is very easy to come overnight and enter EVERY room and they do this constantly.

I really do not understand why the lady running this Albergue does not warn their guests before they go to sleep. I would have much appreciate such a warning and would probably not lost my iPhone.

The other mobile belonged to a french guy, already on his way from east France (more than 1000 km) the past two month, he was so shocked, he stopped his way to Santiago and is now heading back home. What a shame.

I really can not recommend this Albergue as obviously the lady does not care at all what happened already so many times in her house.

If you go there anyway, please send my regards to that lady and inform her and all pilgrims with you, that they should sleep with their belongings in bed. Avoid as well to charge your mobiles or other devices over night as this is directly at the doors.

Good luck and buen Camino de Puente la Rein (for today) :)
Stefan.

I am sorry to learn of these thefts. Such unfortunate occurrences should make all pilgrims be CONSISTANTLY CONSCIOUS OF THEIR SURROUNDING AND NEVER LEAVE VALUABLES UNPROTECTED!!

I have often stayed at the Roncal Albergue; Maribel Roncal was always a gracious and caring hospitalero. Generally shared dorm rooms in most albergues are not locked. Following these events do not stigmatize this special place which has existed as an albergue serving pilgrims for many years, but do protect all your property wherever you might be.

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
I fully agree ... All valuables are OUR responsibility and we should therefore take every step to keep them protected. These robberies are unfortunate but just because they have occurred at a particular Albergue, that is no reason to boycott that particular place.....we ALL have to be much more vigilant, especially when in public places and Albergues....

I really do not understand why the lady running this Albergue does not warn their guests before they go to sleep. I would have much appreciate such a warning and would probably not lost my iPhone.

I really can not recommend this Albergue as obviously the lady does not care at all what happened already so many times in her house.

If you go there anyway, please send my regards to that lady and inform her and all pilgrims with you, that they should sleep with their belongings in bed. Avoid as well to charge your mobiles or other devices over night as this is directly at the doors.
This flame is from a first time poster. Thefts happen, and Cizur Menor is close to Pamplona, so it is easily targeted. Tens of thousands of pilgrims have nothing but praise for Maribel, and she does everything possible to make the stay pleasant. Recommending that the place be avoided is an unworthy slur. I am a three time customer.

I counsel caution in following Stefan's advice. Quite simply, he has it wrong except for sleeping with your valuables part.

The original poster also was a one-time, newly registered poster. The police did arrest two men in the incident, which is probably much more useful than flaming the albergue.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I have a slightly related question about security. In November 2012 I and my walking partner found a private albergue with an "Open" sign, right in front of a house, but separate. So we entered and made ourselves comfortable, as suggested in a note left on the table. By the time we left the next morning, we had seen no signs of people in the house (maybe they were away for the weekend), so we left everything tidy with donations, signed the guest book and stamped our credentials. It was a very comfortable stay. However, when I think back, I wonder if I should have locked the door before we went to sleep. If I encounter that by myself, I would like to do so. Does this seem appropriate, say at 10 pm? Thanks. - Clare

Clare,

Yes, locking the door after 10pm if you are alone in albergue is both appropriate and wise. Over the years walking in late autumn/winter I have often been the only pilgrim and generally 'locked up' after 10pm. Only in bad storms did I leave the door unlocked. By the way staying alone in a large albergue can be rather daunting; read more here.

Margaret Meredith

I'm so confused as to why they don't put locks on the doors???? - isn't it better for people to knock after a certain hour than to put everyone else at risk? Just doesn't make sense to me and I don't think it has anything to do with being attached to material possessions. I'm bringing an iphone bc i can use it as a phone, camera, voice memo, gps, alarm clock, etc. I would hate to wake up without it and don't think it's in the spirit of the camino to have to worry if your personal possessions are going to get stolen from right under your nose. There's a normal level of precaution and then there's sleeping in a place that doesn't lock it's doors when they've been victim to numerous robberies. That seems suspicious to me and I would not choose to stay there if I had a choice.

I'm so confused as to why they don't put locks on the doors???? - isn't it better for people to knock after a certain hour than to put everyone else at risk? Just doesn't make sense to me and I don't think it has anything to do with being attached to material possessions. I'm bringing an iphone bc i can use it as a phone, camera, voice memo, gps, alarm clock, etc. I would hate to wake up without it and don't think it's in the spirit of the camino to have to worry if your personal possessions are going to get stolen from right under your nose. There's a normal level of precaution and then there's sleeping in a place that doesn't lock it's doors when they've been victim to numerous robberies. That seems suspicious to me and I would not choose to stay there if I had a choice.
There probably WAS a lock on the door. I just didn't think at the time to use it. It was our very first night in an albergue and we had no idea what to expect. Afterwards I thought about it and realized that I could have locked it at a sensible time.

There probably WAS a lock on the door. I just didn't think at the time to use it. It was our very first night in an albergue and we had no idea what to expect. Afterwards I thought about it and realized that I could have locked it at a sensible time.
Oh I didn't mean you specifically -I meant whoever leaves at 10pm - I've read that a lot of other albergues also don't lock their doors but it's one entrance not as easy to escape as this one mentioned I guess - in any case this is disheartening - I don't want to feel like I need to look over my shoulder or not even get a good night's rest bc if your bag is stolen - yeah it's just stuff - but you need that stuff to finish the camino so you have to buy it all over again along the way or cut your trip short and it just puts a damper on things to read about these incidents.

The camino is more secure than most places you could travel to. Just use common sense, and sleep with your valuables. Whole bags don't get stolen from albergues very often! I expect that you will relax once you get there - the unknown is always more worrisome!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
... I'm bringing an iphone bc i can use it as a phone, camera, voice memo, gps, alarm clock, etc. I would hate to wake up without it and don't think it's in the spirit of the camino to have to worry if your personal possessions are going to get stolen from right under your nose. ...

Main entrance doors of albergues are generally locked by hospitaleros at evening curfew time; dorms are not locked. As I posted above when there is no hospitalero and when staying alone in an albergue do lock the main entrance door after curfew.

Unfortunately all who walk the camino and visit albergues are NOT camino angels; read this earlier Forum thread regarding ways to protect your valuables. Once you feel protected you can then relax and enjoy your camino and its prevalent spirit.

Margaret Meredith

In the incident a while back, the local thieves climbed over the wall to get into the courtyard to go through packs in the middle of the night. Locking doors had little to do with it. If the thief is a false pilgrim already inside the albergue, locks also would have no effect in the communal living arrangement.

Private rooms in hotels provide a higher level of security. You can always use them.

I reiterate my opinion that this albergue is among the best on the Camino.

But Reb, without a passport I can't get home!

Of course you can still get home Kanga....passports ARE replaceable - maybe not without quite some inconvenience, but, more fool anyone for letting their passport out of their possession. Sue.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And so the warning is....?

I stayed at Maribel Roncal's Cizur Minor Albergue
and found it delightful. She is a truly generous soul
who loves looking after pilgrims. It was a priviledge
and an honor to stay in her albergue.
Completely agree! She certainly took good care of me (and my blisters!) this past August.

I stayed in the albergue mentioned this year and there was new lockers inside the dorm I was in, with phone charging points inside the lockers...when I say lockers they are the airport type found in some airports... enough room to leave phone while charging and room for passport...meds etc.

The lady also has a sensor fitted....as soon as the side gate is open a bell is heard in the first instance then she is alerted when a person passes the censor in the court yard...
great relaxing albergue with a very attentive selfless owner..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back