• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago: albergues without a lockout time?

natefaith

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2009, 2014, 2017
Hi everyone,
I should probably know this 😬, but which albergues in Santiago let you sleep in and hang out during the day - i.e., albergues which don't have a lockout time for cleaning? We have some friends coming and since we can't host them they'll be reserving accommodations...but with jet lag they'll need a place that allows them to sleep in.

EDIT: They'll be on a tighter budget, about 15€ a night or less.

THANKS!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, Nate/Faith,
why not book them in with Jose Ramon (the fruit shop man at the end of your street) in his place in Rua Franco? Perfect location! He has rooms with beds (2-5 in each room) for a very reasonable price, and your friends get keys so they can come and go as they please. Say hello from me!

Tel: 630 059 055 / 628 577 323

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although San Martn Pinario has regular tourist rooms it also has more than a few albergue rooms; all of the 4th floor provides albergue accommodation! The included hotel/albergue breakfast are the same and the hot meal at lunch/dinner always delicious. Prices may have risen slightly but the following post which I wrote a few years ago should still be valid.

"I agree that San Martin Pinario is a VERY good stop in Santiago!

Most pilgrim rooms are singles at 23 Euros, but there are a few double pilgrim rooms and a few rooms with more beds. Ask about these when you email your query. for space to this address >> reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu.
or
info@sanmartinpinario.eu
Do NOT use the on-line booking form which is only for more expensive tourist accommodation.

I have stayed in simple pilgrim rooms in 2011 and December 2012, 2013, 2014 and always found it comfortable and most convenient. Added features are the fact that they are open 24/7 so that you can arrive at anytime, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual, WiFi is free, there are multiple public spaces for casual conversation and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good 3 course lunch or dinner with wine for only 12 Euros. What more does a tired pilgrim need?"

Edit today 23/04/19
Current price for a single pilgrim roon with breakfast and private shower/toilet is 25€ per night.

Last edited:
Thanks for these tips so far!

I should clarify that their budget will be on the lower end, probably around 15€ per person per night. (They're young, around 20 years old.) I'll edit my original post.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for these tips so far!

I should clarify that their budget will be on the lower end, probably around 15€ per person per night. (They're young, around 20 years old.) I'll edit my original post.
Take a phone call to Jose Ramon. Depending on no. of persons, they may have a very nice price. Tell him I said so :cool:;)

Faith,

I've stayed a few days at Roots and Boots and been able to hang out during the day and I really enjoy staying at Hospedería via Lucia (old Convent) which also would work too although it is a little farther walk on the other side of Parque da Alameda.

Ah, I see now that they want to sleep in. I would go with Hospedería via Lucia.

Mike

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Although San Martn Pinario has regular tourist rooms it also has more than a few albergue rooms; all of the 4th floor provides albergue accommodation! The included hotel/albergue breakfast are the same and the hot meal at lunch/dinner always delicious. Prices may have risen slightly but the following post which I wrote a few years ago should still be valid.

"I agree that San Martin Pinario is a VERY good stop in Santiago!

Most pilgrim rooms are singles at 23 Euros, but there are a few double pilgrim rooms and a few rooms with more beds. Ask about these when you email your query. for space to this address >> reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu.
or
info@sanmartinpinario.eu
Do NOT use the on-line booking form which is only for more expensive tourist accommodation.

I have stayed in simple pilgrim rooms in 2011 and December 2012, 2013, 2014 and always found it comfortable and most convenient. Added features are the fact that they are open 24/7 so that you can arrive at anytime, the obliging desk staff are multi-lingual, WiFi is free, there are multiple public spaces for casual conversation and the restaurant (open to all) serves a very good 3 course lunch or dinner with wine for only 12 Euros. What more does a tired pilgrim need?"

Edit today 23/04/19
Current price for a single pilgrim roon with breakfast and private shower/toilet is 25€ per night.
I always stay there when I arrive in Santiago. I get a pilgrim room and yes last October/November it was 25 Euros a night including breakfast. Can't get wifi in a pilgrims room but you can get it in the lobby. Last year I was having breakfast and looked up and there was a dear friend who I walked with the year before on the Camino Portuguese. He had just finished the Via De La Plata and I had just completed the Norte. You never know who you will run into. It was great to see him.
For booking I aways call directly to desk if I can. I dont think that Booking or Hotels.com offer the pilgrim rooms on their website. It is by far easier to call if you can. You may have to call a few times depending on how busy they are

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've just booked a tiny apartment in Santiago on Air bnb. We are three "mature" females and although we are planning to stay in albergues on the Portuguese Camino we've decided to add a night of "luxury" for £69 at the end. This gives us the option to sort ourselves out / do washing / prepare luggage and food for the next day's long train home. This option is likely to be over their budget but it's worth looking on Air bnb.

Update. We were ahead of schedule on our Portuguese Camino in May. I booked and extra night in the same Air bnb in Santiago and for the day we arrived booked 3 single beds at Seminario Menor . Single rooms all fully booked by then.
Dorms are fine. Great bedside lockers for leaving rucksack and valuables also inside each is a power socket so phone can be left safely and charged .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am staying right now at the santiago albergue km 0. It's 22 Euros a night, 4 or 6 persons in.a room.

If you stay in the dormitory for 10, it is only 16 Euros a night - except July, August and part of September, then it is 22 Euros.

No check-in time at night, you get a sort of targeta for the frontdoor. It is 200 m off the cathedral, 50 m to the Pilgrim Office. For me it is just perfect.

I am staying right now at the santiago albergue km 0. It's 22 Euros a night, 4 or 6 persons in.a room.

If you stay in the dormitory for 10, it is only 16 Euros a night - except July, August and part of September, then it is 22 Euros.

No check-in time at night, you get a sort of targeta for the frontdoor. It is 200 m off the cathedral, 50 m to the Pilgrim Office. For me it is just perfect.

You made to Santiago.

Good for you!

I could be wrong but I think the fruit shop is gone. Maybe I was in the wrong street.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.