• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Santiago itinerary suggestions

fjvjess

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2015
Hello,

I've walked 700k with a fast moving group and will have 3 days to spend in Santiago this weekend. Of course, there will be festival activities. Would anyone like to offer suggestions of what to see/do/eat/etc? I'm perfectly fine sitting in a square and people watching, but I don't want to miss interesting attractions if they are there. And does anyone know the hours of the credential office or best time to go there?

Thank you,
Jessica

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello,

I've walked 700k with a fast moving group and will have 3 days to spend in Santiago this weekend. Of course, there will be festival activities. Would anyone like to offer suggestions of what to see/do/eat/etc? I'm perfectly fine sitting in a square and people watching, but I don't want to miss interesting attractions if they are there. And does anyone know the hours of the credential office or best time to go there?

Thank you,
Jessica
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/the-pilgrims-office/

Early in the morning you haven't to line up and later in the afternoon , normally spoken but maybe you will have back luck because it can be busy in summertime.
Santiago will be the anti climax after your 700 odd kms.
For my wife and myself half a day sightseeing was enough.it is one big touristical fair with busloads full of day tourists, taking your place in the cathedral so with your 700 kms on the counter ,you can stand during the mass or even cannot go into the cathedral as happened to us :(
The best of Santiago is the first opportunity to get out of it :D

Buen camino

Last edited:
Like you I finished early and had 3 days in Santiago before my flight to Madrid. I was alone in March and stayed in a small hotel. Third time to Santiago so decided to play tourist and see some new sights. Here are a few I enjoyed (easy to walk to and minimal time commitment). Bring your credential so you get free or reduced entrance fees.
1. Pilgrimage Museum: Rua de San Miguel 4. Open from 10:00-8:00. Hours may vary on weekend. Five minute walk from cathedral. Small museum in old converted building. It has an interesting exhibit on pilgrimages from around the world and artifacts/pictures from the camino. Clipboards with info in different languages in each room. A nice place to reflect on the thousands of pilgrims that have walked before you.
2. Museo de la Casa de la Troia: Rua da Troia 5. A home that has been decorated in the period of late 1800s. Based on a famous book. It was very interesting to see how families lived during that time period. Hours vary so check their website. It is a few minutes from the cathedral next to the entrance to the Carris Hotel. One of the docents spoke English so I got a personal tour in English and she answered all of my questions.
3. Mercado de Abastos: Rua das Ameas. Open 9-3:00 daily but Sunday. Go early. An interesting farmers market with lots of locals and housed in traditional buildings. Good food too.
4. Cathedral Tours: at entrance to Cathedral you can purchase different tours of the cathedral. Haven't done it yet but hear the roof top tour is great with beautiful views of Santiago.
5. O Curro Da Parro Restaurant: Rua Travesa 20. An amazing atmospheric little restaurant with only 16 seats. Gourmet and a little expensive with only 16 tables. Had early lunch alone with friendly waitress and amazing local food. Of course their are lots of great restaurants with great seafood but this was worth the splurge. Located two streets behind the famous pilgrim's restaurant Casa Manolo.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We stayed in Santiago for 6 days after finishing the Camino and while I agree it can be crowded, if you have a nice place to stay and can just wander around and take your time, it is a very attractive city. In addition to the recommendations above I would also strongly recommend the Museo do Pobo Galego (Museum of the Galician People - www.museodopobo.es) in c/ San Domingos de Bonaval - fascinating and a beautiful building. The written info beside the exhibits is in Galego but you don't really need to read them (and they they do have some handouts in English and Castellano).

I also recommend wandering into some of the (many) churches other than the cathedral - all have interesting histories and there are some lovely peaceful places to just sit. And of course like most cities, if you venture away from the tourist hotspots it gets a lot less crowded (although I don't know about this weekend - I suspect there will be no escape and you're probably best to just join in!)

Enjoy your time in Santiago, as well as your last couple of days on the road, and congratulations!

We had four days in Santiago in April. It was not crowded. We stayed at the
Albergue Seminario Menor-- I had been planning on staying at a hotel, but we got to Santiago earlier than planned, and we liked this place so much we canceled the hotel reservation. (This albergue had hot showers, washing machines, clothes lines, a great kitchen. It is right near a park.) There is a huge market in Santiago-- I think my 14 yo son liked the market as much as the cathedral! The market has long granite building with rows and rows of everything you can imagine. We spent our days reading in the park, visiting the museums, attending mass, and making really great meals.

There is a nice walk (if by then you still feel like taking a stroll), which follows the route out of town to Finisterre. After a couple of Km's you will go down a steep hill and cross a small bridge, where, instead of turning left following the arrows, you will turn right and follow a lovely track along the river, dotted with several old water mills, climbing back to Santiago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We had four days in Santiago in April. It was not crowded. We stayed at the
Albergue Seminario Menor-- I had been planning on staying at a hotel, but we got to Santiago earlier than planned, and we liked this place so much we canceled the hotel reservation. (This albergue had hot showers, washing machines, clothes lines, a great kitchen. It is right near a park.) There is a huge market in Santiago-- I think my 14 yo son liked the market as much as the cathedral! The market has long granite building with rows and rows of everything you can imagine. We spent our days reading in the park, visiting the museums, attending mass, and making really great meals.
The market is the Mercado de Abastos on Rua das Ameas.

Ooo, three days in Santiago! How fun. Here's a link to the festivities and concerts they'll be putting on this weekend: http://www.santiagoturismo.com/axen...015-espectaculo-nocturno-y-fuegos-del-apostol

The most important one will be the light show on the façade of the Cathedral followed by fireworks. It starts at 11:30pm, but if you go you'll want to get to the square early and secure a spot - it will be really crowded.

The roof tour of the Cathedral, mentioned above, is a beautiful way to get a bird's-eye view of the city. I also recommend taking a walk around Alameda park, located right outside of the historic old town. There's a tree-lined path and a mirador looking out onto the front of the Cathedral. There's also room to spread out, take a nap, and enjoy some green space. The nice thing about coming this weekend is that there will be a fair set up in Alameda, with a churros booth that sells fat cream-filled, chocolate-covered churros! This is something I look forward to every year! Each of these churros is your entire week's worth of calories, but it's worth tasting at least one in your lifetime.

The white tourist train that goes around town is also something cheap and fun that gives you more information and history about the town of Santiago. You board the train in front of the Cathedral.

If you get tired of the noise and crowds in Santiago, you can take a train up to La Coruña and explore the ocean, beaches, lighthouse, and other sights there. Of course, there's also the option of going to Finisterre and Muxía.

Buen Camino - enjoy your last few days!
Faith

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a nice walk (if by then you still feel like taking a stroll), which follows the route out of town to Finisterre. After a couple of Km's you will go down a steep hill and cross a small bridge, where, instead of turning left following the arrows, you will turn right and follow a lovely track along the river, dotted with several old water mills, climbing back to Santiago.

Highly recommend that walk, and just took it a few days ago. It's well marked, goes along the river Sarela and is very lovely. You can poke around an old falling down mill, soak your feet in little pools and feel like you're miles from civilization when in reality the hustle and bustle of Santiago is about three minutes away.

Both the rooftop tours (though slightly scary for those who don't like heights -- make sure to wear VERY sensible shoes) and the scaffolding tour of the Portico de la Gloria (for now the only way to see this incredible doorway, and you get very up close and personal) are highlights.

Last year I walked up to the Cidade da Cultura, easy to do from an intersection near the bridge over the Rio Sar (entry for the Vdlp), you just walk alongside the untravelled road up to the complex. It is something of a white elephant, representing a huge expense from the flush times, now kind of languishing in the recession. Ivar recently posted a thread describing a pilgrim-related exposition up there, free admission to pilgrims. When I was there, there was a really excellent exhibition on the Brazilian tribes living along the Oronoco River, and I enjoyed it with about three other visitors. Some of the buildings are just sitting there empty, and others are fighting for life. The architecture is interesting, though!

Buen camino, Laurie

Wow... Many more suggestions that I'd expected! So glad I asked... And now wishing I maybe had more time to explore.

Thanks very much, everyone. It's been an incredible month, and will end seemingly quite well!

Wow... Many more suggestions that I'd expected! So glad I asked... And now wishing I maybe had more time to explore.

Thanks very much, everyone. It's been an incredible month, and will end seemingly quite well!

+ all in the old town. The Museo do Pobo Galego,10 mins from back of Cathedral (no 16) on the Tourist Office Info map has excellent galleries showing Galician life, artifacts, history, good paintings and an amazing spiral stairway. Nearby is the interesting large gallery of modern art (no.72). For a lovely Spanish menu del dia indoor/outdoor go where the locals and uni students go-Praza de mazarelas-nr (no 40) on the map. A square half way down rua caldeirera has great free tapas bar inside /outside nr (no 71). Enjoy

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Cathedral food top tour, but only is you are not afraid of height sur because you are constantly standing on a slope, pop your head In the old University building on c. De Franco to see free art exhibits and a stunning wooden ceiling. At the market, buy your pulpo on the street or better yet buy your fish and/or seafood from one of the vendors, In the morning, and take it over to one of the booths where they will prepare it for you and have it ready for your lunch at the time you specify. O Dezasies is a very interesting restaurant for meat eaters, you walked passed it when arriving in Santiago, just before going up the last hilly street.

There is a free app I like : Visitabo Santiago, on Itunes. It has itinéraire suggestions, restaurants, musts, etc.

And take a day to go to Muxia and watch the sun set.

Like you I finished early and had 3 days in Santiago before my flight to Madrid. I was alone in March and stayed in a small hotel. Third time to Santiago so decided to play tourist and see some new sights. Here are a few I enjoyed (easy to walk to and minimal time commitment). Bring your credential so you get free or reduced entrance fees.
1. Pilgrimage Museum: Rua de San Miguel 4. Open from 10:00-8:00. Hours may vary on weekend. Five minute walk from cathedral. Small museum in old converted building. It has an interesting exhibit on pilgrimages from around the world and artifacts/pictures from the camino. Clipboards with info in different languages in each room. A nice place to reflect on the thousands of pilgrims that have walked before you.
2. Museo de la Casa de la Troia: Rua da Troia 5. A home that has been decorated in the period of late 1800s. Based on a famous book. It was very interesting to see how families lived during that time period. Hours vary so check their website. It is a few minutes from the cathedral next to the entrance to the Carris Hotel. One of the docents spoke English so I got a personal tour in English and she answered all of my questions.
3. Mercado de Abastos: Rua das Ameas. Open 9-3:00 daily but Sunday. Go early. An interesting farmers market with lots of locals and housed in traditional buildings. Good food too.
4. Cathedral Tours: at entrance to Cathedral you can purchase different tours of the cathedral. Haven't done it yet but hear the roof top tour is great with beautiful views of Santiago.
5. O Curro Da Parro Restaurant: Rua Travesa 20. An amazing atmospheric little restaurant with only 16 seats. Gourmet and a little expensive with only 16 tables. Had early lunch alone with friendly waitress and amazing local food. Of course their are lots of great restaurants with great seafood but this was worth the splurge. Located two streets behind the famous pilgrim's restaurant Casa Manolo.

This is an excellent summarization of "Things To Do" in Santiago. Very practical info Laura.

The Cathedral
The Pilgrim Museum
The Folk Museum!!!!
The open air market up along the city wall - great deals there!
Same thing for restaurants - eat out of the tourist area and get great food and great prices
If you like shopping, go outside old town - lots of great shopping within walking distance out of the tourist area
Take a taxi to Finisterre and Muxia - get 3 other pilgrims and only pay €120 between you - cheaper than the bus!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've tried to get to many of these suggestions. Thank you. The market was my favorite destination!

FYI for current travelers re: Pilgrim Museum- from what I gathered with my limited Spanish, I believe the museum is temporarily closed as it moves to another location (or shifts exhibits, or something like that!) I wasn't able to see it.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back