• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sarria in May

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked this section in early May in 2010. Clearly a lot more pilgrims, and many private albergues booked out, but no problems finding accommodation at junta albergues. If you have walked from further east, the numbers change the nature of the walk for the first day or so as the natural enthusiasm of the new pilgrims is overcome by the realities of walking long distances each day;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked the Camino last May and had no difficulties finding accommodations between Sarria and Santiago. You will see bus loads of larger groups walking together in that section. When I heard a group coming, I just stepped off the trail and let them pass me. They tend to walk very fast and don't carry their backpacks. Then it became peaceful again. In my opinion, the walk from Sarria to Santiago was very beautiful. Take your time and enjoy it. Buen Camino!

A warning concerning the weather - Classically May should be a fabulous month, end of Spring, still plenty of flowers both in the wild and in the village gardens - the past has now become a poor measure witht the climate that is a changing - perfect one year, freezing the next, rain coming down in buckets with the buckets too in another. Be Prepared! said Baden-Powell so be a good scout and expect any and everything.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
caution, may be less busy than the summer, but still, there can be a lot of (mainly foreign) pilgrims (apparently their favourite time of the year along with september); places like sarria can easily be completely booked out (so consider booking ahead if you are not 'roughing' it). weather can be odd, very cold to nice and warm and sunny (but not hot). buen camino!

A warning concerning the weather - Classically May should be a fabulous month, end of Spring, still plenty of flowers both in the wild and in the village gardens - the past has now become a poor measure witht the climate that is a changing - perfect one year, freezing the next, rain coming down in buckets with the buckets too in another. Be Prepared! said Baden-Powell so be a good scout and expect any and everything.
be prepared

At the start of May, the number of pilgrims in Sarria each night is around average for the year as a whole. By the end of May it's up to about 150% of average. This sounds busy, but by Mid-august it's over 250%.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
What about November? I suddenly find myself able to go to the Camino for probably 2 weeks beginning Nov - in what could very well be the only window of opportunity I will ever get. I have followed every story & article that I found about the Camino since first
At the start of May, the number of pilgrims in Sarria each night is around average for the year as a whole. By the end of May it's up to about 150% of average. This sounds busy, but by Mid-august it's over 250%.
reading about it years ago. I will probably do it alone. My big question is whether there'll be enough cheap accommodation still open to give one options as to how far one walks each day. I would really love to go on to Finisterre, and have also read on one of these threads that it's a good idea to add 3 days and start in Villa Franca. I will be travelling there from France. Is there an overnight train option from Paris to the area? E

What about November? I suddenly find myself able to go to the Camino for probably 2 weeks beginning Nov - in what could very well be the only window of opportunity I will ever get. I have followed every story & article that I found about the Camino since first

reading about it years ago. I will probably do it alone. My big question is whether there'll be enough cheap accommodation still open to give one options as to how far one walks each day. I would really love to go on to Finisterre, and have also read on one of these threads that it's a good idea to add 3 days and start in Villa Franca. I will be travelling there from France. Is there an overnight train option from Paris to the area? E
Hi Heather!

November will be very quiet by Sarria's standards, but there will still be pilgrims around on that stretch. To avoid disappointment check about opening dates if there are any places you particularly want to stay in, but if you're not fussy there should be plenty of cheap beds. I'm not sure about Santiago - Finisterre in late autumn. When I walked it a couple of years ago it was a bit earlier (early October) and there were plenty of places open then.

I've no idea about trains from Paris, and flights to Galicia are limited. Vueling don't start flying to Santiago until December, unfortunately, but they do fly to Asturias.

Villafranca would be a good starting point and allow you to see O Cebreiro, which is a highlight. Brierley's guide book suggests that it takes 3 days from Villafranca to Sarria, including walking from Villafranca to O Cebreiro on the first day. I've never done it that way, as it's 30kms with one of the most challenging climbs of the whole Camino right at the end of the day! You might want a shorter first day (maybe stop in Vega de Valcarce) and tackle the climb to O Cebreiro the following morning. You can make up the time in the following 2 days.

Good luck with your preparations. Buen Camino!

Hi Heather!

November will be very quiet by Sarria's standards, but there will still be pilgrims around on that stretch. To avoid disappointment check about opening dates if there are any places you particularly want to stay in, but if you're not fussy there should be plenty of cheap beds. I'm not sure about Santiago - Finisterre in late autumn. When I walked it a couple of years ago it was a bit earlier (early October) and there were plenty of places open then.

I've no idea about trains from Paris, and flights to Galicia are limited. Vueling don't start flying to Santiago until December, unfortunately, but they do fly to Asturias.

Villafranca would be a good starting point and allow you to see O Cebreiro, which is a highlight. Brierley's guide book suggests that it takes 3 days from Villafranca to Sarria, including walking from Villafranca to O Cebreiro on the first day. I've never done it that way, as it's 30kms with one of the most challenging climbs of the whole Camino right at the end of the day! You might want a shorter first day (maybe stop in Vega de Valcarce) and tackle the climb to O Cebreiro the following morning. You can make up the time in the following 2 days.

Hi Tyrrek!
Thanks for replying. Ok so starting at Villafranca sounds right. I'll def take your advice & split the trip to O C. I know next to nothing about the route to Santiago or even which
Hi Heather!

Thanks so much for replying Tyrrek . So it sounds like starting from Villafranca is the right plan. Anyone with any info on options for getting there will be appreciated. I def won't do the walk to O C in 1 day, thanks for that heads up! I know next to nothing about the route at all so don't have any places that I'm planning to stay at - all suggestions welcome. That would give me something to work on & some places to contact. I guess I can enquire about going on to Muxia ? & Finisterre once I get to Santiago & then assess.
I'll look at ordering a guide book tomorrow & look at some maps. Whew! Can it really be possible?
H

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Tyrrek!
Thanks for replying. Ok so starting at Villafranca sounds right. I'll def take your advice & split the trip to O C. I know next to nothing about the route to Santiago or even which

Thanks so much for replying Tyrrek . So it sounds like starting from Villafranca is the right plan. Anyone with any info on options for getting there will be appreciated. I def won't do the walk to O C in 1 day, thanks for that heads up! I know next to nothing about the route at all so don't have any places that I'm planning to stay at - all suggestions welcome. That would give me something to work on & some places to contact. I guess I can enquire about going on to Muxia ? & Finisterre once I get to Santiago & then assess.
I'll look at ordering a guide book tomorrow & look at some maps. Whew! Can it really be possible?
H
PS Thanks for the Buen Camino! Sounds good!

...That would give me something to work on & some places to contact. I guess I can enquire about going on to Muxia ? & Finisterre once I get to Santiago & then assess...
Yep, a guidebook is good to get some ideas and maps, but take the suggested stages as suggestions only. I wouldn't book any accommodation except the night before you start if you're arriving late. It'll just tie you down, and your 'Camino family' might have different plans! The tourist info (almost) opposite the pilgrim office in Santiago should be able to advise which albergues are open between there and Finisterre. Buen Camino again!

Most read last week in this forum

Zubiri was full early yesterday (by 2:30, according to some pilgrims who came to Pamplona today), but Zubiri opened up a municipal building just past the town for some pilgrims to sleep on the...
My friend is trying to figure out bookings/lodging. She started in SJPDP Friday, ended up walking the Winter route to Roncesvalles in one day, only to find no bed so bused back to SJPDP to sleep...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Within the past few hours there have been two stories on local news media reporting that the Guardia Civil have been successful in returning lost passports to pilgrims. One in Najera, the other in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back