• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Seeking details on the Porto's Litoral Way walk

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese coastal litoral from Porto
Good morning.
I’m looking for any information about the litoral way walk from Porto please
Andrew

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you
For the heads up I’m new to this. Plus I’m old not computer savvy.
I’m really interested in the bit from caminha in stead of joining the central route. I want to stick close to the coast
Andrew

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you
I’m really interested in the bit from caminha in stead of joining the central route. I want to stick close to the coast
Andrew

No worries, I might be a bit younger but not much computer savvy either ;).

So what info are you seeking that is not already in a guidebook or on one of the CP threads?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
So what info are you seeking that is not already in a guidebook or on one of the CP threads?
Oh sorry I thought I said. From caminha I would like information about sticking close to the coast before Santiago
Thanks Andrew
I think that Don’s question is asking you for a bit more detail about the information you are looking for. It’s kind of hard to answer a general request for “information.” There is a ton of info here already on the forum about the littoral vs. coastal vs. central. Just plug “littoral” into the search function.

Here’s a forum member who’s walking it now and posting live.

This map lays it all out graphically. I think it’s the best visual for planning, since you can see how the coastal and the littoral weave and criss-cross.

Hope this helps you get started in your search. I haven’t walked the littoral, but there are many here who have and will be happy to help with your questions.

Edited to add: This is one where the spelling might mess up the searching. Caminho Litoral in Portuguese, but we spell it “littoral” in English. So I would use both.

Last edited:
Thanks so much I can now see on the map my direction. From caminha to redondela
Then join the central route. I’ve sent away for the books on the routes
I really appreciate your help
Apologies about confusion

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Apologies about confusion
No apologies — in fact, being confused is one of the main reasons people post on the forum! I do think that map is great, though unfortunately it leaves out a few other wonderful Portuguese caminhos, like the Portuguese part of the Torres and the Geira, but I digress….

And I edited my earlier post to add that you should keep in mind that the spelling of “litoral” is also sometimes appearing as “littoral,” the English spelling. That does make a search more challenging.

No apologies — in fact, being confused is one of the main reasons people post on the forum! I do think that map is great, though unfortunately it leaves out a few other wonderful Portuguese caminhos, like the Portuguese part of the Torres and the Geira, but I digress….

And I edited my earlier post to add that you should keep in mind that the spelling of “litoral” is also sometimes appearing as “littoral,” the English spelling. That does make a search more challenging.
Oh that’s great I’ll check it all out
The more information I get the better
Once I get the books I’ll be able to plan.
Once thanks for your time and help 😀😀😀

I actually switched to the central after 2 days on the littoral (if moderators want to move my "live on the Camino" thread to the central section, please do). The site I found helpful with info about the littoral is the Stingy Nomads

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked out of Porto along the river (keeping it on my left) towards the ocean. You will not see any yellow arrows until Matosinhos. The first couple of days of the Littoral route is quite urban but I quite enjoyed it. From there to Caminha, I walked a blend of the Littoral and Coastal routes. The arrows out of Seixas (after Caminha) lead back up into the forests, apparently that is the original route. My advice is to ignore the arrows and just stay on the river path, a lovely, easy walk. The town of Vila Nova de Cerveira is slightly off route (as in, you need to leave the river path and walk an short distance into the town) but totally worth a stop for coffee & a pastry!
The more reading on forums, and when you receive your guides books, the more it will all make sense. Happy researching and have a wonderful journey.

Thank you
Andrew
At 78 I walked the Spiritual Variant , stuck to the coast all the way . Caminha to Oia , Baiona and onwards . The climb is a challenge from Combaro to Monasteria but still made it ok . Loved the Stone Water walk into Villa de Arousa . Boat trip from here to Padron wonderful .

No worries, I might be a bit younger but not much computer savvy either ;).
I walked from Porto on the Senda Littoral and it was great. Not challenging and right on the Ocean almost the whole way
Only problem is a few areas that aren’t marked very well so have to reroute occasionally

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked out of Porto along the river (keeping it on my left) towards the ocean. You will not see any yellow arrows until Matosinhos. The first couple of days of the Littoral route is quite urban but I quite enjoyed it. From there to Caminha, I walked a blend of the Littoral and Coastal routes. The arrows out of Seixas (after Caminha) lead back up into the forests, apparently that is the original route. My advice is to ignore the arrows and just stay on the river path, a lovely, easy walk. The town of Vila Nova de Cerveira is slightly off route (as in, you need to leave the river path and walk an short distance into the town) but totally worth a stop for coffee & a pastry!
The more reading on forums, and when you receive your guides books, the more it will all make sense. Happy researching and have a wonderful journey.
Fantastic advice thank you so much. Honestly more advice and tips the better 😊😊✊

I walked from Porto on the Senda Littoral and it was great. Not challenging and right on the Ocean almost the whole way
Only problem is a few areas that aren’t marked very well so have to reroute occasionally
Thanks so very much

At 78 I walked the Spiritual Variant , stuck to the coast all the way . Caminha to Oia , Baiona and onwards . The climb is a challenge from Combaro to Monasteria but still made it ok . Loved the Stone Water walk into Villa de Arousa . Boat trip from here to Padron wonderful .
Thanks Garry
I’m really liking the look of your walk especially the boat to pardon. Wee question is that allowed the boat trip?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks Garry
I’m really liking the look of your walk especially the boat to pardon. Wee question is that allowed the boat trip?
Yes all good with the boat trip allowed. We were so fortunate to have some 60 if us a short stop at a Mussels Farm for 2 dozen each and a free bottle of local white wine . A fun 1 and 1/2 hours followed on the boat to Padron.

Hi I have a garmin gps is there a gps route I can download. For the litoral route
Regards Andrew

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back