• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sending pack ahead...

neutra

Sorry in advance because I'm sure this has been covered but... Can someone explain how the system of sending your pack ahead works and how much it costs? Also, do you feel it's safe? Thanks!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I walked last year, every refugio I stayed at would arrange for a backpack forwarding service to collect and deliver to the nominated refugio. This is very common and I have forgotten the names of the companies that did this, as I did not use the service. On arrival at a refugio tell them that you want your pack forwarded on the next day and the hospitelero will arrange. The cost was 7.50 Euros but I do not know how far this would take your pack, but certainly it does for the next walking stage. The pack will be waiting for you on arrival at your nominated refugio. BEWARE that this does NOT guarantee you a bed at your nominated refugio. Hope this helps.

Here is one service:

http://www.jacotrans.com/

Only some accommodations will accept backpacks. The transportation services know them, and often have printed lists from which you can select. The hospitalero will make the arrangements for you. Just ask when you check in. The list will not include municipal and parochial refuges.

I have not heard of security problems, but I know of several cases of misdirected packs. In one case it took the couple three days to get their packs back, still with contents intact.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sending packs ahead is very safe. Jacotrans is one company that you could use, or you might want to try CaminoFacil. http://www.caminofacil.net contacto@caminofacil.net
Most charge from €5 to €7 per bag - not more than 12kg - per stage, which is up to 25km. In Galicia, the company to use is Xacotrans who only charge €3 per bag per stage.
Of course you need to have a place booked ahead to send the bag to. You will be asked to put the money in an envelope or give it to the landlord. Most companies collect bags from 8am and they are delivered before 2pm.

Sillydoll: Can the backpacks be send to an albergue? or only to private pensions etc.? Seeing we can't make reservations at albergues, what do you mean by your statement?
Also, on a different topic, could you tell me the size of a pilgrim passport?
Thanks!!

Ellen

Hello Ellen,
There are four different kinds of pilgrim albergues on the Camino. Those run by the church (mostly 'dovativo - for a donation); those run by the municipality; some run by confraternities or other organisations (Confraternity of St James, Order of Malta etc) - these are also usually donativo; and then there are a large number of albergues run by private individuals. Some of the private albergues are not-for-profit as such whilst others are commercial enterprises.
The private albergues are not necessarily more up-market than the church albergues. Some are very rustic.
The donativo, church, confraternity run etc usually don't accept backpacks delivered by transport and you can't book rooms ahead. (If the volunteers only arrive there in the afternoon there would be nobody to accept the packs anyway.)

The majority of private albergues can be booked ahead and they have no problem with backpacks arriving by transport. You can download a brochure with a full list of private albergues on this website:
http://www.redalberguessantiago.com/ind ... Itemid=268

The Spanish Credencial is a small - 15cm X 8cm - printed card folded concertina style.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Sillydoll: Thank you so much for your explanation re albergues on the camino. I have been able to print 2 pages of this list, unable to print the rest (so far), will figure it out. Handy to have! I will send my pack to Orisson from a hotel in SJPdP, that much I know! If one arrives at the albergue around 2 or 3, will that give enough time to notify the carriers? (Less than 24 hours).
Thanks again.

Ellen

Blackdog - it is a good list - but Ellen might be confused by private and traditional albergues.She needs a list of the private albergues only.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.