• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Senior Thesis Research on Pilgrim Motivation(s)

harrowsm

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi, all!

My name is Hanna and I am a Biology/Spanish double major from Nebraska. I have spent my junior year abroad in Vigo, Spain, and recently received funding from my university to conduct research about pilgrims' motivations for the Camino de Santiago. I finished my Camino - Roncesvalles to Pamplona/Sarria to Santiago - as of Friday. I was able to have many meaningful conversations with the pilgrims I met, but I am still eager for more information and experiences. The more information the better, right? If any of you who read this are interested in taking a few minutes to complete an online survey, I would be so incredibly thankful.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dSkibUi7ZW-PpLvKlhI4L36uD5PrCGsN0aqGvm2OQZ8/edit

May you all have a buen camino,
Hanna

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, all!

My name is Hanna and I am a Biology/Spanish double major from Nebraska. I have spent my junior year abroad in Vigo, Spain, and recently received funding from my university to conduct research about pilgrims' motivations for the Camino de Santiago. I finished my Camino - Roncesvalles to Pamplona/Sarria to Santiago - as of Friday. I was able to have many meaningful conversations with the pilgrims I met, but I am still eager for more information and experiences. The more information the better, right? If any of you who read this are interested in taking a few minutes to complete an online survey, I would be so incredibly thankful.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1dSkibUi7ZW-PpLvKlhI4L36uD5PrCGsN0aqGvm2OQZ8/edit

Hanna
You should allow multiple responses for some of the questions, such as "how did you prepare for the Camino?"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I found your survey a little disappointing I cannot see how it can test or support any thesis. For those who have walked multiple camino routes over many years and with varying motivations the possible replies were restrictive. You seem to be seeking the motivations of those who walk as a one-off adventure rather than those who walk again and again. That perhaps was not your intention but it will skew your survey results quite seriously.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Which of my caminos would you like me to use as a starting point?

What Tincatinker said!

Done, but most of the questions need multiple answers and the survey allows only for one response.

Last edited:
Hi, all!

Hanna
I love this survey and will complete it in July after I am done with the Camino Portugese.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I found your survey a little disappointing I cannot see how it can test or support any thesis. For those who have walked multiple camino routes over many years and with varying motivations the possible replies were restrictive. You seem to be seeking the motivations of those who walk as a one-off adventure rather than those who walk again and again. That perhaps was not your intention but it will skew your survey results quite seriously.

Thank you so much for your input. It was something I considered when creating the questionnaire, but I wasn't sure whether or not to include it. My apologies if it seemed confusing at times.

Despite the availability to include multiple answers on certain questions, I am still curious to hear about individuals' experiences/overall motivations, so if there is anything you would like to share, I would love to hear it!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Done, but most of the questions need multiple answers and the survey allows only for one response.

My apologies for that. With limited funding and resources, it was difficult to find an outlet where everyone could likely input their information...I had to make some sacrifices with the multiple answers for multiple choice questions, unfortunately.

However, if you have any extra information about your camino(s), I would love to hear!

Thank you all so much for your feedback and advice.

I am aware of the unavailability of the multiple answers for the questions. It was an unfortunate sacrifice I had to make to create an easily-accessible survey.

If any of you have any more questions, comments, or would like to openly talk about you experiences, I am all ears!...exactly why I created this little thread. :)

----

With that being said, for those of you that continuously choose to do the Camino, why do you?

Is it for adventure? Peace? The Solitude?

After completing mine, I was overwhelmed with emotion the second I set foot into the cathedral's plaza. Perhaps my experience is different, because I am very religious and spiritual and I am a student here in Galicia, so I have a deep relation with the culture, but do you find that overwhelming connection and emotion each time you complete your Camino? Have you found that there are varying outcomes?

I cried both times,! And, when in the cathedral, coughing during a regular service, A local woman tapped me on the shoulder from behind, and gave me a handful of cough candies!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back