Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Published on Amazon
Guide to the 16 main caminos with maps, pictures, hyperlinks and other information.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Services provided by hospitaleros

Lirsy

Year of past OR future Camino
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
Hi!

I am right now in an albergue as hospitalero.

It really surprise me how few pilgrims use the services that the hospitaleros can provide.

In my opinion, it is a little shocking that almost no any pilgrim ask about which are the difficulties in the next stages, wich could be the adventages or disadvantages of finalizing the next stage in one town or in another, interesting monuments, history, etc.

If you count with experienced free advisors, it looks to me a little crazy not to use them.

I am referring more to volunteer hospitaleros (that must be pilgrims before becoming hospitaleros) than to comercial hospitaleros.

By the way .... Please reduce the weight of your backpacks! You wouldn't believe what backpacks I have seen here!:eek:

Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.
Lirsy, I am sure that you are making the most of this opportunity to 'give something back' to the Camino in your Hospitalero service. I see that you are from Asturias, and so you are probably very well informed about the geography, history and architecture, culture etc. Try not to be disappointed. It is important to be ready to respond, but not to insist on what pilgrims ought to want to know. You are not a pilgrim when you are a Hospitalero. Your place is different. if you have a shared meal, that is where you might take an initiative, encouraging pilgrims to share their good experiences, or their immediate plans for the next day...

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Lirsy

I agree with all what you said.

I am just meaning that being here and the pilgrims knowing that you can provide them information, they do not use that facility.

For sure I don't consider convenient to try to press the pilgrims with information that may want or not. In that, they have to take the initiative.

Unfortunately in this albergue, being a quite large albergue, there is not any pilgrims dinner.:confused: anyhow, time by time, I prepare a queimada! ;)

Lirsy, glad to see your response. And of course you know how to be a Hospitalero, otherwise you would not be there! I am sure the queimada is MUCH appreciated!

CF- Finisterre-Muxia 03/17; Camino SK 10/17; Norte 03/18; Ingles 11/18; Augusta 03/19
I have really appreciated volunteer hospitaleros and always try to talk with them and thank them for taking time from their lives to provide this service. I mention a few: the Dutch volunteer seniors at a Roncevalles March 20, 2017 (washed, dried, folded my laundry with much care), Marc a French volunteer at Cazadilla de Los Hermanillos (CF 2017) who drew by hand a map of the village showing the market, church, etc, called the mayor tomopen the church for us and also the town grocer to open his store and provided info on the route out of town; Roberto at the Pola de Siero municipal (on the Primitive Camino before Oviedo) March 2018 who also drew a variant route map to Oviedo for pilgrims which proved to be a very delightful stage. Personally as a 60year old, I find in general that the young pilgrims (20-35 year olds) usually rely on themselves and rarely think that we older pilgrims have anything to offer Them. That’s just my personal experience

Lirsy

As a final reflection and following my previous comments on this topic:

It is curious that the pilgrims who speak more to you, ask more questions, seek more for advice, etc. are the experienced pilgrims! The end result is that they taught me many things. Probably many more things than what I taught them!

Now the organization asked me to go for some days to the albergue in Trabadelo (21/05 to 07/06) ... I have to take care not to become a professional hospitalero!! ;)

2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Isca-camigo

Veteran Member
Various ones.
Unfortunately in this albergue, being a quite large albergue, there is not any pilgrims dinner.:confused: anyhow, time by time, I prepare a queimada! ;)

I am sure little by little Queimada is becoming the unofficial drink of Caminos in Spain and Portugal, I have seen it offered many times over the years but it seems that everyone is looking for it now.

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads