• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Shall I have a problem?

Botaivica

Time of past OR future Camino
May - July 2016
SJPP - Santiago - Finisterra
May 2017
Caminho do Tejo
June 2017
Fatima - Santiago
We all have some habits, me to. :)
Latest 30 years I take a shower in the morning. Sometimes at evening but always in the morning. I see here that the morning is not a good time for a shower.
Shall I have a problem with that?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Will be ok Botaivica! After X-amount of kilometres you will be more than happy to shower and freshen up after finishing the walk for the day. Also in the morning people will be busy getting ready so it is less practical to shower then.
And to harden the soles of your feet it is recommended to shower in the afternoon/ evening. Just my humble opinion though.

It will be fine!

I think most shower in the afternoon, and as Sabine mentioned, pilgrims are ready by then to wash off dust and either cool off or warm up...so I don't think many will be in line for an am shower (although as one of those infernal early risers I can't say for sure).
That said, quite a few places want you out fairly early in the am so they can turn over beds an clean for the next group. Those who curse early risers may not appreciate the shower running but I'll let them speak to that ;)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
part of being a pilgrim is being very flexible, changing with circumstances. You will be surprised how easily you shed old habits you thought were part of your character, once you slip into pilgrim gear. But you might find your morning shower fits perfectly well into your way of making the day... no reason not to try, if that suits you. And you might be a lot more lucky with getting HOT water that way.

Latest 30 years I take a shower in the morning. Sometimes at evening but always in the morning. I see here that the morning is not a good time for a shower.
Hi Botaivica, I don’t think so. You have to try it and find out yourself if it's o.k.
Wish you well, Peter.

Will be ok Botaivica! After X-amount of kilometres you will be more than happy to shower and freshen up after finishing the walk for the day. Also in the morning people will be busy getting ready so it is less practical to shower then.
And to harden the soles of your feet it is recommended to shower in the afternoon/ evening. Just my humble opinion though.

It will be fine!
Hi SabineP :)
I know that the completion of walks seeks recovery of my legs, so I can pour them into a washbowl with a pinch of salt and stay such half an hour ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
part of being a pilgrim is being very flexible, changing with circumstances. You will be surprised how easily you shed old habits you thought were part of your character, once you slip into pilgrim gear. But you might find your morning shower fits perfectly well into your way of making the day... no reason not to try, if that suits you. And you might be a lot more lucky with getting HOT water that way.
Hi Rebekah Scott :)

with my habits I do not want disturb other pilgrims. So I think to stay last in albergues and then take a shower. However, when you mention hot water, if I stay last then not be hot water. :confused:
I understand that Camino will be something totally new in my life and habits can be changed, under such circumstances.
Even I'm 65 I'm ready for it ;)

I have the same showering habits, as do many people I'm sure.

Just a little change of habit for the Camino ;)
Damp feet are not good in the mornings! (one of the factors that can lead to blisters according to the old hands)
And you'll probably get fairly sweaty soon after you start walking anyway !

Hola Botaivica, I managed to do without my usual shower in the morning while on the Camino, but could not do without morning coffee. Mmmm...cafe con leche! Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Like you, I was very concerned about getting through my Camino days without having my morning shower. Three months prior to my Camino, I mentioned this to my daughter and, much to my surprise, she suggested I stop using soap when I showered ............. If you would please bear with me here.............My daughter explained that soap tends to dry out our skin. Our skin, in order to compensate for the dryness, produces more oil, which in turn makes us feel the need of a shower. And a vicious cycle ensues.

I took my daughter's advice and, well before my Camino, instead of soap I began using a terry washcloth just to exfoliate my skin (Of course, I reserve the right to use shampoo for my hair and - apologies if this is too much information - soap for the nether regions.) Once I got my skin producing less oil, my need for that morning shower was reduced. I'm just putting forth this method as it helped me get through my Camino days with just the afternoon shower. I admit that it takes some time for one's skin to adjust to no soap, so my suggestion is to start this method several weeks prior to. By all means, in the meantime continue to have your morning shower.....this 'no soap technique' is just so that when you start your Camino and have to switch your routine from a morning shower to an afternoon shower, you may find it easier to do. (I too, used to have two showers a day but, since using this 'no soap technique' I can manage easily on one a day.)

Aside from all that, a vigorous scrub with a good washcloth has wonderful restorative qualities. Try it sometime!

Hope this helps, and Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am an early riser and I would take a shower whenever I wanted and it was no problem. I did usually shower in the evening because of road dirt, but I would also grab a quick wake up shower in the am sometimes.

I am an early riser and I would take a shower whenever I wanted and it was no problem. I did usually shower in the evening because of road dirt, but I would also grab a quick wake up shower in the am sometimes.
:D The one time I tried to have a quick wake up shower (and to warm up), there was no hot water!

Depends were you stay, it shouldn't be a problem but better at end of day. You want dry feet not softened by a shower and a dry towel for the afternoon, if it's raining how will you dry your towel. If it's a chilly morning then a shower will cool you more and your body will take longer to warm up.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am a morning shower person too, but on the Camino I wasn't. One, you need to get clean after walking all day and to keep your sleeping bag clean, two, you need to have your dirty clothing to wash since most of us just have 1 or 2 extra outfits, and three, those that shower in the morning make the floors all wet. Many of the showers aren't set up that well and tend to make the whole bathroom area wet. Not so nice for everyone trying to get ready in the morning.

I am a morning shower person too, but on the Camino I wasn't. One, you need to get clean after walking all day and to keep your sleeping bag clean, two, you need to have your dirty clothing to wash since most of us just have 1 or 2 extra outfits, and three, those that shower in the morning make the floors all wet. Many of the showers aren't set up that well and tend to make the whole bathroom area wet. Not so nice for everyone trying to get ready in the morning.
I really liked your observation about the wet floors and completely agree. And your right. Go to your sleeping bag clean as their really difficult to clean if not impossible

At home I shower at night and in the morning as well. It helps me wake up, and relaxes my neck and back muscles before beginning the day. On the camino, I often had an opportunity for a morning shower. It wasn't a problem in most of the albergues, particularly the private ones which I tended to use.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Now far be it from me to put a downer on the afternoon/morning shower decision, but that's the least of your worries. Here's a little note from one of my emails home....
"Today, my innocent little children, I shall tell you all about lights and showers. A little education is a fine thing, and I'm sure your lives will be improved by the knowledge that, in Spain, bathroom attendance in any shape or form is expected to be brief. Going to the loo is like heading for Hades, just as dark and eventful, if not always as hot. The rooms are always situated in pseudo cupboards, always windowless, occasionally sans toilet paper, and, just as you begin to settle in comfortably, the lights go out, plunging you into a state of panic as you realise you forgot to take note of the light switch location, usually just out of reach on the far wall. After a little frantic blindman fumbling, reoriented, you settle in again, only for the same thing to happen 30 seconds later, and 30 seconds after that...... Just don't bother taking a newspaper.
The shower, on the other hand, is a more refined form of torture. You strip off, look for a non existing dry spot to put your things, push a little button, and cold water issues forth. You look for a way of adding hot water, but this takes place without your input, so you leap out to avoid being scalded. Coward! There is no need, for now we have cold water again. And then the shower stops. You press the button again, and we're back to stage one. You soap up, the shower stops..... And then the lights go out......"

Depends were you stay, it shouldn't be a problem but better at end of day. You want dry feet not softened by a shower and a dry towel for the afternoon, if it's raining how will you dry your towel. If it's a chilly morning then a shower will cool you more and your body will take longer to warm up.
Hi Hugh Hertfordshire :)

morning shower awaken and refreshed me, gives me power for the rest of the day. Afternoon shower clean me and prepare for sleep.
For beginning I think I take shower two time of the day :cool:
And about hot and cool water, I start my shower with hot and finish with cool water, so my body is ready to start walk in cold drive ;)

Bota

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Like you, I was very concerned about getting through my Camino days without having my morning shower. Three months prior to my Camino, I mentioned this to my daughter and, much to my surprise, she suggested I stop using soap when I showered ............. If you would please bear with me here.............My daughter explained that soap tends to dry out our skin. Our skin, in order to compensate for the dryness, produces more oil, which in turn makes us feel the need of a shower. And a vicious cycle ensues.

I took my daughter's advice and, well before my Camino, instead of soap I began using a terry washcloth just to exfoliate my skin (Of course, I reserve the right to use shampoo for my hair and - apologies if this is too much information - soap for the nether regions.) Once I got my skin producing less oil, my need for that morning shower was reduced. I'm just putting forth this method as it helped me get through my Camino days with just the afternoon shower. I admit that it takes some time for one's skin to adjust to no soap, so my suggestion is to start this method several weeks prior to. By all means, in the meantime continue to have your morning shower.....this 'no soap technique' is just so that when you start your Camino and have to switch your routine from a morning shower to an afternoon shower, you may find it easier to do. (I too, used to have two showers a day but, since using this 'no soap technique' I can manage easily on one a day.)

Aside from all that, a vigorous scrub with a good washcloth has wonderful restorative qualities. Try it sometime!

Hope this helps, and Buen Camino.
Hi Icacos :)

about soap, my friend made soap with lavender and grinded olives pitted, great for peeling, and I take it on Camino.

And I already buy travel towel which dries quickly. I hope that they will not let me down. I paid him € 15 :cool:

Bota

I knew some fellow pilgrims who had showers in the morning...Who says you can't? You may change your habits though whilst 'camino-ing', who can tell? :)

I never shower in the morning when walking because it 'softens' my feet and makes them more likely to get blisters.

Most albergues have a rule " no showers in the morning" and strictly enforced.

Where did you get this information from? On all my Caminos I never came across this rule.

Buen Camino, SY

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I never shower in the morning when walking because it 'softens' my feet and makes them more likely to get blisters.

Where did you get this information from? On all my Caminos I never came across this rule.

Buen Camino, SY

Yeah ... Never heard this or saw a sign. It's only a shower, the water may be cold but no ones going to stop you

Now far be it from me to put a downer on the afternoon/morning shower decision, but that's the least of your worries. Here's a little note from one of my emails home....
"Today, my innocent little children, I shall tell you all about lights and showers. A little education is a fine thing, and I'm sure your lives will be improved by the knowledge that, in Spain, bathroom attendance in any shape or form is expected to be brief. Going to the loo is like heading for Hades, just as dark and eventful, if not always as hot. The rooms are always situated in pseudo cupboards, always windowless, occasionally sans toilet paper, and, just as you begin to settle in comfortably, the lights go out, plunging you into a state of panic as you realise you forgot to take note of the light switch location, usually just out of reach on the far wall. After a little frantic blindman fumbling, reoriented, you settle in again, only for the same thing to happen 30 seconds later, and 30 seconds after that...... Just don't bother taking a newspaper.
The shower, on the other hand, is a more refined form of torture. You strip off, look for a non existing dry spot to put your things, push a little button, and cold water issues forth. You look for a way of adding hot water, but this takes place without your input, so you leap out to avoid being scalded. Coward! There is no need, for now we have cold water again. And then the shower stops. You press the button again, and we're back to stage one. You soap up, the shower stops..... And then the lights go out......"
Hi Kiwi-d:)

wonderful, please give us more :)

Bota

It does make more sense to clean yourself at the end of the day. Before showers appeared, an evening bath was the norm. It still mostly is for children I think. Just a random thought.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My goodness, why such a harsh tone with the OP! He was merely inquiring about the availability of morning showers, and I don't think there was any indication of his not taking an afternoon shower, in addition to. Why are we talking of putting clean clothes on a dirty body, or a stinking body into a sleeping bag? :confused: Sorry, but I find we're imaging a problem that has never existed. And I come to the defence of the OP. :) :) :)

I've deleted some posts. Well said @Icacos - we don't need personal attacks.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I generally take my showers in the morning too, but on the Camino, an afternoon shower made the most sense. Mostly it was about getting clean after walking all day and then making sure my feet and towels were nice and dry for the morning. From a practical perspective, its just easier to get up and out of the albergue in the morning without taking a shower. People may arrive at different times, but people generally leave around the same time - within an hour or so of each other, so if people shower in the morning, there would be long waits to shower.

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back