• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I bring a sleeping bag

EveE

Time of past OR future Camino
First Camino start date = 4th June 2023
Hi everyone, please can you advise if it would be best to bring a sleeping bag with me for my Camino? I’m not camping, but do all albergues provide/offer blankets? I’m just thinking about the weight of my backpack.

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone, please can you advise if it would be best to bring a sleeping bag with me for my Camino? I’m not camping, but do all albergues provide/offer blankets? I’m just thinking about the weight of my backpack.

Thanks!
Albergues don't all have blankets and even fewer have sheets. Summer a sleeping bag liner might do, but the other seasons you will want a lightweight 3 seasons bag. If you are staying in private rooms you will get full bedding.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you are staying in all private rooms - you may not need it. But if you are staying in albergues, not all provide bedding and/or blankets. Those that offer blankets - they are not frequently washed.

I always bring a silk liner and a lightweight - summer temperature rated down sleeping bag. The lightest that I can afford (some are quite expensive). Some come in quilt form - but are often more expensive (not always).

Whether you need both depends on how you sleep when it is cold. Are you a warm sleeper or cold sleeper? Even in summer - there can be some nights that are uncomfortably cold. It was unseasonably cold for almost my entire June/July 2021 Camino. The following year I needed it less often - but there were days I still needed it. You can also wear your warm layers to sleep but I usually still need a blanket or sleeping bag myself. When it is too warm - I just use the silk liner.

Nothing worse than being too cold to sleep when you are exhausted.

It is still really cold at night & mornings. It is nice to have your own personal sleeping bag to snuggle into. Toss one of the albergue blankets on top if needed. Most are scratchy, fuzzy things that I would not want to snuggle into at all.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks!
Hi Eve
I have walked 5 times in April, May. June, July, September and October. I have only ever taken a sleeping bag line. The alberques have always provided blankets on the very few occasions I have needed them.
Buen Camino
Vince,

I'm 9 days in.
I brought a 500g (1 lb) down bag.
I have used it once or twice and could have used an albergue blanket instead. I also could have used my jacket as a mediocre blanket.

I tend to sleep cool but the albergues have all been ~70° at night, so far.

I do have a silk liner, highly recommended.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm 9 days in.
I brought a 500g (1 lb) down bag.
I have used it once or twice and could have used an albergue blanket instead. I also could have used my jacket as a mediocre blanket.

I tend to sleep cool but the albergues have all been ~70° at night, so far.

I do have a silk liner, highly recommended.
Fab, thank you!

I have a down sleeping bag and liner in a 8l stuff sack that compresses to half size, total weight 34.8 oz. (warm down to 32F, 0C) It's all treated with permethrin before I go to insure any bedbugs die so no risk of brings them home. REI has camping gear on sale every spring. The entire investment was under $200. This seems to be a nobrainer. The OR is spot on! Surely it is not too much asking folks to carry something seasonally appropriate.

I'm rather surprised any of the albergues have blankets. It sounds like a lot of work taken for granted until there is a shortage at which time it becomes an issue for those unprepared as well as a headache and concern for the kind volunteers.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first response was from a hospitalera in donativo albergues. She/they ( a married couple) know what they are talking about. Buen camino. I see you were about to begin on 4th June. And? Many members read all sorts of posts eagerly, specially if their circumstances do not allow them to actually set out on camino. How was it/is it?

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.