• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Should I do it?

Well folks,

I am literally new to this forum, by less than 5 minutes, at time of writing. So here is my introduction, and my first question.

I use to walk life's road with Christ. Somewhere, somehow, I wandered away from him. Too afraid to admit this to the people in my life, I continued with my weekly mass and worked up through the ranks of a Christian youth organisation, to become their leader. I never strayed from the teachings of the Church when I spoke to the youth. Only a year ago I heard about the Camino. I instantly wanted to do it, and I have never felt so compelled to do anything, in all my life. I have studied maps, read guides, read books, researched the gear I needed, even down to making a list of exactly what I needed, where to get it, and how much to spend. I decided less than 3 months ago that I was fooling myself, and that I would not be doing the walk anytime soon,esp not in March like I claimed I would.

However I was made redundant, just before Christmas and my role as Director of my youth organisation ends on the 1st of January. My redundancy packet will easily see me through until March, and my savings will pay for the trip.

I am 23 years old, 7 stone 13 and I struggle to put on weight, and have a long term partner at home, that would be too ill to join me. Is it realistic to think, that maybe, just maybe, my redundancy was an invite from Jesus, to come and walk with him again? Though I do very little in the way of trekking, is it realistic that I could do the walk in March? Basically, my questions are

Could I be ready for March / Does it take much training? (I want to do the whole 800km of the Camino Frances)
Should I do it in March? (Considering my weight issues and my partner)

Any advice is welcome.

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost.

Is Mise

CrĂ­ostĂłir MacAodha

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi CrĂ­ostĂłir,

Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear that you have been made redundant, may the good Lord give you all the strength and courage that you will need over the coming time.

Thanks for your really open and honest introduction of yourself.. Your desire to do the camino is deep and therefore I would encourage you to do it.

You mention your desire to do do the whole camino and also a partner who is too sick to do it. I just pose the question, is your partner well enough to be left alone for several weeks? You yourself can obviously answer that.

In 2007 I planned doing the whole Camino but when my brother-in-law died I felt that I could not leave my husband on his own for the six weeks it would have taken me, he was suffering from depression, and so I went for only one week, and then finished it in subsequent years.

Cost is another question, and the wisdom of spending ones redundancy money. Along the Camino itself one can manage quite economically if one takes care. This year I spent €1.200 over a five week period and this included staying several times in private places and taking taxies after I had had a fall and also eating out all the time,except when I stayed in donativo albergues who served a meal and I always gave €20.00 there and felt I got very good value for my money.

Hi CrĂ­ostĂłir,
Me again.
The one thing that can eat up money is your travel expenses to and from the Camino. So the quicker you make up your mind and book your tickets the cheaper you will get them. I booked in November and got flight Dublin to Biarritz and flight home from Bilbao, plus rucksack in hold each time because I carry walking sticks, for just under €115 .00. However since then flights have gone up.
Ryanair have a direct flight Dublin to Biarritz but it does not begin until April. But there is still great value This would be your cheapest option if you hope to start from ST. Jean Pied do Port.

There is absolutely no reason why you would not be fit enough in a matter of weeks if you just go out and walk each day.
If you have not boots already get them soon so they will be well walked it. Don't scrimp on the price of boots. Go somewhere where they will measure your feet both length and width and advise you which are the best for you.
Sorry I sound like a granny giving advice, and surethat is exactly what I am.!!!

CrĂ­ostĂłir, Learn some Spanish. It weighs nothing, makes life easier and far more fun and enriches the whole experience.

May the road rise before you and wind be at your back and May God hold you in the hollow of his hand.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi again Christopher,
I apologise - I hadn't read your intro before reading your post on socks. Now we know that you haven't bought boots or shoes yet and that you want to walk when it is fairly cold (it can be cold in the high places right to the middle of June).
Chris, the Universe works in mysterious ways and if you feel called to walk el Camino then go and walk it.
Plan on taking your time though. You won't be that far from home that you can't go back if you are needed at short notice.
bendigáis.

Hola CrĂ­ostĂłir

I would echo the sage advice already given. You can do this if you are moved to. You will be sufficiently fit and ready with some preparation. Ask any questions you may have and users of the forum will try to answer them from their own experience and knowledge. Making the assumption that you are Ireland based you may also care to have a look at:

Irish Society of the Friends of St.James
Cumann Cáirde San Séamus i nÉirinn
http://www.stjamesirl.com/

Let us know how you get on.

John

Hola CrĂ­ostĂłir,

it seems to me that if you are experiencing a strong call to walk the Camino, then walk the Camino with the opportunity you have. For me, when I walked from Valencia a few years ago, it was one of the best and one of the hardest things I have done. It has the potential to be life-changing. Building up to it for me was deeply scary and in the first week, if I could have run away with no one noticing, I would have done. But it was such a profound and deep and lovely experience.

Spend some time reading this forum and perhaps some of the blog stories. Do some walking practice with your pack before you go. See if you can learn a little Spanish. And don't worry - give it a go. If we can help with any questions, please ask, and let us know how you got on.

Buen Camino

Andy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Christopher again. I am convinced that you can walk the Camino. This is an opportunity that not many people are given and you should not miss, because as Andy has written, it can be a life changing experience. I liken the Camino to a long meditation, during which you will be walking by yourself for some time and during which you will do much thinking about your life, your beliefs and the future. And when you tire of being by yourself, there are always others that you can walk with for company. This will be an opportunity to get to know yourself, which is the first step to making any changes in your life.
Do not expect to walk 800 kms in in March alone, which is an average of 27 kms every day. Start slowly, such as stopping at Orisson the first night after St Jean, and slowly increase distances.
Everyone who has replied to your post has written so sensibly and wisely. David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi CrĂ­ostĂłir,

I admire how you are turning the disappointment of redundancy into an opportunity to walk the Camino. This forum, as I'm sure you're discovering, is a wealth of information about training, packing and preparing.

In terms of time - I started training about two months before I was due to depart for the Camino and managed to walk to Leon before returning to Ireland due to prior commitments. Like yourself, I'd intended to walk all the way to Santiago but while on the Camino, my plans changed and I decided to walk slower and enjoy more of the landscape.

My advice is to start preparing but leave your plans flexible enough to adapt to changing circumstances.

Lydia!! The enrollment for classes in Spanish, at my local college is just around the corner. I will be enrolling. My partner has Chronic Fatigue. It is nothing serious (in a life threating sense) and she lives at home with her family. I know I will miss her, she is my rock. So where as she will not "need" me, it may just be unpleasant for her. I don't know, maybe people won't understand why I thought it important to mention, but for me she will be a really big part of my considerations. (Sorry that was rather long winded, wasn't it?). Thank you so much for mentioning the costs of getting there. I hadn't really factored it into my current financial situation. Futhermore, thank you so much for the "Granny" advice. I will need it.

Sillydoll!! No need to apologise. I replied in the other post about my walking boots/shoes, but I'll throw it in here any way. I have shoes, cause I went interailing a few years back and bought a pair then. Since then, I only wear walking shoes. However with my Job redundancy (I work with an outdoor company) I will be recieving a free pair of, properly fitted, walking boots. I will have them in a few days, so I will get them "broken" in.

Johnnie!! I am Irish. That link is great, thank you very much.

Andy!! Thank you. I have been reading this forum for a while, but since I had given up hope of doing the walk, I never joined. I must say, silly as it seems, joining this forum are my first real camino steps. Thanks for the advice, again I never would have thought about bringing my pack for practise walks.

Camino David!! I have made my discion. I am going to do it. Very few people are awarded a month off from employment, but as I am unemployed, if it takes a little longer, I may be able to afford it. If not, I will return and finish it :)

a pilgrim!! What Can I say. Thank you.

David!! Fear. You may have hit the nail on the head, as the saying goes. I have no doubts about this walk. It is merely fear.

dazzamac Where in Ireland? I will be taking my time, as life allows it. One way or another, I have decided, be it this year or not, I will complete the Camino in my life.

Everyone, thank you very much. I will not reply to everyone personally in all posts, don't worry. this is merely a personal post for me, and I wanted to thank you all. So I guess it starts here. Where did I put that guide book...

Go raibh maith agat, do chara trid Criost.

Is Mise

CrĂ­ostĂłir MacAodha

Hi CrĂ­ostĂłir.

I was going to join the raft of others in saying DO IT, but I see you've decided to. Hurray! The Camino is a tremendously inspiring, miraculous place, and there's a reason things are unfolding the way they are for you. I walked the last 109km of the Via de la Plata in October 2009 as part of a press trip (I'm a writer) and felt compelled to create a guidebook on it. But I resisted, since they're a pain to do and I had no connections with publishers (I mainly write for magazines, newspapers and the web). Then six months later a publisher of iPhone apps contacted ME to create one, and said I should do it on something that had caught my passion. I knew right away I'd accept, and do one on the VDLP, which I just did. I still think there's something more in my future connected with the Camino, but I don't know exactly what yet. But I know I'll be back!

Anyway, I know you'll love however much of it you do. Buen Camino!

Melanie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi CrĂ­ostĂłir...as you can already see, you are now one with the Forum and the Class of 2012!

You now personify one of the oldest adages concerning opportunity:

“When one door closes, another door opens”

This is your opportunity and your Camino. Remain open to all as you walk the Way.

Buen Camino
Arn

What great encouraging comments to all of us who are still hesitant / fearful about walking the camino.

Especially David's comments which I've read in a number of forum topic lists always seem just perfect for a "pre-pilgrim's" need - are you some sort of angel, David? :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back