• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag in February-March?

Time of past OR future Camino
Via Podiensis and Camino Frances 2023
Hello!
My husband and I are walking from Almería starting mid-February, and were wondering if it’s necessary to pack a sleeping bag. We’ve done other Caminos but always in warmer months and on more highly traveled trails where almost every place has blankets.

I really try to keep the weight of my pack around 5kg due to previous injuries, so not having one would be really helpful 😬

Thanks for your help!
Laura

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would say yes, or at least a quilt. Even if it is warm down south (if), as you head north towards Santiago it will get colder and it will still be late spring when you get there. And you can´t always rely on there being blankets nowadays.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would say yes, or at least a quilt. Even if it is warm down south (if), as you head north towards Santiago it will get colder and it will still be late spring when you get there. And you can´t always rely on there being blankets nowadays.
Thank you!

You will need one. Starting out with temperatures in the mid to high 30s on the VdlP last April I was questioning bringing a sleeping bag and not just a liner. I was very glad of it (and a beanie) by the time I made it to Baños de Montemayor. Not every albergue has heating or if it does it’s not always efficient. Many don’t have blankets.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you walking the full way?

I'm approaching Cordoba and so far everywhere had blankets and heating. A sheet or liner would be sufficient.
Also, as there are 2 of you you might prefer private accommodation where available and typically they'll have blankets and heating.

Beyond Cordoba i can't advise but I'm sure the weather will be worse and places where you'll have no option other than an albergue without heat. I read about a stage with no albergue where someone slept outdoors rather than a really long stage.

I reckon booking in advance would be the best option to get reasonably priced accommodation, like €35 double-room.

You will need one. Starting out with temperatures in the mid to high 30s on the VdlP last April I was questioning bringing a sleeping bag and not just a liner. I was very glad of it (and a beanie) by the time I made it to Baños de Montemayor. Not every albergue has heating or if it does it’s not always efficient. Many don’t have blankets.
Thank you!

Are you walking the full way?

I'm approaching Cordoba and so far everywhere had blankets and heating. A sheet or liner would be sufficient.
Also, as there are 2 of you you might prefer private accommodation where available and typically they'll have blankets and heating.

Beyond Cordoba i can't advise but I'm sure the weather will be worse and places where you'll have no option other than an albergue without heat. I read about a stage with no albergue where someone slept outdoors rather than a really long stage.

I reckon booking in advance would be the best option to get reasonably priced accommodation, like €35 double-room.
Thank you so much!

We're likely stopping in Merida and heading over to Italy to do the Via Francigena from Pavia (I'm also checking about sleeping bags there).

Yes, we'll definitely do private rooms at times, but like you said, there may be times we only have the option of an albergue without heat or blankets. We have sleeping quilts that weigh about 750g, so we'll just need to factor that in. :)

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello!
My husband and I are walking from Almería starting mid-February, and were wondering if it’s necessary to pack a sleeping bag. We’ve done other Caminos but always in warmer months and on more highly traveled trails where almost every place has blankets.

I really try to keep the weight of my pack around 5kg due to previous injuries, so not having one would be really helpful 😬

Thanks for your help!
Laura
Laura, I walked from Almeria to Granada in October last year and each albergue had blankets. You may elect to carry a traveller insert (cotton/silk liner - 185 g) but, in my opinion, you don't need a sleeping bag (600 g plus).

Laura, I walked from Almeria to Granada in October last year and each albergue had blankets. You may elect to carry a traveller insert (cotton/silk liner - 185 g) but, in my opinion, you don't need a sleeping bag (600 g plus).
But after Granda? I'm interested as I start the same journey in 2 weeks time.

Up to Granada it's well provided.

After Granada it's not so certain. I had a sleeping bag, which I did need at least once. One busy albergue was short on blankets.

When making enquiries about albergues I found some had changed to block bookings or closed. I was able to camp. But there will be accommodation nearby that will be provisioned.

On the via Francigena I used my sleeping bag a few times, as that was expected.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you! We have liners that we’ll bring for sure. Good to know there were blankets at all albergues you stayed at ☺️

I recommend a lightweight sleeping bag or at least a fleece or down throw, or maybe even a fleece pullover for sleeping. Most of the places we stayed in that were not private (the majority of places we stayed) did not have blankets, and those that did sometimes did not have enough for everyone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We walked from Almeria last March. The association albergues are wonderful. But we carried light weight bags or down throws and were happy to have them. We are walking from Malaga next week and taking them.
Nely in Almeria is a fantastic support. Buen Camino

I recommend a lightweight sleeping bag or at least a fleece or down throw, or maybe even a fleece pullover for sleeping. Most of the places we stayed in that were not private (the majority of places we stayed) did not have blankets, and those that did sometimes did not have enough for everyone.
Thank you!

We walked from Almeria last March. The association albergues are wonderful. But we carried light weight bags or down throws and were happy to have them. We are walking from Malaga next week and taking them.
Nely in Almeria is a fantastic support. Buen Camino
Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Up to Granada it's well provided.

After Granada it's not so certain. I had a sleeping bag, which I did need at least once. One busy albergue was short on blankets.

When making enquiries about albergues I found some had changed to block bookings or closed. I was able to camp. But there will be accommodation nearby that will be provisioned.

On the via Francigena I used my sleeping bag a few times, as that was expected.
Thank you!

Mercedes from the Friends of the Mozarabe writes to me, and I did not even ask:

"It's important you read the guíde, there are important information in english too in pág 6 and inside the Chart. In other way, in March you need sleeping bag and Booking in all privates accommodations if when you arrive is weekend."

I am bringing a light down quiltable sleeping bag, as always..even if it´s only for one stone cold monastery...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Mercedes from the Friends of the Mozarabe writes to me, and I did not even ask:

"It's important you read the guíde, there are important information in english too in pág 6 and inside the Chart. In other way, in March you need sleeping bag and Booking in all privates accommodations if when you arrive is weekend."

I am bringing a light down quiltable sleeping bag, as always..
Thank you for sharing that! Oofda, I need to do some reading. ☺️ I’ve glanced through the guide but clearly missed that

Yes yes yes! I live in Southern Spain and while you might (might not, it rained all day here yesterday) have nice sun and wonderful temperatures during the day, at night the temperature drops a lot and it’s quite cold.
It’s the damp, humid cold.
As you walk away from Almería into the mountains—colder.
In fact, it can be colder inside than outside! Most buildings don’t have heat (my house does not) and you’ll be cold by sunset!

Yes yes yes! I live in Southern Spain and while you might (might not, it rained all day here yesterday) have nice sun and wonderful temperatures during the day, at night the temperature drops a lot and it’s quite cold.
It’s the damp, humid cold.
As you walk away from Almería into the mountains—colder.
In fact, it can be colder inside than outside! Most buildings don’t have heat (my house does not) and you’ll be cold by sunset!
Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back