• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping bag or backpacking blanket

Pilsprog

Time of past OR future Camino
My partner and I are planning to walk the Camino Frances next year starting at the end of May. We're worried about carrying any extra weight and wondered if it would be warm enough to skip taking a lightweight sleeping bag and instead bring a silk type sleep sack and one of those special lightweight backpacking blanket/covers to use if needed. Any ideas welcome.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The albergues all have dormitories with bunk beds. Some of the albergues provide throw away mattress covers but many don't. Most Albergues have blankets too. A single bed that needs sheets and blankets.

Most people take a light sleeping bag with sheet liner.

I think a sheet liner and light weight backpacking blanket would work just fine.

My husband and I who are planning to walk early September until late October, opted to buy a sleeping bag liner sold at Mountain Equipment Co-op in Canada. One side is just a sheet, which you place on top when it's hot, and the other side is light weight down which you place on top when cooler. Very light weight and small. We are hoping that will be enough. Like you, we wanted to keep it small. Will probably bring a treated sheet to place over the mattress as well. The store sold these saying they were used for hosteling so it seemed perfect. Price was right too at $65 Canadian.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pilsprog said:
... the Camino Frances next year starting at the end of May. ... warm enough to skip taking a lightweight sleeping bag and instead bring a silk type sleep sack and one of those special lightweight backpacking blanket/covers to use if needed. ...

Also in May it still can get chilly at night in the mountains / meseta. Some albergues do provide additional blankets, but it is your guess when they have been washed the last time. A lightweight sleeping bag is around 500g. How much is your silk sleeping bag + blanket in total? I myself would take a sleeping bag, no doubt, SY

Hi, I'm currently on the camino. A couple of days ago we stayed in Villafranca Montes de Oca. In the morning we walked into overnight snow - maybe 2 or 3 cm. That day it hailed, snowed, rained and sleeted as we walked into Atapuerca. The people in the municipal albergue were freezing cold according to them. This is the second time I've been on the camino when it has snowed in May and been really cold for a few days. Other times it has been sweltering.
It's certainly true that MOST albergues have extra blankets and equally true that not all of them do. You frequently, but not always,, have the option of taking a private albergue or a casa rural or pension or even a hotel if it's unusually cold for a few days. These all provide blankets.
May weather is very unpredictable in Spain!!
Currently it's pouring rain outside of Burgos.
Buen camino

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Several local news websites are reporting that in very bad weather a few days ago a pilgrim was found lost and confused walking the shoulder of the AP-1 highway near Burgos. Aiming for Burgos but...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...
Hi guys, thinking about doing the Camino Frances in September. What experiences have people had with weather and crowds and accommodation during this time? I would plan for about 30 days which...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back