• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Winter sleeping bag? 0C or colder?

JulioCesarSalad

Time of past OR future Camino
February
My cousin is planning a Camino Frances for February, starting February 1.

How cold does it get inside the albergues in winter? What level sleeping bag would he need? Given the scarce accommodations in wintertime the plan is for him to have at the very least a sleeping bag and sleeping pad.

Thank you! Hoping for insight who have done a Camino in wintertime

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A 0°C bag is really the minimum, as the heating can be a bit iffy sometimes, or even non-existent. What I have found, sleeping in such Winter conditions in Europe, is that it's best to be safe with something certified to -5°C. Including being safe if you end up with nowhere to sleep indoors.

As to a sleeping pad or inflatable mattress, it is an absolute essential unless there's a 0% chance of sleeping outside.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I see you live in the US. Just be aware that if you are shopping in the US, that a 0 degree bag is different than one in Europe. 32 F bag is probably the same as a 0 degree bag in Europe...
Title of the thread does say 0C - - but certainly, a 0°F bag would do the trick !!

Last edited:
I see you live in the US. Just be aware that if you are shopping in the US, that a 0 degree bag is different than one in Europe. 32 F bag is probably the same as a 0 degree bag in Europe...
Yes, This!

Any 4 season/winter rated bag should be fine. Don't need to buy for sub-freezing temperatures, but I have only hiked in the late Spring/Summer months and was cold at night many nights.

Sleeping pad - well - if you are checking for open alberuges before heading out for the next town you intend to stay - then you will probably have a bed every night. If concerned about bed availability - try to reserve the night before or the morning of your arrival day to guarantee a spot. If you are totally going to "wing it" you might want them just in case. Personally, I would rather reserve in the morning instead of wondering if I am going to have to sleep outside in the cold. In the summer time I wouldn't worry as much. Of course - I don't tolerate cold, so that skews my opinion!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Title of the thread does say 0C - - but certainly, a 0°F bag would do trick !!
Yes, I agree, but I am not sure if US bags would say F or C, but maybe just say 40 degrees, or 30 degrees etc. You'd have to read the fine print and unless you travel some outside the US, you might not even think about it being anything other than Fahrenheit. Just trying to clarify...egocentric, I know...

A 0°C bag is really the minimum, as the heating can be a bit iffy sometimes, or even non-existent. What I have found, sleeping in such Winter conditions in Europe, is that it's best to be safe with something certified to -5°C. Including being safe if you end up with nowhere to sleep indoors.

As to a sleeping pad or inflatable mattress, it is an absolute essential unless there's a 0% chance of sleeping outside.
I found a bag that is rated for -2 C comfort. Would that be good do you think? I'm assuming with the low winter traffic the shelters will be more reluctant to turn on the heat fully

Assuming he can just open it up if things are warmer

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I highly recommend a down quilt instead of sleeping bag. Another alternative is one of the new sleeping bags that open almost flat to be used like a quilt. Why? 1. You may or may not be sleeping in a cold room. A down bag will be overkill when it's warm. Unless it can be zipped open entirely and used like a blanket, you will be hot. 2. If you are like me and swing hot/cold all night, you won't be comfortable even in a cold room. It won't get that cold indoors. Also: if you suspect you may not have a room on some nights, you might want to carry a tarp or small tent in addition to a pad. It does rain :)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I've walked various Caminos in the winter months and I've never needed a down quilt nor one that was good for minus F or C weather, in fact I was way too hot in most albergues as I'm used to sleeping without heating and an open window even in the winter. Granted, I live in northern Europe.

Things may of course greatly change this year with the exorbitant rise in utility costs but an expensive down quilt is IMHO overkill unless of course you plan on camping out in cold weather. In Nepal this past november I was very pleased I had one good till -20c but I was in a tent and at 5000 meters!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked various Caminos in the winter months and I've never needed a down quilt nor one that was good for minus F or C weather, in fact I was way too hot in most albergues as I'm used to sleeping without heating and an open window even in the winter. Granted, I live in northern Europe.

Things may of course greatly change this year with the exorbitant rise in utility costs but an expensive down quilt is IMHO overkill unless of course you plan on camping out in cold weather. In Nepal this past november I was very pleased I had one good till -20c but I was in a tent and at 5000 meters!
I wasn't referring to an expensive down quilt. I have one I used for my Camino that is throw sized (I am only 5'2") and cost about $35. Along with a silk bag, it was plenty for March on the Camino even when the albergue wasn't heated. And it was very light. But, like you, I live in the far north and am used to sleeping with the windows open even when it's 10 (F!) outdoors.

The combo of a silk liner and a down throw (or down comforter if you are bigger -- you can cut it down to size for weight saving) is less expensive and more adaptable than any sleeping bag, IMHO.

A down bag will be overkill when it's warm. Unless it can be zipped open entirely and used like a blanket, you will be hot. 2. If you are like me and swing hot/cold all night, you won't be comfortable even in a cold room.
This of course depends on if you are a cold sleeper or a warm sleeper as well as the conditions in the room and outdoor temps and conditions you are used to compared to your home temperatures. But I experienced and unseasonably cool June/July Camino in which everyone was bundled in their sleeping bags and many still cold. For me - I am never surprised when I am too cold at night, but that summer most of the men who normally are warm sleepers were also very cold.

But yes - a down quilt does give more versatility. That said - I haven't found one light enough to switch it out for my ultralight down sleeping bag. At least - not at a price I am willing to pay! They are all heavier than my sleeping bag or very $$$$

This of course depends on if you are a cold sleeper or a warm sleeper as well as the conditions in the room and outdoor temps and conditions you are used to compared to your home temperatures. But I experienced and unseasonably cool June/July Camino in which everyone was bundled in their sleeping bags and many still cold. For me - I am never surprised when I am too cold at night, but that summer most of the men who normally are warm sleepers were also very cold.

But yes - a down quilt does give more versatility. That said - I haven't found one light enough to switch it out for my ultralight down sleeping bag. At least - not at a price I am willing to pay! They are all heavier than my sleeping bag or very $$$$
Check Wayfair or Kohl’s for inexpensive down comforters or throws. It need not be a pricy backpacking version. Just light. The money is better spent on a real silk liner. Surprisingly warm!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Check Wayfair or Kohl’s for inexpensive down comforters or throws. It need not be a pricy backpacking version. Just light. The money is better spent on a real silk liner. Surprisingly warm!!
I do - they are all heavier than my down sleeping bag! And yes - I own a silk liner and love it - but I am COLD!

I do - they are all heavier than my down sleeping bag! And yes - I own a silk liner and love it - but I am COLD!
Kohls has a down throw that's $15 and two together are lighter and more versatile than my $300 down bag that weighs next to nothing. They are a bit slippery, though. For the Camino, where you are always sleeping indoors, I prefer to save the weight and bring the down throws. But we are all individuals!! You gotta do what works for you.

Kohls has a down throw that's $15 and two together are lighter and more versatile than my $300 down bag that weighs next to nothing. They are a bit slippery, though. For the Camino, where you are always sleeping indoors, I prefer to save the weight and bring the down throws. But we are all individuals!! You gotta do what works for you.
How much do the ones you mention weigh in grams? I still haven't found one that weighs less than my down summer weight sleeping bag. Slippery isn't a problem - just place them inside the liner instead of on top of. But I keep buying down throws and they are still heavier than my sleeping bag. They are always lighter than my 3 season sleeping bags - but not my summer sleeping bag.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How much do the ones you mention weigh in grams? I still haven't found one that weighs less than my down summer weight sleeping bag. Slippery isn't a problem - just place them inside the liner instead of on top of. But I keep buying down throws and they are still heavier than my sleeping bag. They are always lighter than my 3 season sleeping bags - but not my summer sleeping bag.
I'd have to get back with you on exact weights of the Kohls throws. I don't have them with me. The down throw that I prefer (with a microfiber cover) for use with my silk bag weighs 26 oz. The slippery Kohls versions are about half that -- but I think you'd lose loft and warmth if you you used them inside the silk bag. My sleeping bag (REI Magma 30) is 20 oz but is not as versatile as it's a mummy bag and way too warm if I'm sleeping indoors. I'm very weight-conscious as I'm small and in my 60s. I still chose the throw /silk sac option over my sleeping bag because it is great for cold but too hot for anything else. My husband has an REI down throw that's only 20 oz but it was very pricy. And also slippery!

It all depends on what your sleep needs are. I need to be able to cool off periodically overnight. It that's not an issue, then a warm, light bag would probably be fine.

My cousin is planning a Camino Frances for February, starting February 1.

How cold does it get inside the albergues in winter? What level sleeping bag would he need? Given the scarce accommodations in wintertime the plan is for him to have at the very least a sleeping bag and sleeping pad.

Thank you! Hoping for insight who have done a Camino in wintertime
It’s quite cold in February and most albergues do not have heat. Once, we were offered a space heater, because nobody else was staying there. Even in private accommodations, heat can be iffy, not very warm, on a timer so it shuts off at night, all sorts of variations. Some private accommodations were so well heated they were too warm, but that was the exception. I generally had to sleep inside my 30degree down bag wearing base layers and with more covers on top to be warm. This was in both Nov-Dec and late Feb-March.

Hint for winter albergues: they tend to keep the heat off during the day and turn it on at night. Around 10pm. If it gets turned on at all. That opposite what we do at home. Personally, I need the heat when I arrive and when I wake up. But I don’t need it at night when I’m cozied up in my bed. I had good luck when I was alone or with a like-minded pilgrim asking the host to turn on the heat at arrival and OFF at 10pm. And back on around 7am. They were puzzled, but flexible. I think it saves them some heating bills and means showers are in a warm space. Sleeping in a colder room is easier than one too heated. Snd it won’t be too cold if the heat was on in the afternoon and early evening.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I highly recommend a down quilt instead of sleeping bag. Another alternative is one of the new sleeping bags that open almost flat to be used like a quilt. Why?

Totally agree with having something that can open right up to a quilt - for all reasons mentioned. I now have three all sleeping bags and my lightweight’ quilt’ one is my favourite. I’m not sure if this option is available with 0 C bags though. Good luck.

Keep in mind sleeping bag weight and cost. The colder it's rated the heavier it is and the lighter it is for the colder it is rated the more expensive it is.
I'm going to recommend a bag rated for about 35-45 degrees Fahrenheit that weighs no more than say about 2-1/2 pounds would work well and be of a reasonable cost.

€46,-
The only real problem with sleeping bags that you can open out completely is if you need to sleep out on a cold wet night, as they are less efficient against cold air or rain. But if you are sure of avoiding such conditions, they're great.

It’s quite cold in February and most albergues do not have heat. Once, we were offered a space heater, because nobody else was staying there. Even in private accommodations, heat can be iffy, not very warm, on a timer so it shuts off at night, all sorts of variations. Some private accommodations were so well heated they were too warm, but that was the exception. I generally had to sleep inside my 30degree down bag wearing base layers and with more covers on top to be warm. This was in both Nov-Dec and late Feb-March.
Your response is the one that worries me the most. Various people have different answers, some saying albergues are warm and others that it is cold. I am also worried about the heating costs meaning no heat.

We have two options: a 30F sleeping bag rated for 40F comfort or a 15F sleeping bag rated for 27F comfort.

What should he take? If he takes the 15 he will be fine in an albergue that's literally at freezing temperature. but will be too hot for anything around 40F. If he takes the 30F he will be mostly fine, but will be cold some nights and blankets aren't guaranteed, from what I have read.

At the same time, Weatherspark shows temperatures in February don't often dip below 35F outdoors at night, and it will only get warmer each day.

This is also why I am prioritizing advice from people who have gone in February, but it's a tough decision

Your response is the one that worries me the most. Various people have different answers, some saying albergues are warm and others that it is cold. I am also worried about the heating costs meaning no heat.

We have two options: a 30F sleeping bag rated for 40F comfort or a 15F sleeping bag rated for 27F comfort.

What should he take? If he takes the 15 he will be fine in an albergue that's literally at freezing temperature. but will be too hot for anything around 40F. If he takes the 30F he will be mostly fine, but will be cold some nights and blankets aren't guaranteed, from what I have read.

At the same time, Weatherspark shows temperatures in February don't often dip below 35F outdoors at night, and it will only get warmer each day.

This is also why I am prioritizing advice from people who have gone in February, but it's a tough decision
Is there a big weight difference?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Is there a big weight difference?
440 grams, 1 pound

My concern is not so much weight but comfort (overheating ir freezing)

What about the 30F bag and a sleeping bag liner? Does anyone have a sleeping bag liner they recommend that could serve as the 10F bridge?

Hi Julio
If the options are those 2 sleeping bags, then your cousin should take the 30/40F one. Job done.
Why?
- even unheated albergues will average many degrees warmer inside than the outside temperature (and I'm not sure there are any unheated ones open all year anyway)
- nearly all albergues provide blankets
- as you point out, with the thicker one he’ll boil when he gets to a warm place like the Xunta albergues in Galicia (cheap and open all year) where some of them still don’t regulate the temperature well and the radiators are on much of the time.
- the chances of the only option being an unheated albergue without blankets in frozen conditions are very very small. And in that case he'll have the adventure of coping by putting on all the layers of winter clothing he has packed ;-)

Now that you and he have decided on the Camino Frances life is going to be a lot easier. I'm very glad to hear that!
FWIW I've walked it in December in snow blizzards over the mountains and in temperatures well below zero and with a wide range of folk (old, young, pregnant, with donkeys etc) some of whom only packed summer sleep bags - and it all worked out fine.

If you are still concerned about the availability of warm and reasonably priced accommodation, you can always check on the Gronze website. You or your cousin can pick out some likely destination towns, check for albergues open all year and look at their facilities and ratings. You can likely do this on apps as well, such as Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim.
Cheers, tom

Now that you and he have decided on the Camino Frances life is going to be a lot easier.
Thanks for following along, Tom!
Gronze is actually what helped with the decision making. I went stage by stage and looked at the available shelters.

These excel screenshots show shelter availability in February:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 11.37.10.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 11.37.10.png
    173.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 11.37.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-22 at 11.37.34.png
    167 KB · Views: 27
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks for following along, Tom!
Gronze is actually what helped with the decision making. I went stage by stage and looked at the available shelters.

These excel screenshots show shelter availability in February:
Great spreadsheets! They provide a good visual.

I got back to the UK just under 2 weeks ago and boy were some of those unheated albergues COLD! Some were lovely and warm but quite a few were not. I purchased 5 sleeping bags the month before I left home to go and took the first 4 back to the shop for various reasons. In the end I kept the most expensive bag a comfort -6°C Thermarest bag and so glad I did. Some nights I used it as a quilt but in the unheated albergues I was well zipped up and toasty when other people grumbled there were cold. Every albergue did supply blankets though but I didn't need them.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back