• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping Pods - Madrid airport?

Vanozza

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked part of the Camino Frances one and a half times. I ended in Sahagun in April 2019.
My flight to Spain will arrive at MAD Barajas airport at 6:30am. However my accommodations in Madrid will not be available for check-in until 3pm! No early check-ins. I will be a wreck after crossing 6 time zones so I have wondered about renting a sleeping pod at the airport for a few hours before heading into Madrid. However I cannot figure out how to do this. The Internet links all seem to be broken. Does anyone have any experience renting or using sleeping pods at the Madrid airport? Help!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I don’t think there is a sleeping pods hotel at Madrid airport. I recently had to stay by the Madrid airport and the closest budget accommodation was like 15 minutes away. I stayed at Hostel Viky which on the booking.com map looked like it was right next to the airport but it was a 15 minute van ride. There is a hotel in terminal 4 but it is expensive.

I don’t think there is a sleeping pods hotel at Madrid airport. I recently had to stay by the Madrid airport and the closest budget accommodation was like 15 minutes away. I stayed at Hostel Viky which on the booking.com map looked like it was right next to the airport but it was a 15 minute van ride. There is a hotel in terminal 4 but it is expensive.
Thank you for responding so quickly. Much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My flight to Spain will arrive at MAD Barajas airport at 6:30am. However my accommodations in Madrid will not be available for check-in until 3pm! No early check-ins. I will be a wreck after crossing 6 time zones so I have wondered about renting a sleeping pod at the airport for a few hours before heading into Madrid. However I cannot figure out how to do this. The Internet links all seem to be broken. Does anyone have any experience renting or using sleeping pods at the Madrid airport? Help!

There seems to be a premium service , also for arrivals.
No pods but a private lounge and some personal assistance.
They do not display the cost.

How much is the cost per night of your Hotel in Madrid?
What is the potential cost of a 'pod' somewhere?
How important is it for you to get some rest?

I was faced with the same issues travelling to my last Camino, during a stopover in Dubai of 23 hours.
(i was doing some business meetings during the stop over)

I paid for an extra night in the Hotel, so that I could check in at 5 am........

Just a thought.......

I was faced with the same issues travelling to my last Camino, during a stopover in Dubai of 23 hours.

I paid for an extra night in the Hotel, so that I could check in at 5 am........

Just a thought.......
That’s an excellent strategy. I will check now to see if I can book the room for one extra night in advance.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Last month I arrived in Madrid at 7:00 and couldn’t check into my place until 15:00. In between, my son and I rode the Metro system to different places and did a lot of walking. Every single street was uphill!! 🤣

PS - Try to sleep on the plane on the way to Spain. I got some “medical help” to do this and so when I arrived, I was silly but not totally exhausted.

Not that I’ve done it or fully recommend it, but the park around the Prada was packed with tourists and their suitcases getting naps in before their hotels would let them in 😂. If you choose this, definitely put a leash on your pack so it doesn’t wander off….

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Check if your place of lodging will allow you to deposit your baggage there, while you wander Madrid - a beautiful city by the way - until check in. I always do this, even when just traveling as a tourist.

Hope this helps.

Tom

I'm with @t2andreo
Make it to your hotel, drop the bag and go wander
Come back by say 4-5PM and crash then
All in all you may be a less of a wreck than you think ;);)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Just a thought.......
Paying for an extra night in the hotel so we could check in early has been recommended to us when arriving early morning in other countries. Call or email your Madrid hotel to see if this is possible.

I’ve found when I come from the US and arrive that early most places will take your luggage for you. I’ve then found if I don’t nap and try to go to bed on their time, the next morning I have no jet lag and feel fine. Several times I’ve just bought a ticket for the red hop on hop off bus and enjoyed the ride. Found all the things I want to see the next day. And I have also fallen asleep on the bus.

To conquer jetlag, you MUST fight it! That means you should absolutely NOT sleep upon arrival from the US to Europe. Get outside in the open air and sunshine to stay awake.

Once your room is ready in the afternoon, try to nap for a couple hours. Set an alarm to wake up for dinner and try to stay awake until normal bedtime.

If you give into your desire to sleep at the wrong time, it will only prolong your jetlag.

It's very helpful to have previous travel experience so you can practice jetlag recovery. The struggle doesn't get any easier, but you learn ways to avoid making it much worse.

-Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back