• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sock liner question

Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
They are one of many techniques for avoiding blisters. I use liner socks, dusting them with an antifungal foot powder before putting them on each morning, and haven't blistered using this approach on long walks.

The philosophy is that the thin liner socks provide an extra layer of protection between your feet soles and the boots/shoes. I have used this method for more than 10 years (including 3 climbs on Mt Kilimanjaro) and other walks. I think my total of blisters is less than 5. But the quality of the boots/shoes and the amount of padding under your feet can also have an impact - as does the weight of your boots and backpack. So less weight is more enjoyable. Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I used sock liners with Smartwool sox over them. We also rubbed vasaline on our feet before putting them on in the morning and at least once during a mid morning rest stop. 800 Km and neither one of us had a blister. I walked in Brooks trail runners and my hubby walked in low Merrill hikers.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked the Frances and did not use liner socks. Instead I just used a brand of quick dry cool max athletic socks and had no trouble with blisters. However I just got a new pair of boots and I have been having a little rubbing that I worry might cause blisters on my Camino this coming summer. Everything else is good, so before I abandon the boots and try something else, I am thinking of trying some liner socks. I see they are made in silk, merino wool and cool max fabrics. Can someone talk about the differences? Liz

When I first started trekking (twenty years ago +) I used liners and talc with a great deal of success. But with good fitting modern walking shoes/boots and lighter pack weights due to modern materials I dispensed with them and have had no problems.

I used them and I believe I had few foot problems because of them. I now use light, thin socks under my hiking socks all the time.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I've tried everything, different footwear, vaseline, 1000 mile no-blister guarantee socks, powder, etc and always wear sock liners under hiking socks, but I still get a blister or two every camino, appearing about day 3. A strip of thin plaster around the instep and heel helps.
Maybe longer training sessions pre camino is the answer so that blisters come and go before getting to Spain.

Good luck Cathy Duff. It sounds like sock liners work for most others. . .

I have heard sock liners reduce blisters? Any advice
Cathy,

I used a thin layer of vaseline on my feet, thin silver infused sock liners, Marino wool socks, and well fitting boots. This worked very well for me, and my feet stayed in really good shape throughout. My wife used the same regime with the same results. Equipment is important, but I feel that listening to your body and your feet is probably equally critical in maintaining foot health during your Camino.

Have a Great Journey!

I have used liner socks for the first parts of all of my caminos. Also, apply "Glide" to my feet. After the first couple of weeks of walking, my silk socks get really "gunked up" and I toss them without experiencing any problems. So I'm not sure that it matters for me. Perhaps my feet are toughened up by then or I'm doing a good job of airing my feet out during breaks and changing socks a couple of times during the day

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Like wayfarer, I use liner socks and give each foot a good massage with gloves in a bottle so far on two camino's I haven't had a single blister. I also agree that comfortable foot wear is vital it really has to be sorted out well before you walk long distances .

I have heard sock liners reduce blisters? Any advice

In my two times on the Camino I had good Saloman hiking shoes and some Wigwam Merino wool hiking socks. I commonly rubbed aloe vera on my feet before putting on the socks I never got a blister. I did not use liners but I have purchased some for this coming September because another layer of cushioning might be beneficial and more comfortable. Let's see how it goes.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think that Injinji toe sock liners made the difference between horrible blisters on my first Camino and no blisters at all on my second. Many people get blisters between their toes and these liners keep your toes from rubbing together.

The issue of blisters on the toes is not often addressed. I have some odd toes and they kind of get on top on one another so I taped some of them together and that took care of it. I also put a band-aide on the big toe to pad it from the one alongside. No blisters.

A reason I like liners is that they are thin and dry quickly. I want what is next to my skin to be clean so I wash them everyday. The mid-weight hiking socks that I wear for cushioning do not necessarily dry overnight, therefore I only wash them when I think I have a good shot at getting them dry.

I wore the thin Injini liner socks with lightweight Coolmax oversocks on my 2,500km walk across Europe this past Summer without any trouble. I also rubbed either Vaseline or Menthol rub (think Vicks chest rub)into my feet each morning as well. Dr Scholl make gel toe separators which might work for the overlapping toes. But as mentioned above listen to your feet. They will soon tell you if there is something wrong. I also often taped my toes with Fixomull (Elastoplast make something similar) depending on what the terrain would be like. For example if you know there will be a lot of downhill with your toes pushing into the front of your boot the tape the pressure points before you set off. Your feet are what will get you there. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think that Injinji toe sock liners made the difference between horrible blisters on my first Camino and no blisters at all on my second. Many people get blisters between their toes and these liners keep your toes from rubbing together.
I had this issue walking the Frances...ordered some Injinji toe sock liners and am eager to test them out!! Larger boots are also on my list!!

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
I had bought the long Camino banner-style map in Santiago and finally got around to having it framed. The framers managed to tear my map and I'm in need of a replacement. Does anyone know where...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.