• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Socks & "sock liners"

Time of past OR future Camino
2010, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2024
I have learned much from this forum, starting with my first Camino over a decade ago. A major concern of mine is blisters. So far by incorporating the many ideas on this forum, I have been blister free for all of my Caminos. In my last Camino, I used the following socks set up: Vaseline/petroleum jelly, nylon hose/sock, and Merino wool socks. I plan to use the same set up for my next Camino. I have an "academic" question. Since my feet do not touch my socks because of the nylon socks, it seems that my socks' material should not matter. Would Merino wool be better than wool, synthetic or composite in this situation? What do you think? Buen Camino.Camino Socks.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Assume you mean that because of lack of physical contact the wicking properties of the main sock’s are potentially reduced?
Or do you mean that the comfort of the main sock is not therefore as important?

When wet, Wool is always better. (Merino I just personally find more comfortable). Regardless of liner/ lack thereof. Those look like Darntuff socks, personally I have yet to find better. And as they have a lifelong guarantee, why change?
You’ve already said that the combo worked for you, stick with it imho.
Buen Camino

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Would Merino wool be better than wool, synthetic or composite in this situation? What do you think? Buen Camino.
I wouldn't change what works, or has worked, for you. I have tried many socks over the years. Much of what I see here and elsewhere about the benefits of wool might just have well have been taken directly from the marketing campaigns of the Australian Wool Board and its NZ counterpart. They have been remarkably successful in differentiating wool from other sock materials, as well as wool used in other clothing items. They are not an unbiased source of information! My experience is that woollen socks and those made from other yarns are little different in practical terms in use.

They are not an unbiased source of information!
Couldn’t agree more.
They have been remarkably successful in differentiating wool from other sock materials,
But here - perhaps because there’s more than an element of truth involved? I believe if it could be easily refuted, other material producers would have long since done so.

But, like you I prefer to rely on personal experience. I’ve tried goodness knows how many different socks over the years.
I love cotton socks when I’m in the office. But walking longer than a couple of hours - nope, don’t work for me. Synthetic - over the years I’ve found a couple of half decent brands, but for other reasons I prefer to stay with natural materials - All else being relatively equal. (Cost is not a major factor- comfort and quality, yes). Haven’t tried silk….
I used a local brand wool sock in NZ, was very pleased with them. But they’re no longer available, and I now live in Germany. Tried over a dozen different socks, inc. non-merino before I settled on Darntuff (which, coincidentally, are Merino) . Super comfortable, no blisters, warm when wet, but also not overly warm in the summer. (30 degrees today.) For ME, they were/ are the best.

I can only think of one advantage Merino wool has over cheaper wool and that is that its longer, thinner finers give it a softer feel. So there isn't any advantage if you can't feel it. Either wool though will wick moisture and you want to make sure any synthetic material used in the socks will do that too. Synthetic materials will retain odors more than wool.

To save weight you may want to consider carrying small squeeze tubes of petroleum jelly with you and restocking at pharmacies.

Edit: The thought just came to me that the ability to wick moisture away may not be an advantage to you with your setup as the layer of petroleum jelly may prevent sweat and moisture from escaping from your foot anyway. Try some experiments.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have learned much from this forum, starting with my first Camino over a decade ago. A major concern of mine is blisters. So far by incorporating the many ideas on this forum, I have been blister free for all of my Caminos. In my last Camino, I used the following socks set up: Vaseline/petroleum jelly, nylon hose/sock, and Merino wool socks. I plan to use the same set up for my next Camino. I have an "academic" question. Since my feet do not touch my socks because of the nylon socks, it seems that my socks' material should not matter. Would Merino wool be better than wool, synthetic or composite in this situation? What do you think? Buen Camino.View attachment 152302
Goretex or non-goretex boots? Damp feet = soft skin = increased blister risk. Goretex = outer socks that will move moisture away - merino wool does this as do most synthetics.

We have found that a fist-full of wool is so handy (not cotton wool) for breaking off in small clumps to place between your toes when required is fantastic. It is not to replace Compeeds or complement them but to add to your 'toe/foot medicine chest'. I guess that it also has impregnated lanolin to also aid in foot care. It seems to be quite commonly used on the Camino.

I guess that it also has impregnated lanolin to also aid in foot care. It seems to be quite commonly used on the Camino.
My understanding is hikers wool is removed from the treatment cycle before the lanolin has been removed, rather than having the lanolin impregnated into the wool. Any raw wool could be used if there is no foreign material in it, such as wool found caught in fences or vegetation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for all your responses. I'm interested in having raw wool between my toes when they get "hot." Where do I get/buy raw wool? Thanks again for all the information.

When pilgrims use Vaseline for blister protection, are they spreading it over the entire foot, just the sole or just around the toes? Also does the use of Vaseline make the washing of socks a tricky task?

When pilgrims use Vaseline for blister protection, are they spreading it over the entire foot, just the sole or just around the toes? Also does the use of Vaseline make the washing of socks a tricky task?
I rub/massage VERY LITTLE Vaseline, mainly around the toes and the ball of the foot. I like soft and supple skin. I believe my dry and hard skin resulted in blister-like issues when I was training for my first Camino. As I use very little Vaseline, I've not had problems with sock washing. I believe most of the Vaseline goes into the skin rather than getting onto the socks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Couldn’t agree more.

But here - perhaps because there’s more than an element of truth involved? I believe if it could be easily refuted, other material producers would have long since done so.

But, like you I prefer to rely on personal experience. I’ve tried goodness knows how many different socks over the years.
I love cotton socks when I’m in the office. But walking longer than a couple of hours - nope, don’t work for me. Synthetic - over the years I’ve found a couple of half decent brands, but for other reasons I prefer to stay with natural materials - All else being relatively equal. (Cost is not a major factor- comfort and quality, yes). Haven’t tried silk….
I used a local brand wool sock in NZ, was very pleased with them. But they’re no longer available, and I now live in Germany. Tried over a dozen different socks, inc. non-merino before I settled on Darntuff (which, coincidentally, are Merino) . Super comfortable, no blisters, warm when wet, but also not overly warm in the summer. (30 degrees today.) For ME, they were/ are the best.
Hi there NZ makes a brand called CREEPERS all Marino just bought 3prs đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does merino wool also wash better with less shrinkage than other wools?
As someone who regularly turns woollen garments into felt products, so far the modern woollen socks I have bought have been remarkably resilient to my special skills in this area. Some have displayed a little shrinkage, but it has been quite minimal, and not enough to make the socks unwearable. Others don't appear to have shrunk at all. Much as @Peterexpatkiwi does, I don't wash socks, or anything else, at higher wash temperatures.

Thank you for all your responses. I'm interested in having raw wool between my toes when they get "hot." Where do I get/buy raw wool? Thanks again for all the information.

In NZ and Australia I've found it in Hiking shop's ( literally called Hikers wool); in Germany it's called Bio -Fettwolle, sold for breastfeeding mothers ( hiking shop's don't stock it!?!). It's literally just 100% organic raw Wool, with a natural high lanolin content.
In Germany it's Sold online or Drugstores (DM, Rossmann). Canada, America and Britain anyone?

Does merino wool also wash better with less shrinkage than other wools?
Yes. There is little shinkage in any wool fiber. As @dougfitz mentioned, what most people say is shrinkage in wool is really felting, the bonding of fibers. Wool fibers are coated with scales and heat can cause these to open more. Agitation then causes the scales on neighboring strands to interlock. What was long strands will become shorter strands with kinks along it. The wool fibers from merino sheep are finer and the scales are thus not as likely to interlock (or be itchy).

fibre-comparison.png

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Let me add some more on shrinkage. I've worn wool socks every day for twenty years or more. I want to buy more extremely comfortable merino socks as I used to do but Peg is frugal and shops more so I get gifted cheaper blends of wool with merino wool. The socks get washed in hot water with the rest of the clothes in an agitating washing machine and usually pulled out to dry draped over a clothes line but it is a common occurrence to miss some and they can end up in the dryer set on high (we use the dryer in winter). I can't recall any shrinkage bad enough to discard a pair. Some pairs become tight but that is actually good for hikes because it means walking friction is between the sock and shoe and not the sock and foot.

Summary from Author - Thank you all for your responses and inputs. I am rethinking my sock set up even though it had worked in the past regarding blisters. I still like to keep my feet soft and supple. Instead of Vaseline, I am thinking of using a small amount of Nivea, Men, Breathable Body Lotion the evening before walking. I will not wear my nylon socks but will bring them in case I change my mind mid Camino. Of course, I will continue with my Merino wool socks. Once again, thank you all for your responses and inputs. Buen Camino.

I have learned much from this forum, starting with my first Camino over a decade ago. A major concern of mine is blisters. So far by incorporating the many ideas on this forum, I have been blister free for all of my Caminos. In my last Camino, I used the following socks set up: Vaseline/petroleum jelly, nylon hose/sock, and Merino wool socks. I plan to use the same set up for my next Camino. I have an "academic" question. Since my feet do not touch my socks because of the nylon socks, it seems that my socks' material should not matter. Would Merino wool be better than wool, synthetic or composite in this situation? What do you think? Buen Camino.View attachment 152302
I used Aquaphor, silk sock liners, and various types of wool socks, with hiking boots. No blisters. Decided to ditch the sock liners--got blisters. Of course, there were plenty of other variables, but that was my experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just finished my first camino this June. Blisters were a big concern of mine as I have never done long distance hiking before. After reading many ways to help prevent blisters on this forum I went with the 2 sock merino wool method. Used foot glide along with the 2 sock method for first half of Camino Frances then just used the 2 sock method for the second half, with no foot glide. Zero blisters, and I met many people along the way that had blisters, some with many blisters. Feet all bandaged up and having to take a rest day. So I feel fortunate enough not to get any blisters.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.