• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Some thoughts from first 10 days of my Camino

billbennettoz

Veteran Poster
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013
Camino Portuguese 2014
Via di Francesco 2015
I'm having a rest day in Santo Domingo de la Calzada. I've had some issues with injuries. And I've just posted my thoughts on my first 9 days of walking. Already it's been confronting and transformative.
[Ivar: edited out commercial link] (Day 10 - Rest & Reflection)

Last edited by a moderator:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Absolutely superb blog and your photos are really stunning! Really looking forward to reading it all the way till you get to Santiago. Must say too, you do put in the mileage with long stages. Respect!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I too enjoyed your blog greatly - and your photos which are second to none! Yes, if we could only argue with our body ... to make it more cooperative. I have bookmarked your blog and look forward to following you all the way.

But have you considered to take some slower and shorter stages and maybe take a bit more time to smell the roses? Your body might love it and have some time for healing ... you seem to be dangerously near the edge for e.g. shin splints ...
annelise

Great blog Bill and beautiful photos. Hope your knee improves. I will say a prayer to Mary MacKillop, Oz's only Saint, for you to get better.

I have been lurking out here on this forum for quite some time and had hoped to start my camino this year. I am now going to have to hope for 2014. Oh well...

I truly hope your knee improves and I admire your tenacity. I am enjoying reading your blog and your photographs are wonderful. What camera are you using and how heavy is it?

Buen camino!
Linda

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Beautiful photos Bill. The weather appears to be much kinder to you than it has been to many lately- you don't seem to have had too much rain.

Re the shins and knee, can I suggest some shorter days?! And another thing comes to mind re the shin- are you drinking enough, and taking enough rest breaks? A good French friend had to stop walking for a week with tendonitis at a similar time of the year: it was cold so he simply did not take breaks and didn't feel the need to drink much. A Dr told him he needed to do both, and after a week's rest he took the Dr's advice, and walked all the way from Cluny to Santiago without further problems.

Margaret

Reduce backpack weight - check.
Add two sticks - check.
Use voltaren gel and take nurofen - check.
Chuck on an elastic bandage - check.

Now you just need to slow down. Go back and read your blog so far. You'll see that you cope quite well with 20 or so km. So stop then! Don't be a 16-year-old know-it-all who insists on ignoring the advice of his mother and anyone older than her....listen to us and you can thank us all later! You need to slow down.

Take breaks, not just photos.

We want to see your photos all the way to Santiago....so please, listen to us :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Eddielanigan said:
Really. You must be in a bad way for something to read about the Camino. A guy wringing about his shins and blisters. Gimme a break.

Forum Rules

Post by ivar on 24 Jul 2012, 12:43
This Forum is for Santiago pilgrims of all religions, or none, who walk, run, ride, cycle or are part of a pilgrimage tour to Santiago.

1) Posts about your personal political or religious beliefs are not allowed.
2) Personal attacks or insulting posts are not allowed.
3) Do not criticise the way others make their pilgrimage and do not tell them how to behave or what to do.

So thrilled to see your blog and your amazing photos ! Thank you for sharing this....
Wishing you well, and buen camino , Helen :D

Just to add to the above advice regarding your shin splints: in addition to cutting down on daily kilometers I suggest the use of ice massage and tape. Try to find a physio in Santo Domingo that uses kinesiotape (different from your standard sports tape). I have used it on many patients in my practice and on pilgrims when I was a hospitalero in Grañón with good results.

Your physical body is trying to tell you something Bill (maybe your emotional one too)...and they are no longer whispering. Don't wait until they scream: stop!

I too look forward to more pictures and musings so take care of yourself!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kiwi-family said:
Take breaks, not just photos. We want to see your photos all the way to Santiago....so please, listen to us :D
Ditto!
Buen Camino!
Margaret

Your blog is very well-written, and you're very funny. I laughed out loud more than once.

But I agree with the other posters...maybe you should be open to slowing down a bit? I'm pretty fit, and I already know that I won't be happy walking more than 20 km a day.

I've only read your latest post so far, but I'm about to read the others as I'm hooked. While you're out experiencing these changes within yourself, you made a difference to my day by writing about them. Your revelations about breaking normal behaviour and re-evaluating your reactions have been a nice reminder that we should all take time out to do the same, whether we're on the Camino or not.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Enjoying your blog and just love the photos! would be interested in the type of camera you are using. Slow down and smell the roses!

I really like your Blog and I appreciate your deep thoughts as regards your Pilgrimage. The photos are great. BUT please, please slow down. Try to not walk more than 20/22 Kms a day at least for the next week and take heed to the excellent advice posted here regarding medication and generally looking after your legs and feet! Take it slowly! Ultreia! Anne

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh my goodness - I've just seen all these wonderful and very kind posts in response to my blog. Thank you everyone. I've been too scared to look to see if anyone has commented, afraid of being flayed for being so damn stupid in the way I've approached this!

I will take the advice you've all posted here above, thank you - and hope that you continue to enjoy my future posts. Bill

Hello Bill, a wonderful blog. I think - or at least hope - that walking the Camino seven years ago helped make me a better person. Every day since, I've reflected on the experience and the things I learnt. I'm going to walk the Way again late this year, because of the deeply personal emotional, physical, and (non-religious) spiritual challenges - all of which have to be present - it presents, and which your story so far tells us. Buen Camino (and Go, Swannies!) for the rest of your personal adventure. Wes.

Bill do you have Compeed? It's a soothing cushioned plaster for blisters available at any farmacia. I'm really enjoying your blog , your thoughts and your photos... End of march I walked 5 days estella to Santo Domingo, Its a delight to read your experience along the route and relive the camino... Blisters and all... Yes I got them too! Buen camino. May road rise with you and the wind be always on your back:)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For those who have asked about my camera - I gave this a lot of thought, because I'm a film director and imaging is important to me. I'm using a little Fujifilm x10. I chose this camera because I've always liked Fuji's sensors - and this is a light weight camera camera with full manual controls and a very fine lens. It's fast too, at f2.0.

That said, I regret now not copping the extra weight and taking an entry level DSLR with a larger sensor and better RAW capability.

My choice would be a Nikon D3200 (small and lightweight) with the Nikkor 16-85mm lens. It's a sharp lens, and the D3200 24MP sensor is a cracker. With batteries and charger, it weighs in at about 1.4kgs. My Fuji kit is 685gms. So the Nikon is about twice the weight.

In retrospect I would have probably ditched some other stuff to bring the Nikon - but that's just me. What I'm finding along the way is that people bring the things that are important to them, irrespective of weight. For instance, one bloke I met loves his morning coffee so much he brought an espressos machine, a grinder and beans! He's now 3 days ahead of me, so the coffee is definitely working for him!

Someone else brought an electric toothbrush!

For more info on my camera choice, go to: What I am Taking on my blog -

http://www.pgstheway.com

Bill

I'm sorry - I wanted to read your blog, but have you considered how this sounds, and what it says about you? From your Day 2 blog: "My light provided illumination for a young Korean couple who came with me the first 15kms or so. They were strange, which I guess is a national trait. Ergo Korean missile crisis. But I digress…"

Seriously?

Hi Bill!
Love your blog and your honesty. I believe you have finally listened to your body and have slowed down a tad.
Keep taking your wonderful photos as they are truly special.:cool:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kiwi-family said:
Use voltaren gel and take nurofen - check.
Chuck on an elastic bandage - check.

Now you just need to slow down.

The first two are really treating symptoms. Slowly down is avoiding the symptoms.

Better an ounce of prevention

Not only because I enjoy your sometimes funny or witty approach towards serious issues but also for the fact that I'm a film director as well and have done the Camino 2 years ago, you'll have one more follower of your blog.

I completely agree with others on this thread that you have to slow down a bit and use Compeed for blisters. Usually it is so that if you have a blister on your right foot your left knee (and right side of the hips) will ache and vice versa. It's kind of zig-zag with human joint I supposed :)

And while you're still in Sto.Domingo and will most probably continuing tomorrow, do stop in Viloria de la Rioja (15km further on) for rest or breakfast at almost legendary Albergue Acacio y Orietta. I was there overnight and in the evening we talked about pilgrims start walking at 5 in the morning and "racing for the bed" and mileage. They're both experience Caminoists and in their eyes the true pilgrimage (not talking in religious sense) takes 20-25km/day.

I also took my camera (an old Canon 300D) along, with slower optics: 18-55mm/1:3,5 and 90-300mm/1:4,5, but were sufficient. I was using Lowepro Off Trail 2 (http://naturography.com/lowepro-off-tra ... ck-review/) which is topload & beltpack combo with very important belt added which you put around your neck so the weight is evenly deployed between waist and neck. Also the side holsters are very useful. In the right one was 90-300mm and in the left one 0,75l plastic flask with water. This way I didn't have to stop and search through my rucksack neither for taking photos nor drinking. And another important thing about that, because I also have very bad knees (alpinistic injury), this way I managed to redeploy a bit of weight from my back to the front and get better balance of the whole body. Along with using he walking poles :lol:

Ultreia, Amigo!

Hi Kinky one - shame I've only just read your post now. Otherwise I would have stayed in the place you recommended.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the "true" pilgrim does the Camino a particular way. I think everyone gets from it what they're ready to get at their stage in their spiritual evolution.

Bill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm enjoying our blog, Bill. So many things with which I can relate. I also received some "healing powers" in Santo Domingo.
Buen Camino to you. Enjoy! I will be returning this summer to walk from Santiago to the ocean, then perhaps will do the entire route again! The Camino is magical! - Monica :arrow:

No problemos, Bill :)

If you'll like the Camino, if you'll find yourself on that journey, you'll most definitely became a "Camino junkie". Maybe most of us on this site are just such junkies. And if that happens you can do the Camino somewhat (sometime) different. To meet Acacio and Orietta to say, at least :)

If you are to stay in Ages try Casa Caracol (ask for the attic of Casa Roja - The Red House), it is a dormitory with matresses, but soooo nice and cute, with the kitchen in the basement and a superb restaurant around the corner (with tienda).

Ultreia!

Hi, Bill!

I've just read your todays post on your blog. Got the feeling that I'm the one you're reffering to. No problems as I said.

But..., yes, there's still a "but", it wasn't my intention to teach you how to walk!

"I noticed that someone had posted on a Camino forum a couple of days ago a comment about my progress, excoriating me for doing a couple of 30km+ days, and saying a “true” pilgrim does about 20-24kms a day." you wrote.

Many of us, former Caminoists, wrote something. Why? Because you went out public! Otherwise we wouldn't know for you at all (OK, I would for yours films sake). I just went along with predecessors about slowing it down and the notice about the thoughts of many-times Camino "walkers" - Acacio and Orietta. Althought I agree totally with them, I simply wasn't telling you how to walk it your way.

Also English isn't my first language, so maybe that could also be the reason of misunderstanding.

Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Bill thank you very much for sharing your Camino, for those of us waiting to begin ours you touch on very important realities. The majority of folks who have replied show just how compasionate we all can be. Thank you again for your honest blog.
Keith

billbennettoz said:
I've just posted my thoughts on my first 9 days of walking. Already it's been confronting and transformative. http://pgstheway.com/category/the-camino/ (Day 10 - Rest & Reflection)
Nice reporting :) The best sentence found so far is "..on these long stretches that’s when your mind begins to really kick in on things that have been percolating on the Camino" :D
Buena continuación y Ultreya :wink: .

Bill - we're chomping at the bit to get on with our Camino which we plan to start in mid-June. You'll be long finished by then, but my Aussie husband has gotten a real kick out of your blog...laughing out loud at your Aussie lingo (e.g., ding dong blarney)...and we love your authenticity. Look forward to following you along the Way.

Buen Camino,
Susan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Bill
Really enjoying your blog and delight in reading it daily ...lovely photos and it looks beautiful weather at the moment.... We will be on a camino in early June !! Regards Jill - in Adelaide

Hi Bill: I am really enjoying following your journey. Your self-reflection has also given me much to think about pre-Camino. Your photographs are marvelous. Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Super blog and photos. I finished my Camino in September last: your thoughts and feelings are so familiar and your photos bring back so many happy memories :)

Enjoy the rest of your walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bill, I do love your photos and your thoughts and observations as you progress along the way. One of the things that I enjoy the most is the emotion that you put into your writing; you make me feel every step you take as you move through your Camino! It is inspiring :D Thanks, and may you have many blessings the rest of the Way!

Ultreia!

Mary

My husband and I are planning our camino for August - September and finding your blog very enlightening. Can't wait everday to read your updates. :D I have knee pain sometimes when I walk (age 66) and am trying to break in new hiking/walking shoes so have gotten a few blisters. :( Are you going on to Finisterre or Muxia? I don't want your blog to end.Believe I read that you are going to do a separate blog on food on the camino. Are you doing that yet or will that be when you get home?
Lynda & Dale

Bill-- while I cringed everytime you mention your knee pain (so sorry!), I enjoy the raw honesty of your observations, much of which is also translating very well on to your pictures. After years of looking at Camino pictures online, all of the sudden you seemed to capture these timeless images that scream loud and clear that the Camino of the Thousand Years is alive and well. So well done. :D

That said, for somebody who does not like to judge you seemed unable to avoid it, don't you...? :wink: I think it was Day 7 (or 8?) when you made a bit snarky remark about people who do the Camino in sections and who transfers bags. I am one of those. I am also one of them people who have a job with a max amount of leave at a time and.....(wouldn't you know it?) a lower back injury. Basically, it was either forever forget the notion to step on the Camino or save religiously so I can do it in sections. The path is clear and so is my conscience. :D

Your blog has bring a smile to my morning frequently and I thank you for that. I could not help a smile AND a shake of my head when I started reading that even among pilgrims who carry their bags there are sub-divisions-- the <25 kms/day versus the >25 kms/day......Oh, Lord! Seems to me we humans are powerless to the notion of ranking-- somebody MUST be on top or the world will cease to exist! Peleasssse.....

Much like the kind people above, I have to repeat: why don't you slow down a bit? Your blogs seem so much "calmer" after a slower day. Regardless, please know that I am so rooting for you and a safe arrival in Santiago. BUEN CAMINO!!!

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Up til now I have been a frequent lurker on this forum, asking a question here and there. Planning my Camino in either Fall 2013 or Spring 2014. Your blog is helping me face my fears of the Camino at 65 years. Will my bad knees hold up? Will my arthritic hip give out? Will I have the internal will to keep moving forward? Thank you for your honesty and your perserverance. I look forward to reading of the completion of your Camino. Thank you. Don

Hey Bill- just read your DAY 23....yep, agree-- you are not a very nice person. :wink: :D

next time, If their exhuberance bothers you (...and it would had bothered me , too), let them go by (been there, done that-- worked for everybody).

You are going well Bill :D From here on it's beautiful countryside and lots of excited pilgrims as you head towards Santiago: enjoy the experience. I look forward to reading about your exploits as you complete your journey.

Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your pics and thoughts on Days 26 and 27 just took my breath away.

I leave in less than a month, your blog is wonderful and makes me all the more ready to go. Just underlined the Samos monastery in my guidebook, I do not want to miss that. Thank you!

Bill, your blog is really so wonderful. I immensely enjoy reading your thoughts and observations. Thanks for sharing your journey. :)

Question: I know you've talked about the camera you're using, but I'm curious about how you're posting photos to your blog from the Camino. Are you uploading photos to computers at Internet cafes along the way? I would like to post photos from my camera (Sony Nex-5r) for my blog, when I hit the Camino in June, but I'm not sure about the best way to go about this. The photos on your blog are fantastic. If you have a moment, I would be grateful for your thoughts.

Take care and buen Camino!

Regards,
Tara

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bill, have thoroughly enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing. I am leaving next Sunday from Leon. Just wondering, have you been using a tripod? Just not sure if I want/need to carry one. I am taking my DSLR (just cannot leave it behind!)
Cheers
Angela

Very well done Bill: great to see you made it knees and all!!

Know how you felt in Santiago: 8 months since I finished mine and I'm still not sure what happened. All the same emotions you describe were mine too: no real elation but definitely satisfaction at having achieved what I set out to do.

Enjoy your time in Santiago and either walk to Finisterre or take a bus: it is well worth the effort. Oh and don't miss the pulpo...fab!! :D

I've just now come back onto the forum after completing the Camino.

It wasn't easy for me, as anyone following my blog would know. However I overcame my pain to be in Santiago to meet up with a friend who had given me his towel in Pamplona, on the proviso that I use it to keep my inflammed knee iced.

The towel was expensive, one of these hiking hi-tech ones, but it was his gesture of kindness and generosity that really affected me.

I really wanted to meet him in front of the Cathedral the day he flew back to Hungary to do a ritual handover of the towel, which is what I did! It was very emotional.

But that's the Camino. Extraordinary emotions, extraordinary friendships and bonds, an extraordinary experience.

If you want to catch up with the story of the towel, go to:

http://pgstheway.com/2013/05/08/day-29-the-towel/
http://pgstheway.com/2013/05/12/day-33- ... -handover/

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this forum and given me such wonderful encouragement. Now that I've rested (still in Santiago) I will reply over the next little while...

Bill

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Those who haven't read/followed Bill's blog are heartily encouraged to have a look; if nothing else for his extraordinary photography.

After becoming a Camino Forum addict a few months ago his is the one I look at each and every morning.

Bravo Bill for your writings, pics and fortitude in walking the Frances from end to end and telling us about your trials and tribulations along the way. I enjoyed each and every post and will be sorry to see you sign off.

IMO you gotta do Finisterre/Muxia, even if by bus; but then I didn't just walk 800kms....

Geoff

Dear Geoff, how wonderful for you to post this - thank you so much.

I feel very privileged to have had the opportunity to express my thoughts and feelings, and whilst the blog started out as something more for my friends and family, I soon realised that other people from around the world were following too - and so it became very important to me.

In one way it helped me get through some of the more difficult parts of my Camino!

I went to Muxia and Finesterre two years ago, and not sure my knee would appreciate the extra mileage - but am now working on the hard stuff to finish off my blog - what I've learnt from the Camino, and what it means to me.

Thank you again for both your support and your generous words. Feedback like this from people such as yourself makes it all worthwhile!

Bill

I thank YOU, Bill, for letting me vicariously walk El Camino Frances through your eyes and posts.

Because of health (and a few too many birthdays) reasons, I'm not ever likely to walk the Camino, but maybe that's why the good Lord invented taxis and buses. I would like to see some of the better known pit stops along the way, though, and perhaps wheels are the answer. This forum and your blog have started some other wheels turning.

I covered a lot of a small corner of Pays Basque in 2009 & 2011, in the area roughly cornered by Bayonne, Cambo les Bains, Pamplona and San Sebastian, while researching the routes used by downed WW2 Allied aviators escaping occupied Europe with the help of Belgian and French underground organizations -and Basque guides. Although my travels were centred primarily around the Baztan Valley and the Bidassoa & Nive River Valleys, your pics of the first few days of your trek brought back many fond memories of the Pyrenees.

I look forward to reading your continuing blog "assessments" of the various aspects of your journey and wish you well with all your future endeavours. I do hope you decide to write that book whether in paper or cyberspace format and will keep my eyes peeled for the unveiling.

Best regards, and thank you again.

Geoff

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

A message has just been posted on the Facebook account of the albergue in Roncesvalles. It seems the combination of pilgrim numbers beyond their capacity and poor weather has made this a difficult...
Hello everyone, This is a cry for help. I post this on behalf of my wife, who is walking the camino at the moment. Her backpack was taken away from the reception of the albergue Benedictina's...
I’m on the Camino Frances since April 4. I just finished the Meseta and it feels unpleasantly busy and has since the beginning. No time time to smell the roses or draw much. There is a sense from...
The group running the albergue in the ruins of the San Anton monastery near Castrojeriz have announced that the albergue and the ruins will be closed from 1 May until the ruins have been made...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and there's one bit of it that worries me. The descent from Collado de Lepoeder to Roncesvalles seems quite steep (according to the Wise Pilgrim app) which...
We are in SJPP today While we were standing in line today, one of my pilgrims met 3 people from Taiwan, who could not find a bed. He said he also saw several people on their phones, frantically...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.