• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Spanish Sim For the C Ingles & VDLP

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Hi Pilgrims

During my research of the C, Ingles and VDLP I not that for some Albergues you are required to phone for the key. Although I have a n iPhone and a package that lets me use the phone from Spain to the UK using my minutes and texts etc, it would prove to be expensive phoning Spain because it would be like phoning Spain from the UK (I think). Is there a real need to have a Spanish sim or can I get away with it?

Another alternative would be to suck up the cost of just using my iPhone, just looking for the easiest option.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A Spanish SIM costs only 5-10E with a starter package of data and phone calls. It will install in any unlocked 3-band GSM or smartphone. I have a Vodafone chip that I have used for a couple of years, adding a few Euros each year to keep it active. Vodafone in Spain does not reciprocate with Vodafone in the UK at the moment! I recommend a Spanish SIM chip.

If your iPhone is not unlocked, you can buy a 'non-smart' phone once in Spain for a very low cost, and buy a SIM card there for it. I took both my iPhone ( with roaming blocked), and an old unlocked phone (an ancient Motorola PEBL). In SpainI bought a SIM for the PEBL that had low Spanish rates and very low rates to call the US. After that phone met an untimely death, I went to The PhoneHouse (but there are lots of different stores) and bought a new, cheap non-smart Nokia and put my Spanish SIM into that. Yes, all you weight fanatics, that's TWO phones...but at the time iPhone didn't come unlocked. The cost of the non-smart phone and the SIM was way under the roaming charges or even the "overseas call and txt" plan offered by my US carrier.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A Spanish SIM costs only 5-10E with a starter package of data and phone calls. It will install in any unlocked 3-band GSM or smartphone. I have a Vodafone chip that I have used for a couple of years, adding a few Euros each year to keep it active. Vodafone in Spain does not reciprocate with Vodafone in the UK at the moment! I recommend a Spanish SIM chip.

I am aware that vodaphone Spain and UK are not compatible (seems a shame). cause I don't want to play around with the iPhone I think I might just use one of my old phones with a Spanish sim, was really trying to avoid having two phones on the camino.

I heard recently that all European (EU) phone companies have to stop roaming charges from March (?) next year. Does anyone know if this is correct?

I heard recently that all European (EU) phone companies have to stop roaming charges from March (?) next year. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Yes, roaming charges are gradually abolished in Europe, but as I understand it that applies to inside Europe only aka French phones can roam freely/at normal national charges in German phone networks etc but I am not sure that this would apply also to oversea phones. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Pilgrims

During my research of the C, Ingles and VDLP I not that for some Albergues you are required to phone for the key. Although I have a n iPhone and a package that lets me use the phone from Spain to the UK using my minutes and texts etc, it would prove to be expensive phoning Spain because it would be like phoning Spain from the UK (I think). Is there a real need to have a Spanish sim or can I get away with it?

Another alternative would be to suck up the cost of just using my iPhone, just looking for the easiest option.

Hola - I think that it is unlikely you will have to phone a hospitalera - perhaps at Neda and Presedo, the others Pontedeume, Betanzos, Bruma and Sigueiro the hospitaleros keep more regular hours. So the choice is yours - roaming charges are disappearing. For example I use Vodafone and for the last two years I've only paid 3 euros perday to access my normal charge package when I'm abroad. This will disappear next year.

Buen Camino

John

Powerful dual-sim android smartphones has been in the market for some years now. No need to bring 2 phones*. Prices range from U$20 to U$800.
I am just wondering (since I have never seen mention of it in the forums) if they have some kind of data plan for internet; or do albergues or restaurants have free wifi like here or in Alsa buses as advertised. I usually communicate home by (facebook) Messenger, either by text or call or pictures. It is fast and reliable and it is free (on-line).

*On the other foot**, if you have 2 phones, you have a spare in case the other one becomes unavailable.
** no hand, this is a major feat - pun intended

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
if they have some kind of data plan for internet; or do albergues or restaurants have free wifi like here or in Alsa buses
SIM chips on a pay as you go plan come with data and voice and sometimes text. Buses that have wifi may limit the amount you can use. You will be shut off after you have reached their limit. Google maps will use the allotment in about fifteen minutes; I suspect Facetime would be even shorter.

Wifi has become very common in bars and restaurants. In most cases you will have to ask for the password.

Gracias Waka y Falcon269.

I have seen the " @=internet " in the Index of the Albergue list. I had been wondering if "internet" means wifi or some kind of internet cafe where one has to pay; because there is "@free" and "@" only. Thanks again.

I heard the same here in the Netherlands that by law will be arranged that roamingcharges will be stopped somewhere in 2017.

If you buy a Spanish or Portuguese prepaid simcard, remind that it only will be valid for half a year.
I bought my 15€ Vodaphone prepaid simcard in Lisbon and there were about 9€ left after coming back from our caminho .I wanted to use them the next time a year later on the camino Inglès but the simcard was blocked. Not a big deal but okay it is good to know.
Nowadays we never buy a simcard again when we are abroad.
Because (almost) everywhere is (free) wifi ,I make my calls by internet.
downloaded the app Talk360° on my Iphone and have very cheap rates.
A 30 minutes long call in Portugal to a Portuguese fixed number 0,59€
A call from home in the Netherlands to relatives in Los Angeles CA with my Iphone and using this app during 15 minutes for 0,12 €. Very conveniant.
The only thing is you'll need a strong wifi signal. For us it works.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
IMG_2372.JPG

This is what we use.. to our dear ones and friends we also use the free phone function in Whatsapp by wifi and sometimes Apple's Imessage.

At home we have no fixed phone connection anymore. Both my wife and I use Iphones with prepaid cards. Our annual phone costs are less than 40€ ! And if we are not on the camino we travel like "nomads :) for 3 months a year through Europe , only using the wifi connections we encounter on campingsites, restaurants, bars, libraries.
I must admit we are no mobilephone junkies.:)

Last edited:
Gracias Waka y Falcon269.

I have seen the " @=internet " in the Index of the Albergue list. I had been wondering if "internet" means wifi or some kind of internet cafe where one has to pay; because there is "@free" and "@" only. Thanks again.

There is plenty of free wifi around on the CF, nearly 'seamless' ;-) The amount of internet cafes on the other hand seems to have decreased in recent years as nearly 'everybody' has their own smartphone. Buen Camino, SY

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, finally plans for Camino Ingles become real, some accomodations, booked already, checking flights, etc..., starting 02june :) We are taking it slow, 8 days on the road, below are our stages...
We lost a set of black Leki trekking poles today between Ferrol and Neda just past the Monastario de San Martino. We sat down for a rest near the top of the hill amidst the houses. The poles were...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back