• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting Beginning of December

jonesmrgrt

Time of past OR future Camino
12/02/2023 Lisbon to Santiago
Hello!

EDIT: Okay, after doing some math and looking at the dates I HAVE to work between I think a better idea is to spend some days in Lisbon, then travel by train or such to Porto and begin my walk there.... otherwise I am leaving NO room or time for dawdling...

I am starting the camino at the beginning of December 2nd or 3rd (depends on if I miss my connecting flight from Philadephia or not!)

I have been reading a lot here and planning on making it up as I go. I am either going to walk very fast or perhaps take out a couple days with trains or something as I don't have very many days.

From what I have read it sounds like I should plan ahead for my accommodations and call ahead to book. Also that I might need to plan to carry more food as not as many places might be open?

I guess I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions, reassurance, and if anyone else will be out during December?

Best
MJ

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You didn't tell much about your fitness and your amount of days.
From Lissabon to Santiago de Compostela its approximately 730 km. Gronze is using 26 days for this distance, which results in 28km per day.

You didn't tell much about your fitness and your amount of days.
From Lissabon to Santiago de Compostela its approximately 730 km. Gronze is using 26 days for this distance, which results in 28km per day.

True! I would say very fit, my job (wildland firefighter) requires me to hike and be active although it's been slow recently so I am expecting a certain amount of dusting off the walking cobwebs, especially with the hard surfaces.

I fly into Lisbon on Dec 2, and out on the 20th. I think 40km in a day is a very reasonable amount for me to walk in a day.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Currently I've decided not to go from Lisbon but instead travel to either Fatima or Porto to start walking.

That would give me a day in Lisbon and a rest day in Porto, or a couple days in Lisbon and Porto, respectively.

I think I'd really like to experience some of the Camino south of Porto so I am trying to figure out a way to start between Lisbon and Porto however a friend says I should definitely spend at least a couple days in Lisbon.

I suppose I am struggling with my time frame as I didn't know about the Camino before booking my flights and don't know how (or IF) I should balance it with some "tourism".

Currently I've decided not to go from Lisbon but instead travel to either Fatima or Porto to start walking.

That would give me a day in Lisbon and a rest day in Porto, or a couple days in Lisbon and Porto, respectively.

I think I'd really like to experience some of the Camino south of Porto so I am trying to figure out a way to start between Lisbon and Porto however a friend says I should definitely spend at least a couple days in Lisbon.

I suppose I am struggling with my time frame as I didn't know about the Camino before booking my flights and don't know how (or IF) I should balance it with some "tourism".
Also based on my little spreadsheet my options are:
Porto to Santiago : 272 km
Fatima to Santiago : 503 km
Santarem to Santiago: 556 km

Could be off a bit and I am planning on coastal route,

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also based on my little spreadsheet my options are:
Porto to Santiago : 278 km
Fatima to Santiago : 509 km
Santarem to Santiago: 562 km

Could be off a bit and I am planning on coastal route, plus variante spiritual and taking the boat from Villanova to Pontecesures.
So, with a few necessary 40km days and a bit of sightseeing you should be able to make a Camino de Santiago from Porto to Santiago allowing for some public transport days and getting back to the airport in Lisbon. Sounds like a plan. I think I’d probably try to avoid any further complications. You could always just spend some time in Lisbon. Soak up some Fado and some https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginjinha. The walk up to Sintra is worth the effort. If you really want to make pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago, given your close out date Porto is your best starting point

Happy planning

So, with a few necessary 40km days and a bit of sightseeing you should be able to make a Camino de Santiago from Porto to Santiago allowing for some public transport days and getting back to the airport in Lisbon. Sounds like a plan. I think I’d probably try to avoid any further complications. You could always just spend some time in Lisbon. Soak up some Fado and some https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginjinha. The walk up to Sintra is worth the effort. If you really want to make pilgrimage to the bones of Santiago, given your close out date Porto is your best starting point

Happy planning
Thank you for your reassurance!

I went down a rabbit hole of "What makes a 'good' camino? What makes a 'good' pilgrimage/pilgrim?" today. I got to fight my reaction of "more is better!", come up with a general plan of Porto to Santiago with days on either end. Perhaps the journey sometimes starts before we even start walking... It's a mental transition anyway and while I may not have as many days walking an actual path I can still start adjusting my mindset...

I was looking at Sintra and am glad to hear it's worth it. Thank you for the recommendation!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll be ahead of you a couple of days? I am flying to Oporto on Friday from the UK. Fairly early evening arrival.

Back in December 2020 I got from Lisbon to Figueira do Foz, with a couple of days stuck in Óbidos in pouring rain (a nice town to wait out of the rain) during the period when Portugal had a strict Curfew policy. I've been meaning to return and reconnect with the Caminho along the coast to Oporto, as I must return one day to see the gentleman who gave me free food and a blessing to get to Santiago for him... (Which I just did last weekend), but I'd also like to see other pilgrims and not be so isolated as I have been the past so many years walking the 'other' routes in France and Spain...

Never know I might see a firefighter along that route from Oporto if I slow down?

I have walked both from Porto (2015) and from Lisbon (2017) (Lisbon, Tomar, Coimbra, Porto, Santiago). Your plan seems well-thought out, and you will experience both large cities.

My suggestion would be to fly to Lisbon, maybe spend a day to get the layout of the city so you can plan ahead for the tail-end. Take the train to Porto, spend a day or two there, then walk the 10-11 days to Santiago.

Travel from Santiago back to Lisbon (train, bus, or plane), then depart to home from Lisbon. The advantage to this, is that it gives you maximum flexibility to see more things in the area of Lisbon. Examples include a one-hour train ride to Sintra, or a day trip to Fatima. Both are easily reached from Lisbon.

This allows you to expand or contract your remaining time at Lisbon to suit your return flight. I did it this way, after I walked Lisbon-Porto-Santiago (in 2017). I enjoyed three full days in Lisbon before flying home on TAP.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!

EDIT: Okay, after doing some math and looking at the dates I HAVE to work between I think a better idea is to spend some days in Lisbon, then travel by train or such to Porto and begin my walk there.... otherwise I am leaving NO room or time for dawdling...

I am starting the camino at the beginning of December 2nd or 3rd (depends on if I miss my connecting flight from Philadephia or not!)

I have been reading a lot here and planning on making it up as I go. I am either going to walk very fast or perhaps take out a couple days with trains or something as I don't have very many days.

From what I have read it sounds like I should plan ahead for my accommodations and call ahead to book. Also that I might need to plan to carry more food as not as many places might be open?

I guess I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions, reassurance, and if anyone else will be out during December?

Best
MJ
We walked late November, and yes, not so many places open to eat and best to book ahead. Supermarkets and food shops open, though.

I have walked both from Porto (2015) and from Lisbon (2017) (Lisbon, Tomar, Coimbra, Porto, Santiago). Your plan seems well-thought out, and you will experience both large cities.

My suggestion would be to fly to Lisbon, maybe spend a day to get the layout of the city so you can plan ahead for the tail-end. Take the train to Porto, spend a day or two there, then walk the 10-11 days to Santiago.

Travel from Santiago back to Lisbon (train, bus, or plane), then depart to home from Lisbon. The advantage to this, is that it gives you maximum flexibility to see more things in the area of Lisbon. Examples include a one-hour train ride to Sintra, or a day trip to Fatima. Both are easily reached from Lisbon.

This allows you to expand or contract your remaining time at Lisbon to suit your return flight. I did it this way, after I walked Lisbon-Porto-Santiago (in 2017). I enjoyed three full days in Lisbon before flying home on TAP.

Hope this helps.

Tom
That's what I'd do myself, the route from Porto is beautiful and you'll have time to see Lisbon and Porto, both wonderful cities.
You can always come back and do the stages south of Porto another time, but you'll enjoy walking by the sea whatever the weather, and there are some very fine albergues.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'll be ahead of you a couple of days? I am flying to Oporto on Friday from the UK. Fairly early evening arrival.

Back in December 2020 I got from Lisbon to Figueira do Foz, with a couple of days stuck in Óbidos in pouring rain (a nice town to wait out of the rain) during the period when Portugal had a strict Curfew policy. I've been meaning to return and reconnect with the Caminho along the coast to Oporto, as I must return one day to see the gentleman who gave me free food and a blessing to get to Santiago for him... (Which I just did last weekend), but I'd also like to see other pilgrims and not be so isolated as I have been the past so many years walking the 'other' routes in France and Spain...

Never know I might see a firefighter along that route from Oporto if I slow down?

That could be lovely! Do you have any time frame for when you will be on the path?

Hope this helps.

Tom
I really like that suggestion...

I was sort of thinking of doing it kind of opposite. De jetlag and explore Lisbon on the front end for a couple days. Take the train to Porto. Spend a day for that travel, see about acquiring a credencial, and just hangout for a bit.

Then walk and depending on my timing spend more time in Porto on the way back rather than have a whole 8ish hours from Santiago to Lisbon.

I looked up trains/buses and it seems like there are frequent trips from Lisbon-Porto and back and frequent Santiago-Porto but more limited Santiago-Lisbon.

I might just be over thinking it but somehow that sounds and feels more flexible to me and allows for more travel during the early morning or evening rather than daylight hours.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello!

Best
MJ
I walked the Portugues from Lisboa in 23 days including walking from the airport to Lisbon Cathedral upon arrival. That was October 2023 and had no need to book. I'm sure someone younger could do the same walk in 20 days or less, but, I wouldn't want to.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!

Best
MJ
I just did it from Lisbon to Santiago Oct. 16-Nov. 12, I met a few folks who were doing around 40km a day however from Lisbon to Porto it tends to lend itself best to following the stages which are around 30-34km because there aren’t always places open where you might want to stop. I.e. you want to do 40km but the next place might be more like 50km because you didn’t stop at the one around the 35km mark.
But I’m sure some of the days it might line up, best to see ahead of time. Training some of the parts might help out too. Definitely more scenic from Porto onward.
You could ever train to Tomar and start there.

I reckon you might see some people but it will probably be quite quiet. It was quiet Lisbon - Porto when I was walking end of of October. After Porto there always seems to be some pilgrims out so I’m sure you will cross paths.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.