• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting in Caceres in June

AElizabeth27

Greetings to all,

I apologize as I realize similar topics regarding weather have been discussed quite extensively previously on this forum.

Most guides/advice says to avoid starting Via de la Plata in July/August, and I am wondering if anyone has any advice regarding starting at the beginning of June. Due to time constraints, I also plan on starting in Caceres or possibly even Salamanca. Does this seems like a feasible plan or is the heat already prohibitively oppressive by that time of year? For a bit of context, I am coming from New Orleans, so I think just about anything might seem relatively cool, but I don't pretend to want to hike in 38 degree weather with a backpack. :D

Thank you in advance for your responses and I would greatly appreciate any advice you care to share with a first-time pilgrim.

Best,

AElizabeth27

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Beginning of June does not seem like the worst of plans. I believe that July and August are the "killer" months for us pilgrims on the VdlP. So just plan ahead, IMHO. Ahh: And buen camino!

Hi AElizabeth27,

Starting in Salamanca would be a piece of cake :) and in Cáceres you would have already avoided Andalucia and a portion of Extremadura so I would say go for it! And as to the heat I can only speak about starting in Sevilla beginning July and that is a whole other story!

Buen Camino,
LT

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Elizabeth!
The beginning of June will be hot - but not unbearably so. And you can start your walks early morning [you have to be out of the albergue by 8 a.m. anyway]. Some peregrinos start walking at 6 a.m. to enjoy the cool. If you can get 4 hours of walking in before the main heat of the day, that's probably 16 kms.
Take sun blocker - and I mean blocker. Wear a hat. Take some long trousers in case the backs of your legs get burned.
I hope to be finishing the VdlP by May 28th, and I know it'll be quite hot, even then - but as an Englishman I look forward to the warmth!!
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Thanks so much Alex, LT, and Stephen. I will continue with my plans to walk during June. I'm very excited for this adventure, and I appreciate your help in my preparations.

Best,

AElizabeth

Hi AElizabeth,

I am starting the Camino DlP from Zamora in August - so am also thinking it will be rather warm!

I did the first part (from Seville to Merida) in April this year and got hopelessly hooked. However the weather in April was pretty chilly and I am quite looking forward to some August heat.

You will be ahead of me I should think but I will look out for your tracks!
If you need kit lists etc let me know as I have done this kind of thing before (but not in august!)
I am half convinced I am a lunatic.

Regards,
Rachel

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Go for it, but remember to take a lot of water. That's the main thing. And sunblock, as previously mentioned. I walked the VDLP last March, and didn't think to take sunscreen, as it was about 30 degrees F. back home when I left. One day the sun was so warm and strong (not that hot, but warm and strong) that I burned the backs of my calves. Of course it was while I was on a 20-mile segment with no towns in between. Luckily it had rained a lot in the days beforehand, so I found a puddle of mud and caked it along the backs of my legs to prevent further burns! Sunblock would have been better. :)

Melanie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Friends! I'm new to the group (from Australia) after walking nine previous Camino's, and currently planning the VDLP with friends for March/April 2026. I've been quietly lurking while putting...
Does Salamanca to Cuba del Vino (stage 20) involve 20km on tarmac, on the N-630? Or does the Camino run as a separate track, alongside (not on!) the asphalted road, and this more comfortable for...
Hi All, Greetings from the VdlP. We are a small bunch about 12 to 15 peregrine and some people biking. We're a friendly lot getting to know each other well. Most people here have walked...
Hi, it's not on Gronze, but it is on the Salamanca Tourist Office website. Tried ringing the number given, but no answer. Sent a message to the tourist office, but no reply...is the albuerge...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back