• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting the French way in Saint Jean mid February

Gianni3333

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 Frances St Jean Pied de Port - Santiago
2013 Frances St Jean Pied de Port -,Santiago
2016 Frances St Jean Pied de Port - Santiago
Hi everyone Gianni from California here, I'm walking the French way and starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port around February 17th. Just curious if anyone else will be starting around that time.

Thanks,

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi and welcome to the forum Gianni. I am walking the Via de la Plata February/March, but perhaps we see each other in Santiago? Buen Camino, SY

Hi everyone Gianni from California here, I'm walking the French way and starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port around February 17th. Just curious if anyone else will be starting around that time.

Thanks,

Buen Camino

Hello from Ireland Gianni,

Afraid you will be a week behind me so hopefully I won`t meet you on the road !! Unless of course you are cycling.

This is my third year to walk in February and I am sure you will meet up with a great group of people . Last year I struck gold---an Italian Chef who cooked for us most nights ! Top class food and great crack around the dinner table every night.

Buen Camino,

Charlie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Afraid you will be a week behind me so hopefully I won`t meet you on the road !! Unless of course you are cycling.

This is my third year to walk in February and I am sure you will meet up with a great group of people . Last year I struck gold---an Italian Chef who cooked for us most nights ! Top class food and great crack around the dinner table every night.

Buen Camino,

Charlie
Hi Charlie

Hi and welcome to the forum Gianni. I am walking the Via de la Plata February/March, but perhaps we see each other in Santiago? Buen Camino, SY

Hi, and thank you. Yes Santiago will be amazing and we're just in time for Easter. Have a great walk.

Hey

Buen Camino,

Charlie

Hey Charlie,

Yes it is my third time as well. All in February. I'll keep my eyes out for chefs!! Haha! Have a great walk. See you in Santiago!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It`s funny but every time it gets near to setting off I really feel great looking forward to meeting all the nice people I have never met before but who remain always in my thoughts.

The old bones are creaking a bit but sure that is part of the fun

Thanks,

Buen Camino
Hi, I am Mindaugas from Lithuania and I am walking French route as well. I am coming 17th late to Pamplona. On 18th I'll try to get somehow to Saint Jean Pied de Pot. Problem is that buses are not going till 1st of March. Anyway, Gianni, I'll follow you and maybe catch up somewhere ;-)

@MindaugasB you do realise that the Route Napoleon from SJPDP to Roncesvales is closed until 30 March, don't you? It is closed because it is considered too dangerous for walkers. People have died up there. No decrying the route through Valcarlos but it seems like a lot of effort to get from Pamplona to SJPDP when Roncesvales is the traditional starting place in Spain anyway.

I don't understand why people are starting in SJPDP in winter, unless they are already in France.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
New to the form. Im an early retiree. I am looking to start the camino sometime soon. Could start as early as 17 Feb. I am from Portland Oregon USA. I may start at Roncesvalles Spain side.

Last edited:
Hi, I am Mindaugas from Lithuania and I am walking French route as well. I am coming 17th late to Pamplona. On 18th I'll try to get somehow to Saint Jean Pied de Pot. Problem is that buses are not going till 1st of March. Anyway, Gianni, I'll follow you and maybe catch up somewhere ;-)

Hey Mindaugas,

Yes that sounds great. It looks like we're lucky this year. It doesn't seem to be as cold or snowing. I'm sure we will cross paths.

Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Anyone looking for current weather data along the Camino could try here: http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo/prediccion/comunidades?k=nav&w=22&o=pais

The site also contains historic records to provide climate data as well as weather predictions.

Edit: Google Chrome will provide an instant translation to your selected language for those whose Spanish ain't too hot. (other Browsers are available)

Hey Mindaugas,

Yes that sounds great. It looks like we're lucky this year. It doesn't seem to be as cold or snowing. I'm sure we will cross paths.

Buen Camino!
Great! :)
Moderator wrote this:
"...do realise that the Route Napoleon from SJPDP to Roncesvales is closed until 30 March, don't you? It is closed because it is considered too dangerous for walkers..."
What do think? Are you coming to SJPDP from France?

M

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Great! :)
Moderator wrote this:
"...do realise that the Route Napoleon from SJPDP to Roncesvales is closed until 30 March, don't you? It is closed because it is considered too dangerous for walkers..."
What do think? Are you coming to SJPDP from France?

M
Yes I do realize it is closed. I have walked from SJPP two previous times and both at this time of the year. It is still an amazing walk to go over the pyrenees. Yes I will arrive in Paris and take a train to SJPP. The first time we landed in Madrid, then took a train to Pamplona. Then a taxi to SJPP. I think there is a bus from Pamplona to SJPP but I'm not sure if it runs that early in the year or the times.

Most read last week in this forum

Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back