• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Stay in Bayonne or SJPdP?

AMK1982

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon-Santiago de Compostela August 2013
My return to the Camino is getting closer! Yay. :)

I will be arriving in Biarritz 18.55 august 15 and I am now contemplating what to do in terms of accommodation.
Do I:

A)Stay the night in Bayonne. Catch the early train the following morning to SJPdP walk around town, spent the night in a hostel and then walk all the way to Roncesvalles

B) Stay the night in Bayonne. Catch the early train the following morning to SJPdP walk around town a little before going to Orrison where I spend the night and then walk to Roncesvalles (or further) the following day.

C) Head straight to SJPdP and stay a night before walking to Orrison around noon and staying there

D) Head straight to STJPdP and spend two nights before walking all the way to Roncesvalles in the early morning.

I am used to walking a lot (being from Denmark I most admit that I am not used to hiking in mountains ;-)) so I am certain I will be able to walk all the way from SJPdP to Roncesvalles but am afraid I might overdo it if I start walking the early morning after my late arrival. But it also seems like a "waste" of time staying either two nights in SJPdP or staying over at Orrison when I don't really think I need it.

Last year I walked Leon-Santiago in 12 days so although I haven't crossed the Pyrenees yet nor finished a full Camino I am not a complete Camino novice. :)

What would you do?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Arrive in Biarritz, spend the night in the Petit Hotel by the beach, take train to StJPP in the morning, go to pilgrim office, stamp passport, walk about, then walk to Orrison.
Buen Camino.

Arrive in Biarritz, spend the night in the Petit Hotel by the beach, take train to StJPP in the morning, go to pilgrim office, stamp passport, walk about, then walk to Orrison.
Buen Camino.

Thank you for your reply. :)

Biarritz seems like a lovely place but since I am arriving late and leaving early I am guessing it won't be worth the extra money staying there?

Why do you suggest Biarritz instead of Bayonne?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you decide to take an airport bus to Bayonne and next morning continue to SJPdP, the Monte Carlo in Bayonne is a good inexpensive simple hotel choice which faces the Bayonne train station.

MM

Thanks mspath. If I am to stay in Bayonne that is the hotel I have my eyes on. Would you stay in Bayonne the first night? If so why?

Maybe I should add that I will be arriving to Biarritz on a direct flight from Copenhagen so I won't be struggling with jetlag upon arrival. ;-)

Thanks mspath. If I am to stay in Bayonne that is the hotel I have my eyes on. Would you stay in Bayonne the first night? If so why?...

I would be very intent on getting to SJPdP and Bayonne is the next stop on that ongoing journey. Biarritz is another world for me.

MM

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I
I would be very intent on getting to SJPdP and Bayonne is the next stop on that ongoing journey. Biarritz is another world for me.

MM

I have no intentions to stay in Biarritz. Either Bayonne or SJPdP. I would say that I prefer going to SJPdP the first day but am unsure if that is possible due to my late arrival in France.

I think I prefer solution C but on the other hand I would really like to do SJPdP-Roncesvalles in one go. But it seems like a lot to spend two nights in SJPdP before starting the walk when I am very eager to get started even now a month away. Decisions decisions.

And unfortunately I can't just decide as I go as I need to book Orrison in advance.

Thank you for your reply. :)

Biarritz seems like a lovely place but since I am arriving late and leaving early I am guessing it won't be worth the extra money staying there?

Why do you suggest Biarritz instead of Bayonne?
If this is the case I would agree with mspath and stay opposite the station in Bayonne.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would love to hear thoughts/experiences from others as well since I still haven't really found the answer.

How did you tackle the first days?

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back