A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Staying a second night in a city

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2008, half Via del Plata 2011, Camino Fisterra 2011, Camino Aragones 2013.
There are a few cities I would like to check out properly (eg Leon, Logrono, Pamplona) and perhaps stay a second night there. Are people disinclined to do this because it means they fall a day behind friends they have made on the camino? I know you're only allowed stay the one night in the albergues but is it possible to do a sly one and move to a different albergue within the city or will the credencial stamps give it away?

Advertisment

JohnnieWalker

Nunca se camina solo
Donating Member
It may be that by the time you get to where you want a day off you will be so inspired with the spirit of pilgrimage you won't want to "do a sly one" - we celts have such graphic phrases :)

Just ask at the albergue and if it isn't possible what people usually do for sightseeing days is use a hostal of which there are many in the big cities - it is also a chance to catch up on washing etc.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
Senyor Pirotecnic - if you have extra days, why don't you hire a car in Santiago and drive back home staying in the cities you want to spend time in? There are youth hostels and low cost pensions you could stay in.

Trudy

Camino(s) past & future
(2006) Roncesvalles to Leon (2007) Leon to Compostela
A lot of pilgrims stay an extra night in the bigger cities such as Burgos and Leon. Not only is there plenty to see, but it's nice to have an occasional rest day. If you want, stay in the municipal albergue for the first night and find a cheap hotel for the second. However, if you stay in a private albergue, ask about staying a second night as many will allow you to do so. I did this in Astorga as I was fascinated by the city and wanted more time to explore, but in Burgos and Leon stayed in hotels.

viajero

I'm not sure when you are walking. I walked in March and as it was not crowded, several of the albergues let people stay more than one night.

Advertisment

OLDER threads on this topic

Advertisement

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 24 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 84 15.8%
  • May

Votes: 141 26.6%
  • June